Chapter 21 – Arnold Grim (2)
38 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21 – Arnold Grim (2)

It rained nonstop. Compared to other places in the world, this place always had a frightening flood when it rains.

The harshest place on earth. And where the icy hearts were born.

Arnold stared blankly at the cheque handed to him by a strange man in a black suit.

“You have a great father.” The man grinned. “He won one hundred matches. Too bad, he’s too old and died from injuries later. Anyway, a deal is a deal. As gentlemen, we are proud to follow our promises.”

“Young one, have a good life. Hahaha.” He left, not even minding Arnold’s feelings.

Arnold dug through the soil where his father lay.

“Why?!” A rumble of thunder boomed in the sky. He suddenly remembered the days when he climbed on his father’s aching back. The latter didn’t even wince from the pain.

“WHY?!!” His roar reached the heavens. With bloodshot eyes, all he saw was red. As red as the blood coming out of his father’s mouth. Yet, he hid it so Arnold won’t notice. The boy noticed but disregarded it.

Pitter patter. No matter how cold the rainwater was, it couldn’t freeze the already dead heart. His heart was dead. He showed no compassion for his ever-loving father.

The despair engulfed him.

How he couldn’t appreciate the efforts his father did for him? Why he didn’t see the love he gave? To what lengths had his father had to sacrifice before he could feel it? Why he didn’t wake up when his father was still alive?

“Please, let it be a dream…”

His nails dug through his chest. He just wanted to rip his heart, the bastard heart that didn’t show shame and affection! He was shameless!

The hands that reached him beside the hospital bed… had little warmth… But it was those feelings that made Arnold realize.

His father’s love knew no bounds.

“Do you know your father?” The rain stopped. Or the rain couldn’t reach him anymore.

Arnold looked up and saw an umbrella. An old lady held it with trembling arms. But Arnold saw no discomfort on her face.

Behind her, he could see a line of people wearing black.

“Your family is a line of warriors.” The old Arnold would scoff at her words. But now, he was listening blankly.

The old lady continued. “They protected this land from the invasion. Unselfish and unwavering. There’s no hope for us, but they didn’t surrender.”

‘Poor in money, but not in spirit. The wind is cold but our heart remains hot’. My father always said these words to me even though I don’t understand. It was your ancestors’ words. Only when I saw the warriors’ back that I understood. I was too young back then. But I could still hear their war cry as they plunge themselves head first. Their bravery and sacrifice moved me.”

“We are proud of them!”

“The Grim Family who defended and sheltered the north!”

“Nonetheless, time is vicious. Your family fell from grace and they couldn’t help this land anymore. Until only your father remains. He was too inexperienced to carry the burden of your family’s oath. Yet he didn’t give up! He shone brighter than anyone. I’ve never seen such determination and willpower from a young man.”

“Not until he got you.”

“He became a father.”

“Days were difficult, and it became worse when his beloved wife died in his arms. That day, he vowed to take care of you until death. Working hard day by day, not flinching, not complaining, and not giving up on you.”

“But you keep failing him every day.”

“He lied to us, but we knew. Love made him turn his back on the oath he swore.”

“He suffered in silence, but we knew. Loving you gave him the greatest energy.”

“He fought for money, but we knew. It was the love that pushes him to come back as a warrior.”

“The determination he had back then to revitalize the family couldn’t compare to the determination he had when he’s a father. He fought for you. Not as a warrior. But a father who was ready to give up everything for his son.”

Arnold’s mind became a mess. But hot blood pumped into his dead chest. A swelling emotion emerged from him.

He stood up. Numbed by the cold. But he gritted his teeth. He felt heavy, but the step he made was steady.

The chilly winds and harsh earth baptized him. Arnold swore to become a new man.

“…”

Sunshine peered through the gaps of clouds. Arnold stared at the struggling thug with a steely gaze. He showed no feelings. These people were parasites who lived off of the poor. But he was different now. His eyes were as clear as the sky and wore a boundless heart. He allowed the man to go.

