33 – Is it wrong to turn a goddess crazy with love?
7.4k 44 193
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Freya happily sipped on the cup of tea that Bell offered her.

A small dining table near the kitchen. After her arrival, Freya had been ushered there with that cup of tea while Bell went back to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

Of course, Freya wasn't alone. Instead, a lively trio were sitting at the table as well.

To her right, the goddess that she had recently gotten to know quite well. Hestia, the goddess of Home and Hearth. Also one of the infamous virgin goddesses who rejected countless advances in Heaven... whose current status as such a pure maiden was left ambiguous.

Across from her, an adorable little girl who looked just like a miniature Hestia, save for the white hair and mismatched blue/red eyes. Fina, the child of both Hestia and Bell.

And next to Fina, there was a young man with red hair and light blue eyes. Eyes that seemed to almost appear the color of steel in the current lighting.

Fina looked to Welf and said, "Are you having fun, Mister Welf?"

"Fun?" He glanced at Freya and let out a nervous laugh. "W-Well. It's a bit..."

Freya smiled and said, "You can relax. Hephaestus's new child, correct?" She tilted her head and stared at him, appraising his soul.

A beautiful crimson color, reminiscent of a bloody flame. Vibrant and lively. Pure, despite the dark hints hidden within.

A curious turn of events. From what Freya knew, he should be a Crozzo. And because of their history, the blessing should have been lost, or at least diminished. But it was there in his soul, stronger than any she had seen in recent years.

"Mm. I can see why she spoke so highly of you."

The potential to outshine the rest. To take magic sword creation to a new level with the blessings passed down by the spirits.

Yes, his soul was that beautiful crimson color. A bloody flame that could be a blessing or a curse. And it was pure, untainted by greed like most of the Crozzo Freya had met.

Enough that she was tempted to take him as well. To nurture that flame and see how bright it could burn.

But someone had beat her to it.

A tiny spark mixed in with the rest. One that was miniscule, but slowly dyeing the crimson flame a new hue. Changing the vibrant flame to something else. Capturing the essence and transmuting it to a solid crystal- No, to scarlet steel. A metal that was both unyielding and eternal. And the source of that tiny spark causing the change...

Freya's smile widened as she recognized the familiar chaotic black and white spiral she saw in Bell.

Welf blinked and then he laughed. "Hephaestus talked me up? That's a surprise." He let out a wry smile and said, "I would have thought that I've been nothing but trouble for her."

Hestia frowned and said, "Don't look down on yourself too much, Welf. You're a great blacksmith."

Fina nodded and said, "Yeah! Uncle Welf makes super cool armor and swords!"

Welf chuckled and patted Fina's head. "Thanks, Fina. I'll make you something cool sometime too."

Hestia glared at him.

"A-Ah." Welf pulled his hand back and said, "Only if your Mom approves though."

Fina gasped and said, "Promise?"

"Promise." Welf smiled at Fina and then shifted his gaze to Freya. "I'm still surprised though. For the goddess of the strongest Familia to visit Bell and the Hestia Familia..." He looked at Hestia and said, "Not to be rude, Lady Hestia, but you don't have much."

Hestia gave Welf a blank stare.

Welf looked confused and then his eyes lit up in realization. "Ah. It's-"

"It's Bell."

Welf turned back to look at Freya.

Freya ignored him and stared into the kitchen. While she couldn't physically see him, her sight allowed her to see his soul well enough. And what she saw...

Yes. A wonderfully chaotic mix of black and white. A duality that shifted at any moment only to return to equilibrium. Not only that, but a spiralling swirl that gave the illusion of emitting countless colors. And an intoxicating swirl that Freya could stare at all day.

"Lady Freya?"

Freya blinked and realized that the young Crozzo was staring at her. She let out a soft smile and said, "My apologies. I was lost in thought."

Hestia let out a sigh.

Welf shook his head and muttered something under his breath.

But Fina nodded and said, "Ooh! Daddy does the same thing!"

Freya felt her heartrate speed up a bit and then shifted her gaze to Fina. "Does he now?"

"Mmhm!" Fina straightened her back and then tilted her head to the side. After that, she narrowed her eyes slightly and pretended to look side to side.

