9.1 | A Soft Spot For You.
14 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My eyes fluttered open to bright, piercing light. After a few more blinks, a head appeared, partially blocking the source of light. It was the head of a smiling, lovely Auri.

I immediately sat up.

"Au..." I started, but my throat hurt, and my body ached so much that I had to slump back down on the bed.

"Hey, hey, relax," Auri soothed. She gently held me up and fluffed up my pillow. "Here you go, now you can sit up. I'm so glad you're finally awake, Bodie."

My eyes scanned the room around me before glancing down at my clothed human body. I must have somehow transformed back without realizing it, and someone must have somehow put these clothes on me. I tried not to wonder who did that, but with Auri staring intensely at me, I could not help but blush at the thought that maybe she did.

Clearing my throat, I asked, "How... How long was I out?"

"A day. You were so badly injured."

"Ah, that's right." The throbs along my body were a stark reminder of that.

Auri's brows were furrowed with worry. "Here, drink something," she said as she brought a cup of water to my mouth.

I gulped down the liquid, never more glad to be hydrated in my life. As my head cleared further, I looked around me a little more. I was in a hospital room, and given how spacious everything was and how Auri's feet were dangling from the chair, I figured I was in werewolf territory as well. The blinds to the windows were closed and the door was shut.

Auri noticed where I was looking. "You have a bunch of people waiting to talk to you outside. Would you want me to let them know you're awake and call them in?"

"A bunch of people is waiting to talk to me?"

And then realization hit me and I let out a groan. That was right, I had become the Alpha right before I lost consciousness. I was now in charge of the entire pack, the entire territory. The lamp above me was piercing more than usual as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Later," I croaked. "I'll talk to them later. I'd like some peace and quiet first... With- With you."

A smile tugged at Auri's lips. "As you wish. How are you feeling right now?"

"I'm alright, I guess."

"That's what you said before you collapsed yesterday."

"Oh, yeah, I didn't want to worry you then, but I mean it more now..." As I tried to recall what happened, memories from the fight hit me like a brick, followed by guilt and regret. "How's... How's everything in the wererabbit... in your territory?"

Auri's expression darkened. "A dozen people died at his hands."

The image of my father's bloody jaw flashed in my mind, and I clenched my fists. "I'm sorry," I said. "What can I do to help?"

She lowered her head in response.

"You can tell me, Auri. I can help you. Let me help you."

Auri's eyes flicked at me as if to say, "You've already helped me so much." But she let out a sigh and pressed on, her voice strained and quivering. "The council wants your... your father to be put to trial."

I did not know what to feel. I hated my father for what he did, and I wanted him to pay. But at the same time, he was still my father.

"Sure," I said solemnly. "He killed your people. It's the right thing to do. But I'd... I'd like to help him hire a lawyer, at least."

"Of course," Auri mumbled, but she did not look too happy about it. Her head remained lowered as she rubbed her hand. And that was when I noticed the mark.

Oh no, the mark.

"Oh my god, Auri, I almost forgot about that." I tried to sit up again. "I'm sorry about what I did. I- I didn't mean to, I swear, I don't know what happened—"

Auri placed her hand on mine, cutting me off. The insignia seemed to stand out even more compared to yesterday.

"Don't worry too much about it, Bodie, really. I'm sorry I reacted badly. I... wasn't sure what it meant and I freaked out on you. Celine explained everything to me. She... said that the way you mark a mate differs from werewolf to werewolf, and- and it depends on how much weight you put on these things..." She glanced at me. "Let me guess, was that... your first kiss?"

I scratched my head, feeling the heat in my cheeks. "Yeah. Was it- Was it obvious?"

Auri chuckled. "I don't mean that. I just meant... Well, it must have been so special to you. That's why this happened." She lifted her marked hand and shrugged.

"It... was special." I paused, letting out a long, shaky breath.

Yesterday had been a lot to process, and I did not have a chance to sort through all my thoughts yet. But seeing the tattoo on Auri's hand and the wistful smile on her face, I decided to just confess.

2