Chapter 3: Hard at Work
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was freezing, the ground had become cold and hard. Digging out the roots for the more desirable herbs had become difficult. Alena had only her hands to dig out the dirt, a trowel would certainly help but was far too expensive to buy. Whatever she earned from selling flowers wasn’t enough to pay for tools let alone the rent she paid for their cramped apartment.

“Just a little more…” Her fingers had become worn, the dirt and gravel caught under her nails. “Ow! I chipped a nail… but it’s fine, I have what I need.” Ignoring the pain, she carefully lifted the plant out of the ground.

    It was by pure luck that an alchemist came upon Alena’s corner spot, looking for plants to use in her research. She bought a bulk of her flowers, surprised she had rare herbs and flowers of good quality that other flower vendors didn’t. Alena had no idea, she only picked the ones that looked healthy and pretty, after all no one wanted a flower that was wilting. And so the alchemist offered to buy any herbs she could find and she would be paid a good sum of money. Alena earned far more from selling the herbs than any flowers she sold to people on the street. She would be able to take care of Alek and pay for any and all expenses during the winter.

“That was the last one.” It was in good condition. She had worked carefully and tirelessly to ensure she didn’t damage the plants. “It’s already noon, I should head back-” Alena started to cough uncontrollably. “Augh… Ahem. I thought it would pass, but it looks like I might be coming down with a cold. I don’t think it’s too serious, I wouldn’t want him to worry. Now then…”

    Having placed all the flowers and herbs she picked in her basket, Alena walked back only to stop by the nearby river to wash up. Her hands were dirty and the water was cold, rubbing what little dirt was left Alena looked up to see the other side of the river where she once stood not long ago. To think this was the very spot they came to see Lindull for the very first time, how hopeful she was to see their town saved and continue to live their lives on the farm. Yet it was never meant to be, and so she sat there beside the river and continued to reminisce for a little while. It was then her eyes drifted and spotted a flower she had never seen before. A bright blue flower with a white center, its petals a star that shines even during the day.

“I’ve never seen you before. How lovely you look, I think I should take you with me. You don’t mind, do you?” She smiled to herself.

Such a delicate thing, she thought to herself as she held it in her hand. Having grown near the river, she found it easier to harvest the flower seeing as the ground was softer, not cold and hard like it was in the fields. And after all was said and done, it was about time she headed back into the city to pay the alchemist a visit. However on the way back, she found herself sneezing and coughing ever so slightly every step of the way. Perhaps with a little rest, it would surely go away, she reassured herself. Yes, surely.

***

“This is…” There was much more in the pouch than I’d normally get, maybe more than double, no triple… No, probably a month's worth of pay in the pouch.

“A little something extra for you and your sister.”

“Is it really okay for me to have this?”

“Of course. And look, keep it a secret, you know how your sister is, she’s a good person but stubborn as hell. But behind it all she’s a good person, wholly kind-hearted and surprisingly smart… and pretty as a flower too.” He sighed. “Keep her close, yeah?”

“Of course, we look out for each other, that’s what siblings do.”

“Heh, you’re right. You’ll grow up to be a fine lad, I’m sure of it. No doubt that next time we meet, you’ll be a little taller.”

“Huh, what do you mean?”

“I hate to tell you this, but it seems I’ll be leaving town for a while. I’ve got urgent business at the Porter’s Guild, seems they’re gonna be restructuring and want all Porter’s on hand for the assembly. I just got the letter the other day… I’m not even sure if I'll be doing deliveries in this area anymore.” He stroked his stubble before letting his hands rest on his waist, seemingly downtrodden he let out a sigh. “Tch! Why’d we have to get bought out…”

“So… I won’t be seeing you anymore?”

“I’m not sure, but chances are… I’m really sorry about this bud. But hey, next chance I get I’ll do my best to visit you and your sister when I can. Until then, keep your head up, yeah? You got a real knack for this kind of thing. Stick with it, you might be able to find some similar work to do in the city.”

“I guess. I just thought that this could last a little while longer…” I didn’t want him to go, what if I never see him again? I hate this feeling… Wha- I felt my head shaking back and forth.

