1 – He’s already dead?
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter One

 

     “To the right, to the right!” Ren yelled. His teammate was dogwater at this game, though, and the zombies took him out. It was up to Ren. He jumped up onto a ledge and used his ability, wiping out a line of zombies straight in front of him. That cut a path for him to weasel into. He had dodged a bullet. 

     Ren was able to respawn his teammate, but it came at a hefty price. They continued the game, taking out hordes of zombies. 

     As he was about to call out a swarm of zombies to his teammate’s right, the TV went black. Ren threw off his header and glared angrily at his little sister who was holding the plug to it. 

     “Mom said you have to come down for dinner.” she said. 

     “Already?”

     “It’s been an hour since she called you up.” 

     Ren thought back, and realized that his sister was right. They both headed upstairs, where everybody else had finished. Ren’s soup sat there, cold. Ren took a seat and started gobbling down his food. He hated having to eat while he played, but once he started, he couldn’t have enough. 

     Once Ren was satisfied, he put his bowl in the sink, and ran downstairs. He played for another hour, and then he had to get off. He said goodbye to his friend, and turned off the system. 

     Grumpily, he headed upstairs. He wasn’t very enthusiastic about stopping to sleep, but it was the ground rule of the house. No electronics past 8 P.M. was set after Ren stayed up till 3 A.M. to annihilate zombies. 

     As he prepared for sleep, he thought about his gaming tournament tomorrow. The prize pool was a thousand dollars. If he could bring in the top prize of 500 dollars to his mom and dad, maybe they would see that gaming wasn’t a joke. 

     He laid down, deep in thought. He couldn’t fall asleep though. It was always like this when it was the night before something exciting happened. 

     Ren started daydreaming about things. His gaming tourney tomorrow was going to be hyped up. He imagined the groans of the other players when he and his teammate won the prize. He thought about the zombies in the game, being obliterated by his overpowered abilities. 

     His thoughts were interrupted by a loud bang from downstairs that sounded like a gunshot. It was followed by his mom’s scream. His eyes widened in fear. Was there an intruder in the house?

     “Please, no! Don’t do this!” he heard his dad yelling. His pleading voice was silenced by a gunshot. Ren was really afraid now. Were his parents… dead? He had to go downstairs and check. He had to wait, though. The intruder could still be in the house. He edged closer to his bedroom door. Suddenly, he heard footsteps coming upstairs. He panicked, and forgot to be quiet. His door was opened, and the intruder stepped in. He was short, about 5’8”. 

     “Please! Don’t hurt me!” Ren yelled. Before he could duck, the intruder shot his handgun, and the bullet pierced Ren’ heart. Ren fell to the floor, bleeding badly. The last person he thought of before he passed… was his sister. 

     Wait. His body. It was gone. But his soul was enriched. Brand new. His soul wasn’t damaged at all. It was transported across the universe, to an obsolete place. He couldn’t exactly place it. In front of him appeared a layout. 

 

Welcome to your Death Choice Sentence Examination. Would you like a tutorial?

 

     

     Ren was confused. Wasn’t he just shot dead? He shouldn’t be alive. Then, he looked down and realized that he probably wasn’t. He didn’t have a body. 

     He figured that this was some kind of video game, so he played along. He didn’t know how to say yes to this system, so he willed it. It worked, and the system switched to a new display. 

 

Your Examination is something you do after your death in the starting world, Earth, as humans call it. You are brought to this place, and given a choice. 

 

     Ren was finding this interesting. He wanted to know the choices, so he willed it. 

These are the choices you can now select. Be careful… you will be bound to these choices for eternity. 

 

Spectator Mode

Spectator Mode allows you to spectate the rest of the world. You can fast forward and slow time as you want, anytime you want. 

Become a God

This is pretty straightforward. You can change some events on Earth, and cause some others. 

Be Reincarnated in Another World

With this option, you can be born into another world. In this world, you can live your fantasy and follow your destiny. 

Rest in Peace

This option is pretty simple. If you don’t want to do any of this, you can simply decide to let your soul rest for the duration of eternity. 

 

     Ren loved manga and anime, and a fantasy world sounded like it was up his alley. He willed the system once more. It described a few more choices he had. 

Ranzekugan

An awesome world, this is where you should go if you love nature and exploring. You can have many adventures here!

Crun

A war filled planet. Join this place if you have a thirst for blood and battle. 

Oberon

A beautiful planet-nation, this place has everything. The technology is quite advanced, and magic is learnable. 

 

     Ren knew exactly which planet he was going to pick. He willed Oberon, and the system changed. 

Create your character. (Your character will not be able to be changed later.) 

 

     The menu was blank. Ren didn’t know what to do. Suddenly, he realized that he was probably supposed to imagine the character. 

     He imagined himself, but a bit older, maybe 16. He changed his eyes to blue, made himself a lot taller, and gave himself robes to wear. 

     Suddenly, he could see himself forming from the legs up. First, his feet. The swirling effect then whooshed upwards, covering his legs, swirling around his ankle, up past his chest, and to his head. He could feel his fingers, his toes. He was… alive. The world around him started to whirl around, ripping into a flurry of colors, but his gaze was fixed on what was at the end of the tunnel. 

     Ren flew out of the other side and onto cold, hard mud. He yelped, and got up, wiping the mud off of his face. But what he saw stopped him. In front of him… was Oberon. 

1