Freya giggled. "My. Aren't you a skilled actor?"

Fina smiled and said, "Thank you! Copying people is fun!"

Freya nodded. "It can be indeed. Especially when you need to get away from everything for a while."

Welf frowned.

Freya noticed and then looked over at him. "Forgive me for being a bit rude... But may I ask why you are still here?"

Welf flinched. "That's... Well..." He reached up and tugged the collar of his shirt. "I didn't realize Bell was having guests, so..." He looked over at Hestia and said, "Should I leave?"

Freya gave a pointed look to Hestia.

Hestia looked hesitant, but then she nodded and said, "I believe that would be for the best, Welf. There are a few things that we need to discuss with Freya in private. Ah, but if you wait a bit, I'm sure Bell can send you some dinner to take home."

Welf stood up and waved his hand. "It's fine. I want to finish up my latest project. Plus I've still got a lot of food left over in the i-" He quickly cut himself off and coughed. "Ice box."

Freya raised an eyebrow.

My, my. So it seems that the Goddess of the Forge's interest had a few secrets of his own.

"Anyway..." He nodded and Freya and said, "It was a pleasure to meet you, Lady Freya. And see you later, Fina, Lady Hestia."

"Bye Uncle Welf!" Fina waved at him.

Hestia sighed and said, "And I keep saying that Hestia is fine, Welf."

He smiled and waved. "I'll remember next time, Lady Hestia."

Then he left.

The moment he did, Bell walked over, carrying a tray filled with freshly baked bread and a beef and potato soup. "Hm?" He glanced at the empty chair and said, "Did Welf leave already?"

Hestia nodded and let out an apologetic smile. "Sorry about that, Bell. I didn't think that you were having guests over."

Bell set the food down and said, "It's fine." He stared at Freya and said, "I didn't think that you would be bringing one either. Freya, right? Goddess of Love and War?"

A dismissive tone of voice, paired with a callous and uncaring expression. Not only that, but to immediately drop 'Lady' and purposefully omit the domain of Beauty that she was most renowned for...

Freya giggled and said, "That's correct. And you must be Bell." She reached out and idly traced circles on the tabletop, saying, "I've heard quite a lot about you from Hestia recently."

"Have you?" He sat down next to Fina and said, "I guess that's fair. I've learned quite a few secrets about you recently too, Miss Flovel."

Freya stopped tracing the circles and then leaned forward, propping her head up with her hands. "My. And here I thought that I played the part of an innocent waitress perfectly."

Bell nonchalantly served a bowl of soup and bread for Fina, purposefully avoiding Freya's gaze as he said, "You did. But it's hard not to know something's off when you stare at me that intently. And be careful to blow on the soup, Fina. It's hot."

"But I like hot things? And it doesn't hurt."

Bell patted his daughter's head and said, "Even so, it tastes better when it's not scalding hot."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Okay, Daddy!" After saying that, Fina carefully spooned up a bit of soup and blew air on it until it stopped steaming so much. After that, she sipped on it and then let out a bright smile. "Tasty!"

"Then eat up."

"Kay~!"

Bell slid a bowl over to Hestia as well and ripped off a piece of bread for her. "Here, Tia. And make sure to blow on it before you eat it."

"U-Um. Thanks, Bell." Hestia took the food but glanced at Freya, a bit worried.

But Freya didn't mind.

It was fascinating.

Despite her beauty, Bell stood there unfazed. Not only that, he was making it clear that he wasn't interested in her at all. In fact, he only seemed to be tolerating her presence while seeking for an opportunity.

...No.

Freya remembered how he had accepted her invite as Syr. At that time, he had also brought that Crozzo along. A member of the Hephaestus Familia with enough potential that they wouldn't take a threat to him lightly. Particularly with Hephaestus's interest in the young man.

And he had done the same today.

Bell said that he wasn't expecting any guests, but that must have been a lie.

She heard from Hestia. Bell usually didn't entertain guests and spent the evenings either with Fina or training. That was why Freya went with Hestia in secret to the church so that she could speak with Bell.

