The Cube That Hung On The Ceiling
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Silence. Deathly silence. 


A creepy silence roamed in the atmosphere while darkness shrouded this place. Such hair raising silence would make any living being tremble with fear, go crazy and commit suicide to escape the agonizing stillness. There was absolutely no sound whatsoever. No chirping from the birds, no buzzing from the insects, no howling in the distance, no roars from the animals, no wind whistling through. Just pure silence. 


Suddenly! 


*drop*


A drop of water falling from somewhere created an ear piercing echo in the silent atmosphere. 


And following that, an even louder scream pierced through. It sounded like the cry of an infant. It destroyed the breath-choking silence that reigned this place. 


The scream went on and on, a huge contrast to the silence that existed just some moments ago. But, that cry didn't alarm anyone or anything which indicated that this place didn't have any living beings otherwise they would surely react to such a disturbing noise. 


The cry rang for quite a while until eventually it stopped. It wasn't known if it was because of exhaustion or because it couldn't get any response from the outside. And so once again that eerie silent environment covered this place. 


Time passed by. An unknown amount of moments had passed and suddenly a ray of golden red light shot into this place, illuminating the insides. The darkness had receded however the silence did not. 


This place seemed to be a cave. The inside of the cave was filled with dense stalactites and rocks. As more lights came through, more things could be seen and if anyone witnessed the thing that could be seen now, they would be shocked still. There was a baby lying at the ground. Unexpectedly in the uneven cave filled with rocks and unknown metal ores,there was a clear patch of even smooth ground. An infant , probably a month old, was sleeping there on its back, facing the ceiling.


And soon the dawn light fell upon the baby, it's appearance could be seen. Little black hair sprouted at its head, eyebrows only partially seen, cheeks plumped and face ruddy indicating a healthy countenance, naked with nothing on its body. All in all, this baby looked as healthy as possible even healthier than many rich household's infants could be. But this added more to the mystery. How was this baby able to be so healthy despite being in this cave? Did someone put it here some hours ago? Or does someone feed and take care of the baby? The answer? 


*drop*


In the silence another piercing sound rang out. This sound resembled the sound of water falling from a high place on the ground. And a water droplet it was. Somehow a drop of water fell on the baby, to be more precise, right onto its mouth. 


*wahh wahh*


As if woken up by the drop of water, the baby started to cry out loud, its screams reverberating through the entire area. Coincidentally, the baby had already let that drop in its mouth. 


The baby kept crying letting out a heart wrenching cry as if it was imploring to whoever was nearby to help it. But its screams only fell on deaf and dead walls. And soon the baby got tired and stopped until eventually it fell into slumber again. 


Morning. The entire place was brightly lit. The inside of the cave was now fully visible to the naked eye. The cave did not give the impression of dirt and dust. In fact for some odd reason it looked unbelievably clean. The ground, the walls, the protruding rocks and ores all created a harmonic and pure view of this cave. It was as if the cave didn't hold any sort of impurity at all, which by no means should have been possible. 


*drop*


*wah wah*


A drop of water had fallen into the mouth of the baby again and thus had woken it up. Waking up, it kept crying and crying. 


The place was brightly lit now. The baby was lying on a patch of even ground. Centering the baby a radius of 5 meter was devoid of any other things. It seemed this place was artificially made. Though from miles to miles, there wasn't any humans or any other living beings that would do this for the baby. 


The baby was lying on the ground on his back and wildly crying facing the ceiling. No, not the ceiling but a tip. Directly above the baby or rather the baby's mouth was the tip of an object. This object was massive. With the illumination of daylight the object could be seen clearly. 


It was a cube. A gigantic one, it's length more than a hundred meter. One tip of the cube was attached to the ceiling and the opposite tip of the cube faced straight at the child or more accurately at its mouth. 


It was a pure black cube. It seemed to be the rumored hundred percent black color. The color that could absorb hundred percent of the incoming light. Somehow In the earthen cave ceiling this darker than black cube kept being hung by only one of its single vertex. It should have been impossible, no way can just a single vertex can hold the weight of the entire cube which seemed to weigh more than thousands of tons. But just like that mysterious child who appeared out of nowhere, this cube somehow was attached to the ceiling by only its tip. 


The diagonally opposite vertex which faced the baby had some small amount of liquid gathered. It could be assumed that the water droplets that fell on the baby were actually dropped from this cube. 


It was a desolate yet sad place. The only thing that rang occasionally in this place was the sound of falling drops and followed by the baby's sad and heart tearing cries. 


Afternoon came, the baby was tired and was sleeping peacefully. It's profile was filled with vitality. It's breathing rhythmic. There was no sign of bad health as if it was being fed with good nutrition and was taken great care of. But what exactly was it being fed aside from that liquid that fell from the cube. So it can be safely assumed that the liquid from the cube was special, special enough to provide some hours of nutrition with just a drop. 


Above the baby, some liquids could be seen being congealed. The liquid slowly came together concentrating on the tip. The liquid looked rather fresh, a deep contrast to the pitch black cube. 


As time passed by more and more liquid gathered together until they were heavy enough and then fell as a drop. Fell upon the mouth of the baby. 


The disturbance from the drop woke the baby up and as the baby opened its mouth to cry, the liquid went in and the baby unknown to all this, started crying. Even if this liquid was wondrous enough to keep the baby as healthy as possible it still was just a drop, not enough to satisfy a baby's hunger neither was it enough to fill the void of what should be filled with love and care from a mother. 


All it did was cry and cry. Because that was all it could do. It didn't know the concept of throwing his hand in the air to throw a tantrum so that a mother could come up in helplessness and fulfill its unreasonable demands with a loving smile. And so it didn't flay its hand wildly in the air. It just kept moving its mouth to issue a cry because this was the only thing it knew to do. 


And so just like this, night came. The baby was sleeping again after being tired from crying. Above the baby liquid started gathering at the tip of the cube and after gathering enough, fell on the baby. The baby woke up and started crying. 


A cycle. A miserable cycle. The baby was bound in this pitiful cycle of repeatedly drinking a drop of water, crying afterwards, getting tired from the continuous cries and sleeping. Then continuing the cycle. 


That was all there was to this place. 

A cycle of never ending desolate cries. 

..... 


..... 

0