Chapter 37: Longa Via Septentriones
57 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rain pounded from above and droplets of water fell with vigorous intent. The constant wave of shaking leaves, and groaning branches resonated through the dense Everfree forest. Far below the roof of the canopy, figures moved in tight formation with one another. Every once and awhile, a light clap would echo around. Moisture clogged the air, and the smells of earth and rot wafted through through their senses. The forest floor was damp; perfect for breeding a certain blood sucking insect.

"Fuking bugs." Dean grumbled as he slapped a hand on his neck to kill the pesky insect. It had been roughly six hours into their journey so far, and they were making good time. The only setback was the constant blood suckers. Dean couldn't wait to get away from the forest and into the icy tundra near Stalliongrad. At least there there wouldn't be any bugs.

"You know, for being some super soldier from another dimension, you complain an awful lot." Dean scowled and looked back at Midnight. The jet black Pegasus revealed no emotion, or annoyance, from the constant onslaught of mosquitos attacking the group. Wisely, he never looked up at Dean's scowl.

"These bugs could be carrying an unknown pathogen that might be harmful to myself. If--"

Dean was interrupted by a snort coming from his left. His head whipped around as he tried to find the perpetrator, and his eyes landed on Stormfly. He barely caught the edges of a smile before her face went blank as well. Dean refocused on what lay in front of him and continued walking.

The equipment brought by the ponies rattled and shook as they trotted after their Human leader. Each one was wearing unique armour. Some was scavenged, some was homemade, and most was from their previous duties as royal guards.

Spitfire wore a sleek black and white striped jumpsuit as well as flight goggles on her head. hardened fibres of some sort, as well as various lightweight metals, covered all four of her legs. Her torso was surrounded by padded armour, and a strange glint was emanating from her wings. Dean reckoned they were wing blades of some sort.

Unlike Spitfire, who wore metal as well as padding, Midnight only chose the latter. His flight suit was also striped black and white in a camouflage pattern, and he wore padded armour on every single leg. A strap containing various small weapons and equipment crossed across his chest and neck, allowing him easy access should the need for a fight arise. He too had metal through his feathers.

Stormfly was slightly more unique, and Dean was the reason.

Because of her confidence and brute like personality, Dean had dubbed her a close quarters fighter and weapons expert. She carried a short sword under her wing, similar to a Roman gladius, and blades in her feathers. She wore the old royal guard greaves on the front of each leg, and a modified version of the royal guard body armour. Chainmail replaced parts of the lower body armour, while plate metal protected her chest. Her armour was painted a checker-like, and disorganized white in order for her to blend in better. Dean had personally overseen the pattern and made sure it was as close to standard winter camouflaged as possible.

On her head, sat what Dean could only describe as a relic of the past. A United States, World War Two, M1 combat helmet. The headwear was covered in white and black camouflage material, blending in perfectly with her current armour. Were she had found such a piece of equipment, Dean would never know. Not once had he seen or heard talk of anything similar to the second world war, nor has he been shown any evidence of a war prior to the Elves that would involve such technology.

The twins, Steel and Cobalt, were carrying their equipment with the wagon of supplies. Those two had developed a very heavy armour, leaving only their joints exposed and everything else covered. Had Dean given them something akin to a back mounted minigun, then they would be the pony equivalent to a juggernaut.

Swift Spear was very unique, almost as much as Stormfly. He carried very light armour, and opted for a simple hat along with a vest. A heavy crossbow was strapped to his back, and he carried around thirty bolts.

Each pony was outfitted with equipment provided by Dean. Each had a walkie-talkie, with the channels programmed to each other. Each had one flashbang, and one fragmentation grenade. Unlike the primitive grenades occasionally found throughout Maritime Bay, the modern, Human design was much more lightweight and easy to carry. Dean had had to show his squad how each piece of equipment worked during one of their training sessions.

The ponies were only missing one thing, and those were guns. The weapons they were currently utilizing were primitive and obsolete. For the current mission, he wasn't going to worry too much seeing as they would be in close quarters fighting, but in the future, they may not get such a luxury. It was his intent that by the time the Resistance made a push on the capital, he would have outfitted a select few with various rifles.

The group plodded along, and Dean remained lost in thought. Various possibilities played through his mind, and each one would be able to help them win the war. With the Dark Elven army occupied across the sea, they would have some time to attack and destroy the Elven Empire. It all depended if the Griffons could hold out just a few months more.

