Chapter 79: When the memory is lost, what is left behind?
111 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were no mobs, but the mana suppressors were present all the way to the carved tunnels below the keep. Morris was gripping his axe with one hand, and feeling his way down by touching the walls with the other.

Dorian was gripping the berserker's arm. It was better if they were not separated. They, alongside the three archers, were the only ones that could actually deal damage.

Well, Alberta too. Her mace was something no one underestimated.  And Alklair was a master of the short sword, but he would need to get close to use it. And, as Leander had proven when he had won, the elf's body was simply not sturdy enough for close range combat.

Finally, the faint ray of a candle broke through the darkness, and all eyes were locked on it. Dorian let go of Morris and took his spot at the head again.

They found the Ice Priest in bed, looking around dreamily.

"Kraedor?" Alklair called. That finally got the priest's attention.

"Oh, Alklair. How nice of you to visit," Kraedor, more commonly known as the Ice Priest, spoke. He got out of bed and stretched. "You know; funny things are happening in my keep. My food disappears, my clothes pile up, and I could swear I haven't worn them. Do you think it is a poltergeist?"

"Kraedor, do you mind if I give you a check-up?" Valerie stepped forward. The man blinked.

"Uhm, what are you all doing in here? Ah, Alklair, hello," Valerie sighed. She went and began to gently pour mana into the Ice Priest's head. "You know, my food is disappearing and my clothes are piling up. I think it is a poltergeist, Alklair."

"His brain is damaged," Valerie informed them gravely. Then, she checked the priest's body. "He had a fever recently. A bad one."

"Are you saying that he can't retain memories?" Alklair asked, and he looked at Kraedor.

"Ah, Alklair!" Valerie sighed.

"I do believe that, yes. There are a couple of viruses that are mild, but, once they damage the brain, they could cause either death or...this," Valerie hugged the Ice Priest, who had told her the last message her mother had wanted to say to her, and the priest hugged her back.

“Who are you, lady? Are you sad? Don't be. Your food is not disappearing, is it? Because mine is,” the younger members of platoon 23 shifted in their boots. They did a group huddle, which was joined by Alklair and Valerie.

"What is he going to do before the court? He can't remember anything. They will eat him alive," Morris asked. He felt guilty for even thinking that the man should go in a courtroom. He needed a hospice. Or a retirement home.

"The guild can protect him. Leander, do you still have at least one lawyer on call, or did you cut ties with all of them?" Alklair turned to Leander, who sighed.

"Just one. A former adventurer who agreed to be paid half what the others wanted. Claire," Alklair nodded. Claire was a harpy and a half. She ate defendants and prosecutors alike for breakfast.

"Consider getting some lawyers back into the guild's employee. Once we get the funds for them," Jean suggested, and Leander nodded.

"We have to take him out of here," Lilia was uneasy with the fact that the old man was all alone in the dark keep. "What if he wanders up and gets killed by the traps?"

"And his food won't last him forever. I don't think he has left the keep in a while," Alberta sent the man a look, who had gotten back in bed and snuggled into the covers.

"I can take care of him," Valerie suggested. Her boyfriend wouldn't mind. Arthur might even help her. "So, we offer him protection and then face the music in his steed?"

"We have no other choice, at least, if we want to be able to sleep at night," Dorian said, and he placed his hand in the middle. Alklair blinked and then grinned. Ah, to be young.

After they did their ritual, they went back to Kraedor. Valerie went and gently pulled back the covers.

"Hello, who are you?" Kraedor then looked to the side and saw Alklair. "Oh, Alklair!"

"There is a poltergeist in your keep," Alklair did not want to lie, but he had to take Kraedor out here. "And it is too strong for me to defeat. This platoon is here to get you out safely."

"A poltergeist? Why, we must be off. Do you know they have a lot of hate in them? The things they say..." Kraedor stood and headed to the bathroom. Valerie followed him.

As much as it broke her heart, she had to lie to him that there was a poltergeist in the keep every so often. Kraedor did not remember anything. But, he knew his way around the keep. Which was weird, seeing as it was finished just a month ago.

Valerie stomped on her inner researcher. She was not going to study Kraedor. That was immoral. And she was going to do her best, so his condition did not land him in a lab.

Kraedor came out of the bathroom fully dressed, after the fifth time he had tried to leave it in pajamas. Valerie took him under the arm and repeated her lie.

"A poltergeist? They have foul mouths, they do. We must be off," Valerie smiled at the man, hoping he didn't see how misty her eyes were.

The old Kraedor might be in a coma. A strange coma where he could be awake and talk, but not build new memories. And, Valerie felt like he will never wake again.

That didn't mean that she was not going to give him a good life. A full life where he won't remember anything, but could still go on walks, under supervision, have wonderful meals and watch plays at the theater.

Platoon 23 made it out of the range of the mana suppressors, each taking turns to inform Kraedor that there was a poltergeist in the keep. When they got to the base of the staircase, Leander put on another barrier, and they made their way out.

8