Chapter 34: Dinner for a Few (Part 1)
82 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dean whistled as he passed through the barracks. His helmet rested under his arm as his boots thudded against the stone floor. Passing by a window, Dean saw the beginnings of a setting sun painting the sky with a beautiful splash of colours. Mixtures of orange, pink, and red washed through the widespread clouds and across the horizon, setting a calming effect across his stressed mind.

For the coming operation, he would be hard pressed to ensure his squad's survival. Just because the Dark Elven numbers at the base were few, didn't mean that they were any less of a threat to the ponies. His squad mates were handpicked by him, and he knew they were skilled, but they had lost the war for the reason of being technologically and militarily inferior. If he was going to turn that around, then he would need a lot more time than he was currently given.

The sound of laughter caught Dean's attention and he stopped whistling his merry tune for a moment. The laughter continued, and after taking a few more steps, he found himself in front of Lieutenant Midnight's room.

The door was cracked open ever so slightly and Dean was just able to make out the Pegasus sitting on a chair. Midnight was chuckling, as was a familiar sounding mare. Dean reached forward and knocked twice on the door. Upon hearing Midnight yell 'come in,' he slowly walked in, the hinges creaking at the movement.

"Sergeant!" Midnight hopped down from his perch and trotted towards the towering Human, a smile plastered across his muzzle. Upon getting close, Midnight stuck his hoof straight out; Dean caught on quickly and bumped an armoured fist against Midnight's hoof.

"How's it going, Lieutenant?" Dean saw Spitfire sitting on a chair, her trademark shades sitting atop her head. She was not wearing her usual Captains attire, however, and instead had settled for neatly braided hair. Dean looked down at Midnight and noticed he was well groomed as well. Both their fur was in pristine condition, as were the feathers upon their wings. Dean raised an eyebrow at the two. "You plan on going somewhere?"

Midnight smiled and trotted back to his seat, but instead of resting in his original position, he decided to push it around the table so that he sat beside Spitfire. As soon as he was upon the chair, she immediately leaned into his side and nuzzled his neck, a content smile on her lips. Dean himself smiled at the display of affection, and silently congratulated the two.

"Yep! The tavern down in the city is hosting a special feast in honour of the Ravenford survivors. Believe it or not, counsellor Starlight was the one to set it up. It's a formal event of sorts, though a tuxedo isn't necessarily required. I decided to take Spits with me for one last night out before the mission..." Midnight continued talking about the coming event, but Dean wasn't paying attention. His vision was distorting and a ringing had begun in his ears. Suddenly, the room disappeared.

Music played gently in the background, the assorted stringed and brass instruments creating a harmonic melody. Patrons and diners sat around large, round tables covered in silk table sheets. Cutlery, professionally set up, rested in perfect order before each person. A large chandelier provided a copious amount of light throughout the room, reflecting off the wine glasses around the room. One such glass was in Dean's hand, red liquid sloshing within as he laughed with the beautiful girl in front of him--

Dean found himself blinking as his vision grew slightly blurry. He blinked a few more times before he realised everything was silent. Looking around, he noticed Midnight was looking at him expectantly. Dean's mind went blank for a few moments before Midnight spoke.

"I asked if you were going as well?" Midnight's eyes flicked to Spitfire, who had her eyes narrowed in thought. Dean suddenly felt slightly self-conscious as beads of sweat formulated upon his forehead. No doubt his face was pale at the moment from the sudden memory.

'Just don't think about it.'

Dean forced a smile as he spoke.

"I think so. Twilight invited me to dinner with her tonight, so I assume that since the event is tonight, then that's likely where she will bring me." The bell in the city clanged, its melody echoing across the bay. At seven strikes, the bell tower fell silent.

Midnight perked up, as did Spitfire, and they promptly jumped down from their seats. The two trotted through the room, looking for their saddlebags. Dean took that as his cue to leave.

"I'll catch up with you at dinner!" Dean called as he backed out the door. The two pegasi stopped and waved at him as he left.

"Don't be a stranger, come and sit with us if you get the chance!" Spitfire called. Dean merely nodded before beating a hasty retreat. If those two were getting ready to go, then he likely didn't have a lot of time before he needed to meet Twilight.