The Emperor had underestimated the Resistance, this much he knew. Should he have wanted, he likely could have sent his armies across the nation and eventually found the last free city of Maritime Bay. Thankfully, this wasn't the case, and Dean intended to use this to his advantage.

By wreaking havoc amongst the Dark Elves and their establishments, the Emperor would be forced to post what little guard force he has across the country in order to counter the guerrilla tactics of the Equins. Hopefully, he was cocky enough to think of himself as untouchable atop his castle, and by the time he realized the true extent of Deans plan, it would be to late.

"We will sing together
And the mountains will hear our call;
And we will raise our voices
Remembered forever, the Land of Equestria..."

The soft voice of Swift Spear overtook the rain, his words seeming to erase the chilly atmosphere. They continued walking, but all ears were turned towards the young Earth Pony as he continued.

"We will dance through the country
And the night and the day will be one;
Side by side, we will unite
As one mind, as one soul, the name of Equestria

Oh, Luna's night full of bright stars
With the moon shining down on the land;
Celestia's summer skies
To guide us, to lead us, in ruling Equestria

We will live in joyous laughter
With the love and the trust that we share;
And the world will know the good times...

The music was somber, but the lyrics told a different story. They spoke of a joyous nation, a land filled with wonder and laughter. On the second verse, all the other squad members slowly joined into the song. Each pony synced perfectly with the next, creating a beautiful chorus of harmonious vocals. The rain continued to pound down, and thunder continued to occasionally clap overhead, but not once did it drown out the music coming from the ponies.

Dean realized something then. These ponies, these people, they all had been living in harmony and peace with one another. The song being sung was a testament to that, with the depictions of play and love. It depicted a living soul at the heart of it all, something that these ponies had refused to leave behind. They fought for the freedom to once again see their idea of Equestria: A free and joyous society.

If only Earth was similar.

Even before the Orith, Humanity was tearing itself apart. Dean wasn't really a religious man, but if he had to hazard a guess, he would say the end times were nearly upon them. Things like corruption, war, and starvation were rampant, and the threat of global extinction was always stalking in the background, itching for someone to press a button and end it all.

Dean wanted a free world, a world where people could work together, love one another, and find happiness. Maybe Earth wasn't that spot, maybe it was to late to change. However, Dean knew one thing and one thing only: He would not rest until this world had the chance that Humanity didn't. They had a chance; a chance to push back the Elves, to remake and reshape the world into one of peace. Once this was done, and he was going to make sure it was, then and only then would he return home. Right now, the ponies needed him more than ever. He had the capability to change what happened in this world, and it was his duty to enact it.

And so, Dean listened as the song slowly came to a close. At some point, instruments had somehow made an appearance. A Piano had been playing, and a whole orchestra had played quietly in the background. It had been joyous and triumphant, but as the song came to a close, the somber feeling returned. Once more, the rain could fully be heard, but this time, it was overpowering. A crack of thunder rumbled across the sky, and lightning lit the air. Even with Dean's advanced hearing, he had a very hard time hearing the last words of the song.

"Glory and honour, the Land of Equestria."

Dean subtly turned his head and regarded his squad with a saddened expression. He could sense the nostalgia in the air, as well as the feeling of dread and sadness. He saw it on each of their faces, the hopelessness in their eyes and the defeat in their expressions. Such a powerful song, reduced by the overwhelming odds they faced. Sure, they would succeed in the coming mission, but the full brunt of the Elven war machine seemed unstoppable. For two years, the Equestrians had lived in fear and uncertainty. For two years, they had fought a losing battle. But that was just it... a battle. The war was not done, their hope was not extinguished. They had held out against the Elven menace, and their salvation had arrived.

Dean smiled as they plodded along. He felt energy entering his body, a happy, patriotic feeling. The others must have felt whatever he was feeling, for their ears perked and they all looked to the Human in their midst. Thunder rumbled once again, and the rain poured ever harder. An image flashed through Dean's mind, an image that portrayed freedom and justice. It was a song that represented life and liberty, as well as freedom from oppression. The ponies needed something to signify what they were fighting for, and Dean had just the song:

"Oh say can you see,
by the dawn's early light..."

Midnight and Spitfire looked at the Human in surprise, their mouths falling into an "oh." Stormfly raised an eyebrow, while Swift Spear's ears perked. Cobalt and Steel remained as stoic as ever.

