Chapter 5.1: A Cold Day 2
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was freezing, every time I breathed I could feel the fog escape my mouth into the crisp cold air. I rubbed my hands together, hoping I could gain some semblance of warmth. Ever since the quarantine began, the Church had set up booths to distribute rations to the people, there were many guards stationed here as well to make sure the Clergymen were kept safe and that the people of the slums followed the rules. I could hear the men behind me arguing with each other, some men lined up twice and those who caught on to their acts began to get into fights. I waited in line like this every day and it’s only gotten harder and colder to remain outside. Finally I was at the front. It wasn’t long before I was called to collect my ration from one of the many distribution tables. I collected two meal kits that would help to feed us both and just when I was ready to head on home, I came across a familiar face.

“Well now, if it isn’t young Alek.” A gruff old knight greeted me.

    “Sir Jacek!”

“How are you, my boy? It sure is a cold day, eh? Even the mice find it hard to keep warm it seems, I’ve had many reports about rat infestations in the barracks and complaints from city folk of damage to their households with the mice chewing through the floorboards and walls.”

“I’m doing well! But is it true what you said about the rats? I’d hate to find them running about the apartment, I better check around the floors and walls for any holes. Still, I didn’t think the cold affected animals. What made them want to burrow into our homes? Like, do you think they know if it’s going to snow?”

“Don’t know much about that, but when it comes to a change in weather there are signs people look out for. Look up at the sky, can you see what looks like rings around the sun? The Church says it’s a sign from God, that this Winter will be longer, even colder than the last. Monsters and the like will no doubt be seeking shelter and warmth, the city will no doubt attract unwanted attention. But not to worry, we’ll be here to protect the city!”

“Yeah! Oh, but that reminds me. Alena hopes you’re doing well, she would have greeted you herself however she’s been terribly sick.”

“Ah, I’m sorry to hear that my boy. I heard about what happened. Magnate Malo, that noble, nothing but a mockery to his family name. He’s nothing like his father.”

“So he’s the one responsible…” I clenched my fist. The noble who caused us harm, Magnate Malo. 

“Oi. I know what you’re thinking. Don’t be tempted to threaten the life of a noble, you hear me boy?”

“Huh?” I was taken aback.

“I can see the look in your eyes, I know it well. I don’t agree with what he did, but violence will not be tolerated. The Knights of Lindull protect the peace of the people, that includes men of the state, and I aim to do just that.”

“I-I’m sorry! Bringing harm to the nobles is wrong… I understand. Forgive me!” Not that a peasant like me could even get near him. But one of these days… I wish to make him pay.

“Easy now, I ain’t mad at you! I’m just glad you understand. Now then, I wish to know how you two are holding up. You seem well my boy, but what about your sister? How is Alena, is she doing well?”

“Ah, that’s… she’s doing fine. I’ve been taking care of her and handling the chores while she gets some rest. She should recover soon, I hope.”

“Good. You’re the man of the house now, it’s your job to do everything in your power to provide and protect your family.”

“R-right!” I exclaimed, yet the reality dawned on me. “But… I don’t know how I’ll be able to make a living now that we’re quarantined. It’s just not fair! That noble bastard, had he just-!” 

“Careful now. I understand how hard it must be for you, so let me tell you something. Perhaps you might find comfort in what I’m about to tell you. The quarantine will end soon.”

“Huh? I-Is that true?!” 

“Indeed. The Castellan of Lindull, the Lord that governs our city, wished to confirm the truth of the incident. Thus he sent in the Clergy to verify whether an outbreak had occurred. With the lack of evidence to support such a claim, the noble Eren has been accused of exaggerations of the extreme and thus fined for disrupting the peace. Though he faces no consequence, he has lost credibility among the court.”

“T-That’s great! Then there’s still a chance for us to make a living this Winter!”

“Sometimes you must have faith that things will get better. To know that there are those working on behalf of the people, fighting for what’s right.”

“Yeah!” Yet our conversation was soon cut short when a guard came rushing toward Sir Jacek.

Frantic and panting. “Sir! I have urgent news to report!”

“Hm? You’re not one of my men, what brings you here, is something the matter?”

“There’s trouble, the guards assigned to quarantine the slums have all been killed. Reports of a man wearing a veil and using forbidden magic sanctioned by the Church.”

