Chapter 19: A Call for Help
119 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What do you mean he’s on our side? He’s a Dark Elf!” The guard, who’s name was Gimli, waved his hooves in the air with anger. “What would the citizens think, hm? That creature walking through the city will cause mass panic. Ponies will riot and become violent, it’ll be a shit show!”

“It doesn’t matter. I plan on making a public announcement about Dean's existence to everypony in Maritime Bay. And let's not forget that if it wasn’t for him, my sister, your Princess, would never have made it to the Resistance alive! I get you are afraid of the Elves, I am too, but Sergeant Dean is here to help.” Shining Armour was about to walk past the guard when something caught his eye. The Prince groaned as he watched a certain fushia coloured mare trot up the dirt path towards him. Twilight followed his gaze and tilted her head to the side.

“What an odd cutie mark, I wonder what it means?” She took a few steps forward to address the approaching mare when two more ponies arrived. Twilight's eyes nearly bugged out of her eyes and her jaw fell open. The two new ponies sported the same cutie mark as the Unicorn! “Wha..? But how…?” The trio stopped before the Prince, Princess, and lone guard. The unicorn’s eyes seemed to pass over Twilight and land on the Prince, causing the Princess to frown.

“Good evening Captain Armor!” She smiled a cheery smile, as did her associates. Twilight cringed when their mouths split impossibly wide, showing nothing but their teeth and cheery eyes. Shining huffed in annoyance and grimaced.

“Good evening, Counselor Starlight. I see you’ve finished your errands a bit early.” Shining deadpanned as he looked at the angle of the sun. It was four thirty and he wasn’t expecting the meeting until five. He heard the guard salute the Fuschia coloured unicorn before turning and backing away., leaving the two groups to talk.

“Indeed I have, and I couldn’t help but see you are skipping on your duties again. Though I guess that’s alright if you are showing the Princess around.” She turned towards Twilight. “My name is Counselor Starlight Glimmer. I am a member of the equalist faction here in Maritime Bay and am in charge of the smaller imposed laws set by your brother here.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow critically before nodding and unfurling her wings slightly. “I am Princess Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship.” She looked towards her brother. “What's this about counsel?”

Shining was about to answer when he quickly interrupted. “The council is a group of ponies who dictate certain areas of our infrastructure. There is the agriculture counselor, the civics counselor, the armed forces counselor, and the research counselor. The last pony is the mayor, who governs the day-to -day life in the city.” He gave her an irritated glare but the Unicorn decided to ignore it. “I am the civics counselor, hence the laws. Your brother is the head chairpony and makes decisions in the grand scheme of things.” Starlight gave the Princess a cheery smile before turning back to the Prince.

“Now, about our meeting. The election for Mayor of the city is coming up soon and I was looking for your support on the matter. And before you say no outright, I have a few plans that you might be interested in seeing.” Starlight trotted up to Shining’s side and leaned in. “In private of course.”

Twilight strained her ears to hear what the unicorn said but ultimately failed. She instead scowled and glared in her direction.

“Anyway, I look forward to hearing your response soon! Oh and if you see–”

“CAPTAIN! COUNSELOR!” A gray Pegasus pony smashed into the dirt just in front of the three leaders, sending a plume of dust into the air. Twilight rushed over to the ponies side, but was forced back when the Pegasus jumped to his feet and looked around wildly. “Prince Shining! I bring urgent news from the console!”

“What is the matter, soldier?” Shining Armor’s face grew into a professional stone mask. The soldier saluted and began talking.

“The console is requesting both of your attendance within the next twenty minutes. They have received a message over the Magi-comm about a town called Ravenford. I must deliver this message to our winged department as soon as possible; General Blight wants them ready.

Shining looked at Twilight and sighed.

“Very well, myself and Starlight will head over there now, you are dismissed.” The three watched the guard take off and quickly ascend into the clouds before facing each other once more.

“I guess I’ll come with, I’m sure Sergeant Dean will be fine once Midnight finds him.” Twilight gestured with a wing towards the city. “Let’s get going!” Shining heard a bit of… something in Twilight's voice and the smile she put on seemed fake. He shrugged it off as his sister over-thinking things like usual and began to canter to his destination. Starlight and Twilight remained on either side of him as the open training grounds morph back into the fort’s stone structure, guards and civilians alike passing them by in a blur.