"What so proudly we hail'd
At the twilight's last gleaming?"

The rain tried to drown out the uplifting tone in Dean's voice, but it failed. Thunder crashed once more from above, and a streak of lightning flew through the sky. Its rigid lines and electric look lasted for only a second before the world was once more bathed in gray. Dean kept singing.

"Whose broad stripes and bright stars
Through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watch'd
Were so gallantly streaming?"

A quiet humming accompanied Dean's voice, it's tune matching his lyrics. Each ponies hoofbeat suddenly became rhythmic, creating its own harmonious noise. Dean smiled and looked towards the treetops. A beam of sunlight suddenly cut through the gloomy sky, its ray piercing through the leaves and branches. Dean kept singing.

"And the rocket's red glare
The bombs bursting in air..."

Something akin to an orchestra was now playing softly in the background, though no instruments could be heard. The ponies behind him were now singing along, their voices adding a healthy mix of high and lows. Dean's voice was growing louder as he sang, his passion to his country, the one he protected and served, giving him the energy needed to continue.

A quick glance behind him showed that his squad was no longer stuck in a gloomy state. All except one. Swift Spear still kept his down trodden expression, and he seemed to ever so slightly be falling behind. The storm above was beginning to break, its clouds thinning in order to reveal a beautiful sunset. Shadows cast by the trees seemed to dance around them, swaying to the song of freedom and liberty.

"Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there..."

The rain slowly drizzled to a stop, and the rays of the fading sun fully flashed through the canopy above. Dean estimated they were about a quarter of the way along their journey. They would likely need to continue marching into the night, something he could easily do. The real question was: were his recruits up for it.

"O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free
And the home of the brave!"

The song came to an end, the final words seeming to echo across the forest and through the air. Dean felt pride. Pride in his nationality, and that he could live up to being a freedom fighter for the innocent. The Equestrians were suffering at the hands of the Dark Elves, and it was his job to deliver their freedom. They needed a morale boost, one that he could give.

"First Sergeant, I can't say I've ever heard you sing. Your voice is incredible!" Dean looked down and to his left, were a certain hot-head Pegasus was trotting along beside him. Another quick glance back showed looks of admiration and respect from his fellow soldier's. Dean blushed slightly and turned to hide his look of embarrassment.

"I'll say! You totally killed that!" Dean chuckled as Midnight piped up from behind him, but he decided not to respond. His eyes were back to scanning the surrounding forestry, and his ears were on high alert. He hadn't realized how loud he had really been singing, and he doubted the ponies did either. He was told stories about the forest they were currently in, the Everfree, and they weren't all to pleasant. Big or small, something would have heard them singing.

"Sergeant, it's nearly dark. I say we find a spot to set up camp." Spitfire's raspy voice caused Dean to jump slightly. He had been so focused on the forest, that he had forgotten about his own squad mates.

"I'm not sure Spitfire. I'm getting a strange feeling at the moment. It almost as if we are being--"

A flash caught the edge of Dean's vision, and his eyes swivelled towards the offending light. He stopped moving, as did everyone in their small group. Ever so slowly, Dean reached towards the P23 on his hip. The forest was deathly silent, definitely not a good sign. No birds chirped, and the wind no longer blew. Something was wrong.

Dean heard something then, something akin to a whisper. It blew past his ear, on the edge of his subconscious. Looking around, Dean's hand moved from his pistol to his helmet. A gentle yank was all it took to detach the headgear from his waist, and ever so slowly, he moved it towards his head. His eyes flicked to the side, and time slowed down.

Quick as a snake, Dean lifted his right arm in front of his face, and just on time. A metal tipped dart of some kind pierced through the air without a sound, the only warning of its presence being the light reflecting from its tip. The small projectile connected with his armour and ricocheted off into the depths of the forest. Before Dean could react, someone in his squad cried out in pain. He turned and saw that Midnight was now hanging some ten feet in the air, his legs snared in a rope.

Dean turned back around and slipped his helmet on, preparing for a fight, but before he could react, another dart came rocketing out of the gloom. Dean was to slow this time, and the dart deflected off of the bottom of his helmet, where his neck would be. Dean growled and lifted his rifle from his back before pointing it towards the foliage. A quick command through his neurolink and his surroundings suddenly went from forest green to neon infrared.

