Chapter 68: Damsel in Distress
1.2k 3 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi everyone!

I wanted to pop in really quick to say I'm super happy to see a lot of new readers, and that we're at #1 trending today! Thank you all for reading and generally just being awesome!

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy about leaving a rating, review or comment!

“Why did you offer to help her?” Seyari asked me.

“’Cause she’s a super great person and I’m a damsel in distress!” Taava answered cheerily. She didn’t skip a note of her playing.

“I wasn’t asking you!” Seyari snapped.

In response, Taava started to hum loudly along to the tune.

The four of us had stopped for the night, just outside the marsh in a sparse forest. All of us were seated on the ground around a fire and our newest ‘member’ had offered, rather insistently, to play for us. I had to admit she wasn’t bad. Still, I didn’t buy for a moment that she was only a traveling bard.

I watched Taava’s nimble fingers dance over the strings, then glanced at Seyari. “I’m not sure,” I replied honestly.

“You don’t have some moralistic reason?” Seyari asked with a hint of venom. “You just want to trust her? Go out of our way to help someone who’s clearly lying?”

“We’re both headed to Lockmoth, though! That’s not outta the way at all,” Taava smiled.

Seyari threw a rock at the bard’s head, but the nimble kazzel ducked under it.

“Both of you should settle down,” Salvador said. The ranger had been quietly warming our rations over the fire.

“Yeah!” Taava said, still continuing her song.

“Both of you,” Salvador continued sternly. “You really should tell us more about these people you want us to kill, Taava. This isn’t the type of job I take.”

“But is it the type of job those two take?” Taava pointed her tail at Seyari and me and grinned. “Seyari seems especially murderous.”

I felt Seyari’s anger rise, then deflate as she took a big breath in and out.

“Do I take jobs to kill people?” I mused at Taava. “Depends entirely on who we’re going after. You could say I’m well adapted to excessive violence. Even if it isn’t my first choice.”

“Or your second, miss nice giant!” Taava finished her piece with a flourish. “I’m glad we’re friends now!”

I expected Seyari to disagree. Instead, the half-angel simply glared at the impetuous kazzel. The latter deflated when she didn’t get the reaction she wanted.

I uncrossed my legs and stretched. “Let’s go back to before you changed the subject, Taava. Could you tell us any more about who’s after you and why?”

“Nope!” Taava put her instrument carefully back into its case and sat back on her elbows.

“Could you elaborate?” I asked.

“Nah! If you’re not up to it, that’s fine. I’ve got a few bardic tricks that might come in handy.” The ‘bard’ closed her eyes and yawned, showing off pointed canines. “But I’ll probably die. You wouldn’t want that, would ya?” She opened a slitted eye at me.

This is going nowhere fast. What could make her talk?

I had an idea. I waved a hand dismissively. “I can’t say I’d care all that much about a complete stranger. Sure, it’s one thing if I can see someone being attacked unprovoked. But an argument? That isn’t my business.”

“But we’re not strangers, Zarenna!” Taava smiled. “We’re friends!”

“Not if I don’t know anything about you, we aren’t,” I countered. “Besides, you tried to use me as a hostage! Or maybe even worse!”

“But you’re helpin’ me!” Taava protested. “And friends help friends! Or do you wanna go back on your word, Zarenna?”

I shook my head. “I never gave you my word, Taava. You just made an assumption when I said I might be willing to help you.”

Taava’s face broke into a pout. I could see tears forming at the corners of her cat-like eyes. She was good at this.

Honestly, with how good she was at manipulation, I felt less and less like helping her.

“I’ll tell you what, Taava!” I put on my best conciliatory voice. “Why don’t I tell you something about myself, and you tell me something about yourself. That way we’ll know each other and could be friends. And friends help friends.”

I carefully said ‘could’ instead of ‘would’ for our pending friendship. Not like I had to honor such an agreement anyway, but a part of me felt satisfaction at the escape I’d left myself.

Taava put a finger to her chin. “Hmmm. What happens if ya don’t like the secret?”

“Depends.” I shrugged.

“Depends on what?”

“Depends on who’s going after you and why. That could be the secret, if you want.”

Taava kept her eyes locked onto mine. “Sure, I guess. But that’s a pretty big secret.”

“I have a bigger one.”

The kazzel looked me up and down. “I’d bet! But I don’t have one, so, well, that’s not real impressive.”