His footsteps clunked down the hallway at a much quicker pace than before. Guards moving to and fro glanced at him in confusion before going about their night. The change of the guard would be taking place in roughly an hour, and Dean did not want to be caught up in the middle of that.

After a minute of walking, he finally made it back to his room. Opening the door, he was greeted by a large pile of supplies.

Flashbangs, fragmentation grenades, EMP devices, and night vision goggles littered the floor. A quick glance at the wagon showed that roughly half of his materials were gone, the Fabricator having used their components on the various devices.

Dean walked up to the device in question and began fiddling with the controls. All the supplies he had asked for were fabricated, but he wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything. After scrolling through the holographic screen, Dean happened upon a peculiar section inside the weapons folder.

//EXO-SUIT-UPGRADE// //:DESIGNATION, BLADE... MATERIALS REQUIRED: COMPOUND_X, STRADIUM;; DO YOU WISH TO PROCEED?//

The glow of the hologram splashed across his features as he stared down at the picture before him. Giddiness welled in his chest as his mouth hung open. When he had left, the RSTF had only just begun implementing armour variants onto the operators. The first stealth projection device had been in field testing when he was sucked into the Rift. It had allowed the wearer to become virtually invisible, something that the Orith invaders had not thought to invent. Even with superior technology, the Orith were very rudimentary in their designs. They had never thought to keep inventing, thinking that Humanity was so inferior that it wasn't worth the effort.

Dean smiled at the thought. The Orith had underestimated his race and their ability to adapt, giving them plenty of time to find ways to fight back. Dean knew that if Humanity won the war, they would have the biggest technological advancement in history on their hands. They could travel the stars, colonise planets, protect themselves from the Alien menace!

Dean smiled wistfully. He wanted to be a part of that, but it wouldn't be possible unless they won. Humanity needed all the help it could get in the war, hence his need to return. That, and he wanted to see his little boy grow up....

'NO, DON'T LET IT IN!'

Dean frowned and shook his head. He swore he had heard a voice, one that was awfully familiar.

'THEY ARE GONE, DON'T GIVE IT LEVERAGE!'

Dean blinked, a small headache forming within the back of his skull. He briefly wondered if he was coming down with something, but that shouldn't have been possible. His suit would have alerted him, and his augmentations made it near impossible to get sick. It would take a tremendously deadly disease to knock him off his feet.

Dean closed his eyes and counted to ten. Over the course of that time, the headache slowly dissipated until it was nothing but a small twinge. Satisfied, he looked back at the screen of the fabricator, the options of 'select' or 'cancel' were arrayed before him. Without hesitation, Dean's finger tapped the option to begin the fabrication process.

'Alright, now that that's over with, let's see if I can find something to wear.'

Dean began shedding his new armour and undergarment. He knew he had some basic clothing somewhere, so that would have to suffice instead of something fancy. With a final smirk, Dean got to work.

*****

Twilight trotted back and forth throughout the room, her mind combing through every detail of her planned night. Her lavender coat was brushed till it shined, and her mane was done up in a bun on the back. A quick flash of magic, and a barely noticeable sparkle seemed to tinge her tail. There wasn't anything fancy she could wear, not with the city's lack of such resources. All she could do was wash herself with some decent shampoo and add a touch of makeup to her face. The dinner itself wasn't all that fancy, the only reason it was considered 'formal' was for Starlight's speech on the ponies of Ravenford.

Twilight growled slightly as the unicorn came to her mind. Something was off about her, and she was determined to find out what it was. Her brother had fallen for her, much to Twilight's charagin, but she wouldn't be fooled. That unicorn had a hidden motive, a plan that was hidden in the shadows.

Twilight blinked as she found herself glaring hatefully at her saddlebags and quickly wiped the expression from her face. Such an attitude wouldn't do if she was to be the Princess everypony needed. With her arrival, morale had increased significantly. Pair that with Dean's victory, and the hearts within the Resistance soared. Hopefully they could continue this streak.

"Twilight? Are you ready to go?"

Twilight levitated her saddlebags onto her bag and turned, a happy smile dominating her features. Her tail swished softly as she trotted towards her number one assistant.

