Chapter 7 – A Dish Best Served Sweet~
125 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, so GOOD!" The small bunnykin girl exclaimed, chowing down on a steak like her life depended on it. Rabbits eat meat? No wait, she said she was a hare, not that I know the difference. Nor does this change the fact I have a very real urge to do- Well whatever, this tavern is actually even nicer than it looked from the outside. Brightly lit, elaborately carved tables and seating as well as fine looking cloth draped all over the place. The staff even have a neat but not very practical uniform! 

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself Astrid, the food here seems pretty nice." Mom said with a smile on her face, basking in the sight of an adorable bunny chowing down with glee. Koko took her time, slowly savouring her own meal whilst mom and I were just happy to have a good meaty meal again.

"Shoo Whhu wh gnna do tuhhmurrur" Astrid gobbled out between bites. 

"We? So you'll join us for quests Astrid?" I excitedly questioned.

"You'd like that huh, Ava?" Mom quickly retorted, the corner of her mouth raised in a devious arc.

*cough* "I just meant Astrid seems to be a very capable fighter, she leaped right over the wolf in the battle!" I mumbled out embarrassingly. 

"Ahem~ I mean, if you don't mind me joining I'd be happy to, you did save me already, I mean if I'm not imposin-" Astrid was cut off mid sentence.

"Of course you can join us Astrid, think nothing of it." Mom said with her warm, reaffirming tone. Astrid smiled back, lowering her head, slightly flush. Cute~ 

We enjoyed the rest of our meal jovially until it came to dessert. Mom had secretly ordered cake slices that were smothered in light pink icing, the sweetness irradiated to my very core. Everyones eyes burned with passion, as if we were starving wolves we jumped our prey. It's.. it's... fluffy? I'm drooling I can feel it, so delicious, who made this? Tell me I need to know how to have this everyday! Koko clearly in agreement held onto her face with tears flowing, that might be a bit of an overreaction Koko? No? Mom looked as touched as Koko did, clearly proud at her choice. Astrid somehow remained as cute as ever, slowly nibbling the cake as if she'd die if it ran out.

Our cake filled minds however were rudely interrupted by the sound of a shrill pompous voice, "Who the hell let those animals in here?" 

I grit my teeth while turning around to see a gangly man with slick black hair and a disgusting amount of shiny gold jewellery plastered all over him. He scoffed in our direction and pointed, "These animals leave mess all over the plac-" Suddenly his speech collapsed. His eyes locked onto Astrid and a vile smirk met his lips, he motioned to another I hadn't noticed until now. A tall, borish looking man entered from behind the wall, messy amber hair nestled on top of his head. A pair of large battleaxes hung from his back, 'some kind of barbarian?'

Following a momentary whisper the giant began his descent towards us. 

"Hey, pretty little lady with the white hair, how about you come with me? My boss has an offer for you that you simply cannot refuse!" A putrid, shit eating grin smeared across his face. Astrid recoiling tried to get away from the man, the barb wasn't having any of that and tried to reach out for her. 

...

Badum~

...

"GAH! What the FUCK! Youu-" He spat out in anger, without thinking I had already jumped in front of Astrid and clawed down his arm leaving a nasty gash. My heart was pumping again, I took a feral stance while growing at him. Thankfully Koko and mom also moved alongside me. The man staring at me with contempt spat on the ground and started walking back to his boss,

"Come on boss, this isn't the time or place for this shit." He sighed before giving me one last glare.

"Pah! Pathetic! What do I hire you for?" The compensating man barked out while still following him out the establishment.

My sight never left the two assholes until they were out of reach however a sudden hand on my shoulder threw me into shock. I briefly lost my senses and when I came to I was on top of Astrid panting, her eyes were wide with bewilderment at the situation. 

"Uhh- A- Ava?" she sheepishly muttered. 

"Ah- Sorry Astrid" I mustered my best apologetic tone, completely conflicted. 

Crawling off the scared bunny I felt embarrassed, filled with regret and yet my heart raced. Once again I felt like there would never be a day I could control myself around this person, why? We both stood up, a shade redder than before and mom of course took her chance to tease.

"My my such youth! Come on guys lets head home now, it's a shame our meal was spoiled but we can always come back another time right?" 

"Right we'll meet tomorrow and earn some more cake money!" Wait koko- don't you think you're excited for the wrong reason there?

We decided to escort Astrid back to the inn she was staying at before making our own way back to the B&B. When we arrived Ayla was tidying up so we gave her a hand before heading up to bed. Getting ready for bed took a sudden turn when mom's face changed to a sly grin.

"So Ava baby, what was that all about? hmm~" A coy, teasing tone resounded from her. Unfortunately what I did not expect was Koko would join in, she's starting to show sides I'd never seen before. 

"Hehe~ Maybe little Ava's in loveeee?" Oi- Who you calling little? I'm older than you.

"Ahem~ She just needed help okay? She's our friend now and as friends, we should protect one another right?"

"Right, right! Also pounce on our friend in the middle of a crowd..." Moms grin widened. 

Guh- Not much I can say about that one. It's that same damn feeling again, everytime I look at her its like I'm free running through the jungle and nothing can stop me. Not to mention it makes me want to- 

*cough*

Taking on a serious face I proclaim, "Anyway, I had a thought, we need a lead on the invaders so the guild should be the best place to start right? I mean that or we can beat the pompous rich guy from info right?"

"Ava" Mom glared disapprovingly.

"Just a joke mom!" I said

"But yes, that is a good idea, we'll ask the John tomorrow morning before we find a job, now lets head to bed and get some well earned rest you two."

"yessss" x2

...

Badum~

...

9