I snapped my fingers. “I’m not talking about dicks, Taava. Keep on subject.”

Taava sighed and cradled her chin in her hands with exaggerated motion. “Jeez, you’re no fun!”

Seyari stirred and looked up at me. “Zarenna?”

I looked down at her and smiled warmly. “Yeah, I know what I’m doing.” I glanced over at Salvador.

Salvador nodded back and took the pot of rations off the fire to cool a bit before portioning.

Seyari sighed. “If you say so, Renna.”

I turned my attention back to the ‘bard’ who was waiting with an excited, almost manic look in her eyes.

“So, what’s this ‘big’ secret of yours, big lady?” Taava asked cheekily.

I decided to drop all drama and pretense. Partly because it was faster, but also because I wanted to fluster Taava as much as she’d been flustering the rest of us. I spoke the truth.

“I’m a demon.”

Taava and I stared at each other, unblinking. Tension started to rise. I felt no anger from the ‘bard’.

Soon, I realized why.

Taava burst out laughing into the silence.

I said nothing, leaned back, and crossed my arms, waiting.

The kazzel ‘bard’’s laughter faded and she wiped her eyes. Seeing my expression, Taava tilted her head at me and flicked an ear. “You can’t be—wait! I get it! You mean, like, on the battlefield or somethin’, yeah? You know, I really could use a big bruiser. You loud types make great distractions.”

“No, I mean an I’m actual demon. Fire and horns and claws and all that.” I stared at her.

Taava stared back at me, squinting. “Huh, it almost seems like ya really believe that. What, did your grandma lay a demon-blooded and ya got a third nipple hidden under there somewhere? I guess you’re pretty tall. Don’t look like you’ve got horns. Oh, is it an illusion? ‘Cause it felt pretty real and I don’t know if that’s—”

I reverted my transformation.

“a—thing…” Taava’s eyes went wide and she froze. She muttered something in a language I didn’t recognize.

“An actual demon,” I repeated with a smile, showing twin rows of sharp teeth. “Really though—” I snapped my fingers and conjured a ball of white-hot fire. “—I’m not that bad. Honest. But I need to know a bit more about the people after you before I decide I want to go killing a bunch of mortals.”

Taava shivered under my gaze. Her eyes, for the first time I’d met her, seemed frantic. Cat-like green orbs darted over my form and the fire I’d conjured, fear present inside for any to see. She seemed torn between trying to stay or running.

In the end, she chose to stay.

“Oh, screw me!” Taava huffed, looking between my relaxed, smiling form and Seyari and Salvador who had dished portions already. Saldavor’s food was untouched, but Seyari was calmly eating.

“You knew,” Taava accused, her posture still rigid and tight. “You knew she was a demon! Both of ya! Are ya under her thrall?”

Seyari set her spoon down calmly. “No. Zarenna’s a wrath demon, anyway, so she wouldn’t generally have that sort of power.”

Taava’s tail twitched, and her ears lay flat against her head. “But she might.”

“I can’t prove to you that I don’t,” I answered honestly.

“So, I’m just completely screwed?” For some reason Taava started to relax. “Hah.”

I dismissed my flame. “If I wanted to kill you, I already would’ve. I’m showing you that I’m a demon for another reason. Unless you’re as dumb as you’re playing at being, you know what that reason is.”

Taava sat back up, crossed her legs, and studied me again. She didn’t speak.

To our side, Salvador finally started to eat his rations. Seyari passed me a bowl. I knew it was meant for me, but I stood up slowly and walked it over to Taava. She flinched when I sat down next to her.

I offered her the bowl. The ‘bard’ stared into it, tail twitching and ears flat. I watched the steam waft up into wisps, visible easily against the cold evening air.

I spoke softly, looking at her looking into her food. “You’re not going to find any answers in there. I never have.”

Taava took the bowl from me, careful not to touch my hands or my claws. “I was formerly an assassin with the Black Claw in Raavia.” Her tone was different. Colder. Like when she had bowed and thanked me earlier in the day.

Raavia? I’m not sure where that is. I can’t just ask Taava that right now—I’ll have to find out later.

“And you’re not anymore?”

“Black Claws serve until death.”

“And you’re not dead.”

“They want to fix that. I thought I had escaped their notice until recently. Now, I’m certain they’ve found me again.”

“Is any of your story true?”

“Most of it. I’m in debt, and I think they’ve found the people I owe money to.”

“And they’ll work together?”

