Chapter 21 – Guildmaster of Hayla
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh you're already here Sou?" I call out

"Ah, I... was... just in the area! Yeah! I wasn't waiting for you guys! Stop looking at me like that." Our new oni friend is a proud one. 

"Well anyway, lets go to the frontdesk." Mom commands the group.

Stepping inside the guild hall, this place is massive. Like it towers over the surrounding structures and inside is no different, several floors high as well as a lower level where the tavern like areas reside. Everything here remindes me of the city square with the fountain, pristine with high quality material, the wooden floor glazed with something that makes it shiny. Stepping towards the front desk, a slightly stressed looking human girl sat rustling through papers. Bright green hair cut short above her shoulders, neatly assembled with a blue and green hairband, It looks slightly childish so I can only assume its a momento. 

"Hey! We're from outta town- or out of city and we've come to declare our attendance." Mom takes the lead again, professional... 

"Wah?! Oh sorry! I was a little distracted, new here you said? Please show me your cards and I'll log you into the records." The jumpy girl reclaiming her composure.

Handing over our cards, her eyes ever so slightly widen as her pupils expand in recognition. Her whole demeanour shifts from a stiff, overworked drone to a friendly and welcoming staff member, like one you'd find working as a waitress. She quickly logs the information into a comically oversized book and returns out cards.

"Please ma'ams, if you wouldn't mind, i'd like you to come with me for a moment. Ah- My name is Julia, theres someone who would very much like to meet you." Julia explains with haste. 

"Uh, did we do something of note?" Asty's confusion seeping out of her, yeah right?

"You seem unaware? the guilds network for information is second to none, kingdoms would be jealous in fact." She continued still making little sense to us.

Pulling us along in her brisk pace, we find ourselves inside an incredibly comfy office. Tea being served to us as we sit around an ornate table filled with intricate designs, guess a big shot of the guild uses this room? Before long our questions are answered as a, gorgeous man with fine chiseled features steps in. A slim delicate kind of figure lines his tall body, an effeminate male doesn't just cover it, this man was gorgeous. Long blonde hair flows down him, the golden locks covering half of his back and shoulders. At first appearence his eyes seem coy and filled with appraisal then in a flash he recast into a kindly satisified one. Slow soft movements stride across the floor as he makes his way to the chair opposite us, he exudes grace, not in a royal way however, like what you'd imagine a fairy to be. 

"I apologise for my tardiness, unbefitting a meeting with such honoured members." The man spoke peacefully, is this dude really just a human?

"Ahem~ What is it exactly we're called for? And uh, sorry, who are you?" Koko tried to remain polite, pitifully.

*Guh*

"You don't know me? This is most unexpected, outside my calculations. Julia?! How do I move forward here, is this madness?!" The blabbering of the once godly adjacent human figure sobers the mind.

"You introduce yourself, guildmaster." Julia flatly replied, leaning gently against the wall with a dejected sigh.

"Oh? Oh thats right! Quite! Broaden ones horizons, yes! Excellent! Then allow me the pleasure of introducing you to the grand Guildmaster of Hayla! You can refer to me as Aerin." He announces with a slight bow, ever so slyly sneaking a peak to gauge our reactions.

"You're the guildmaster..." Sou muttered. 

Aerin's eyes dart to Sou, then back to us, then back to Aerin and finally towards Julia in fright. 

"JULIA?! Theres an imposter! I count five! Thats one too many! One too many! Arm yourselves everyone we shall dispense... Justice!" Shrieking out his assumptions, he leaps onto the table, dark wisps eminating from his hands... the hell is that?

"Gui- guildmaster! Guuildmaster! Stop! Stttoooppppp! You'll blow the whole building down!" Julia screams in desperation.

"Right! Sou is our friend! Our friend!" Asty cries out.

"That's exactly what an imposter would say! So it was you after all! You cannot escape my unyielding eyes! Have at you!" 

*Thump*

"Ooouuchhh Julia what was that for?!" The pile of golden locks mutters out in unjust rage.