“So, what's this Ravenford place? I’ve never heard of it.” Twilight looked at her brother uncertainty as she dodged a cart full of lettuce, the owner jumped out of the way to avoid being trampled.

“Well, Ravenford is a town just south of us by about two hundred kilometers. It used to be a traders town, but the Elves repurposed it into an intelligence headquarters. It’s where some of their gunships are docked. Just recently they had the local pony population construct some sort of huge structure, but we aren’t sure what it’s for.” A wooden structure approached and the group started to slow down. Twilight got a sense of nostalgia just by looking at it’s round structure filled with intricate design and decoration.

It looks like the Ponyville town hall.’

Two guards stood outside the entryway, their spears forming an ‘X’ across the entry. Upon coming up to it, the guards swiftly uncrossed their spears, not even batting an eye or blinking. Twilight smiled at the guards as she passed, but upon not receiving anything in return, she hung her head. Shining noticed her downed mood and gave her a smile instead.

“Don’t worry about it Twilight, those guys act professional all the time. There’s a lot of tension in the city these days due to rumors of the Elves getting closer to Maritime Bay.” The trio passed under the arch and entered a very familiar sort of auditorium. Ponies were scattered about the seats in a very disorganized order while a select few sat upon the stage, facing the entry. Talking and the occasional shout permeated the air, but the majority of the occupants remained quiet. Starlight quickly trotted up to the front and claimed an empty seat, causing everypony to go silent and turn their heads. Twilight quickly felt her face heat up as everypony's gaze seemed to land on her within a few seconds of them entering. She chuckled nervously and followed her brother to an empty seat near the front of the room.

“Now, seeing as everypony is present, we can now begin.” An older mare spoke up from the group on the stage whom Twilight didn’t recognize. Her mane was a frizzy white and her Cutie mark was a letter stamp crossed with an ink pot.

A stallion with a silly mustache wearing chainmail armor cleared his throat. “Certainly, Margret. Now, we received a distress signal over the Magi-comm doohickey we stole from the Dark Elves. We have had spies in Ravenford that have confirmed for us that… that the whole Equestrian population of the town is being rounded up and to be executed. There have been mass killings before but this time the civilians have a possible escape route.” The one who Twilight assumed was General Blight looked around the assorted faces. “I would be willing to send a team to infiltrate the town and cause havoc, leaving a window for the civilians to escape North-East into the forest. I propose we hit the flying craft that are docked there in order to minimize the chance of pursuit.” Starlight tapped her hoof loudly at the table.

“I think it is too much of a risk! We don’t have the pony power to spare, nor do we have proper weaponry to cause such a large diversion. If you haven’t noticed, we are using mostly Elven technology in order to wage war. Even then, it doesn’t work unless the ones operating are strictly unicorns!” A burly stallion off to Starlights left snorted.

“Let’s not forget the spies mentioned a certain General was going to be there. The Bloody Baron is a ruthless and cunning foe, even if we were to launch a surprise attack, he would most likely come up with a way to kill even more of our warriors. Even if we get the civilians out, we will lose valuable fighters!”

The whole table broke out into argument and Twilight could do nothing but watch. It saddened her to think that her race was being slaughtered without a chance. They were being treated like animals! She had read history books about ancient civilizations waging war and conquering each other, and sometimes the losing side would be enslaved for a time. But it never went to the lengths of extermination. The Elves were slowly but surely thinning the world's population, she had heard enough stories from guards she had snuck up on. Everyday the Dark Elves conquered more land, and soon the whole world would be under their control; It was almost like the Elves were trying to create a world solely for themselves, even if it wasn’t possible.

“I say we hold a vote. Those in favor of rescuing the citizens of Ravenford, raise your hooves.” Twilight blanched upon realizing she had missed the entire conversation. It made her queasy to think that she had missed most of an event that could determine the outcome of hundreds of lives. She was a Princess for Faust’s sake!

“W-Wait!” All heads turned to her and silence reigned through the room. Her brother was giving her an alarmed look but otherwise remained quiet.

“What can we do for you Princess, we have a vote to draw so if you could wait patiently–” The mare, Margret, was cut off when Twilight stood up.

“Should I not get a say in this, I am the only remaining Princess after all!” She was beginning to sweat as everypony’s full focus was on her and her alone. Her eyes darted back and forth among the faces of the console.

