Chapter 2: A Strange Encounter
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don't recall when it first happened, but one night it came to me in a dream. A scene of death and destruction, the loss of a life and the end of all things. Of a wicked serpent, a falling sky, two children of great importance, a war between two powers beyond belief; and the fate of the world hanging in the balance. Yet there I stood, in the middle of it all. My surroundings were a desolate landscape, and yet all around me were the unfamiliar faces of people I felt I knew my whole life. Beaten down, their bodies weakened and yet they were still determined to go on, even in the face of inevitable despair. And there, among them was the matured face of a man I only ever knew as a boy. The one who was most important in my life, I couldn’t bear to see him or anyone else get hurt. And so I stepped forward, for somehow I knew I was the only one who possessed the power to stop the madness. Yet I could never know what came after, for I would soon find myself awake. 

Ever since then, I've had this nightmare come to me in my sleep and every night I would wake up drenched in a cold sweat. It was just a dream, I'd tell myself, nothing more. I thought about telling someone, even Alek, but I wouldn’t want him to worry. If I did, how could we ever be at peace in our lives? Yet every morning, I would wake and see Alek sleeping blissfully beside me. I couldn’t tell him, I wouldn’t want to lose this. I couldn’t.

I worried that I may not be able to protect him from even my greatest fears, if the scene that my nightmares depicted were to become real. And so I promised myself that so long as I walked the earth, he would never be alone. This fear… It only encouraged me to always be there for him, no matter what may happen to me. For I would do anything to protect the happiness we share.

***

“Alek, wake up.”

“Just a little while longer…”

“You have to wake up, there isn’t much time left till sunrise. We have to go foraging in the fields. So come on, wake up already!”

“...no.” I buried myself in the sheets. 

“If that’s how it’s gonna be…” Alena opened the window, the cold air filling the room. The sheets were far too thin to protect me from the unbearable cold.

“Close the window!” I curled up. “It’s cold!”

“No. There’s work to do, you said you’d always help me out. So get up and get ready, meet me downstairs when you’re done. Don’t keep me waiting!” Alena left the door open and headed down the stairs.

“Urgh…!” I sat up, getting out of bed to shut that damn window. It was still dark, just about every morning looked like this. Looking down, I could see Alena walking to her usual corner. “I hate the cold, why does winter have to come so soon.”

Putting on my clothes, I headed down the stairs and stepped outside, it was absolutely freezing. Walking up to Alena’s usual corner I saw a male figure talking to my sister. Was it a customer? No way, it was far too early in the day, there was only one person I know who would greet her this early in the morning.

    “Come now, just one night in the town with me, I swear you’ll have fun!”

“I told you already, I can’t. If I miss even one day, I won’t be able to provide for the next day or the day after that. I’m sorry, but I wish you the best on your trip, truly.”

“Hah… alright, alright. It was worth a shot, perhaps next time I’m in Lindull- Oh hey, morning bud, how’s it going?” Dayrek greeted me.

    “Good Morning, you’re here early.”

“Yeah well… I thought I’d get a headstart, and besides I wanted to ask your sister here if I could borrow you.

    “Huh? That’s not what we discussed-”

“Really? Can I really go with him?”

“No. You’re going to help me pick flowers and herbs.”

“But I help you out every morning, won’t you just let me do some work? I can get paid and help pay for the things we need.”

“You pay him?” She eyed Dayrek.

“Yeah, I mean the kid helps me out and does a good job. It doesn’t hurt to have him-”

“Enough, stop talking.” Dayrek kept his mouth shut. “Alek, you’re far too young to be working a job. You’re coming with me, so no more fussing-”

“But I help you out all the time foraging in the fields! How’s that any different from work? Come on, just this once?”

“That’s-” She paused before letting out a sigh. “...Fine. You can go with him today. But tomorrow, you’re going to wake up early and come with me to help pick flowers and herbs, understand?”

“Got it!” I rushed on ahead, looking to meet up at our usual spot. “Dayrek I bet I can beat you to the fountain!”

    “Woah easy there bud, there’s no rush.”

    “Alek, just wait- I wasn’t finished talking!” 

    “Just leave him be, he can look after himself. He’s not a kid anymore y’know?”

“I know that, what you don’t seem to get is that he’s my little brother. He’s the only family I’ve got, you understand?”

“Hey, I didn’t mean it like that. Sorry, that was stupid of me to say, I’m sorry. Like really sorry. Actually no, like really, really, really-”

    “Are you done?”