Dayrek started ruffling my hair. “Hey, keep your chin up. No matter what troubles may come your way, endure it and push through. You’re gonna be alright.”

“...Yeah. I’m glad you came to this town.”

“Heh, me too kid. Well alright then, I’ll be seeing you.”

“Dayrek. I’m gonna do the best I can, so you better come back!” I offered my fist in farewell.

“Heh, you can count on it!” Bumping my fist one last time.

    Dayrek grabbed his bag and looked at me for a moment and smiled. I watched as he walked down the stairs and moved through the crowd around the fountain. I guess it was time for me to head back as well, I wouldn’t want to worry Alena. She should be back from the fields by now, no doubt she’s already set up shop. I wonder if I should stop by the bakery again… No, I have to save up the money for winter. There’s no telling how long this season will be, we have to make it last.

***

    “Hello, I hope you don’t mind if I come in.” 

Alena came into the workshop, a place filled with various instruments she came to recognize with every visit she made. Large pots lined the back walls placed atop sturdy fire pits with foot bellows at the floor to help fan the flames. The shelves that lined the wall were decorated with glass jars and flasks filled with different liquids and herbal ingredients. And there at the counter was the alchemist, using a mortar and pestle to grind ingredients and tending to an  alembic distilling liquids.

“Alena, how good to see you!” Putting down the pestle, the alchemist stopped to give her greeting. 

“Good afternoon, Miss Eula. I’ve brought those herbs you’ve asked for. I hope they are to your liking.” Placing the basket on the counter.

    Miss Eula was an older woman yet maintained a rather youthful appearance. Having managed her workshop almost nearing a century, no one really knew her age, not that she would tell anyone one of the most well-guarded secrets privy to women. Despite being an alchemist by trade, she certainly didn’t dress like one. She wore revealing clothing that exposed her womanly assets and accentuated her rather voluptuous body, a rather curious woman indeed.

“No need to be so formal, as I’ve told you many times before you can just call me Eula.”

“Ah, my apologies.”

“Heh, so pretty and polite. Though I suppose it’s in your nature, I can’t fault you for it. Now then, let’s take a look at what you’ve brought me. As always these are in very good condition, it never ceases to amaze me how delicate you are with these plants.”

“If there was anything I was taught, it was how to tend to the crops on our farm growing up. My mother would help teach me how to carefully handle the fruits and vegetables to prevent them from bruising.”

“Ah, well that would explain it. Your mother, she sounds like she knows a thing or two. She must have been a wonderful woman.”

“Yes, she really was.”

“Let me just see what you’ve brought me… Oh?” Her eyes went wide. “This blue flower, where did you find this?”

“It was by the river, I happened to see it by chance. I thought it looked pretty and thought to bring it back with me.”

“My dear Alena, you’ve no idea what you’ve just found, such an incredibly rare flower.”

“Is it really that rare?”

“Why yes, exceptionally so. Native to the southern Kingdoms, they call it the Sorrow of the Snow. These solemn little winter-blooming bulbs are one of the earliest flowers to bloom. They are often to bloom early for good reason, since they quickly disappear once the first snow begins to fall. As quick as the Sorrow of the Snow is to rise, just as quick as it to wilt and wither away… Hence the ‘sorrow’ in its name.”

    “I had no idea, to think I was lucky enough to find one.”

“Indeed. However I wouldn’t go so far to call yourself lucky. To some the flower is an omen.” Eula held the flower to her face. “I believe there’s a saying, ‘Dare not to be the first to look upon the Sorrow of the Snow, for those who set their eyes upon its starry petals will know tragedy. For whose loved ones shall weep come the first snow of Winter, for the flower wishes for all to share in its sorrow.’, or so it's said. But I digress, I suppose you’ll want your payment now, no? I’ll be right back.”

“Ah yes- I mean a-alright.” Alena watched Eula disappear into the back room and then stared at the blue flower. “The Sorrow of the Snow… to think you were more than just a pretty face.” It wasn’t long before Eula returned.

“Alright, here you are. And here’s a little something extra for having found that blue flower, they’re about 25 each but I'll give you 30 for each if you happen to find any more.”

