Chapter 35 – Trading pointers
281 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The delegation from the Liquid Sword sect chose to stay for one additional day at the sect and Aki got to work showing them his work. First, he arranged for a relaxing sauna and hot spring session – Aki hoped that it would alleviate some of the exhaustion that Keen Blade had been feeling. He followed this by arranging a feast of spirit cuisine.

Throughout the activities, Aki found his eyes wandering. Wandering to a certain tax lady. To her shapely legs to be precise. He would every now and then catch himself, and promptly drag his eyes away. It was quite frankly rather concerning for him – he had not been affected like this for quite a while.

What’s going on with me? I don’t think I was looking at her like this before... Like, sure, she we had a fun time sharing some drinks, but am I really down this bad? She’s the damn tax lady! I have to control myself.

Still, as he ate his meal he eventually felt his eye wandering, it was really quite vexing. He had to sigh. I haven’t really considered romance for myself at all, to be honest. I am an elder, and that’s sure to bring some troublesome implications to everything. I don’t really get along with the other elders, and sure, the disciples are actually much older than me- but I’m in a position of authority here. I can’t be doing stuff like that.

Still... He felt his eye wandering to the woman, who was looking a lot more energetic this morning. Would someone from an outside sect be my best option? But then there would be troublesome political things and everything... Gah, why did I have to end up in such a bothersome world!

The day went on, and the activities were gone through. Eventually, however, it was time for the most traditional of all events. Whenever a delegation of cultivators arrives in a sect, there are certain things that are bound to happen.

Aki was with his disciples, guiding the group of visitors through the sect. They passed a certain place, the duelling grounds. Keen Blade turned to Aki.

“Say, it has been a long day, and we have not really let the younger generation release their energy at all have we? How about we let them trade some pointers?”

Yes, “Trading Pointers”, that most traditional of activities. It had always been a favourite activity among elders to show off their skilled disciples, it was a certain measure of status. Aki hummed thoughtfully.

“Certainly, I do not oppose the idea. What do you propose?”

A glint passed in the woman’s eye, and she turned to her entourage.

“Disciple Roaring Dragon of The Great River, you were making some remarks yesterday – do you want this opportunity?”

A firm man with silvery hair strode forward from the group and bowed before her. “It would be my honour master.” He turned a dismissive sneer to Aki’s group, and Aki almost flinched from the stare. The man had a dangerous aura, only in the middle of the second realm, but it felt like a boiling hot spring.

Aki however was not too afraid of the aura, he was focused on a different thing. What the hell kind of name is that supposed to be?

He turned to examine his disciples. A challenge has been given, so I have to answer. This feels like a test, Keen Blade wants to see what my disciples are capable of. I wonder who should I choose?

He was rather uncertain as he went through the group – the only one he had seen in actual combat was Winter Gale, and her cultivation base was too strong for this duel. He was however released from his struggle as a volunteer stepped forward.

“Master, may I?” Spring Melt asked. She was eyeing the challenger, a calculating look in her eyes.

Aki was a bit surprised – she was not the one he had expected. Aki had not really talked much with the woman after setting her on the quest for [Infinite Tea], so he was rather curious about what the woman had been up to. She had a confidence to her posture which seemed to hint of a deeper plan – she was not doing this haphazardly.

Aki nodded at her. “You may, disciple. I look forward to a good performance. Prepare the duelling grounds!”

This time the duel was to be held in a forest meadow that was split apart by a stream. Setting things up did not take long, and soon the two combatants were standing in opposing corners, eyeing each other coldly.

The observers were arrayed a good distance away behind some protective formations. Aki stood with his other disciples next to Keen Blade, who was examining Spring Melt curiously.

“This disciple of yours has an... interesting aura. I look forward to seeing how she figths.”

Aki sighed internally. Me too. Well, no reason to delay this. He gathered his voice and shouted out. “Let the duel commence!”

The young man with the very long name drew a hilt from his sheathe, no blade to it. He activated a some weave tied to the hilt, and a roiling mass of boiling water burst out of it. He shifted the watery blade to a guard position in front of himself.

“None have stood before my [Boiling Rage of the Grand Furious Water Dragon] without trembling, prepare yourself!”

Spring Melt maintained a confident smile on her face, and answered with a weave of her own. A complex bundle of green Qi formed in front of her.

“We shall see about that, don’t underestimate my [Seed of Infinite Tea]!”

Aki stared blankly at the jumble of Qi and noticed that it smelled of pleasant herbs. Wait, has she actually made some technique out of that, what is that going to do? He started to get nervous.

“A most curious technique, I have not seen it’s like before.” Keen Blade pondered next to him.

“You think to challenge my blade with mere tea? I will cut down your mockery!” The challenger shouted as he cut down with his blade, and sent the boiling mass of water hurling at Spring Melt.