Through the dense bushes and undergrowth, Dean's eyes caught sight of a peculiar sight. A quadruped was standing behind a tree, and one hoof was raised to her face. Dean questioned why this was before the being lurched forward. The processors within his helmet calculated that a needle-like object was once again making its way towards him, so he quickly side stepped and let it pass.

"Where the buck are they!!" Stormfly yelled as she and the others minus Midnight ducked behind the wagon.

"One quadruped, North-North East. Moving to engage." Dean's voice crackled through the built in microphone. The device made him sound robotic and unnatural. He holstered his pistol and took off at a dead sprint. His infrared vision kept track of the enemy combatant. He failed to hear his squad calling for him to wait.

Another dart was launched towards him as he crashed through branches and brush, but once again, it was deflected away. Dean was rapidly approaching his target, but it had still not moved. It was obviously a pony of some kind, given its quadruped nature, but why would one be shooting at them? Sure, he could be mistaken for an Elf, but there was a multitude of ponies with him as well, free of chains and in armour no less.

Before Dean could think anymore, he suddenly found the reason why the pony had not moved. His eyes widened as a sixth sense screamed at him to duck. He followed that instinct immediately.

Some sort of hybrid animal suddenly jumped at him from the side, twin, razor sharp swords were held in its claws. Its war cry was all Dean heard as he flopped to his stomach and planted his face in the ground; the strange creature soared overhead.

Within milliseconds, he was up again and running, but this time, towards the new threat. If the two were allies, and he could subdue the flying thing that had attacked him, then maybe he could get them to converse without the need for violence. It was a risky plan, and he didn't have any backup, but he didn't really have any other options. Sooner or later, one of those darts would find a chink in his armour.

Dean approached the bird like creature rapidly as it moved to stand. Its failed attack had left it discombobulated and it was currently trying to stand. The creature was large, nearly three quarters his size lengthwise. It sported a pair of massive wings, and was covered nearly head to toe in feathers. Speaking of its head, the thing resembled an eagle, but its eyes were to big, and its beak was to small. From the waist down, it was a lion.

"My god, it's a Gryphon!" Dean whispered under his breath.

He didn't have much time to further analyse the fantastical creature before him, because it was now poised to attack once more. Its beak was curled into a snarl, and its swords were pointed towards his chest. Not once did it show fear towards the towering behemoth before it, and Dean smirked behind his helmet.

"DIE ELF!" It yelled in a vaguely feminine voice. Dean surmised the Gryphon to be a she, but he didn't have time to think on it as she was now jumping towards him.

Faster than a snake, Dean sidestepped her attack while simultaneously bringing his arm across both her talons. The sheer force of the blow was enough to knock the swords out of her grasp, and bruise her ligament. Her squak of pain and surprise was cut off as Dean's free arm found its way around her throat, while the other one came up to complete the choke hold. Should he want to, he could easily break her neck, and it seemed the Gryphon knew it to, for she went rigid and still.

"Gilda!" A deep, but womanly voice suddenly called from through the trees. It reminded Dean of an old African American lady he had met once while shopping with Mary and Jackson. Dean turned to face the perpetrating voice, making sure that the Gryphon in his grasp was angled towards it.

Dean's eyes nearly bugged out when a zebra of all things ran through a split in the trees before stopping not twenty feet away. A pair of worn saddle bags rested across her striped back, and golden rings ran up her neck. Her mane was decorated in a mohawk, and a strange marking not unlike a cutie-mark rested on her flank. Around her neck, was a primitive dart thrower, and across her side, was a wide array of darts.

"Release her at once, Elf! Surrender now, or suffer the consequences yourself!" The zebra snorted, lowered her head, and narrowed her eyes. Her ears folded back, and her tail flicked. The only thing that Dean could focus on at the moment was the fact that she had just threatened him by rhyming. He began to laugh.

"Pray tell, what is so amusing? Surely you know, your death is soon approaching!" She snarled the last bit and took a step forward, but Dean was faster. Before the Gryphon or Zebra could react, his knife suddenly made its way into his hand. Neither of them had seen him move, but both could now see the glimmering piece of stainless steel pressed against the Gryphons throat.

"Not another move. All I want is a moment to speak." Dean saw the Zebra narrow her eyes, but inside those irises, he could see a trace of fear. She wouldn't move so long as the Gryphon was in his custody.

"What is it you seek? My temper is at its peak." Dean bit back a retort. How was the zebra acting so high and mighty with the situation they were in?