Taava shook her head. “No. The Black Claw will do anything to find me, and then they’ll remove any evidence I was ever alive. That’s it.” She looked up at me, eyes hard and dry. “There. Are you happy?”

“I am. Thanks.” I looked to Seyari.

My partner’s brow was creased. “I think you know, but she wasn’t lying. For once.”

“What kind of assassins are the Black Claw?” I asked.

Taava hissed a curt laugh. “What type!? What type do ya think? They’re assassins. Pay them enough and they’ll kill anyone.” Her voice had returned to its usual chipper tone. She started to dig into the rations. “This ain’t bad!”

I looked down at the dirt between my feet. I’d poked holes in my boots with my toe claws. After a few moments I looked up

The former Black Claw assassin smiled cruelly, licking a spoon. She’d gained confidence from somewhere. “What? Did ya think they had some kinda code? Some demon you are! People are shit, Zarenna. You’re gonna learn that someday.”

I shook my head. “Not everyone.”

“Aww, you’re not gonna say I’m not shit?” Taava mock pouted.

“I’m not sure yet.” I smiled coldly.

Taava shivered. “Point taken. So, uh, will ya help me?”

“Maybe.” I replied. “I’ll need to think about it.”

Taava’s tail twitched and she grabbed at the tip nervously. “If you’re thinking of tryin’ to talk ta them, forget it. It’s not that you won’t get anywhere, it’s that—no, wait, that’s exactly it. Seriously, there’ll be more death if ya hesitate.”

My mind flashed back to Ruston. Shit. “I’ll help,” I started. “I can’t speak for Sey and Salvador, but I’ll at least help you. But I want all the information you can give me so we can find about who these people are.”

Taava nodded, then set her half-empty bowl down carefully. She spoke rapidly, rattling off things on her fingers as she went. “Few of them are casters. The ones who are specialize in targeted strikes and aura concealment. One member per squad’ll have an aura-suppressed enchanted weapon. Oh, and a squad’s five by the way. Usually one mage. Different from the one with the enchanted weapon. The others will all carry poisoned weapons, and usually one of ‘em has a heavier ranged weapon while the others stick to melee.

“They prefer to take targets unaware and have a variety of items and tools that can incapacitate and disorient. All are masters of disguise and can take many unassumin’ roles. All members’ll be Kazzel, no members’ll speak, and all members have a way to kill themselves if caught.” The former assassin took a breath, then closed her hands, halfway through counting her digits a second time. “I think that’s about it.”

Seyari coughed. “I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting that.”

Taava’s canines poked through her smile and she turned her head to Seyari while keeping her eyes on me. “Well, I’m already totally screwed, and I can see the way you and mister professional are starin’ at me like I’m some kinda murderer. I’m a former murderer, I’ll have ya know. I want all of ya helpin’ me.” The former assassin never took her eyes off me.

“Why did you leave?” I wondered aloud.

“Not sayin’.” Taava continued on without pausing, “Anyway, whaddya want for helping me? Ya gonna do it outta the kindness of your big demon-ey heart?”

“Yes, actually.” I replied with a sigh. “And would it kill you to tone it down a bit?”

“Prob’ly!” Taava kept smiling, but blissfully stopped speaking in rapid-fire bursts. She didn’t elaborate. Instead, she picked up her food and resumed eating, acting as if she hadn’t a care in the world.

I stretched all four of my arms and un-kinked my tail. “So, Sey. What do you think?”

“I think she’s a murderer and you’re crazy to help her.” Seyari handed me a bowl since I’d given mine to Taava.

“That’s a bad habit of mine, isn’t it?”

Seyari winced. “Point taken. We’ll help her, but only if she’s spoken the truth.”

I scratched at a horn. “Couldn’t you tell?”

Seyari gave a thin smile in return. “Eat your dinner, Renna. There’s a second portion for you in the pot that’s getting cold.”

“Oh! Can I have it if Renna doesn’t want it?” Taava shouted, waving an empty bowl about.

I took a bland bite and raised an eyebrow at the slim kazzel woman.

Taava shrugged. “What? Bein’ a bard doesn’t pay well.”

“We’ll split it,” I offered.

“Deal!”

Zarenna wasn't kidding about being a demon.

If you want to read more, my Patreon has up to 19 advance chapters right now! There are also side stories (canon & non-canon), some of which will stay Patreon exclusive.

If you want to chat about the story or just hang out, my discord is open to all!

79