"Sure am, Spike!" She said as the baby dragon held the door for her. His scales had been shined and his spines had been smoothed. A little red bowtie was strapped around his neck. "Let's go get Dean, then we can go." She trotted out the door and entered the cool evening air. A beautiful sunset was arrayed across the horizon and reflected in her eyes. She stood there for several seconds as her mind went blank. It was as if she had just sat down with a book, her light blanket wrapped around her as a fire crackled nearby. She could see it now, her bookshelves would be arranged perfectly, compliment to Spike's hard work, and a phonograph played quiet music in the background. The sun was setting just outside her l-libr... her library.

A tear slid down Twilights cheek, even though the smile remained. The memories of a time past took her thoughts from her as she recalled her life in ponyville. Her friends, the six best ponies one could ask for, were gone, probably dead. Her town was likely repurposed, used for the Elven war machine as the inhabitants were killed and enslaved.

Twilight felt her back legs give out as she stared across the horizon. Her ears had drooped, as had her wings, and she was no longer smiling. She felt someponies hand, likely Spikes, rest on her withers in a comforting gesture. She had no idea why she was getting so emotional, it wasn't like her. Something about that beautiful sunset and its array of colours was getting to her. Maybe it was the gentle breeze washing through the air, or the birds chirping in the trees. Maybe it was the sounds of day to day life in the city as it closed down for the night. Whatever it was, none of it mattered. She was stuck with the memory of her friends, and the good times they had together. After two years of being alone, running from a deadly foe, the true nature of her situation was catching up to her. If it wasn't for Dean, the Human, the Demon in Metal, then she most likely would have gone insane.

"You can tell me what's wrong Twi, I'm here for you." Spike's voice was soothing, and Twilight found the dam about to break. She had been ignoring it all week: the urge to break down into a sobbing mess. So much had happened in so little time, and she couldn't help but get overwhelmed. Coupled with her feelings for Dean, it was a miracle she hadn't collapsed at all.

Her body began shaking, and her lips trembled. Spike saw what was happening and immediately wrapped his sister in a hug. His shorter arms were not big enough to encompass her fully, but that didn't stop him from trying. Twilight wrapped her hooves around the little dragon and squeezed him tightly, nearly to the point of suffocation. tears poured down her face, causing the small amounts of makeup she had applied to run down her cheeks and off her face.

Nopony was around to hear her sobbing, which she was grateful for. She just needed to let her feelings out. She could literally feel the years of stress, horror, pain, and loneliness begin to wash away and out into the sunset. The negative emotions she had bottled up inside spilled out into the breeze, flowing out like a raging river.

Spike was there through it all, never letting go. After several more seconds, Twilight spoke.

"T-thanks, Spike." She whispered her weeping having dissipated into the odd hiccup. The tears flowed to a stop, leaving her face sticky and moist. A small smile touched her lips as she continued to hug her little brother.

"Don't worry about it, it's what siblings are for." Twilight snorted and slowly detached herself from the baby dragon. She reached a hoof up to wipe away the streaks of makeup. Spike looked up at her and smirked.

"Though my fee for comforting others is ten gems for every five minutes."

Twilight snorted and closed her eyes. All traces of sadness were gone as she giggled at the little dragon before her. She stood back up and nudged Spike with her side, sending him toppling over. They both laughed at his plight before Twilight lit her horn. Her face was quickly enveloped in a lavender aura before the makeup streaks all but disappeared. Twilight beamed and lifted Spike onto her back with her magic.

"Alright, let's go find our Human!" Spike cheered as Twilight trotted down the path to the barracks. Her mood was lifted, and her energy was returned. She felt lighter, like an invisible weight had finally been removed. Her duty as a Princess wasn't gone, her problems weren't fixed, but something inside her was finally void of negativity.

With a pep in her step, Twilight continued on her mission, the shimmering sunset at her back.

*****

Lyra Heartstrings cursed as she nearly sliced her hoof on the knife before her. What she was doing required the utmost attention and precision. Should she fail, then her task was an utter failure; and that was something she could not allow. If the Dark Elves caught her, then she was a dead mare walking.

With a mighty swing, the knife split the air with a slight whistle, the gleam of its blade highlighting how sharp it truly was. A moment later...