“I mean I didn’t get to finish, but uh… if you’ll let me say just one more thing.”

“What is it?”

“I just wanted to say that I’m also sorry about saying sorry-” 

“Just stop.” Alena gave him a stern look. 

“Okay, I’ll stop talking now.” He paused before letting out a chuckle. “Oh c’mon, I was just playing around. Learn to lighten up a little. Look, he ain’t a kid anymore, you can’t keep coddling him forever.”

“I shouldn’t coddle him…” She paused. “Hmph. I suppose you’re right.” She gave a slight smile and seemed mildly amused.

“Woah. Was that- did you just smile?! Hey, that means you’re finally starting to warm up to me, yeah?”

“It’s not that, it’s just that what you said reminded me of what someone told me once…”

“Sounds like we might get along then- Hold on, there’s someone else close to you? There isn’t another guy in the picture is there?”

    “Don’t be ridiculous, I don’t have time for anything but work, let alone a relationship.”

    “Oh, is that right? But you’re talking to me, so that means there’s a chance, right?”

    “You’re something else. And hey, don’t you have somewhere to be?”

“Ah, shit. I forgot all about Alek!”

“Language.”

“Ah, right, sorry! Still, we’ve got a lot of work to do and I wouldn’t want to keep the kid waiting.”

“Dayrek, wait. Just a moment.”

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“Just look after him, okay?”

“Of course, we’re the best of friends, I’m always looking out for the little guy-”

“Please.” She held a serious expression.

“Look, don’t worry. I’ll take good care of him.” Dayrek reassured her.

“Thank you. And about earlier… I’ll think about it next time you’re in town.” Letting off a sly smirk. “Just promise me you’ll stay safe out there, this way you can come back and visit us when you can.”

    “So… I take it you feel the same way?”

“Not quite, I just wouldn’t want Alex to feel lonely. He has a hard time making friends as it is.”

“Ouch, my heart. But what about me, am I to live my life all alone, with no one there by my side?”

“That’s what Alek is there for. Or am I mistaken, are you two not the best of friends?” She teased, raising a brow.

“Hah, didn’t think you could crack a joke. You’re quite the clever lady. Fair enough, but you know… is having a friend good enough for the kid? I think he could certainly use an older brother, someone he looks up to, don’t you think?” He smirked.

Alena shook her head ever so slightly. “Really now, you’re something else… Just look after Alek for me.”

“Alright, alright, I’ll leave it be. But hey, he’s your brother and if you need him I don’t mind letting him off for the day.”

“It’s fine, to be honest I think having him help you out has helped him grow out of his shell. Y’know he’s always stuck close to me, too afraid to talk to strangers. So I appreciate it, the fact that you’re letting him help out.”

“Nah, it’s no problem at all. To be honest, he’s pretty good at it, he might just put me out of a job. He’s a hard worker, I’ll give him that.”

“Still, without him I’ll be working twice as hard foraging out in the fields. I’ll make sure to put him to work tomorrow.”

“You know those flowers you pick, they certainly smell good and people seem to love them, girls most especially. But herbs? Haven't seen an alchemist in years, I mean why use a potion that could take a day to work when magic from the Church can just as easily heal a wound in a matter of minutes. I doubt you’ll find anyone who’ll want to buy herbs, at least in this town.”

“You’d be surprised, I know at least one person. Everything has a use you know.”

“Sure, I guess. But hey, if things don’t work out or you ever need a helping hand, I would love nothing more than to give Alek the big brother he deserves.”

“I’ve heard enough. I have to go now. Just remember, I want Alek back home before sunset, understand?”

“Understood, he’ll be back before you’ve sold your last flower.”

“Good. I’ll see you around.” Alena walked away with a smile.

“Yeah… and don’t worry, he’s safe with me! But I ain’t giving up! Next time I’m in town, It’s a date for sure, look forward to it!” Though all he could see was her backside, she waved her hand back at him. 

***

    The sun started to peek its head above the horizon, it seemed all that time talking to Dayrek had taken up much more time than she thought. Alena began to make her way down the road toward the southern gate, passing a familiar guard on patrol.

“Good morning, Sir Jacek.”

“Well now, if it isn’t Miss Alena. You’re up early, going into the fields?”

“Yes, I thought I’d get an early start since winter is almost here. Once it starts snowing, I won’t be able to do much of anything so I try to pick as much as I can before the first snow.”