“Get lost. If I see your face again, I’ll kill you!” Releasing his killing intent, the thug escaped with his tails between his legs. He left a bag.

“Boss, what about the money?” A subordinate inspected it and asked Arnold.

“Give them to the village, orphanage, or charity. I don’t care.” Everyone around him seemed like a mix-up of thugs, convicts… all sorts of bad-looking people. Yet, they chuckled without the least bit of unwillingness when they heard Arnold giving the money away.

 “Boss was really generous.”

“That’s why I admired him. We all admire him.” All of them strutted towards a lonely building.

“Uncle, you are here again.” A bed-ridden girl stated with a radiant smile. Arnold smiled back and gave her a balloon and flowers.

 “How’s your day?”

“Better. The nurse said I recover quickly.”

“Good. Good!” A hearty smile blossomed on his face. “You can eat a lot now. You almost resembled a skeleton. I’ll talk to the old lady to give you a proper meal instead of porridge.”

“Pfft.” The girl saw the ‘old’ lady’s face becoming ugly behind him.

“She’s behind you.” “Wapak!” “Ouch!”

The noisy sound of a woman shouting, a man asking for mercy, and a girl's laughter combined into a wholesome scenery.

After the debacle, Arnold and the nurse, who was called an old lady, went outside. They talked about their daily lives to waste time. But both of them enjoyed these rare occasions. The peace they both shared.

“Don’t worry about her.” The nurse patted Arnold on the back.

“I leave her to your care.” He grinned. He thought of something, but he hesitated to continue. But looking at her expectant eyes, he gritted his teeth.

“And you shouldn’t wait for me. You are not young anymore.”

The nurse’s face turned downcast. “I will still do it.”

Arnold took a deep breath. He didn’t want to entangle himself with love because he knew first-hand how heavy it was. She was special while he was a sinner.

“Anyway.”

“I’ll come back and bring you gifts. Same as the last time, fried squid and ripe mangoes.”

The two adults grinned before saying goodbye to each other.

“…”

Gruum. His eyes reflected the raging inferno before him. He was away for only a month, but he already yearned to see them.

Yet, this cruel sight greeted him.

The hospital—the sanctuary of the kids and people he cared for was now being enveloped by thick smoke and terrifying flames. The worst news was he didn’t even see any shadow of a person leaving the site!

“NO!!! PLEASE NO!!!” Arnold’s subordinate hugged him tightly. A couple of them weren’t enough, as the former was too strong. Only when hundreds of them blocked his way, did they manage to prevent him.

“YOU BEASTS! UNGRATEFUL BEASTS!”

“Who helps you when you are in trouble? It was those nurses and doctors! Who reached out to you from the dark? It was those kids’ tiny hands!”

“SO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? UNHAND ME!” Arnold roared until he couldn’t feel his throat. He felt angry that his trusted comrades were the first to abandon them.

“No, Boss. You are wrong.” All of a sudden, Arnold felt the trembles of their arms. He looked up and saw their tears streaming out. The very people who wouldn’t hesitate to place a knife on their neck. In the metropolitan, everyone considered them as scary fiends who did shady things. But now, they looked helpless as a lamb.

His heart clenched. Yes, they were the first people to feel lost, sadness, and despair!

They had long considered those doctors, nurses, and kids as their family. And now, they were gone…

“The fire… was too huge. And considering how much had passed and no police or firefighter was coming, it was probably hopeless already.”

“Please, Boss. We don’t want you to leave us, too.” Arnold’s face contorted until it squeezed tears from his eyes.

The men, with glistening muscles and petrifying appearances, huddled together. They shared tears of despair while watching the place they called home collapsing.

Only when another hour passed by that police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks finally arrived.

“Sorry, Anya…”

“Sorry, Tony…”

Arnold clutched his freezing heart.

“We are too late.”

1