“A Charmer in our midst? Impossible.”

“That’s not all, Sir. The Fragmented have gathered around the Forest of Testament. Captain Albin and his squad were the first to encounter them, one of his men was sent to warn us. They’re still fighting but there’s no telling how long they will last!”

“How troublesome. Go gather the men in the barracks and send word to the other captains. I’ll inform the Castellan and gather the clergymen from the church.”

“Yes, Sir!” The guard paused. “But Sir, what of that Captain Albin and his squad? Will he not need reinforcements?”

“Albin? No need to worry. That man, he’s the finest swordsman in the Kingdom. He’ll be just fine.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “An attack… on the slums…?” I felt a knot form in my stomach. “You don’t think… I have to leave! Our home- My sister could be in danger!” I ran off in hopes that she was alright.

“Wait, Alek-”

“Sir!”

“Argh, what is it now?”

“Fragmented at the city walls, dozens of them! We don’t know where they’re coming from, what are your orders?”

“What’s that? Not just from the forest, but from all sides? To think we’ve been surrounded… Hmph, no matter. I’ll send my men to deal with them, those beasts don’t stand a chance. And should I find the bastard responsible for this, I’ll kill him myself. As for you, go after that boy and make sure he makes it home safely.”

“Yes Sir!” The guard followed after me.

    The words of Sir Jacek stuck in my head, I would make sure to keep her safe. I only hope that nothing happened, that she would still be there resting in bed. Just a little further now, I was almost at the apartment. I ran as fast as I could, I could feel my cold breath escaping through my nose, my cheeks red and my lips pale. Yet I didn’t feel tired, it was just around this corner that- Huh? The door to our apartment was open wide, it couldn’t be… could it? I walked up the stairs to an open door.

“Alena?” There was no response. 

Upon entering the apartment, the room was empty. The door to the apartment I somehow knocked off its hinges and fell flat on the floor. Nobody was here.

“What happened here- Huh?” Something caught my eye. “What’s this…?” I picked up something off the floor. “A flower?” It was blue. “What is this doing here-” No that doesn’t matter. “Alena! Alena, where are you!” Still nothing. I looked all over the apartment, in the closet, the washroom, nothing.

“No… this can’t be. Where are you, sister?” 

She had to have escaped, if she wasn’t here then maybe she fled after hearing about the attacks in the slums. Yes, that had to be it. I would search the whole city if I had to, I had to know she was safe. I can’t lose her. I rushed down the stairs eager to begin my search, she couldn’t have left the slums, right?

“There you are, boy!” What’s a guard doing here…?

“I’m glad you’re okay. But it’s dangerous here, we need to go somewhere safe.”

“I can’t, not while my sister could be out there!”

“Listen to me, you have to stay inside. There are- Ah, move!” The guard pushed me away, as a large hairy creature came charging at us. The guard braced himself but was knocked away, but surprisingly he managed to get back on his feet. “How did a Bauk get inside the city, have the Fragmented breached the wall?” The beast roared and flared its teeth. It was large and walked with both its feet and knuckles on the ground. Its fur black and on its head had what looked like tiny stumps for horns.

“Wha- What is that?” I could feel my legs tremble.

“Hey, kid! Get inside one of the buildings, I’ll handle this!”

“Huh?” Too stunned to even realize what was happening.

“I said get inside!”

“R-right!” I ran toward the building behind but stopped, this felt all too familiar. It was just like back then, hiding in that pile of hay. I can’t, not this time.“I’m sorry! But I can’t! I have to look for my sister! I’m sorry, I really am!” I ran off without saying another word.

“Wha- Wait! Kid, just-” The beast roared and attempted to crush the guard beneath it. But the guard managed to dodge the blow. “Kuh, guess I’ll have to deal with you first.” The guard readied his blade and beckoned the beast. “I can handle you, so come on, fight me!” The beast roared in anger and charged at the guard.

I felt bad for having left him behind, but I needed to find her, I needed to find my sister. Just where was she? “Alena!” I shouted. I ran through unfamiliar streets and called out for my sister, hoping that she was somewhere in the city, that she would call out to me. “Please be okay, Alena.” I muttered. Just wait for me, I’ll find you, so please… be safe!

0