...the blade sliced into the carrot, cutting it perfectly in two.

Lyra smiled and began to dice the orange vegetable. She took pride in her delicately put together foodstuffs, and her master loved it. Technically speaking, Jowl didn't see her as a servant or slave, but with the constant need to use such terms when in public, they sort of just adopted it.

Speaking of Jowl, his heavy footsteps creaked across the upstairs floorboards as he moved about his room. The Dark Elf wanted this to be a special night, especially since their new... guest, would be arriving shortly.

Lyra was about to dump the newly diced carrots into the bowl, when a small giggle sounded from behind the wall. Lyra immediately stopped what she was doing and listened intently, her ear swivelling in the direction of the noise. The giggle sounded again, and Lyra smirked.

What she didn't notice, however, was the pair of orange hooves slowly descending towards the board full of carrots. The stubby little legs belonging to a certain Pegasus filly waved unevenly as they reached further and further. If someone were to look behind the freezer box, they would notice a little white unicorn focusing her magic on said Pegasus.

Said magic began to waiver and sputter, the strain from lifting her friend growing too much.

"WHOA!"

Lyra spun around and immediately cast a levitation spell, ensnaring the little orange Pegasus in a turquoise glow. Glancing sideways, she caused the spell to encircle the little unicorn as well and promptly floated both so they were in front of her.

Scootaloo and Sweetie-Belle each wore sheepish expressions as they realised they were caught. Scootaloo's wings fluttered at her side as she crossed her forehooves in front of her chest.

"No fair! Pipsqueak was supposed to distract you sooner!" She huffed and turned her nose in the air. Her purple, messy mane fell into her face, which prompted Sweetie Belle to giggle. Lyra was about to make a remark when a certain Earth Pony colt sprinted into the room.

"I'm so sorry, guys! I forgot the amount of time you said to wait before starting the distraction. I also saw a mouse over by the chair and it distracted me!" Pipsqueak looked between Lyra and the crusaders before his gaze settled on the mint coloured Unicorn. His eyes widened and he tried to scramble away, but he wasn't fast enough.

Lyra's magic wrapped around the colt's hind legs and dragged him through the air to rest beside the two fillies. The trio looked at her in worry now, realising that their fate rested solely in her hooves. Lyra contemplated for a moment on how to punish the would-be thieves, but Jowl chose that minute to enter the room.

"Alright, listen up, ye lot." His massive frame strode into the kitchen before promptly stopping beside Lyra. He placed a hand on her back and gave an affectionate rub before regarding the three foals before him. "I need you tree tah shtay quiet while ah deal with 'Missus Brown'igg. It was ah miracle she even letme buy dat poor filly in dah first place, so don' go screwin' it up!" Jowl gave them each a stern look, but it didn't hold any heat. The three foals knew that he was simply being stern in the hopes of keeping them safe. He was taking an immense risk hiding them away and taking care of them so well.

Ever since the invasion, there had been a select few Dark Elves who had opposed the actions taken against the Equestrians. They believed that the ponies should be able to live with them, even if they did steal all the magic. The only problem was that the movement never gained traction, and was thought to have died out.

Jowl, the plump, and seemingly well off Dark Elf was one of those opposers. He had started slowly, first by buying his current lover, and then working towards the younger ones. The older ponies were put to work, but since the younger ones couldn't do the same jobs, the Dark Elves had made... other uses for them. Under the pretence of using them as pleasure, Jowl had succeeded in buying three fillies, with a forth on the way. This other filly, Apple Bloom, was actually requested by his current house mates.

Finally, after a week of non-stop arguing and negotiating, he could finally save that filly from that horrible farm she had used to live in.

Knock, Knock, Knock, Knock!

All of their eyes widened as someponies knuckles rapped against the front door. Jowl’s face went red as he scrambled towards the living room.

"Quickly, quickly! Get yourselves tied up before the guards notice!" Jowl ushered the four into the living room. Lyra placed the three foals beside the Magi-comm, where a trio of leashes lay attached to the wall. Her magic worked quickly as she slipped the metal collars over each pony's head and around their neck. Once they were secure, she moved onto her own binds.

A dark blue collar found its way around her neck, followed by a fake inhibitor ring around her horn. With a flash of her horn, a black eye suddenly materialised on her right eye.