"Guildmaster is making an ass out of himself again! Clearly they have picked up an extra party member since the last intel came through." Julia reasoning with defeat. I feel for you girl, this guys a wackjob.

"Oh right. That makes sense. Ahem." Launching himself upwards into a gallant pose, still standing on his expensive looking table...

"Hey, how about you explain why exactly you have 'intel' on us?" Suddenly, as if a flash of inspiration came upon me, I remember Johns last remarks, passing on our deeds to other guilds. Is that why? They know this soon? It's been like a month?

"You seem to have come to some understanding, miss Ava is it? While all guilds are connected, in truth each station has connection to their region and thus have different values. You're in Haybridge right now girls, you put an end to a rampant slaver that even nobles couldn't touch." Aerin, taking forward a much warmer tone, continues.

"Thus we here, the Adventurers Guild of Hayla, and thus haybridge are indebted to you. I'm aware you have already been rewarded with monetary value by the Geilun guild however I would like to offer further thanks by-" Aerins speech was immedaitely executed by Koko.

"What was the magic you were preparing! Dark eminating embers origination at the palm of your hands, a thick clump of darkness spreading around you like an aura... It's void magic right?! It is isn't it?! But humans can't use it... So that means."

"Woahwoahwoahwoah- Hold up there, I didn't even confirm its void magic! I-" Koko is relentless.

"Then its not? What is it then?"

*Gulp*

...

...

.................................

"Okay I admit it, its void magic."

"Guildmaster?!" Julia cries out in disbelief at the stupidity of her boss.

"Julia its useless she's a genius, she saw right through me, she already knows I'm an elf!"

"YOU'RE AN ELF?!" We all clamour out in a shrill voice.

"Ah-" Aerin slips out. Julia slams her palm into her face. 

Is this a comedy routine?

 

                                                                                                                             ***

 

"So, with that said, if you could all keep it a secret that I'm an elf I would appreciate it. You'll gain yourself the great friendship of Aerin Arduine of the Silvermoon Islands!"

"Oh! Are you royalty?" Sou asks in excitement.

"Ah- no, but I do have several friends in high places! The headmaster of our academy of magic was my mentor after all! He taught me everything I know." Aerins words left Julia more and more defeated.

"Guildmaster, lets... get on with the meeting." Exasperating words fall out of Julias mouth.

"Right you are Julia! I shall further compensate you to... deepen our friendship, so to speak. I mean don't tell anyone I'm an el-"

"We got it, guildmaster." Mom spoke flatly. This man is exhausting to deal with.

"Ahem. Right, asking you here isn't my only motivation, I must admit. With our deepening friendship I believe you are the only candidates I can request! You see I have a personal mission I'd like you to attend to, it's nothing serious I assure you. When I first travelled to this land, I took refuge in a small village for several years. This village is about a weeks travel from here towards the mountains. Recently they've been suffering losses of livestock... But there is something mysterious about how its happening." Aerin continues.

"Well, best not to spoil all of it! What say you adventurers! Can I rely upon you to lend your aid! I will reward you handsomely of course!"

"Oooooh how much?!" Sou jumps up with glistening eyes of anticipation. 

"We'll accept, a friend in high places isn't so bad to have, right Aerry?" Mom teasingly jests. Aerin double takes, unsure if the words he heard were true or false. 

"Who told you that nickname?! I bet it was my accursed sister, meddling wench! I shall seek my revenge dear sister!" The guildmaster trails off to his window muttering curses.

 

With the matter of the guild put to rest and the insane leader in a world of his own abandon, we made our way out to make preparations for the task ahead. Julia gave us a map with directions and apologised profusely for her boss' actions. In the end Koko never got any information on void magic and get clicking her tongue as we made our way back. Sou excited for her first mission as a group, parted ways with wave promissing to meet us bright and early.

We returned to the castle for a good nights rest, our days shopping loot in haul. Tomorrow's going to be the beginning of a week long journey, so I best make use of the alone time with Asty, bunny for dessert I think!

1