22 – Is it wrong to bring your bro to a cafe?
6.7k 13 224
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Gah. You... Sure know how to work a guy... Bell..." Welf groaned and slumped against the wall.

I tossed him a watered down potion and nodded. "Hey, you're the guy who said you'd do anything to get to level two, right?"

Welf chuckled. "I didn't say 'anything'... But I guess I asked for this." He sighed and chugged the drink.

We had managed to make it back out of the dungeon unscathed. Mostly because it seemed like the dungeon was starting to get wary of me. 

Unlike before where there were hordes of monsters, there were only a few that chased after us... Well, after Welf.

They were extremely persistent though... Fortunately, Welf wasn't a slouch and was also good at responding to quick orders.

Welf grimaced and pulled the bottle back. "This is a potion? It doesn't feel like much..."

"That's because it's watered down."

"...Why the heck would you water down a potion?"

"Training purposes. And just trust me on this... Or don't and ask the guild for the recent data about potion training regimes."

Welf sighed and waved his hand. "I'll just believe you. Considering all the other crazy stuff going on with you... I'd like to believe that it's just because of you doing crazy stuff as well."

"Hey now, that makes it sound like I go out of my way to cause trouble."

"You're telling me you don't?"

I coughed and avoided his gaze. As I did, I took a look around. "Seems like there's not many people right now..."

Welf pushed himself off the wall and nodded. "Probably because people either headed back for the day or are eating lunch in the dungeon right now." He glanced at me and said, "You're the only guy I know who treats this like a normal job, Bell."

"That's because it *is* a normal job. I didn't set out to be an adventurer to be famous or something, you know?" I paused. "Well, at least not at first."

I'd definitely have to do that now considering Fina. And my skills. And the fact that Tia was definitely in love with me... Or at least open to trying it out.

Welf grinned and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Obviously. After all, you've got a proper family to take care of, Mister Family Man."

"Yeah, yeah." I shrugged off Welf's arm and then glanced at the exchange counter.

Since Babel was fairly empty right now with only a few adventurers milling about talking to the advisors or exchanging magic stones, we wouldn't have to wait long to use the counter.

I looked back at Welf and said, "Might as well go exchange the goods and head back for the day, right?"

"About that..." Welf frowned and then looked at the bag hanging on his right side. The overstuffed bag that was filled with magic stones. "Are you sure it's alright for me to take all of this? You gave me a lot of potions too, so having all of this..."

I waved my hand and said, "Don't worry about it. I'm not the sort of guy to get greedy for things... And besides, without you there to distract a few of the monsters, things might have gotten dicey. Just think of it as... hazard pay."

"Hah. Hazard pay... Interesting concept. But if you say so."

"I do. And besides, how else is my pal going to train his blacksmithing if he's out of cash to buy materials, eh?"

Welf straightened and put on a serious face. "I'll do my best then, Bell."

I clapped a hand on his shoulder and said, "And I'm counting on you, Bro. Black Demon's good and all, but I'm looking forward to how much better your next works are."

Welf gave me a long look and then let out a soft smile. "I won't forget your faith in me, Bell."

"Hey man, you're the crazy guy who decided to stick around after you saw the BS I put up with in the dungeon. I should be thanking you for putting your faith in me."

Welf laughed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Alright, Pal. We'll just have to keep this up and become the best adventurers in Orario then."

"That's the spirit."

Welf grinned and then stepped back.

We made our way to the exchange counter and started changing out our  stones. As we did, Welf looked at me and said, "So you just heading back now? Or you planning to stop by and check on your family again?"

"Mm... I do want to see my little Princess working along with Tia, but I've got a promise I have to keep too... Ah." I looked at Welf and said, "You doing anything after this?"

"Hm? Not really." Welf took his bag of changed valis and placed it at his side. "I was just planning on heading back to the forge and trying out some new ideas."

I dumped a bag of magic stones in the exchange counter and then said, "Do you want to grab lunch with me then? You treated me last time, so it's only fair I get you this time."

Welf stared at the pile of valis being pushed back. One only about a quarter the size of his. He frowned and said, "I think you're treating me enough with this... But you won't let me pay anyway, right?"

"Looks like you know how I work now, eh?" I swept the valis into my bag... Well, I made a show of doing that, and then I sent it into my inventory.

Welf chuckled. "Considering that we just went through hell and back, I think I know you at least a little bit by now, Bro."

"Good to hear. Now, cover for me, alright?" I started walking away and beckoned Welf to follow me. "You see, there's this waitress girl I met the other day..."

xxx

"Welcome to the Hostess of- Oh!" Syr blinked and let out a bright smile. "Mister Kranel! I was starting to think you weren't going to show up!"

"Of course I'd show up. I'm a man of my word, after all."