“T-Thirty!?” Alena was shocked. That was more than what she made in a week.

“Is that too little? Hm, I thought it might be. Then perhaps-”

“N-no! It’s more than enough. Thank you very much, really!”

“It’s the least I can do, making sure you're paid appropriately for the materials you bring me.”

“I suppose that’s true… Ah, I should be heading back now! It was nice seeing you.” Alena bowed courteously, the butterfly pendant dangling from her neck which Eula eyed curiously.

“Alena, how would you like to stay for some tea? I’ve just brewed a fresh pot, and I could use the company. How about it?”

“Um, I really appreciate it. I do! But I’m afraid I have to set up shop for the flowers. I’m sorry!”

“No need to apologize, it’s quite alright. But if you ever find you have the time and wish to sit down and have a chat, I’ll always be here.”

“I should have some free time tomorrow with my little brother helping me out. I would very much like to have tea with you the next time I’m here. Until then-” Alena let out a ragged cough. “Ah excuse me, I have a slight cough. It’s time I go-”

“Now hold on. That’s quite the cough you have, and by the sound of your voice it sounds like your nose and chest are congested. Seems to me like you have a respiratory infection.”

“Thank you, but I’m quite alright. It’ll go away in a day with a little rest.”

“That won’t do. You’ve been outside in the cold exposed to all kinds of pollen and forms of bacteria, there’s no telling how much damage it’s already done to your respiratory system. I should have something to clear that all up, it should be around here somewhere…”

“Really, it’s nothing to worry-”

“Don’t be silly. Some of the worst viruses start out as a cough, so you should take better care of yourself. While I appreciate you foraging in the fields, it isn’t worth risking your health in this cold weather for a couple of plants.”

“You’re right, I should’ve been more careful.”

“You forget you have a brother to take care of, if something were to happen to you how would you be able to take care of him, hm?”

“Ah.” It hadn’t even occurred to her. “You’re right… I was far too focused on providing for Alek that I neglected to take myself into consideration. I appreciate you looking out for me.”

“Don’t mention it, I consider you a good friend. Now then… Ah, here it is! You’re in luck, looks like it was the last one I had. Take this, a winter remedy of mine, it should help with that cough of yours.” Eula handed her a small potion.

    “Thank you…”

“Of course, you’ve been a great help. I’ve been able to make some progress on my research thanks to those herbs you’ve brought me.”

“And Alena, if you find things to be too difficult during the winter. I don’t mind having you two stay with me. There’s a place for you here.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, but we should be okay. Thank you for the offer.”

“Well alright, just make sure to drink that potion before that cough gets any worse. Men wouldn’t want to approach you if they think you’re diseased. Which reminds me, are you still seeing that porter? I can make some skin ointments next time you’re around, as a woman you’ve got to keep up appearances, you’ve got such a pretty face after all.”

“It’s not like that! Dayrek is just a friend, he’s been looking after Alek. Besides, I don’t think we’ll be seeing him anymore…”

“Oh? I knew that boy was no good, and went off to chase another girl I imagine.”

“It’s not like that, he had to leave due to work reasons.”

“Hmm, that’s what they all say. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to have a man around. It’s getting harder and harder to maintain your beauty when you're my age. There just aren’t any good men around… but perhaps that could change with that brother of yours. If you bring him around, I could teach him a thing or two on how to treat a woman.” Eula winked.

“I think I’ve heard enough!” Alena got ready to leave. “Thanks again, I’ll be going now!” Alena left the shop, wishing to forget what she just heard.

“I was just teasing, kinda!” Eula sighed. “Now then, where was I?”

    Taking what was left from the mortar and pestle, Eula headed into the back room of the workshop. There in the center of the room was a table with a curious being covered in sheets resting on top. Removing the linen from the table revealed a monstrous creature strapped to the dissecting table. Its stomach was cut open, a peculiar crystal set in its ribcage. Still somewhat aware of its surroundings, its eyes moved about the room before locking its sights on Eula.

“I know it hurts, but it’ll all be over soon. Now then, time to get to work.” Stimulated by her prodding, the patterns on the creature's skin began to dance ever so slightly.

0