Chapter 9 Caretakers
312 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'How long was I out for?' I had a massive headache when I woke up. It felt as though I drank a lake's worth of wine.

[Answer: Six hours, it is now past noon.]

It had been so long since I slept that it felt weird. Leaving your consciousness to darkness, not knowing if you would open your eyes again, was something I found scarier with age.

If I ever die, it must happen in combat.

'So, six hours, huh… I feel hungry again.' with a sigh, I looked at the Wurm, 'Good enough.'

[Art: Spirit Sword Body]

Keeping the skin and scales on the side, I began fileting the Snake. First, cut its body in half, and pull out its spine and bones. When done right, you'd be left with glistening pinkish meat.

'But still, the beast has been out in the sun for some time, but it didn't smell the least bit rotten.' I noticed this with the Turtle, but it appears it goes the same for the rest.

Scriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

A screech echoed and made my ears ring in pain. A dust storm filled the surrounding, almost blowing the cocoons away. I tied them to the earth with chains and raised my head to see what I didn't think I would see.

Above, three white Serpents with giant wings spanned five meters on each side. It screeched as it landed before me, yet I still couldn't believe my eyes, 'It's a Dragon.'

The figure of power, majesty, and regality was what a dragon represented. Many techniques were derived from these sacred beasts, mimicking legends and incorporating their movements into martial techniques.

How beautiful! To think I would witness a Dragon in this world. How wonderf-

[Correction: That is not a Dragon. That is a Lindwyrm.

Amphithere: The Evolution of the Wurm/Wyrm. Growing Wings and two front limbs, the serpents that traveled underground could now take flight and rule the skies. This is one of the two evolutionary variants a Wurm could have.]

'…oh… so this wasn't a Dragon?'

[Answer: yes, they have dragon blood, but they are not considered True Dragons.]

It glared as it saw me handling the Wurm's meat.

"Are you the one who did thi-" it asked.

"If you want to live, lower yourself." I wasn't really feeling all that well, and the source of interest I found was false.

"You dare speak to me in this manner!? Hey! Look at me when I'm talking to you!" the winged soft stick continued yapping, but I couldn't care.

Since I was young, I have wanted to see a Dragon. I did not stop searching for a Dragon in North, South, East, and West, even after growing old. I've encountered a lot of sacred beasts since then. The Black Turtle, a Tiger with no form, the Deer that prances on storm clouds, I found all sorts of exciting creatures but never found a Dragon.

I talked to them, asking where the Dragons had gone. The Turtle said it left to a higher plane. The Tiger claimed it, and the Phoenix and the Dragon killed each other and dispersed into nature. The Deer claimed they never existed in the first place.

For me, I sought the Dragon out. I even started searching for the Phoenix in hopes of getting information, yet, even after thousands of years, I failed to find them. Now, I found a creature closest to being a Dragon, and again, I was met with disappointment.

"You dare ignore me!? I do not care if you are a Deva or a Demon; I will not be treated as an insignificant being!" it whipped its tail and sent out thorns my way.

"Shut up," I responded. I had enough today.

[Skill: Heavenly Tribulation Serpent]

A lightning serpent came out from behind me with but a thought and shot out towards the Amphithere. The air was scorched, and though it tried, the beast could not even move out of the way. The lightning turned its white scales burnt and dark, its wings riddled with holes as steam came out its mouth.

The two Amphitheres shouted and flew down to catch their leader. Seeing the injuries strewn across its body, it turned to me, the eyes glaring red and their tails pointed at me.

Lightning crackled again; it was me, telling them that I could conjure another lightning serpent to turn them into dust. They were afraid, obviously. They just witnessed the bigger winged disappointment fall with one attack.

"Please, forgive my children's insolence… ugh… Great Lord Deva… please… we are not here to fight."

"Hooh? You're getting up so quickly? Seeing how you're so resilient, I will allow you to speak."

"Thank you." the Amphithere mother said, lowering her head.

From its uneven gaze, how its words were uttered softer than before, it understood its level.

Maybe, before, it saw me as an equal or below; that's why it yelled, but now, it didn't dare raise its voice. It was an intelligent beast.

"Forgive me for how I have acted. But, the Wurm you have killed… he was my son until I kicked him out of the brood earlier than I should've for being too cruel. We do not have any more connections, but he was still my child. I just wanted to know how he met his end."

"So, you were his mother?" I pointed at the Wurm.

"Yes."

'So, she was its mother.' I finally understood, "He was terrorizing the Orcs. For weeks he had killed their families and played around with them, treating them like toys. He also wasted the Lesser Earth Turtle Dragon I caught. As for how he died, I crushed his brains."

"I see. He had met his end when he crossed someone he shouldn't have." the mother Amphithere was understanding of her son's mistake, "Thank you for shining a light on the matter. We initially thought the Army of Undead had gotten him and turned him into a soldier."

"Wait, what? An Army of Undead?" I haven't heard of that.

"Is the Great Lord Deva not aware? Parts of the North have been turned into a land inhabitable by the living. A Necromancer has uncovered and taken hold of an old forgotten Demon Lord's castle and uses it as his operation base. We were driven out of our home, and many beasts have been dying and turned into undead. The Necromancer wishes to take over the entire Forest and turn it into a Necropolis."

[Necromancer: people who have the power to raise the dead.]

I am not well-versed in undead. I don't even know what a Necropolis was, but I am pretty sure that those things are not good.

I fought them earlier, and I think they were of the lower caste. If this Army is made of a higher power, then that would be troublesome, 'This world is a mystery, but, following a basic understanding of greed, this so-called Necromancer has the vision to conquer even these parts. I have no plans yet, but I don't like the idea of my turf getting invaded….'

I have just been going through things without thinking. My attachment to this place was fragile, and even if I had followers, I accepted them half-heartedly, 'But I am already in this world. If this Necromancer raises an army of undead, it would sooner or later make trouble for me. Hmmm, if it's still amassing power.'

I looked at the mother Amphithere's injured wing, "Are you and your children running away from the undead?"

"We wish to relocate, yes. It might be difficult, but staying here would be too risky," she answered.

"You said this Necromancer had a castle, right?"

"Yes."

"Who's stronger? Me or the Necromancer?"

"I have not met the Necromancer, but lightning is one of the weaknesses of death-magic. I also cannot quantify your strength. I can tell that I am only breathing because of your mercy."

That is good enough for me, "You said that you were running away from the undead, but I injured your wings. So, that is impossible. How about I make you a proposition? While I am away, protect these cocoons until I get back?"

"Why? Where is the Great Lord Deva going?"

"Nowhere, just for a walk. It won't take long." I want a new house.

 

 

 

Thoughts on what happened after he took a nap?

Thanks for reading - Do you like the chapter? Click the Heart - Have any thoughts? Leave a comment [I answer any question :)]

14