Chapter 8 – Tale of Two Brothers
110 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Uuuuhhhhhhh, MOM GET OFF MEEEEEEEE!"

This marks the too many damn days in a row I've awoken to crushing asphyxiation courtesy of mom. Prehaps a little too violent of a morning call, Koko fell off the bed in freight, sorry Kokie~

Today's plan already set in stone, we made our way to the guild hall to start our day.

"Yo Johnny bo-" My mom was immediately interupted with a fierce glare from John who clearly had an aversion to that greeting, I wonder why?

"Ah, it's you three, how can I help you today?" Johns face returning to his customer complexion, is this man secretly an actor? Or a nation spy?

"Just some personal business really, have you ever seen this sigil before?" Mom holds up a drawing resembling the clashing short swords to Johns eye level. He pondered for a moment before replying,

"I've certainly seen something this before, a crest belonging to the Empire of Aela but I wouldn't know which faction it belongs to, sorry."

"Damn." Mom muttered.

"It's okay seyu, we can keep searching, just a minor setback." Koko comforted.

"Right, lets go grab a drink and wait for Astrid to arrive" I said. So we did, just some water mind you but coldly refreshing none the less, do they have some kind of ice magic device?

A short wait later and Astrid showed up as promised, "Heeeyyyyyy! Did you guys wait long?" she shouted out with glee upon seeing us.

"Not long, we had a little business first anyway." I smiled back. That was until she came close and her overwhelming flowery fragrance took hold of me once more, digging my nails in I try to hold myself back. What is it about this fucking bunny that compels me so? 

"Oi Astrid your floppy ear makes me want to bite it." I sai- I SAID? figuratively burying my head in the sand after that one, I once again watched in horror at the twitching corners of my moms mouth. Astrid was of course bright red, stammering out some response that no one could possible understand. 

"Heh, come on Koko lets go look at the board and leave these two to have a chat." MOM? waahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~

Wait Koko you're not actually going are you? T- traitor. Betrayl. Suffering. Glancing towards Astrid, I shook at the sight of her adorable twitching ears accompanied by the never-ending shy rambling, all while bouncing on her feet. Energizer bunny.

'Okay so this isn't the first time I've made it awkward like this, I should just apologise and explain myself right? Or at least try to?'

Before I could start my slow descent into madness Astrid muttered something incomprehensible.

"iiiii if you're gonna bbbbbite my eear pllease be genttle~"

Ah- Huh? Huh? Did I hear that right? I did didn't I? oi say that again. Nope who could hold back after that, thank you for the meeeaall~

Approaching my prey I could see clearly her moist eyes, Woah there Ava, what is it that you were about to do? Coming, somewhat, to my senses I carefully slid my arms around her, gently stroking her back. 

"I'm sorry asty, I keep being really weird around you and I swear I'm not usually like this, I promise! Something weird has been happening with me lately and then I can't help but find you irresistibly cute and I know we just met and this is weird I'm sorry, forget I said that! uuuuuu~"

Pulling away from the impromptu hug, Astrids face was frozen. 

I broke her. 

FUCK

I-is there a return system for bunnygirls? Can I get her fixed? 

"oioioioi Astrid are you okay? Yyyyou don't have to worry about what I just said, just ignore it- oi Astrid? Astriidd?!"

Shaking her shoulders, quite violently at this point I'm noticing more and more eyes are pointing in our direction. Not good, not good, come on Asty say something here.

"A-Asty?" She peeped out. turning a shade of crimson I have never seen anyone don.

"Yeah, sorry is that too much? I just thought it fit you and-"

She nodded vigorously "I love it! Thank you so much Ava!" A smile beamed on her face, practically humming. Did she hear anything I said after asty?

Give me back my dignity, please.

 

                                                                                                                        ***

 

So Asty and I made our way to the quest board to meet up with Koko and mom. Asty practically skipping while I felt like I just fought a life or death battle with 5 hungry bears. Apparently mom had already found a quest for us to take but the moment we arrived Asty's face contorted in anger, glaring at a piece of paper with two names at the top.

Flynn & Flann, a bandit brother duo whom have been on the run for quite some time, known to frequent a few towns in this region. More often than not, sighted around Geilun, according to the notice written here. Squeezing her hand to get her attention without alarming her, an action that somehow, once again did not slip by mom. That damn grin. Unfortunately Asty didn't take any notice but subconsciously squeezed back, gritting her teeth until she sighed out. 

"Sorry, I don't know if I can go with you guys after all." 

"Hey Asty, can you explain yourself? I mean you don't have to, everyone has their secrets but we'll help if we can you know." I calmly comforted her. Her face changed from bitterness to sadness and finally resignation accompanied by relief when she finally sighed again.

"Sorry, you're right, please just listen to my selfishness for a little while, I'll explain myself." 

Apparently this despicable duo of brothers are maniacs who take any job they're given. This same duo killed Astrids family, brutally, selling her sister into slavery. Astrid with the help of her sister managed to escape before she was caught too, Asty spent years tracking her sister, only to find her dead and strung up as a mantlepiece to some sick noble belonging to the empire. Many, many tears later, we all gave Asty a crushing group hug however she put on a brave face saying its all in the past. There was just one loose end to finally put that past far behind her.

Needless to say we demanded to take this quest with her, like hell we'd leave her alone after hearing all that anyway, not that I planned on separating from her anyway... 

We agreed to meet up in a couple of hours after resupplying to start our hunt at the bandits last known location, along one of the offroads between Geilun and the town over.

6