Chapter 68: Becoming a platoon for true
139 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We need a game plan," Dorian spoke as all eight of them were doing the walking in place exercise in front of the faucet back in the park. The poster looked faded, the words slightly smudged, but they had the habit of doing this here, and, now that they were in the city, they came back to the faucet.

"I think we first must consider what guild master Alklair wants of us," Lilia chimed in. She was also walking in place. The Budding Lilies did not want to just watch as the Try Hard Party did their ritual. They were a platoon now. And platoons were a single, cooperative, unit.

"What do you mean?" Leander asked. Not even winded. He was going to weight himself once they went back to the farm. To see if he had made progress.

"I mean, it is obvious that he wants the guild to follow his example," Lilia began, then she looked at the poster. "But there must be something more. We have to decode his vision. Or we will have to find a new guild."

"Do you know how hard it is to move to a different city once you get labelled a guild drop-out?" Florifel snapped, then, once she saw Lilia look down, her eyes softened. "Not that we won't be able to do it. Starting over as a platoon is easier than as a party. Or as single adventurers."

"That's it!" Jean exclaimed. "We have been thinking as individual parties. Some have been thinking as individual members. We have to start thinking as a guild."

"Do clarify," Dorian had no idea how they were going to get the rest of the guild on board with what he thought Jean was suggesting.

"I mean; we start training as a unit. The entire guild. We learn how to fight back-to-back with people who we usually don't collaborate with. And, in the process, we pave the way for more platoons forming. So, no single party, or just a two-party platoon, will ever be sent to something like the Scarletting Basilica," Jean was pretty sure that this was what the guild master wanted of them.

"That won't be enough, but it is a good start," Armaros spoke, and all eyes turned to him. "Back in the...woods, I saw packs of wolves. They each could hold their own. But, they could also do duel, triple, ambushes at times. Maybe we can go ahead and work with the entire guild. Although the guild won't be there on a quest."

Sure, it was hamsters Armaros had observed. And slimes, to a lesser extent. Not wolves. However, his observations had been sound.

"You want us to do the impossible and create new combinations?" Alberta's eyes were wide. Only the best of the best created new combinations. The S ranked adventurers and up. The rest studied their efforts.

"Why should it be impossible? I have created plenty of spells. Was that impossible?" The Budding Lilies shared a look. They all knew of Armaros's genius. But could they make use of it?

"If you tailor us combinations, we will learn them until we can't stand anymore," Morris promised. Leander sighed.

"This is another point that will get us kicked out. The guild master doesn't want us to put in more effort than we must. Have you ever heard of the 20/80 principle?" The healer asked, and Florifel nodded.

"It states that 80% of the outcomes come from 20% of the causes. In other words, we don't need to be try hards, we just need to put in meaningful effort," Florifel informed those who didn't know.

"And if we put 20% of the effort in multiple things, every day, for three months..." Dorian's eyes were shining. This could work. He extended his hand in the middle of their circle.

"Come now, ladies. You are a part of the platoon. You have to do the ritual," it didn't escape Jean's notice that the girls looked at the hand with raised eyebrows.

"Oh, why not?" Florifel placed her hand on top of Dorian's.

"That's the spirit," Morris commented, as he placed his hand over hers. The hands piled up and then, they raised them as one.

"This is kind of nice. Sort of relaxing," Lilia mused. It was good of the Try Hard Party to have rituals that served the purpose of strengthening the bonds in the party. Or platoon — now.

"Immature, but nice," Alberta added her two copper coins and the pixies, who had been on the hair of each of the Budding Lilies, holding on to their buns, flew in the air and did what the humans did. In a cuter fashion.

"Armaros, you have to start as soon as possible," Dorian did not want to pressure the dungeon core, but time was running out.

"I already have a plan. We start with individual training first, and then we move on to group training. Morris, how would you like to learn to pour mana into your feet to enchant your speed?" Armaros grinned at Morris, who blinked.

"Won't I hurt my legs that way?" The ginger looked ready for a second. Mana augmentation, when done wrong, could end up with the adventurer being bedridden.

"Leander can teach you how to regulate your mana properly without hurting yourself. That is the basis of healing, after all," Leander blinked at that. He knew how to isolate the mana from his blood vessels, but had never thought that this could be used for mana augmentation.

"That is just a healing technique, Armaros," Leander said.

 Armaros sighed and poured mana into his legs. He used the healing technique of putting on two layers of mana with space between them, where more mana flowed as if the body was not moving. Then, he jumped five meters in the air and landed like a cat, on all fours.

"I need to learn how to do that," Morris was gaping, already looking forward to learning the technique.

"We all do," Dorian agreed.

Leander stared at Armaros. Mana augmentation could make up for his slow reflexes and lack of speed. But they needed supervision. There was only one healer they could go to: Tom.

8