And then out of the blue, that Crozzo was there. Not only that, but since he left early, there was a witness that could attest to her presence if the situation went awry. And as a Crozzo, his words would hold some sway instead of it had been some random adventurer.

Clever. Very clever.

Bell took a bowl for himself and then waved to the remaining bread and bowl. "Help yourself."

Freya smiled. "Thank you."

A complete confidence. In the presence of her beauty, power, and the potential ramifications, he didn't fold or cower. He was cautious, yes. But there was no fear in his eyes. Nothing but determination.

However, there was a change in his soul.

The black... No, the darkness that was in equilibrium with the light intensified, swallowing the light. At the same time, Freya felt hostility. Not outright malice, but something like a drawn blade aimed at her.

Determination to rally against the Heavens if need be and embrace all the evil in the world.

But at the same time, it wasn't all-encompassing.

Though the light was swallowed, it wasn't snuffed. And Freya noticed that while it seemed like the light had been swallowed from the darkness's growth... As she carefully observed, she saw that the light had purposefully dimmed. As if saying that this was a situation where a 'hero' should not act, but allowing it all the same.

Freya continued smiling and took a spoonful of soup, doing just as Fina and blowing on it a bit before sipping it.

The dish itself was plain. A simple meal, consisting mostly of spices, sliced potatoes, and meat.

Even so, it was warm. Comforting in a way that the most lavish dishes she had tasted couldn't compare.

Freya couldn't quite place why that was.

And then she realized it.

'Home.'

The simple meal was reminiscent of a warm and inviting home. A meal prepared for loved ones to share joy and happiness.

And one not prepared for her.

Freya quietly took another sip and then confirmed it.

'So this was how he charmed her.'

The steps in preparing the meal were simple. There was nothing that seemed to be different. And it was far from the skill that even Ryuu had in cooking.

But there was *emotion* in the meal. Somehow, impossibly, the soup itself seemed to almost possess a soul.

It didn't. After all, granting life was a domain even the gods above couldn't attain.

Instead, it was a wish. For the ones receiving the meal to be happy and live well. For blessings to never end upon the ones that he loved.

Freya had heard of master artisans infusing a portion of themselves into their work. And she had met a few in the past.

The method for doing so had always been through Falna. A skill or magic... Some ability that imparted the power of the gods into a mundane item to elevate it to a higher realm of existence. A miracle.

This wasn't the same.

Neither a power wrought by divine blessing nor the ordinary mundane. Instead, it was a wish infused into the meal by an earnest desire and sincerity.

"Freya?" Hestia's voice echoed and she said, "Are you alright? Is there something wrong with the soup?"

Freya blinked and realized that her vision was a bit blurry. She blinked again and then let out a soft smile. "No. Nothing's wrong. This is simply delicious."

Yes. Simply delicious. A simple meal with an earnest wish at a comfortable home surrounded by loved ones.

Neither the lofty ambitions of a great hero or the wicked schemes of a vile villain.

Simply the desires of an ordinary man working to ensure his family was cared for and happy.

'L-Lady Freya. These feelings...'

A voice in her mind. One that sounded similar to her own.

Freya placed her hand over her heart, trying to calm its tempo.

It didn't work, but she didn't let it bother her. Instead, she let out a radiant smile and said, "Yes. Thank you." She looked up at Bell and said, "Thank you for the meal."

Fina smiled and said, "Yay!" She looked at Bell and said, "Auntie Freya likes it, Daddy!"

"It seems so." Bell gave Freya a quizzical look. As he did, the darkness inside his soul receded, returning to that equilibrium. The hostility receded a bit as well.

Realizing that...

'Lady Freya!'

...Ah. It seems that she has been charmed indeed.

How terribly ironic.

...And yet how wonderfully unexpected.

xxx

"Bye Daddy!" Fina waved at me from the entrance of the church and said, "Have fun with Auntie Freya!"

I waved back and said, "Have fun with Mommy and Auntie Heffy, Princess! And take care, Tia!"

Tia gave me an awkward smile and said, "I will. And... Um..." She looked at me and then shifted her gaze to Freya.

Seeing that, I did the same.

A beautiful woman with the perfect golden proportions put on full display with her form-fitting sleveless dress. A woman who was the ideal image of a goddess that master artisans would use as their models. Lustrous silver hair, smoky violet eyes and an enigmatic but enticing smile.