“All by yourself? I don’t see the young lad with you, is he alright?”

“Ah, Alek is fine. I let him off the hook today to help out the porter that’s come into town.”

“Dayrek? To think that skirt-chaser is our porter, he’s got nothing on his mind but the ladies. Least he can do is focus on his work. Is he still hanging around you? If he ever becomes a problem just let me know.”

“I appreciate it, but he’s been a great help. Looking after Alek when I’m not around. But don’t worry, should anything happen, you’ll be the first to know. Now then, I must be off. I’ll bring you a corn poppy when I return, take care now.”

“The wife will be pleased. God bless, and take care of yourself out there!”

 Alena went on her way, happy to greet all the people she usually saw on her route. Having made friends with the guards by handing out flowers to give to their wives at home, she was well liked by those around here. However on the way out of town she encountered a rather strange man who wore a veil over his face. The veiled man seemed to be having a conversation with one of the locals and asking several questions.

    “Like I said, I’ve got no idea. You’re better off asking elsewhere-”

“Yes, but you’re from the folwark, you must know something. Come now, be reasonable and just tell me what you know.”

“I told you I have no idea what you’re talking about, I was a farmer just like all the rest. Look at me, those damn monsters took everything from me, my home, my wife… my kids… Fuck! Just when I thought I could forget… Just leave me the fuck alone!”

“There’s no need to fret, for death is only the beginning. Now that they are dead, they may finally find a purpose in serving the Trinity. It’s better this way, don’t you think?”

    “What the fuck did you just say?”

    “Just like I said, they’re better off dead.”

“Don’t speak about my family like that, I’ll kill you!” He pinned the veil man to the ground and began beating on him.

    Alena came rushing in. “Stop, you’re going to kill him!” She attempted to pull him off.

“Get off me!” Pushing her away, he continued to beat on him.There was nothing she could do. Yet there was at least one person in the area that could. 

Alena ran back up the street and called for help. “Sir Jacek!”

“Alena, is something the matter?”

“You have to help, he’s going to kill him!”

“Show me where.” Alena led him to where the fight took place. “Hey! What’re you doing, cease the fighting!” Sir Jacek came rushing over.

“Shit, I wasn’t doing anything.” The man tried to cover up his act.

“Did he hurt you, can you stand?”

“It’s quite alright, I was the one at fault.” The veiled man stood up.

“He attacked you, I’ll have him locked for disturbing the peace and assault.”

“No, this man was just protecting his honor. 

“He provoked me first! I should have killed the bastard…” The man said to himself.

“What was it you just said?”

“Tch, nothing.”

“You’re free to go on behalf of this fair man. But if I see you around here again, I’ll lock you up for disturbing the peace. So go, get out of here.”

“Tch. Yes Sir…” The man walked away.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Alena helped him keep steady.

    “Thank you, but I’m okay… Hm? Well now… this is very interesting.”

    “Is something the matter?”

“You. I sense something from you, something from within, something so very special… Are you from Siekiera by any chance?”

“Siekiera… Yes, that was my home. But after the attack on our town, all the people that survived now live here.”

“I see. Then perhaps you might just be the one I’ve been searching for… Do you think I could have a moment of your time? I believe you would be the perfect match for my master.”

“I-I’m afraid I have somewhere to be. I’m sorry, if you’ll excuse me-” Yet when Alena tried to leave, the strange man gripped her arm. “Sir, your arm. Could you please let me go.” Yet the man kept wouldn’t let go.

“I insist you come with me. Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you… I have something I wish to show you.” He grinned.

“No! Let me go, let me go!” She screamed.

“Let her go.” Sir Jacek intervened, grabbing the man’s arm.

“Ah, I meant no harm. I may have been a little too forward. I apologize, I meant nothing by it.” He smiled. “I’ll be on my way now.” Taking his chance to leave. “I do hope to see you again, little butterfly.” He whispered as he passed her by.

“Are you alright, Alena?”

“Y-Yeah… I think I’ll be okay. I have to go now, thank you again!” Alena ran off toward the gate.

“Oh. Well alright… Just stay safe out there, y’hear me!”

A deep sense of dread came over her, whoever that man was- or whatever he wanted set off an alarm in her head as soon as he touched her. She shook off the feeling and headed off into the fields, hopefully the flowers would be enough to distract her. She only hoped she wouldn’t have to see him again.

0