"Sergeant! Wait!"

Dean half turned his head, but the knife never moved from its position. Lieutenant Midnight was galloping towards him from behind, his eyes frantic, and his breaths heaving.

"I'm a bit busy here Midnight." Dean grumbled as the Pegasus approached.

"I can see that. Though I don't think your attempt at diplomacy is working." Midnight snarked. Dean scowled under his helmet and chose to ignore his friend for the time being.

"Alright, Zebra, I am not here to harm you, or this Gryphon. Myself and my squad are just passing through on our way North." Dean watched as the Zebra's face became confused, then irritated. Her attention swiveled to Midnight, completely ignoring Dean and his captive.

"What business does a pony have with an Elf? Surely you wouldn't betray your kind, for the benefit of yourself?" Dean sighed as Midnight answered.

"Well, that's because my friend, Sergeant Forrester," he pointed to Dean with a free hoof, "is not an Elf." The Zebra's face fell into a mask of confusion once more before she turned back to Dean.

"I do not believe that. Unless you can prove he is not one of those horrible rats, then I will not trust you enough for further chat."

"Wait, Zecora! Y-you aren't going to leave me r-right? If he is an Elf, then y-you'll rescue me, right?!" The Gryphon suddenly found a blade very close to her throat, cutting off any words she was going to follow up with.

"You stay silent, that way, nobody gets hurt." Dean growled. They were running behind schedule as it was, and these two idiots had gotten in their way for long enough. After a moment of hesitation, and a whole lot of contemplation, Dean decided to take another risk.

Removing the knife from the Gryphons throat, he gently pushed her towards Zecora the zebra. Gilda gave a squak of surprise, but quickly bounded behind her friend. She shook like a leaf as she eyed Deans knife with terror. Zecora looked from Dean, to the knife, and then back, before merely raising an eyebrow. Without saying a word, Dean slide the knife back into its sheath on his chest, and slowly reached towards his helmet.

"Uh, Dean? Are you sure that's a good idea?" Dean paused at Midnights question.

"Yes, if it means gaining their trust." he then proceeded to lift the helmet from his head, revealing to the two strangers before him what he really looked like. After ten full seconds of awkward silence, Zecora finally spoke up.

"It seems what the pony says is true, you are not an Elf, though your true nature among my people is taboo. In ancient texts, has there been such a specimen, and if I didn't know any better, I would think I am looking at a Human." Zecora slowly plodded forward, Gilda in close pursuit. She stopped an arms length away from Dean, and raised her head to gaze into his eyes. Dean stared back, unflinching, as she analyzed every detail about his face.

"Trust you yet, I do not. But not five minutes ago, things were getting hot. I propose an alliance with one another. That way, we may get to know each other further." Zecora stuck her hoof out towards Dean. The Human looked at the appendage for a second before slowly reaching his arm out as well. Both Midnight and Gilda held their breath as Dean's hand slowly grasped Zecora's appendage and shook once. Their collective breath was released as they both lowered their appendages.

"We were going to set up camp soon anyways, why don't you both come join us?"

Zecora regarded Dean, then Midnight, before turning back to Gilda.

"What is your opinion my friend, I believe this conflict is at an end."

Gilda eyed Dean with uncertainty. She was loyal to her zebra friend, but she didn't trust this supposed Human. He was dangerous, that much she could tell. Being a predator, she knew when a threat was standing in front of her, and she had a feeling that this Sergeant was a bigger threat than anything she had come across. She looked back towards Zecora, and her loyalty temporarily won out. Without saying a word, she slowly walked past Dean and picked up her swords.

"I believe that answers the question! The others are setting up the camp right now, so we'd best hurry." Midnight cast one last glance at Dean before trotting ahead of the group. Dean waited for Zecora to go past him, but when she did, another feeling came over him. The hair on his neck stood on end, and his muscles tensed in anticipation.

After several long seconds, Dean heard Midnight call for him. The Human looked around one last time before slowly turning and jogging after his new acquaintances. Something definitely wasn't sitting right. He just didn't know what.

*****

Emperor Dommik's fingers drummed across the armrest of his throne. Their beats created a rhythm that described his current condition: annoyance.

Dommik was annoyed, and for good reason. Not only did the bug have the audacity to ask him a favour, but she had even withheld vital information! He knew that she was doing it on purpose, to grate on his nerves to the umpth degree. Because of her, the location of the Resistance still remained a mystery. If that bug didn't deliver on her promise...

