Chapter 14 – Aela Jaine
67 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took a short time to reach the battlefield, the closer we got, the more a putrid smell of blood and guts permeated the air. My stomach churning at the horror before me. I had seen my fair share of violence, I've killed those I've had to but this, was insanity. The ground was dyed a shade of red, limbs scattered around like fertalizer. The anguish filled screams echoing like a chorus of pain towards us as my legs began to shake. My vision blurs, darkness creeping in, my senses dulling under the sheer pressure of the scene. A hand grips my own,  pulling me to my senses. Astrid standing firm alongside me, eyes trainned on the scene ahead, brings me a sense of comfort, of courage. Holding my head high, I take in the scene before me once more. Men and women all across the desolate field continue to clash, embers from fire bled arrows crackle, this is a real battle. 

...

Badum~

...

This all too familiar feeling washes over me, this time however instead of a wild thrill running rampant, a calm wave settles my mind. My sight sharpens, the vibrance of colour strengthens. As if sound was made of translucent waves my vision narrows into the sensation, Prince Jasper thrusts his sword in a single strike towards the back of a fleeing soldier ending his life. Surrounding him was a green and blue aura, it felt, warm? He was far away but I could still sense the warmth from him, like I could trust this person. Beyond the prince however, a blood red aura with a twinge of white descended onto the battlefield. The need to vomit filled my throat, this person was trouble. 

Gripping Astrid's hand tightly I call out,

"This way! We need to help the prince!" 

"Wha- Ava wait! I'm gonna trip!" Cried out Asty, helpless dragged along by me.

Sigh~ "There she goes again, this is becoming a bad habbit." Mom muttered just in earshot as Koko nodded along. No time to reply to that.

Making our way through the field in the princes direction, the vile aura was fast approaching the prince, hurry. The prince chasing down another running soldier,

"Dammit! The prince is running off ahead again! Whats gotten into him! Gaia spat out in a panic.

However it was too late, Jasper suddenly sent flying from his horse, like a stone skipping on top a lake, tumbles along the ground. Barely conscious he lifts himself in a slump, wobbling vision towards his assailant. 

"Well this is a surprise! Who would've thought a prince would make his way out here, with such little guard too? You should really be more aware of your surroundings Prince Jasper of Hayla." A tall, eloquent figure alluringly said. No matter how seductive her tone tried to be, it couldn't hide the cold and bitter truth. She was a cold beauty, everything about her eminated a frozen cage. Her stare towards the prince wasn't filled with malice. This was just her duty.

In that moment, I thought she might've looked lonely?

The prince's knights were rushing to his rescue but they'd never make it in time. She had the power to back her arrogance of approaching the prince on this battlefield. Her rapier closing on Jasper.

"mmphhaa!" She bit her tongue instantly as she dived backwards from Jasper. 

A fierce glare shot in my direction as I stood firmly in a low stance, in front of Jasper. 

Asty and the rest manage to catch up seconds later, as we stare down the imposing figure before us. 

"Who are you? You don't look like soldiers, adventurers? How much are you being paid? Not enough to die I bet. Run along and I'll spare you cat." Her words were venom but the same cold tinge betrayed her. Standing before her now, I could see clearly, long curly blonde hair and a pair of sorrowful purple eyes. I've heard this description before.

"Aela Jaine."

"Oh, you know me? If you know me, then you should know better than to stand before me." She spoke flatly this time. 

In a flash Jaine skips across the field towards me, I couldn't react?! Just as I thought I was done for, a claw screams ahead of me. Mom lunging towards Jaine in a fierce counter to intercept her attack. A blood-curdling scream fills my ears as mom drops before me. 

"Mom?" I trembled.

Mom isn't moving. Blood pooling around her. 