Jowl checked over each and every one of them before swiftly standing. He reached up and straightened his tie before turning towards the door.

Knock, Knock, Knock, Knock!

"Coming!" Jowl cried as he thumped forward. He could see three silhouettes through the stained glass beside the entryway, but he already knew who was there. He passed by a few pairs of shoes, each for a different occasion, and swiftly unlatched the door.

Swinging it wide, Jowl was greeted by two Elven soldier's, a grumpy sales broker, and a terrified filly. His eyes flicked between the three Elves before focusing on the yellow furred Earth Pony near their feet. He could make out various bruises, purple in colour, decorating her coat. Her mane was messy and unkempt, and her eyes seemed dead to the world. Her right hind leg was lifted slightly off the ground, likely due to some form of injury. Jowl contained his wince of sympathy and covered it up with a feral, demented smile.

The filly's eyes glanced upwards, but upon seeing the look Jowl was giving her, she shied away and tried to tuck behind Mrs. Brownrigg's legs. A swift kick in the side ended her retreat quickly enough.

"Well, Jowl, it seems you've lucked out. Even with the threat of the Resistance, the Mayor has decided to grant you a bit of leeway. The barns were getting too full, so the more Elves that we sell too, the better." Mrs. Brownrigg smiled devilishly and took a step forward. "May I come in for just a moment?"

Jowl simply nodded and stepped back. He stumbled slightly on one of his shoes, but managed to retain his balance. Mrs. Brownrigg and her two guards slowly entered the house, the terrified Earth pony shivering as she passed through the door.

"Nice little place you've got here." The sales broker commented as she began to examine the little entry-room. Jowl began to sweat lightly beneath his suit. He had prepared for something like this, but that didn't mean he wanted it to happen. The sooner Brownrigg left, the better off things would be.

"Ay'd have tah agree with ye, madam. Dah previous owner kept it clean an' spiffy!" Jowl regarded the two guards warily. Each wore a stoic expression and carried a shock baton on their belt. Jowl knew first hand how much those devices hurt; hopefully they wouldn't have to be used.

"Quite." Brownrigg sniffed before slowly walking towards the living room. Her high heels clicked with each step she took. Her posture was uptight and rigid, putting Jowls senses on edge. He nearly missed her next question.

"How are those other foals you bought? I'm sure by now they would be broken in?" Brownrigg missed the frown that Jowl gave to her back, but he quickly fixed his expression before anyone could see.

"The foals are definitely useful. It's been mighty lonely, and a man needs to find some way to release his pent up energy." Jowl gramaced inside at the perverted words he had just uttered. Never before had he thought of raping anyone, much less a pony. It wasn't right.

Brownrigg snickered as she stalked towards Lyra, whose face was down like she was sleeping. The three fillies watched from their spots on the wall as the sales broker knelt next to the Unicorn. With a sneer, she tilted her head to the side, as if to examine the pony beneath her. Jowl began to really sweat now, his face turning slightly red. This was not how it was supposed to go.

Applebloom saw his expression and regarded the Elf with curiosity. The gaze he had given here was downright predatory in nature, but something was missing from it. She couldn't quite place what, but it was almost as if her new owner had been acting. Her attention returned towards Mrs. Brownrigg when she stood back up.

"Stupid animals." She muttered.

Quick as a snake, her hand reached out and snagged a shock baton from the closest guards belt. The Elf in question didn't bat an eye as the broker jammed the staff into the Unicorn's side and ignited the electricity.

The ensuing screech of pain was possibly the worst Applebloom had heard, and that was saying something. She could only watch in sadness as the unicorn was painfully electrified. Bloom recognized the pony, but two years inside a prison of sorts had caused her to lose touch with the going ons outside the barn.

Glancing up once more, she was surprised to see something unlike ever before.

Her new owner was staring down at the Unicorn, shock plastered across his features. His eyes were wide and his ears were pinned downwards. His mouth opened and closed feebly as the screeching intensified in volume.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Brownrigg retracted the device and shut it off. Handing it back to the guard, she turned to face Jowl. Her own expression morphed into suspicion at his look.

