Email 11: Anne to Laura
197 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From: Anne Greenview <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, Mar 17, 20-- at 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: Honeymoon!!!
To: Laura Vance <[email protected]>

I'm so happy for you both! I had a feeling something like this would happen, though I lie when I say "like this" because I didn't expect it to involve literal birds and bees! (And butterflies. Why am I not surprised they are the gentlest?) You make me jealous, and if I thought it would have any effect I would repay you by telling you how wonderful Paul the phlebotomist or Harry the respiratory therapist or Mark the rheumatologist are in bed, or in a supply closet or a deserted stairwell... but you and Robert are so wrapped up in each other that I am only making you laugh, at best. I don't quite understand what that's like, though I remember the way Dave and I used to be, but I'm sure it's good for you as well as delightful fun. Do you still have that letter I wrote you near the end of Dave's and my honeymoon? If you find it please send me a copy; I think perhaps it will remind me what I used to feel and that will help me enter into the spirit of your last email, which I have printed out and carry around with me and read when I am feeling tired and overworked. I want so much to share it with my family but I won't unless you say it's okay, because I know privacy matters to you, and though I can't always guess what you will consider a violation of privacy I will try now to err on the side of caution.

The court ruled in favor of the Greenview family against the TriStar corporation, so we have full control of the hospital now, though we have to pay TriStar a certain tribute whenever we show a profit for a given quarter. But we are now non-profit and they can't force us to make a profit if we're happy just being together and helping people together. TriStar is appealing the ruling, saying that the judge in the district court is of the same subspecies as us and was biased in our favor, but our lawyer, who seems very competent though he is a marsupial, thinks we will win on appeal too.

Tracy sends her love as well. I hope to see you again, when you and Robert have fruit of your loins to show off (see, I can make Bible-English jokes just as well as you)! Do you think they will look like peaches, or pecans, or what? And when you plant them, will they grow into trees whose branches bear human babies? What a wonderful world we live in now!

7