Chapter 3. The Cat’s Grand Ambition
547 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First off, even in my world, there were cats, but they did not talk.

 

I have lived for a thousand years, encountered many people, and fought even more. Pride, Greed, Envy, I've seen many things. How old men and schemers would act weak to gain the upper hand, but this time, it was different.

 

Not only was the one before not a human.

 

It was a cat.

 

…a talking cat. 

 

It acted normal and tried to take my head, and seeing its failure, prostrated itself and called me its Master and Lord.

 

Not once have I seen anyone as sensible and shameless as this cat.

 

"So, who or what exactly are you?" I asked the cat.

 

"I am a cat with no name, myeow Lord. I have seen the error of myeow ways; please allow me to have the most glorious myeoment of this cat's life by allowing me to follow you." The black cat explained.

 

The cat didn't really seem like it was lying; its eyes were clear, and there was no hint of hostility.

 

"... weren't you just trying to kill me just now? What makes you think I should believe you?" I raised another question.

 

"I was awed myeow Lord's absolute strength… and I don't want to die." the cat answered honestly.

 

"You are an honest fellow, aren't you?"

 

"It is a virtue and a curse, myeow Lord."

 

"If you are appealing with your quirkiness, then stop it. You are only digging yourself a deeper grave."

 

"I understand, myeo-myeo-mye-."

 

It bit its tongue multiple times to correct its speech, "Nevermind, screw it. I don't really mind."

 

"I thank you for your graciousness, myeow Lord."

 

This cat is interesting. 

 

'Are creatures in this world all like this?'

 

[Answer: accurate information unavailable, but reason suggests that mana may instigate a change in common animals.]

 

I see, heavenly essence, or in this mana, feels like it can do almost anything. When I tried generating water, I managed to do so with ease. If a place with thick mana was present, it could mutate creatures.

 

"So, what do you expect from me, cat?"

 

"To be spared."

 

"If I say I won't kill you, will you leave me alone?" I curiously asked.

 

The Cat's face turned dark, and it panicked. The cat buried its face on the ground, "I beseech myeow Lord to allow me to be your follower."

 

"Hooh, why are you so adamant about following me?" 

 

The cat weakly lifted its head and looked up to me with teary eyes, "I am weak. The weak must follow the strong to survive. For someone like myeow, whose future is unknown, I seek to be a follower and gain a name from the mightiest Master I can find.."

 

"In other words, you want to use me to grow stronger?" realizing the cat's intention, my instincts took over and released a vast amount of bloodlust. 

 

The woods were taken over, and I could hear the sounds of trampling as many beasts ran away from afar. The cat's tail straightened, I could hear its heartbeat rising, but it chose to stay on its ground.

 

It looked me straight in the eyes against fear and answered, "I wish to grow stronger! I will not hide my intentions, but that is not all. Myeow Lord, becoming your servant means I will be able to achieve my goals!"

 

This cat was greedy.

 

To be completely honest, I didn't expect it to be this greedy. But, it was also brave and resilient.

 

Its eyes wavered, but it fought the desire to collapse. The cat was weak, buts its heart and will were strong enough to fend off my assault.

 

"What is that goal?"

 

When I asked, the cat suddenly straightened its back.

 

"T-to become a Demon King!!" The cat proudly announced, "I am a cat who gained sentience by chance, but I will fulfill this dream and stand in front of myeow friend and show her what I have achieved!" 

 

Demon King? Does that mean it aims to be something like the Heavenly Demon ruling the Divine Demon Cult? Amusing! Truly Amusing!

 

"Gahahaha! How wonderful! Truly wonderful! A dream to stand against the world" I laughed in amusement hearing its words.

 

This cat had more determination than most who claimed they would rise to the peak of the Martial World. It had more exciting desires than any man or woman I met in the past!

 

"A cat leading demons to battle!? That, I want to see. Cat, you have a tiny body, but your greed is over the heavens. Your ambitions are big, and your determination is clearly reflected in your eyes! That is how any living being should be! Filled with desire and drive!"

 

The cat's face turned flushed and stood up straight, proudly sticking out its chest, "Thank you, myeow Lord."

 

"Now, tell me, what is your name, and I will accept you as my follower!" I announced.

 

But, the cat suddenly showed me a confused look, "I apologize, myeow Lord, but I am without a name. I wish to receive a name from you for me to be branded in your Spirit."

 

"..."

