Chapter 22 – Arnold Grim (3)
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 22 – Arnold Grim (3)

“Why are you looking at your boss’ picture again?” A man stared at the woman, who wrapped her arms around him.

“No matter how much I look at him, he still frightens me.” She quipped.

Chuckling, the man answered her. “It was only a façade.”

“In truth, he’s mimicking his dad. From goatee, stature, and his clothes. He wanted to look kind, just like his father. He’s saintly, based on the Boss’s recollection and the villager’s mouth.”

“But our experiences tell us that pure kindness wasn’t enough. It wasn’t virtuous. Kind people always suffer because they couldn’t protect their loved ones.”

“Boss just didn’t want to lose anyone anymore. He has to be fierce. Only when he has a kind heart and was still able to fight for that kindness, then he can become virtuous.”

The woman stroked her man’s face. “You really miss him. And your tropapips. They are good guys.”

The man put on a wry smile. “Yes. Of course. But it was our rule that one should leave when they are planning to have a family. Boss doesn’t want a child to experience losing his or her parents.”

Saying that, the man touched the woman’s belly. Inside it was his son.

“I hope they are doing well.”

Sad people always sat on a swing. Especially during the night. Was it psychological? But that was not the real question.

Why was she sitting there?

A girl in a ponytail sat at the swing in a daze. From her clothes, she seemed from a wealthy family. Normally, a family member or guard would be beside her. But she ran away from home.

Her name was Xiao. It didn’t register in her innocent mind that being alone in the park was a bad idea. All she knew the park was the happiest place on earth.

It wasn’t.

“What are you doing here?” A voice sounded at her back.

Xiao woke up from her thoughts but didn’t bother to look back. “Nothing.”

“Do you know how dangerous this place is at night?”

“I don’t care.” “Ow!”

“Why did you hit me?!” Finally, Xiao could see the man. She glared at him. No one dared to hit her at home. But to think a random thug would?!

“A child needs to be hit so she can learn.” Arnold grinned, but all he got from her was a sneer.

“Mind your own business, Old Man.”

“Okay.” But Arnold glued his ass to the other swing.

The girl felt angrier. “Why are you still here?”

“Why? You own this place?”

“Yes!”

This made Arnold speechless. “You are just a child. How can you own this swing, huh?”

“My father owns this park!” She felt down once again and became silent.

Silence pervaded. Only the sound of insects and squeals of small animals could be heard. And as time passed, Xiao’s eyes became hollower.

“I know someone just like you.” Once again, he interrupted her reverie. But this time, she didn’t feel the slightest anger.

“She was also lonely. But instead of vexing herself to death, she chose to fight instead. In truth, no matter how mature she portrays herself, she’s a child at heart. She was longing for love. So, she works hard for it!”

“She just wanted to impress her dad. And now her very father was going against her. That’s how hard life is. But this also shows how fickle love is.”

“My father loves me. But I didn’t love him back. And he died without knowing I finally love him.”

“So, instead of sulking here, go to your parents. Tell them you love them. Show it every day so you or them won’t regret anything.

Xiao gripped her palms and closed her eyes. “You know me?”

“Pfft!” Arnold laughed. “I’ve been with many children, that’s all. It’s easy to figure that you are a runaway.”

“I don’t believe you!”

Arnold felt more speechless before shouting at her. “Your clothes are goddamn expensive! I haven’t seen a street child wearing such an outfit! You moron! Any man with street smarts would know!”

It was Xiao’s turn to be tongue-tied. She immediately retorted when she recovered. “I don’t think street smarts can help in determining the cost of cloth. Unless you are a baddie!”

“Baddie and also ugly!”

“Fudge! How dare you! Don’t stop me, I’m going home!”

“Pfft!” Xiao laughed, seeing the man walking away while fuming. She held her phone and dialed back home. “I’m in the… Okay. Please, get me home.”

Since then, one could see a sinister-looking man and an innocent pretty girl at the park at night. Some people said they were ghosts. While others dialed the police because they thought a kidnap situation was at hand.

Arnold, the supposed kidnapper, felt his hands were full of these days. He wanted to bite the girl from her snarky remarks! And he also wanted to brawl with those fucking police who have a lot of time in their hands!

“I’m on a vacation, dammit!

Thankfully, the call he’d been waiting for arrived. “Boss, we can attack the palace now. We’ll get the car ready.”

“Nice. Finally, some action! I’ve been terrorized by a girl wet-in-ears these days!

He didn’t know that at the same time, a call also arrived at Xiao’s house.

“Your father wants you to go to the palace.”

Xiao almost yelled in surprise. She scampered towards her room in glee, wanting to prepare her clothes. The trip was long. Thus, she had to bring a lot of things with her. Two maids helped her.

“Father wants to see me!”

She recalled Arnold’s words. Gripping her fists, she also wanted to be like the woman who fought for love.

The love of her father.

1