After a second of pause, General Blight sighed loudly.

“Princess Sparkle, it is truly wonderful that you were returned to us safely, but at the moment, you are, and I’ll be honest here, not entirely qualified for leadership yet. Not to mention–”

“Not qualified? What the hay do you mean? I am a Princess of Equestria!” Twilight cut the General off and her uncomfortableness became akin to righteous anger. Her eyes narrowed as she glared at the Stallion. The next person to speak was the stallion on Starlights left.

“We understand Mrs. Sparkle, but we have just recently decided that the Resistance will be run democratically.” As those words were spoken, Twilight's breath caught in her throat. She looked at her brother for confirmation and was devastated when he nodded sadly.

“Bu-but…”

“We understand that Equestria has always had the Princesses as it’s rulers. We ourselves were utterly content with their leadership before the Elves came.” The General spoke softly and in a reassuring tone. It did nothing for Twilight's mood.

“Equestria has fallen, Princess.” Margaret was talking now, but Twilight was hardly listening. “We are running on borrowed time and need to make educated decisions that benefit us all, it was actually Starlight who came up with the idea. So far, it has worked in our favor, and we have kept the darkness at bay.”

There was silence. Twilight's mind was at a standstill for the first time in her life. Equestria, her home, was lost. What she saw around her was pretty much all that remained. The counselors regarded her for a few seconds more, but upon a nod from Shining, they continued on with their meeting. The Mayor grabbed a small wooden hammer in her front hooves.

“All in favor of the rescue.” Two hooves shot up: The Generals, and the Mayors. Tears began to form in Twilight's eyes.

“All who are against?”

Three hooves shot up, A hammer hit on hardwood, and the fates of an entire population center was sealed. All with the strike of a wooden hammer.

*****

Dean sat in his new room, playing with the walky-talky. Midnight Flow had come back after about ten minutes, stating he couldn't find either members of royalty. In the end, the black Pegasus had helped Dean move all his belongings into the new room. It was very small, and was relatively close to the main barracks, but it was a safe place for him to store his things. Upon moving everything, Dean had nothing else to do until Shining and Twilight arrived, so he had cleaned his guns, but when that was done, he played with his now useless walkie talkie.

'bzz, click... bzz, click'

Dean's mind began to wander. How would he convince the Prince that he needed his stuff from the cave? He could go himself, but it was unlikely that the guards would let him back in. And what about food? The ponies and Elves were herbivores in this world, so he would have to go hunt for himself. He chuckled at the look Twilight would give him after dragging a dead Deer into the barracks to gut and clean.

'Bzz, click... bzz, click... bzz, CRACKLE!'

Dean stopped moving and stared at his walkie talkie in fascination. If the device was making that kind of sound, then that must mean there was a signal! Maybe more humans? No, as far as he knew, Dean was the only one Discord brought over. Maybe he should try reaching out.

Dean pressed the button on the walkie talkie and brought it to his mouth.

"This is Sergeant Dean Forester of the RSTF, does anybody read, over?" He let go and waited a few seconds, but all he could hear was static. He decided to try again.

"This is Sergeant Dean Forester of the RSTF, I heard your signal and requested a response, over?'

Dean waited, then waited some more, then waited a little longer. After two whole minutes, he gave a sigh of defeat. It was probably just his hearing messing with him, or his radio being faulty. It was a newer model so he began to wonder just what was wrong wi--

"...H-Hello, is any... there?"

Dean lept of the bed in surprise and amazement. Someone was talking to him! He wasn't alone! He gave a whoop of joy and moved to respond.

"I read you, this is Sergeant Dean Forester of the RSTF, with whom am I speaking?" He couldn't contain the beaming smile that threatened to split his face in two. He giggled ever so slightly and contemplated if he had been going mad from lack of human interaction.

"Hello Mr. Dean... can you help me out here for a moment?"

The audio was in much better condition this time, causing Dean to frown. It sounded like a kid was talking to him on the other end. Was Discord really cruel enough to bring a child into this world?

"S-sure thing, kid. What seems to be the problem, are you lost?"

"No, my mommy told me to call for some help for something, but she didn't tell me why. Are you a pony Mr. Dean, my mommy said it had to be a pony if I was going to talk to them." ,

Dean's heart dropped and his shoulders visibly drooped. So it was a pony kid, a foal, who was talking to him. Dean's heart ached, he just wanted to go home.

