Chapter 13 – Haybridge Alliance! (Start of 2nd Arc)
82 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Koko pov

eeehh~ They're at it again, we've been on the road for a couple weeks now and at first it was really cute but now... Sighhh~ I'm really glad Ava's got something to smile about but come on, think of the single people! Seyu can't get enough of them and constantly tries to tease which just leads to them blushing at eachother.

ptoo~ 

Every day its the same; walk walk walk, flirt flirt flirt, walk some more, make camp, more flirting! At night I can't even sleep because all I hear is constant giggling! They're trying to 'take it slow' and purposefully try to act apart every now and then, except they spend the rest of the time as if they were tied together with vines. 

Couples are the worst.

I'm not really mad though, like I said I'm glad she's happy. No what I'm really mad about is...

...

Ava pov

"oooohhhhhh I WANT CAKKKEEEEE!" 

Shock ripples throughout the party as Koko, completely unprovoked screams out her desires. Asty totally jumped in her skin though, which was hilariously adorable, heh~

"Come now Koko, we crossed the border into Haybridge some days ago, just several weeks more travel to go till Hayla! Thats over halfway through our travels!" At this point I don't know if moms being serious or completely taking the piss. Koko has been getting more and more irritated lately, perhaps long periods of travel takes its toll on her? We should do something nice for her! I feel like we need to get her cake to apologise to her but I don't know why...

Mom and Koko banter back and forth for a while, suddenly out beyond the tree line we hear a shuddering high pitch scream. Shit someones in trouble. Quickly searching to find the source of the commotion we are met with a dire situation. A squirrel? girl is being hunted and chased down by a group of soldiers! 

"Knights of Aela" Astrid muttered.

"What?! We've got to help her!" I cried out, Aela soldiers being here confirms the girls innocence in this situation.

Asty and I exchange a nod and dart forward to intercept the invaders.

"W-wait you two, dammit!" mom shouted before chasing after us with Koko.

...

"Stop running girl!" Demanded the loath of a man in his overbearing armour, making it difficult to chase through the fields.

"Eeeeeyyyyyaaahhhh! Heellppp! Perverts!" Screams the squirrely girl. 

It was at this moment I launched out of the tree line! Leading with a ferocious drop kick, I smugly collapse the lump of iron into the dirt, alongside me Asty slides low, skating across the ground ending with a precision strike under the knights arm into his chest. A successful entrance if I do say so myself! One boy down, a, hmm, there's a couple more here than I realised. Where were they a second ago? In the tree's? Whoops?

"Ava you dumbass this is why I told you to wait!" A ragged breathed retort to nothing escapes mom's lips as she glides above me encased in a golden shine. A fierce strike aimed at the knights in front of us, an explosion of raw power as her clenched claw collides with one of their faces. What follows can only be described as a shockwave equallying a bear crashing down upon you, all the surrounding soldiers lost the, ground? They flew outwards from the epicenter, terrifying! Mom glances over her shoulder towards me and Asty with a defiant gaze, for a moment I was thinking she's truly invincible, for her to crash onto the ground unconscious. MOM?!

Thankfully the few knights conscious were still in complete shock, gripping Asty's arm to pull her back to earth, we bounded forward to mom's aid. Koko however was in her element, a field surrounded with trees, roots and vines? Perfect for our resident nature queen who quickly places her hands onto the ground. I've never seen her do that before when casting magic? The ground begins to gently shake. Seconds later thick, gravelly roots pierced the ground and smothered the knights.

Thanks to Koko's aid, finishing off the soldiers was a piece of cake. Rushing back to mom who had already begun to stir, placing her hands around my shoulders for a gentle embrace. 

"I'm fine Ava, no need to worry, I just overdid it there. Theres not so many spirits here and I pushed too hard" she slowly explained. 

Her breath was still unsteady and I'm not buying it, that said she wouldn't tell me even if I pushed. So I'm dropping it for now, deciding instead to help her to her feet. Now that our mini drama session was over, an adorably high pitched, shakey voice rang out.

"Tttttttthank you for saving me!" squeaked the squirrelgirl. 

Eeeep! Round twitchy ears, long gorgeous light brown hair with a twinge of summer red, locks shaped into braids that tuck round her head. She's pretty short, this girl really personified a squirrel in every way- Oh god I wanna pet her. I think I looked too long as Asty is giving me a stink eye. 