Objectively, I could understand why Welf acted the way he did when I brought up what Tia suggested. I could also understand why the Freya Familia had a history of powerful adventurers leaving their Familia to join hers.

Rumors had it that was because she charmed them. But seeing her in person, I had a feeling it was more because she was just that entrancing. Someone who you would want to devote yourself to in order to earn even the slightest bit of attention.

Subjectively, and in my personal opinion... she was weird.

Freya let out a calm smile and waved at Tia. "Don't fret, Hestia. I won't become a homewrecker. I value you and your lovely family too much to do that."

See? Weird.

The way she was acting was completely at odds with all that I read about her. And it was at odds now with the way she had been staring at me before too.

Tia pursed her lips and then slowly nodded. "...I'll trust you on that, Freya. Because we're friends, right?"

Freya nodded. "The best. Unless you don't wish to be?"

Fina looked up at Tia and said, "Mommy? Are you not best friends with Auntie Freya?"

Tia patted Fina's head and said, "Of course I am. But we just recently became friends, so Mommy wasn't sure."

"Oh!" Fina nodded. "I understand. It's like me and Pyrrha!"

"...Pyrrha?"

"Mmhm!" FIna held onto to Tia's hand as they walked away and said, "She's really nice! She's younger than me, but Mister Fire likes her too! And she looks a lot like Auntie Heffy!"

"...That's wonderful, Sweetie. I'm glad you made a friend."

"Me too!"

Their voices drifted off into the distance. And eventually, I heard the sound of the gate opening and closing.

Which meant it was just me and Freya.

It was late.

Freya wanted to have a private conversation with me, so Tia said she was going to take Fina to visit Hephaestus and spend the night there.

The implication was clear.

Tia still seemed conflicted, but she left the decision in my hands. As if saying that she would abide by whatever I decided to do.

I turned to look at Freya.

She stared back, simply smiling without saying a word.

"...Let's talk inside."

"Of course."

I led Freya back to the dining table and sat at one end, beckoning for her to take a seat across from me.

She did.

Silence hung in the air. Freya seemed content to simply sit there and stare into my eyes... No. She would occasionally tilt her head, as if listening to someone talking to her.

A normal person might just think it was her thinking... But I could see it.

A vague ripple whenever that happened, kind of like light distorting in a haze.

So I kept my guard up. Even if Freya wasn't acting like how I expected, this was still the Goddess of the strongest Familia in Orario. One that also held the currently highest-leveled adventurer.

Seeing that she had no plans on talking, I decided to talk. "So Tia told me that you're interested in me."

Freya smiled and said, "I believe I expressed a bit more than just 'interest'... But yes."

"...How about we start with introductions first. We didn't really get a proper one earlier." I held my hand out and said, "I'm Bell Kranel, Fina's father and Hestia's... Well, for the moment I suppose I'm officially just the Captain of her Familia."

Freya's smile widened and she reached out to grab my hand.

Surprisingly, it wasn't soft. Instead, it was a bit calloused and rough. The hand of a woman who wasn't afraid to take action herself if necessary.

Of course, since she was Freya, the goddess who I at least knew primarily because of her magic and as Queen of the Valkyries in pop culture...

Needless to say, I kept my guard up.

Freya noticed and her violet eyes seemed to sparkle with amusement. After that, she said, "It's my pleasure to meet you, Mister Kranel. I'm Freya."

I raised an eyebrow. "Just Freya?"

"Well. I suppose I have a litany of other titles to go by if need be. But you aren't a man who would appreciate them regardless of what they are, would you?"

I ended the handshake and said, "Of course I would appreciate them."

After all, I needed to know which were true in this world and which weren't.

Freya laughed and said, "Well then. Like you said, I'm a Goddess of Love and War. I suppose some have called me a Goddess of Beauty as well, but I've grown a bit tiresome of that title recently."

I gave her a blank stare and said, "Is that so?"

Freya laughed again before her face settled into a warm smile.

Again. Weird.

Also starting to wonder if I might be subconsciously projecting tropes into reality. I mean, with how a goddess seemed to have just fallen in love with me at first sight-

Wait.