She scoffed and sent her own technique forward. “[Infinite Tea Technique: First Cup]!”

The two techniques collided, resulting in an explosion of steam. All the observers waited for the haze to clear. The steam lifted, and what was revealed was a mass of... tea.

The duelling man’s eyes were wide. “I-impossible, you took control of my technique, and converted it into... that!” His face twisted into a rage. “What impertincence, this will not stand!” He began gathering Qi for another technique. “You think I can only do that once? [Boiling Rage of the Grand Furious Water Dragon]!”

Another roiling mass of boiling water was formed and sent forward. Spring Melt sniffed, then sent her [Seed of Infinite Tea] forward. “[Infinite Tea Technique: Second Cup]!”

The results were the same, and an even bigger pool of tea was left behind. Aki heard the woman next to him groaning. “That fool... Using the same technique and expecting different results.”

Spring Melt had a smug smile on her face. “You are truly a fool to challenge my tea with boiling water.”

This time Aki groaned. My disciple... Why would you say something like that to the enemy, gloating always results in a loss!

A lightbulb seemed to flash in the long-named man’s head, and his eyes grew confident again. “I see, that’s simple, then I only have to change my technique! [Freezing Rage of the Grand Furious Water Dragon]!”

Wait, he only changed the first word in the technique? A mass of water formed from his hilt again – this time with an aura of cold. The man smiled confidently.

“Let’s see you deal with this! Haa!” he shouted out as he slashed out with the watery blade.

Spring Melt however remained confident. “Hmph, you truly do not learn. [Infinite Tea Technique: Third Cup]!”

The [Seed of Infinite Tea] was once again sent to answer the strike, and once again a storm of Qi clashed. What was left behind was... more tea.

Passionate Seeker gasped behind Aki. “Amazing! The third cup of tea is just as strong as the first one, and her belief is so strong that the cold water did not weaken the technique one bit!”

What kind of running commentary is this? Besides, isn’t that just like... Iced tea?

The challenger from the Liquid Sword Sect had a look of despair on his face as Spring Melt gloated at him.

“Excellent, this has been valuable experience, but it is time to end this.” She drew out another weave which connected to all the tea out on the field. “[Infinite Tea Technique: Tea Overdose!]”

All the tea on the field rose up, boiling and freezing alike, and began to accelerate at the other duellist. In a panic, he tried to dodge away but there was just too much tea – he was covered in it in a flash.

The man struggled desperately inside the liquid, but he could not escape from the technique – the fight was over.

Aki looked at Keen Blade, and she nodded at him. He rose up, and raised his voice.

“The duel is decided! Victory goes to Spring Melt of the Thousand Lakes Sect!”

She bowed to him, then released the technique, and the struggling man was dropped onto the grassy forest floor amidst a pool of tea. Aki winced a bit at the display. Such a wasteful technique, look at all that perfectly good tea!

“Your disciple is very skilled, you must be a good master. That is a formidable technique you are teaching her.” Keen Blade said approvingly.

Aki felt happy at the compliment, but a bit guilty too. How could I have known that such a technique would result from my explanations...

“Indeed indeed.” He coughed. “Let us move on.”

 

The day went on, and before Aki knew it, it was drawing to a close. Soon he was standing at the gates to the sect, saying his goodbyes to the procession.

“I hope you enjoyed your brief stay here, and am glad that our misunderstandings have been resolved.” He took a few bottles of spirit wine from Summer Warden. “Here, a small token of gratitude. I hope you can enjoy it and ease your burdens a bit.”

The woman smiled as she accepted the bottles and gave Aki a bow. “You have been a most gracious host, and I am honoured to receive your gift.” She handed the bottles to a disciple behind her, then turned back to Aki. “There is however one last matter of business.”

Aki felt a bit of alarm, had he slipped up somewhere? “Have there been any complications?” He asked carefully.

“Oh no, nothing of the sort.” She answered. “It is more of a great opportunity, especially-” She gave Aki a meaningful look. “-for you.”

Now Aki felt curious. The woman went on.

“We have detected that in a month, a hidden realm that opens once every 500 years will be opening again. It is a land of great fortune for cultivators trying to form their Qi strings, and all of our vassal sects have been invited to send disciples in. All sects and clans may send 20 of their disciples in, but only those who have under three Qi strings formed are allowed.”

Aki felt his heart pound with excitement. Could this be an opportunity to make great progress with his cultivation?

“I thank you for this opportunity, our sect will not waste the honour.” He said and bowed.

“Good, I expect a good performance from your sect.” She answered, then turned to fly away.

Aki watched her glide away, most pointedly not looking at how that shapely rear was revealed as her robe swayed in the wind. No, his gaze was on the future.

I have to get myself into that hidden realm!

 

So this is the power of infinite tea...

13