 

I drew a blank.

 

'Do I not just accept you as a disciple?' This was a first.

 

What are this Naming and Branding it speak of? Is it similar to an art? How weird these otherworldly rules are.

 

"Naming? Branding? Ghost, what information can you give me?" I asked the only person who could give me a direct answer. I could ask the cat, but this was the perfect time to confirm Ghost's limitations.

 

"Um, my Lord, are you talking to me?" the cat asked in confusion.

 

"Huh? No, I'm talking to something. If I remember correctly, it's called the Voice of the World in your culture."

 

"Ho-how excellent… as expected of myeow Lord. "The cat's eyes only glowed brighter.

 

Its eyes were glowing with awe.

 

"It seems like you're quite an outstanding existence even here, huh, Ghost."

 

[Response: Thank you, Master, now, to answer your questions—

 

Naming: A monster that gains a name would be granted more power and higher intelligence—Depending on the strength of the Namer, the blessing received by the monster varies—only the strong or to the [Voice of the World] can give names. Getting named by a strong creature grants a large quantity of life essence. When the namer is strong enough and provides enough life essence, it breaks through the ceiling and triggers an evolution. (Humans and many Demi-humans are incapable of initiating an evolution through naming. Evolution through naming is exclusive to monsters.)

 

'That's a lot of information to take in suddenly. I'll encounter their applications shortly, so I'll let it pass for now. Anyway, you seem to know about Evolution and Monsters.'

 

[Answer: it is a natural phenomenon etched in this World's History and Worldly Law — I also have information about Humans, Demi-humans, Monsters (Devas)— do you wish to know more?]

 

'I will leave it at that.' Finally the explanation ended. The wall of text was a lot to take in, but I got the gist of it, "Cat."

 

"Yes, Myeow Lord?"

 

"If I give you a name, what can you give me?"

 

"My undying loyalty, myeow Lord."

 

"That's nice… seriously, what can you provide me?"

 

"...Nothing else..."

 

"Good. But be warned, I'm human, so it is impossible to trigger an evolution. From what I know, it would give you a boost, but it is different when Deva or such creatures give you a name. Will that be all right with you?"

 

"I am aware, myeow Lord!"

"…it would be my honor, myeow Lord... but like I said before, I can't offer you anything at the moment."

 

"Don't worry about that. But you control Life and Death, right? Do you think you can teach me that?"

 

"Of course, myeow Lord."

 

"Okay, then let us get to naming you. a done deal. You are a cat with black fur, and you can control the dead… I'll name you Nekron." 

 

Thus my first follower was named.

 

I never had any followers before. I never accepted anyone, and those who dared use my name were slain without mistake.

 

But after hundreds of years of kicking everyone away, I finally found someone who could stay under my wing, a cat who desires to be the King of Demons!

 

The cat I named - Nekron.

 

It's a perfect name if I do say so myself.

 

It's a good name if I do say so myself.

What is this evolution it refers to? Is it the same as the bodily mutation when a Demonic Practitioner undergoes Qi Deviation? And does possessing a name have any difference?

 

[Life Essence Overflowing - Evolution Prompted]

 

Nekron's face changed multiple times. When I heard Ghost's words, it too reacted. I think Nekron listened to the same thing.

 

I saw Nekron's confusion and delight surfacing, and then, golden threads of light seeped out of his skin and began wrapping around him. 

 

Nekron looked at the golden lights and played with them. It then looked at me with widened eyes, "Master! So you were a Deva after all? I thank you, myeow Lord. I am thankful for allowing me to test my worth."

 

I could see tears fall from its eyes.

 

I saw him bow before disappearing into the golden light, wrapped by the threads into the form of an Egg.

 

[Vassal Nekron's Evolution Process shall finish in (5:23:59:59)]

 

I lifted the Egg that was the size of a human's head.

 

[Evolutionary Cocoon: made of Golden Mana Threads weaved together, the magical creature inside is experiencing change through mana. It cannot be destroyed easily. (Nekron)

 

Tossing it around and observing its pattern, I finally registered a simple truth, "...I was a Deva?"

 

[Report: You are also not human. You are categorized as a Pseudo-Human and Otherworlder; you are considered a Deva.]

 

"...Is that so?"

Turns out I was no longer a human.

Thanks for reading - Do you like the chapter? Click the Heart - Have any thoughts? Leave a comment [I answer any question :)]

22