Tropes. Reality. Lies...

...Note to self. Start keeping track of flags. And go out of your way to avoid treating this world like an isekai.

But anyway.

I laced my fingers together and rested my hands on the table. After that, I said, "What do you want from me, Freya? Tia said that you're willing to help and support our Familia. But the price for that-"

"Ah." Freya interrupted and held up her hand. "You're mistaken."

I blinked. And then I narrowed my eyes and said, "Mistaken?"

"Yes. Whatever your decision, I still intend to help Hestia and her Familia." Freya smiled and said, "I truly do have respect for her. While I've met many a god and goddess who dared to bare their fangs at me, she was the first to do so with such a pure and self-sacrificing intent."

...What?

Tia... Tch. It seemed like we needed to have a chat about that later.

But I put that thought aside for the moment and focused on Freya. "...And that impressed you enough to become friends with her? Most people would be turned off at getting threatened with murder."

Freya laced her fingers and rested them on the table like I did. After that, she tilted her head and said, "I suppose. But I'm not most people."

"...Yeah. I'm starting to see that."

Freya smiled.

Another long silence.

This time, Freya was the one who broke it. "You must think me an easy woman."

I suppressed my kneejerk reaction to deny it and instead tilted my head, keeping a composed expression.

This wasn't a big deal, after all. We were just talking. Things were going to be fine.

Just had to keep thinking that.

Freya continued and said, "I suppose it's true in a way. I rather adore heroes." She placed her hands over her heart and said, "Souls that shine above the rest. Men and women who separate themselves from the common adventurer... When I see them, I can't help but feel a bit greedy."

Right.

It was a bit of a weird mindset for a normal person to wrap their head around... but I figured it was kind of like a gacha game player. Even if you had a few SSRs, when a new banner came up, you would always want to dump everything to get it.

And since this world was all just a game to gods... I guess that was a fitting analogy. Freya was just an F2P gacha gamer.

F as in 'fuck' and not 'free' though.

Much more effective at getting the guaranteed pull than throwing money at them when it was reality and when you were that beautiful.

"But with you- Ah." Freya cut herself off and said, "I suppose I'm getting a bit ahead of myself." She looked at me and said, "Bell... Is it fine if I call you Bell?"

"Are you really Tia's friend?"

"Of course."

An immediate response. And one without a hint of deceit or ulterior motive.

I could be wrong, but my gut was telling me that I was right. And so I was definitely right. ...I'd better be right.

But anyway.

"Then it's fine." I nodded and said, "If you're really her friend and not just putting on a show, I don't mind you calling me Bell."

Freya let out a brilliant smile. And with it, her ideal beauty changed.

It couldn't be improved. Freya was the definition of 'beauty' itself from an objective standard.

And so it was marred. That 'perfect' beauty that seemed aloof and unreachable softened just a bit.

But because of that, it made her look more real. A person instead of a goddess.

Just like Tia was to me.

...Dangerous. Freya was definitely dangerous.

The saying that 'all was fair in love and war' seemed to apply even more to a goddess that reigned over both.

Still, I kept calm.

The mood and atmosphere was a bit weird, but Freya wasn't being pushy or acting like an obsessive person would. Maybe that gaze I felt earlier was just her being curious about how ridiculous I was treating being an adventurer as a working man's job instead of seeking glory.

Hopefully.

...Let's keep thinking that.

Freya nodded and said, "Thank you Bell. Then... I'll be honest with you. Think of it as interest on the gift you gave me as Syr."

Gift-

Oh.

OH.

Dammit, me.

NOTE TO SELF: STOP FLIRTING. STOP RAISING FLAGS. YOUR SKILL WILL MAKE THEM HAPPEN.

Freya leaned on the table, propping her head up to stare at me. "I want you. And after seeing your beautiful daughter, I want one as well. This isn't a price or a favor I want you to perform. Instead, it's a gift... At the least, I'd like you to think of it like that. No obligations necessary."

I stared at her.

She stared back.

"...To clarify. You're saying that you're giving me a one-night stand. And that you want me to make you pregnant."