Dommik huffed and leaned back, all this drama left him in need a distraction.

A whimper rose from in front of him, and Dommik's eyes snapped towards the perpetrator.

A yellow Pegasus with a pink mane hung limply in his magical grasp some five feet in the air. Her body was beaten, her fur was falling out, and her eyes were sunken. Dommik suddenly squeezed his other hand into a fist, causing the little Pegasus to shriek in pain. One of her legs snapped into an awkward angle, only increasing the noise. It was music to his ears.

"M-Master... please...." her voice caused him to frown. It reminded him of what he was trying to accomplish here on this measly planet. One he was through with his grand scheme, there would be no more suffering, no more pleas for help. Hell, there would be nothing wrong at all! He just needed until the next blood moon, the one that happened every seven hundred years. If he could complete the ritual by then...

"M-M-master!!"

Dommik slowly unballed his fist, allowing the little Pegasus some relief. His focus was to distracted at the moment for him to toy with her. He needed something else to do.

A sickly sweet smell suddenly invaded Dommik's senses, causing him to frown.

"What news do you bring?" Dommik dropped the pegasus to the ground unceremoniously, causing her to cry out in pain. He watched as a tendril of some kind snaked past his throne, down the steps and around the Pegasi' stomach. As she was lifted up, Dommik just barely caught sight of the tentacle making its way into the little ponies mouth, and down her throat. An odd slurping noise sounded, but Dommik ignored it; he knew IT wouldn't kill one of his assets.

"It is getting harder to enter into the Human's dreams, Emperor. The Guardian's influence is strong, stronger than meeee..." More slurping continued, and a drop of liquid landed on Dommiks shoulder. ever so slowly, he reached up and swiped the substance away.

"If that is the case, then I will give you a temporary... power. Use it wisely." Dommik closed his eyes and focused. An image of the orb flashed through his vision, and he called upon its power. He felt a surge of energy, more than he usually gathered, and quickly raised his hand. He couldn't see it at the moment, but a ball of perverted green was now floating inches above his palm. He sensed more than felt as IT reached forward and snared the ball of magic before ingesting it. Dommik slowly opened his eyes and straightened his robe.

"Very well, you may carry on. Do what it takes to break the Human. Whether I like to admit it or not, he is a threat that must be dealt with." Dommik watched as the little yellow Pegasus was brought back in front of him. black tendrils snaked through her body and up her neck. Her eyes were rolled back, and her belly seemed to be pulsing. He continued to watch as the tendrils slowly retracted, snaking their way out of her body before coming free with a suck-plop!

Dommik looked down at the Pegasus, who was barely breathing as it was. Dommik judged she would live, and waved a hand dismissively into the air.

"You are free to go. Fail me, and there will be consequences."

He stood up and walked past the unconscious pony; the guards would bring her back to her cell. Instead, Dommik made his way back through the doors to the garden. His footsteps carried him to a particular statue, one that he often ignored. It wasn't until a few days ago that he had learned the true origin of this statue, as the Destroyer had not bothered to inform him.

The Guardian, the Archangel... the bain of her and his existence. He stood tall upon that pedestal, his trench coat billowing in non-existant wind. A strange hat was placed atop his head, casting his face in what seemed to be shadow. One arm was outstretched, while the other was behind his back.

Dommik suddenly lurched forward and yelled viscously. Pure, black magic blasted from his hands and directly into the statue. The cocaughany of sounds that followed sounded like metal scraping on stone, and after a solid thirty seconds, he finally stopped.

Panting, Dommik scowled at the still intact statue before him. He wasn't strong enough yet, but when the blood moon came, and the Princess was in his clutches, then, and only then, would he be able to rid the multiverse of this pesky Guardian.

Dommik snorted and stood back up.

"Your time is running out. I know you can hear me in there, so know this: Whatever plan you have in place, whatever it is you are doing with this Human... it will fail. Your precious multiverse will be destroyed, and I will be the one leading the carnage. Your reckoning is at hand." Dommik turned and stocked back towards the castle, not once looking back. But as he left, he failed to notice a measly little crack appear within the stone.

The Guardian had indeed been listening, and all he could do was pray that Dean hurried. Time was certainly running out, and if the Destroyer got loose, then nothing would stand in her way. The Human needed to free him, lest the whole multiverse be left in darkness.

2