"I'm not a pony, kid, but I do work for them. Are there any Elves with you?" Dean was cautious now, the Elves might have figured out he had radio technology.

"N-no, my mommy told m-me to hide from them in the cellar. They're doing something in my town's center, setting up bleachers and fences. I saw through the window that most of the adults and a few of my friends were put in the holding pens." Dean frowned at that, why would the ponies be put in pens? What was going on?

"They also said there would be a-an exocu... no, an excomun... no, no. They said something about an ex-something. All the Elves are setting up near the pens, I think I'll go see mommy tomorrow when it's bright out again."

Dean's blood ran cold and his face paled. His hands started to shake as he walked towards the only window in his room. He could see the edge of the horizon starting to twinge red and got a strong sense of Vertigo.

"What town are you from, kid? I think I can help you! I-I'm a good friend of the ponies!" Dean started to sweat as he started pacing around his room. Until now, he had no idea what the ponies were going through. He assumed that they had simply been conquered and the leader was an evil tyrant who needed stopping. If these Elves were executing entire towns, then something much bigger and worse was going on.

"Really?! I have been trying for the last hour to try and reach a friend! Oh, I live in Ravenford. If you ask the Mayor where you live, then I'm sure they will tell you how to get here."

Dean threw his rifle on the bed along with most of his equipment. Two frags, three nine-bangs, two extra magazines for the rifle, and two extra clips for the pistol.

"Mr. Dean, are you still there?"

Dean fumbled with the button as he tried to respond.

"Y-yeah! I'm here kid. I'll be coming to help you out okay? I'm not a pony though, I'm something called a human. I-I'm the ponies awesome helper!" Dean started to pack his supplies into their spots in his armor. The rifle attached to his back, his extra bullets went into their little slots, and his grenades were placed on his sides. He quickly searched for his optical unit while the pony kept talking.

"That's so cool! I've heard some stories from my daddy about Human's but they are just myths. You're actually a Human?!" Dean cracked a smile at the ponies' energy. This is what he was trying to save, the future of the Equestrians. He had a job to fulfill, even when he had no obligation either. He could have ignored the foal, gone on his mission, and let the ponies suffer. He would have completed the mission, but he would also be living up to his reputation: A killer without a heart, always focused on the mission. This was his chance to prove himself, both to the ponies, and to his personal being.

"What's your cutie mark kid, and what type of pony?" Dean hoped the foal would give him some more information before the Elves arrived to take him away. He was surprised the pointed eared bastards even had radio technology; maybe it was powered by magic?

"I don't have one yet, but I'm a Unicorn, Mr. Dean. I can do levitation too, I'll show you when you get here!" Dean grimaced, he needed to know where the town was if he wanted to rescue the ponies there.

"I look forward to it, kid. I'll tell you what, I want you to hide somewhere in the basement until I get there, don't go looking for your mother until I get you, okay?" Dean waited a moment for the kid to respond.

"S-sure thing, Mr. Dean. My house is a big and white one right near the forest, it's the only one with a pumpkin patch. When will you get here?"

Dean thought about that. He would need to acquire a ride. If he explained the situation, he was sure the Prince or Twilight would help him out.

"I'll be there tomorrow at sunrise, kid, maybe even earlier!" Dean tried to sound upbeat through the mic.

"That's good, they said they were going to do the exo-thingy around ten. You'll have plenty of time! I've gotta go, my cat wants some food. I'll see you soon Mr. Dean!" Dean felt dread creep into his heart at those words. He didn't have enough time.

"I-I'll see you soon kid. Don't leave the house." His voice came out hoarse as he closed his eyes and breathed. He needed to focus for this mission, who knew how many lives depended on him. Dean figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a few guards to join him.

With his mind set, Dean stalked out the door to look for the royal duo. The bell tower in the city struck seven, starting the countdown for the lives of the ponies in Ravenford

*****

Twilight plodded along behind her brother, her head down and tears running down her eyes. Her ears were splayed back as the crack of the hammer pounded around her mind. All those ponies, dying for nothing. It was the Dark Elves fault, they were the evil ones, the ones who would massacre villages to get what they wanted.

'Thump, thump, thump, thump...'