Freya blushed and tugged on the collar of her shirt. "Putting it like that is a bit... Well, it's blunt but also true, I suppose. And... yes. I do."

"...Also to clarify. You... do know that Fina wasn't born because I had sex with Tia, right?"

"...Pardon?"

I blinked. "Oh. Well. Guess that cat's out of the bag now."

Silence.

And then Freya burst out laughing. "No wonder she seemed so upset!" Her laugh turned into a giggle and she brushed a tear away from her eyes. "She hasn't even become your woman yet. Of course she would be prickly with me offering that..." She shook her head and said, "What a cute little goddess Hestia is. My... I need to spoil her a bit when we attend Ganesha's party."

"So..." I tilted my head and said, "...Is that it then?"

"Hm?" Freya tilted her head as well. "What is?"

"Fina wasn't born because I had sex with Tia, so-"

"Oh." Freya waved her hand. "I don't mind waiting. Like I said, I'm no homewrecker." She paused and said, "At least I wouldn't do that to sweet Hestia. However." She stared at me with bright eyes and said, "...I am *very* interested in how you had a child with Hestia. And also in having a child with you in the same manner."

"Great."

Okay. So the first and important hurdle had been passed. Then...

She was Hestia's friend, but she was also a woman with the resources to bury us if she wanted. So...

"I'll do it."

"Wonderful. Then-"

"But you have to sign this first."

I pulled a contract that I prepared earlier and placed it on the table, as well as a pen.

Freya blinked, looking curious at how I did that. But then she focused her attention on the contract.

I started to explain it and said, "It's harsh. If you breach any terms-"

Freya immediately signed the contract. Not only that, but she bit her thumb, drawing blood. After that, she pressed it against the parchment and said, "I swear to abide by this contract with the weight of my full authority as a Goddess of Heaven."

A flash of pure gold light. The sign of Heaven itself acknowledging the contract. And also a sign that Freya would suffer the greatest loss if she broke it.

I blinked and then stared at Freya

She stared back, smiling. "So. How do I make my own adorable child? And can I choose? I would *love* to have a daughter as cute as Fina. And I would love it if they could grow up as sisters as well. Don't you think so?" She paused. "...No, Hornie. You can't have him."

Did... Did she just say-

No. Never mind.

Even if Freya seemed to be actually crazy, the threat had been neutralized.

So...

"Well." I scratched the back of my head and said, "If you're serious about-"

"I am."

"...Then I'll need a few things from you. A bit of your essence and mana first of all. After that..."

xxx

Ottar stepped into the Dungeon, mentally reviewing what his Goddess had commanded.

A newborn monster that seemed to be hated by the others. Not only that, but the cutest one that he could find.

"...She has changed."

The odd request was typical. Throughout the years, Ottar had been commanded to do various tasks for Freya to cultivate adventurers she fancied.

However, the manner in which she requested this one was different.

Slightly bashful. Hopeful and eager. Rather than the typical composure that seemed in control of everything, she seemed to be wishing for something outside of her reach.

The others had noticed.

Allen in particular was wondering why their perfect goddess had suddenly become flawed.

But as for Ottar...

He let out a faint smile and rested his hand on the hilt of his heavy sword. "...I am happy for you, Goddess."

Yes. Ottar was happy. Because for once in his life, the Goddess he devoted himself to... The one who had seemed so distant from the world and impossible to understand.

She let out a real and sincere smile.

But for now...

"A monster hunted by other monsters... One that is also cute..."

Ottar didn't know much about 'cuteness.' But from what he had seen girls and young woman adore, the traits should be 'small' and 'defenseless.'

Then...

"A Jackbird would be ideal, but it's impossible for me."

He was simply too powerful. Such a delicate creature would flee the moment he appeared, even if he assured it he was friendly.

No. It had to meet a minimum level of strength.

Then, instead of truly being small and defenseless, it should have the appearance of it.

So...

"...An Almiraj should fit the criteria."

One of the weakest monster in the Middle Floors that even a Level 1 adventurer could hold their own against. Moreover, one that was small and defenseless looking. A deceptive appearance, but one suited to his task.

With that decided, Ottar set off to the Middle Floors, determined to fulfill his Goddess's request.

193