*Ahem~*

Luckily Koko comes in with the save.

"It's okay you're safe now, if you don't mind explaining, why were they chasing you? Is your village in danger? she questioned the girl, in an almost motherly tone, Koko's really good in these kinds of social situations! She'll make a great wife. Nodding to myself the Squirrel replied,

"N-no! My village is far from here, I came out here to help with medical needs for the army! I was searching for more herbs when these soldiers appeared! Tttthey must've broken off from the battlefield." She explained.

"Ohh okay then, well then, how should we call you miss?" Koko asked expectantly.

"Ahh! Forgive me! I was rude to my saviours! Waahhhhhhhh~" She cried, still not stating her name... Koko pat her head to soothe her, I'm not jealous.

"ah ah ah I'm Lily! Like the flower! ahhh thats kind of embarrassing, who says they're a flower." I'm beginning to think Lily might have some confidence issues. As if a coin flipped over, she completely recomposed herself.

"How might I refer to my mighty saviours?" Practically gleaming with eyes wide open. 

We each told her our names until I suddenly remembered what she said before we saved her.

"Why did you shout perverts? Did they do something to you Lily? Are you okay?" 

"Ah- well, n-no but I mean... Theres no way those disgusting men w-wouldn't try to h-have their way with a mmmmmaiden like me right? Momma said I needed to be careful of them because I'm a beautiful flower that all men will try to pick. T-they'll try to do this and that with me won't they, trying to touch-" Her face may have been flushed crimson but I think my mind broke about halfway through her speech. Is she a closet pervert herself? I quickly place my hand over her mouth before this got any worse. 

At that moment a horn sounded out. In the distance a group of knights are travelling towards us, banners raised, Lily quickly tells us its the Knights of Hayla. The first to approach us was a tall, athletic man riding a golden adorned mount, big shot huh. Besides him rode a shorter, but not exactly small,  lady who carries many weapons. A lance, a bow and a sword? What a juggling act. More impressive than that though- her cute as buttons floppy ears! A doggykin! hehe~ Everything about her screamed business only destroyed by her playful ears.

The prince, rather dramatically, removes his helmet revealing the fluffiest ginger hair! Bright, kind blue eyes stare back at us. He looked as if he was going to speak before his second in command demanded answers.

"Did you kill these knights?! My prince I think we should take them into custody and question them thoroughly."

"What?! Gaia don't be ridiculous, can't you see they've fought to defend themselves?! Any enemy of Aela is a friend of mine!" The prince retorted.

"My prince-" Gaia was cut off.

"Nevermind her, I am Prince Jasper of Hayla, may I inquire your names?" Okay that was kind of intimidating, I've never dealt with royalty before.

"I am Seyu, this is Ava, Astrid, Koko and Lily. Lily was being chased by these soldiers and we tried to help her, that's all my prince." Mom spoke with a tinge of fear, are we in trouble after all? The prince said nothing for a moment as his gaze locked on Koko, hey! Thats not the kind of look you give a subject! I think he noticed my dirty looks because he suddenly recentered himself and continued.

"You needn't worry, you're all safe now. In fact Lily has been working at our camp if I'm not mistaken?" A warm, soft tone flowing out of him.

"Yyyyou recognise me?!" Lily stumbled out. 

"Of course! Everyone equally plays their part right?" Prince Jasper proudly announces, hmm maybe Princess Koko might be okay, gotta keep an eye on him though. No one hurts our Koko.

"Honestly I'm quite surprised how you took down so many soldiers alone, you're quite outnumbered! I would be remiss as Prince of Hayla if I didn't inquire your will to join our cities forces?"

We shook our heads, we weren't afraid of a fight but we were not looking to be shipped off to battle in a war of nobles. As the prince began to talk once more, another horn sounded far in the distance. The prince shot round in a moment of panic.

"Another breach?! Gaia! We charge ahead and intercept! Let no Aelans harm our country!" Jasper commanded, looked kinda cool for a moment to be honest. The troops responded to the battlecry with gusto as they reformed their formation and set off to battle. Gaia took one glance towards us and said.

"The prince thinks highly of you, so follow us if you want, If any of those Aelans manage to get by us, villagers will suffer for sure."

Damn gaia knows how to guilt trip. They charged off and we all looked at each other knowing full well what action we'd take. 

And so we're hunting Aelans..?

5