8.3
9 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I swallowed and crouched. Father's body was lowered too. His golden eyes were glaring at me, while he snarled and stomped his front legs. I had never seen him this pissed off before.

He lunged towards me, aiming for my neck. I managed to dodge. With a quick twist and another pounce, his muzzle found its way to my side instead. As his teeth sunk into my flesh, I let out a cry.

I wriggled myself free before the cut got too deep, but before I could balance myself again, his jaw struck at a different spot. A bite at my leg, another at my head, and another, and another. No matter how much I kicked and struggled, he attacked me over and over again, without hesitation, without mercy.

My head spun. The growing pain was like a veil covering my senses; I could barely taste the blood in my mouth, or smell the disgusting mix of fluids. I could barely hear the vague rumbles from the crowds, the gasps, the cries... Auri's cries.

Auri.

I was not as strong as my father, nor as fast. I was never much of a fighter. I did not even like to fight. But I had to fight. And I had to win.

Auri, and the entire wererabbit territory, were at stake, and that thought was driving me more than the pain radiating from my body.

When my father jumped toward me again, time seemed to slow down. Maybe my adrenaline was finally kicking in, or maybe I was dying, but I could see his every movement, the entire trajectory of his path, the way his head tilted towards my neck.

I ducked and snapped my jaws around his hind leg. Fur and blood overwhelmed my taste buds as I wrenched his leg with all the force I could muster and swung him away. He slid across the ground, painting a crimson skid mark along the way.

I must have taken him by surprise as he did not recover instantly. I took the chance and ran towards him, headbutting him in the stomach and pushing him to a tree.

Despite my entire body screaming out in protest, I slammed my father against the bark over and over, ignoring his cries, ignoring my own cries.

I hated this. I hated this so much.

Which was why I needed to end this right now.

When my father's furious yells turned into soft grunts, I halted my barrage. I watched him stagger on the ground before lunging forward again. My teeth sunk into the back of his neck while I pinned the rest of his body down. He was too weak—and too shocked—to fight back.

A red river flowed down from our grey fur and onto the green grass. I was losing even more blood than he was, my head was spinning, my vision was faint, and I wanted to throw up. But I held onto this position as firm as I could until a whimper escaped from my father's throat.

"S... Stop..."

Slowly, I let go of him and stepped away. Father fell limp onto the ground, panting and moaning. This version of him, bloody, weak, crying in pain, was not a sight I was used to.

Even the strongest of them all could have a downfall like this.

All the anger I had been feeling vanished; sadness and guilt rushed through me. Was this how Victor looked the night he fell?

I closed my eyes. My body was aching and shivering, and I was sure I was about to pass out. But I forced myself to turn around and face the pack.

There was a long moment of silence. And then, every single wolf bowed their heads.

This was it. I had become the Alpha.

"Help him," were the first words I said as an Alpha.

Max and a few betas sprinted towards my father. Within a few seconds, they got him on Max's back and they made their way back to the territory.

"Bodie!" Celine was the first to reach me. Her paw was quivering like her voice as she held my head. "Oh my god. Please, you need to get back to the territory too. Your injuries are..."

"I'll be alright."

Right after I uttered those words, I collapsed onto the ground.

"Bodie!" Auri's high-pitched voice pierced through every other sound.

Oh good, she was safe.

My heavy eyes were a mere slit, but I could see her beautiful face appear in front of me. She held me up, scanning me with tears in her eyes. Her hands felt so soft and warm, and the insignia—my mark on her—seemed to shimmer under the morning sun.

I wanted to curl up and cuddle in her arms. I wanted to lay like this and sleep next to her, forever.

"Bodie, no, no, stay with me," Auri whispered.

"Hang on, okay?" Celine said. "We're bringing you back."

"You'll be okay, you'll be okay..." Auri buried her head into my neck, letting her tears drip all over my blood-drenched fur.

I could not help but smile. Of course I would be okay. My body was exhausted and drained, but my tail was wagging like the liveliest puppy in the world.

Then, Auri raised her head and kissed my forehead.

"Don't kiss me," I mumbled. "I'm sweaty."

"Silly pup," she chided gently. "I'll kiss you no matter what."

I wanted to laugh, but instead, the world turned black.

2