The sound of very familiar footfalls snapped Twilight of her stupor. Her eyes briefly lit up as a familiar metal clad bi-ped jogged down the path towards them. Twilight's brief joy turned into confusion when she saw that Dean was wearing his rifle and a few strange thingies on his waist. She decided not to question it and quickly raced towards the Human, Shining following behind at a slow trot.

"Dean!" Twilight cried as she reached him. Her hooves left a rut in the path as she skidded to a halt in front of him. And then the soldier jogged around her.

Twilight's heart shattered in an instant and fresh tears poured down her face. Confusion filled her mind as she whipped her head around to look at the tall figure. The Sergeant finally stopped in front of her brother and stopped.

"Sergeant Dean, are you out for an evening jog?" Twilight heard the strain in her brother's voice. He was likely irritated that she had been utterly ignored by the Human.

"No, sir. I bring urgent news as well as a very important request."

'When did Dean start calling Shining 'sir'? Did something happen that I missed earlier?'

"What is it Sergeant? Why isn't Midnight Flow with you?" Twilight began to walk towards her brother.

"Sir, I was fiddling with my communication device a few minutes prior when I picked up a signal. Some foal out in a place called Ravenford communicated with me seeking help. His entire town is going to be executed on the morrow!" Dean looked down at Twilight and noticed the tear streaked face. He winced slightly but otherwise didn't say anything. Upon his words, Twilight's heart had nearly stopped. Her breathing quickened as her eyes searched for this communication device.

"Sergeant... there's no easy way to say this..."

"Don't worry Captain, I have a group of ponies I think have potential if you'll allow them to work with me. It shouldn't take too l-"

Dean stopped as Shining held up a hoof. His eyes closed as his nose dropped towards the ground. Twilight saw confusion cross Dean's features as he stared at her brother.

"Sergeant. The counsel got a similar message just a few hours ago. They voted not to help the town in order preserve our location." Shining looked up into the face of Dean and nearly regretted it.

"They did what?" Dean's voice was a whisper, but the coldness behind his words cut like a knife, causing the two ponies to wince.

"We c-couldn't stop it from happening, Dean. It was elected among the group in a democratic form." Twilight sighed, her eyes searching for Deans, but his face was cast in shadow. "There is nothing we can do."

"Like hell there isn't." Dean looked up, his irises burning with fury. "Women and children are going to be slaughtered tomorrow morning if we don't do something. I can't stand by and let it happen if I know I can do something to stop it." Dean turned and began to walk away. "I'll run there if I have to." He turned his back, but Shining called out to him.

"Dean! You can't take the Dark Elves on your own! They have an army in that town and you are just one soldier! You don't stand a chance!" Dean whipped around and stalked back towards the siblings. Twilight backpedaled slightly and her eyes widened.

"I've seen enough slaughters to last a lifetime. I won't let another one happen on my watch, I won't. I will rip the bastards apart with my bare hands if I have to. I will tear through their ranks like a saw through bone if it means I can save. One. More. Life." Dean stopped and poked Shining in the chest for each word enunciated.

He then turned his back and jogged towards the gates of the barracks, which would lead him to the Everfree.

"DEAN!" Twilight's shout caused him to turn back around. "Just... just be careful, Ravenford is to the South West from here!"

"Twilight, this is no time for caution. It is now a race against the clock." He turned and jogged off, but not before yelling another comment over his shoulder. "I won't let another massacre happen again!"

Twilights mane flew in the light wind, her eyes were shining as the last rays of sun set behind her. After a few moments, Dean was completely out of sight. She turned to her brother.

"Get Midnight flow and your sleekest chariot." Twilight ordered. The authority in her voice snapped the Prince from his long off look.

"Twilight, he can't possibly do th-"

It doesn't matter." She snapped. "If we don't do something to help, then we are just as guilty as the Dark Elves. Dean can do this, I believe in him, but he needs to get there, fast." Shining looked into his sister's eyes for a few seconds, seeing nothing but determination. He nodded his head.

"Okay." And he took off at a full gallop towards the barracks. Twilight turned to look at where Sergeant Dean had disappeared to. He will have passed the gates of the fort by this point and would have to cross a bit of field.

'Come back to me, Dean.' She whispered.

Time was ticking down, and with it, so were the chances of the town's survival...

2