"Jowl, are you well? Did my actions... shock you... in any way?" Applebloom shrunk back at the tone of voice. Such an undertone usually meant a beating if one wasn't careful.

The unicorn whimpered pitifully on the ground, her fur scorched and her flesh seared. Her hooves clutched the burnt area as tears poured down her face. Applebloom slowly shuffled towards her until she was resting at the mint coloured ponies side. Leaning down, she slowly nuzzled the side of the unicorn's face, causing her eyes to crack open. Applebloom caught the faintest of smiles before Jowl responded.

"N-not at all, mam!" He said quickly, holding up his hands defensively. "Ah jus' didn't know somethin' could make such ah loud racket is all!" He chuckled, but his ears remained downwards. Mrs Brownrigg examined his face for a second, then two. Applebloom could see the nervousness outlined there and cocked her head to the side. Something was going on, but she had no idea what it was.

Finally, the female Elf broke her stare before walking towards the door.

"Be careful, Mr. Jowl. Sometimes, If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.” The two guards followed her out the door, which closed with a Slam behind them.

As soon as the door closed, the Dark Elf let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank the gods, she's gone."

Apple Bloom had no time to think about what he had said before she felt a tingle around her neck. Looking down, she saw a yellow hue surrounding her collar.

Elven magic.

She began to struggle against her owner's grip, trying to break free. She had been one of the lucky ones on the farm, having avoided most of the Dark Elves looking for some fun. There was only the one incident where she was... she was...

Her efforts grew as she grunted in exertion. She would rather die than go through that experience again. Never before had she felt such pain, emotionally and physically. Whoever this new guy was, he wasn't going to get any pleasure from her!

The glow suddenly stopped, causing Apple Bloom to fall back on her rump. Shaking her head, she gazed up at the Dark Elf in fear. Being so young, she was miniscule compared to the bipedal monsters. The size of this one was big in both width and height this time. If he so much as got his hands on her, there would be nothing she could do. There was nothing she could do even now.

Tears spilled from her eyes as she collapsed to the ground and began to sob. Her tail tucked between her legs and her ears pinned to the sides of her head. Her forehooves covered her eyes, the hopelessness of the situation finally hitting her at full force.

An Elf only bought a foal for one thing and one thing only: Pleasure. That was what was going to happen to her now. This Dark Elf was going to have his way with her until she died. There would be no--

"Apple Bloom?" A soft voice suddenly spoke.

The little yellow filly stopped her sobbing, her brain trying to process the voice she had just heard. The only pony she had seen had been the mint green unicorn from before, but this voice was different... familiar. It sounded like--

"It's okay, Apple Bloom, you're safe now." This voice was raspy. The filly slowly lifted the hooves off of her eyes, not daring to believe what she had just heard. Her heart rate sped up and her breath quickened. She saw two sets of hooves, one covered in orange fur, the other in white. Upon raising her eyes higher, she let out a loud gasp.

New tears sprung forth as her tail swished back and forth.

"G-girls?" She whispered, still unbelieving of who was now standing in front of her. Upon seeing them nod in unison, she let out a strangled cry and stumbled forward.

Grabbing her two best friends in each hoof, she cried as she pulled them close. Too much had happened that day, too many emotions had been going through her head. Never before had she felt so much relief!

As the three hugged one another, Jowl and Lyra stood off to the side, the latter holding a damp cloth to her burn. They watched the CMC reunite for the first time in two years, and it brought a tear to Lyra's eyes.

"You know how much this meant to them, right?" She pointed with a hoof towards the three fillies, who now sat silently in each other's embrace. The crying had stopped, but they remained together. "Because of you, they can continue to live free, and happily." She looked up at Jowl and smiled. "Thank you."

Jowl smiled sadly and shook his head.

"There is more tah do yet; these four foals are only dah first. More'll be saved in time." They watched as Pipsqueak trotted forward and joined the group hug. Lyra caught a blush on Scootaloo's face, but she didn't say anything as she turned towards the kitchen.

"Common, let's get dinner set up. I have a feeling that I'll need to make more than one salad." They both chuckled as they moved to the kitchen.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were finally united, but the night was only just beginning. Several hundred kilometres away, a certain Human and the last Alicorn were on their way to a dinner of their own...

3