Syr's smile widened and then she tilted her head, glancing at Welf behind me. "Oh? You brought a friend?" After saying that, her bright expression faded, turning into a frown.

Welf let out a wry laugh and said, "Sorry to barge in like this."

"Oh, no!" Syr smiled. "More customers are better! Though..." She looked to me and said, "You'll order a lot to make up for it, right?"

I pointedly ignored the sharp divine gaze staring at me from behind the door in the back of the cafe and let out a relaxed smile. "Of course." I glanced around the room and said, "Does it matter where we sit?"

Maybe since it was in the middle of the day, there weren't any other customers around. I could see a few waitresses milling about, like a blonde elf, a black-haired cat woman, and a seemingly normal girl with brown hair, but other than them, the place was empty.

...No. There was someone in the kitchen too. 

As well as the goddess staring at me with an intense gaze from the back room.

Other than that, it was a normal, mid-day cafe setting.

...At least, it would be if everyone there except for Syr wasn't sending off waves of mana and pure energy.

Judging from how they swamped both me and Welf in terms of power... I wasn't a guessing man, but if I were I'd guess that they were at least level four, if not higher.

Great.

I shifted my gaze back towards Syr.

She shook her head and said, "Oh, no. Sit wherever you two like." She rubbed the back of her head and said, "We're pretty slow right now anyway, so it doesn't really matter..."

"Alright." I glanced back at Welf and said, "A booth good for you?"

"H-Huh? Oh, yeah." Welf quickly caught on and said, "That's fine."

"Follow me then." Saying that, I headed towards a booth in the corner of the room. As I did, I felt that sharp gaze follow me.

...But I could confirm that it wasn't from Syr. At least, not today.

But that made me concerned.

I thought that gods couldn't use their powers here in the mortal world, but it was starting to seem like there were a few exceptions to that. After all, Tia's stare didn't reek of obsessive divine energy that seemed to want to dig into my very soul.

I resisted the urge to sigh and then sat down.

Welf sat down across from me.

Syr waved and said, "I'll be right back with the menu-"

I shook my head and said, "Just bring back what's good. My friend and I haven't eaten all day, so we're pretty hungry. Right Welf?"

Welf looked away from the blonde elf woman and then quickly nodded. "A-Ah. Yeah, I'm good with whatever."

"Okay!" Syr let out an energetic smile and said, "Then... I'll be right back!" She rushed into the kitchen and said, "Mama Mia! I did it! A big customer!"

I chuckled.

Perhaps seeing that I was calm... and probably not a threat, the wait staff went back to their jobs. Cleaning the tables, wiping down the windows...

Well, they seemed to do that. But from how their ears twitched and from how I could 'sense' their gaze, even if it wasn't an active one, they were still keeping tabs on us.

Understandable, considering that Syr seemed to be just a normal girl.

...Minus the first time I met her where she definitely felt like a goddess. Specifically, that goddess staring at me in the back room.

Note to self: keep Fina far, far, far away from this place. 

Welf took a look around and said, "It's a pretty nice place you found, Bell."

"Mm. More like it found me... But yeah. I like the atmosphere at least."

Ignoring the factors that were increasing my stress levels, the place was calm and tranquil. Just like a cafe back on Earth.

Realizing that made me a bit nostalgic... And reminded me that things were different now.

I had to be ready... But it was also fine to take some time off to relax like this.

"Thanks for treating me out by the way." Welf grinned and said, "Not every day I get to eat good like this, you know?"

"Hm? It's not?" I frowned and said, "I would have thought you'd be at least eating decent considering the quality of your work. Black Demon's a bit out there in terms of use, but in just raw skill you should be making at least decent money from selling basic equipment, no?"

Welf sighed. "I should be. But... Well, it's complicated."

"Ah." I nodded. "Alright. But don't worry. From here on out, we'll be eating at least this decent every day."

"Huh?" Welf blinked and said, "W-Wait. But you have to provide for Fina and Lady Hestia too, don't you? Won't that-"

"It's fine." I waved my hand and said, "Did you forget already?" I made a subtle gesture towards my side. Or rather, towards my bag.

A very empty bag that had been completely full on the way back up with monster drops.

Welf's eyes widened and he chuckled. "Right. I keep forgetting that you're different from others."

I noticed the blonde elf's ears perk up and I shook my head. "Nah. I'm just a bit luckier than most people. If anyone's different from most people, it'd be you."

"Me?" Welf blinked. "What do you mean?"

"Not any blacksmith would try out new ideas like you did, Welf. Considering all of this." I waved towards the general area and said, "Most people would stick to the safe path and just make ordinary things. You aren't like that though." I tilted my head and said, "...But maybe that's because you're a bit off-kilter. I mean, who in their right mind decides to make something ridiculous like Black Demon anyway?"

Welf's ears turned red and he said, "Yeah, yeah. I got it."

224