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Koko and Astrid had already moved before me, restricting Jaines movement. As my head lifts, I see clearly Astrid successfully land a shallow slice onto Jaine before a powerful kick launches her away. I feel my senses drift in and out, useless thoughts clensing from my mind. The next moment I realise I'm directly in front of Jaine as her eyes widen. Throwing my knee forward into her abdomen, I twist my body swinging one arm back in a right angel. One singular palm thrust flies forward like thunder into her chest. Suffering a fate similar to the prince, she skids across the ground. An extremely faint purple glow eminates from my claw before fizziling away. 

By this time, the knights arrived. Gaia and Lily both attending to the prince and mom respectively. Jaine seeing no way forward makes for a hasty retreat, offering only a single glance towards me. Once again there was no hatred in her eyes, but that once lonely sight held an ember. Astrid once again bringing me back down to earth grips my shoulder, guiding me back to mom. Dropping to my knees in front of her Lily confirms me that she's going to be okay and continues her casting, she never did mention she could use magic to heal too.

The prince was far better off, his injury was more on the broken arm and bruises side. Gaia brought him over towards us, 

"Thank you Ava, you and the rest too, you saved me and I'll see to it you're rewarded. Of course, lets get your mother to safety first, our headquarters isn't far from here, she'll be better treated there." Jasper spoke slowly, his wounds causing him to breathe heavy.

Nodding to his suggestion, I can't be mad at him, I was the one who jumped forward. Because of me... mom got hurt. Fuck she could've died. As if sensing my turmoil Asty guided her fingers between mine, a soothing half smile directed at me, letting me know I wasn't alone. Koko equally saddled up alongside me and threw an arm around my neck.

"Lets go Ava, Astrid, we'll get stronger." 

Koko has a sixth sense for everything I guess. Heh~

 

                                                                                                                            ***

Approaching the headquarters, it really looks like a small fortress, sharpened wooden pikes placed all along the outskirts of the walls, tall towers in every direction as lookout posts. Knights everywhere, sporting different sigils, some like the prince's while others resemble a bear in water. We are quickly shown to the treatment tents where both mom and the prince are attended to. 

Waiting outside, my mind wanders to the moment mom was cut down. With a fresh perspective, I remember seeing her golden aura flicker as she passed me. That nagging feeling I had after she collapsed was right, something is going on with her. Theres no way she'd be so easy to take down, even defending me. 

"Thank you again... and- I have to apologise for my treatment towards you before, regardless of my position. You are our prince's saviours and you should be treated as such." Gaia exited the tent with words of gratitude, tinged with regret. 

"Think nothing of it, Gaia, we did what anyone should do. The prince is a good person, we can't exactly let him die now can we?" Koko chirped, which seems to have settled Gaia's feelings somewhat. A small smirk appeared on her lips as she examined Koko up and down. Suddenly removing her helmet, bountiful silver locks flowed down her back and shoulders, a gorgeous, refined woman stood before us. All except the adorable floppy ears that cuddle her face, resist the urge to pet Ava. 

"Hmmm, yes, you do have quiet refined features, quite beautiful to say the least. Theres a chance." She nods to herself in affirmation.

"Ehhhh?" Koko gasps out, completely taken back by her assessment. 

"Heh, think nothing of it, I hope you'll continue to treat our prince well." Gaia said with a bow, koko completely swept up in her pace, bowed back.

During this interaction, Lily exits the tent,

"Ava, everyone, shes sleeping now and she's going to be completely fine. Come back tomorrow morning to visit, let her rest for now." Lily expressed with relief.

*phew*

"Thanks Lily." I sighed.

"Let me show you to your tents, one for you miss Koko and a double for you two correct?" Gaia said with a twinkle of mischief. Trying to embarrass us huh? Well two can play at this game!

"Yes thank you, unless you were planning to join us too? Miss? Gaia." I slyly grinned. 

"What?! N-no I can't do suchh a thing! It's improper, I have my own quarters anyway!" Gaia shining a new shade of red as her ears flopped around. It was fun teasing her but the glare Asty gave me was definitely not worth it.

"Just a joke deaaarrr~" I whispered so only Asty could hear.

"D-dear?!" her head popped. 

Don't be this easy, Asty

sigh~

4