Chapter 74: The percentage was how big?
122 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Loud yelling was heard from the S ranked parties. They had not liked the idea that they have been robbed and lied to. Antonia raised her hand, and Leander pointed at her.

"When are we getting paid back," she spoke slowly, her voice promising pain.

"The guild can't afford to give you back your money," Leander spoke in a grave tone. He had looked through the budged. If he wanted to give free supplies to the impoverished adventurers, he had to count every copper. "But every guild is like that. You are free to live, but to where?"

Antonia grew silent. She knew that some guilds were open of their exploitation of the S ranked adventurers. And, following that logic, others would play dump, like the Huergaz's adventurer's guild.

"What is the percentage going forward?" Nestor yelled; fist balled. Sure, he was not S ranked now, but he was slowly getting there. Will he be robbed blind? If so, he might as well get a farm and plow a field!

"One percent rise, just like it is with A and below. However, you will not be given barrier stones, going forward. Or provided with horses. The guild needs to fit in a smaller budged," Leander heard grumbling at that. "But you will be given those things on credit, if you so wish. To be paid in small portions."

"What is the difference between what Alklair did and what you do?" Florifel's eyes were blazing. How did the elf act so high and mighty, robbing them all the while? Well, not her. But if he had stayed on, it would have been her.

"Well, I won't charge you interest, for one. Before, the pay was flat. Meaning that, it covered all your "free" supplies and there was something left for the guild. Now, the percentage for the guild will be flat, and what you need as supplies will be covered only in its real price," Leander spoke the rehearsed words. He had had the same questions, earlier. And he had bombarded Baleg and Valerie with them.

The thing about adventurers was, that, they were money grabbers. They risked their lives and wanted to strike it rich. Rich adventurers retired and lived a life of luxury. And they didn't return to the field because they invested their money and lived off the dividends. Full belies did not plow fields, indeed.

"You better not sneak in the old percentage on us, guild master Lemon Cake. We know where you live," Alektos growled and Leander chuckled.

"Yes, well, I have no intention to rob someone, or myself, once I get to S rank," Leander also had no intention to be stuck in Alklair's former office all day. "From now on, Baleg will do the quest contacting, budgeting and supply distribution. And we will need to find someone for the front desk."

Baleg was retired already. Sure, it almost looked like Leander was handing him the guild master spot, but Leander had given him the fancy title of chief advisor, instead.

It would be a crime against the guild if he made Valerie retire. No one could handle a pandemic like she could. Which had made her one of the guild's top earners.

"Who is getting front desk duty?" Aros asked. He shifted uncomfortably. Will it be on a rotational principle?

"That would be me," a man who looked like a scholar and even had glasses to boot stepped forward. They had all wondered what he was doing behind their guild master.

Alberta immediately recognized him. This was that client with the cat that had given her his book. She had not given it to Alklair, had forgotten about it, in fact. Maybe she could hand it straight to Leander?

Asmodeos looked at the gathered adventurers. They were as unruly as the ones during his time. With a touch of disrespect for their guild master born of the fact that he was ranked lower than most of them.

But it was good to return to the guild that had given him so much. Not that anyone, even Valerie, would know who he was. He smiled brightly and waved at the crowd. A couple waved back.

"I will also be giving lessons on mana sensing, so, please turn in for them between quests," Asmodeos offered and a couple of people nodded.

"Soed is an author. He writes novels and the like. But also some textbooks he would gladly share with us. Also, the free textbooks that former guild master Alklair distributed will remain free, and I will do my best to add to them," Leander hit his chest with his fist, and the entire guild did the same. "Dismissed."

Asmodeos grinned at the young blonde. They were following him because he was one of them. That was something Alklair had not thought about. He had buried himself in paperwork and had not bothered to take quests. Even when he had gotten a promising healer to fill in a slot in his party. Followed by the half-orc.

The necromancer hoped that the healer would take it easy. Adventurer's guilds ran themselves, once the guild master learned how to delegate.

Asmodeos felt watched, and he turned to look in the direction of the stare. Leander was looking at him with a puzzled look.

"I didn't want to ask you that in front of the others, but why did you take in the former guild master in your home?" Ah, the million gold coins question. Asmodeos had waited for that one.

Alklair had lost everything. As per an honor duel's rules. His house included. Leander had let him pick his things from there, and even keep his bottomless bag, but he had taken all the elf's assets.

So, Asmodeos had found Alklair going from house to house, offering to sell some of his keepsakes. The necromancer had approached him, and, once Alklair had not recognized him, pretended to be a fan of the elf. A reserved one, but a fan all the same.

When Asmodeos had invited his former lover to his home, Alklair had looked relieved. The rainy season was coming in a couple of days, and he had no other alternatives. 

Leander had left Alklair a way out, by letting him keep his belongings. But had destroyed his good name. Asmodeos felt for him still. It was only fair that the necromancer took care of the one who saved his life numerous times.

"Alklair is a great man. And he chose you as his successor," Asmodeos replied, honestly. Leander nodded, and the necromancer was glad that the boy's pride was not rearing its head. "But he had at least nine thousand years left in him. He is not dead, and I will not treat him in such a manner. People will come to admire him again. And, who knows, he might return to his old post with a fresh perspective. After you retire."

Leander nodded. He had not ruled out the possibility. Especially since Alklair had stubbornly stayed in Huergaz. Leander bowed low before the necromancer.

"Thank you for taking care of him. He cared a lot for us," Asmodeos smiled. With such a guild master, the guild could go a long way. Perhaps even become number one.

If you like this story, please consider leaving hearts. Also, it would be nice of you to spread the word to all your friends. The more readers, the merrier. 

8