45 – Is it wrong to suspect a friend?
3.9k 31 108
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That Bell. What has he gotten himself into this time?" Eina let out a deep sigh and started glanced towards the stairs from a table she had commandeered on the first floor of Babel.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Misha stared at her finger nails before looking up at Eina and said, "Is it that big a deal, Eina?"

Eina turned to glare at Misha and said, "It is! Do you know how many adventurers requested information about him from me today?!"

Misha adjusted her pink hair and said, "Oooh. Is that why you were so busy? I thought that was because you were getting more books for Mister Kranel."

Eina took off her glasses and rubbed her eyes. "Ugh... Don't remind me about that. I still haven't finished finding a proper book on magic for him. I even asked Lady Riveria as a favor, but apparently Goddess Loki intervened and stopped her and said she wouldn't allow it unless I gave up info about Bell. And then separate from her, the Sword Princess herself came by to ask about Bell too."

"That sounds rough."

Eina ran her hand through her hair and said, "Dammit, Bell. Why is it that every time I go a day without hearing from him, it's even more chaotic? And everytime I see him he's done something even more ridiculous?!"

Misha looked around at the empty lobby and said, "Is that why you're waiting here in the middle of the night for him?"

"Yes!" Eina crossed her arms and said, "At this rate, who knows what other crazy stunt he'll have pulled? I shouldn't be hearing about all these things like Bell walking up to the Freya Familia, winning in a spar against the Sword Princess, and winning over a Crozzo to his Familia second-hand!"

"Uh-huh." Misha nodded and then glanced past Eina towards the stairs leading into the dungeon. "Well... Either way, you might want to take a deep breath before turning around, Eina."

"Huh?" Eina blinked and turned around. "What are you..."

A towering figure wearing gray armor trimmed with crimson. Form-fitting black clothes. Hulking muscles that didn't fit his attractive face, creating a weird dichotomy. But from that white hair and those crimson eyes...

"BELL?!"

The hulking warrior- No, Bell flinched, sweat pouring down his face.

Spoiler

[collapse]

With a faint blush, he gave Eina a small wave and said, "H-Heya, Eina. Nothing big happened this time, promise."

Another towering figure walked out from the stares. Ottar. Hearing Bell's words, the Boaz warrior chuckled and said, "To say defeating a Juggernaut is nothing big..." He looked at Bell with sparkling eyes and said, "I look forward to your continued growth, Bell."

"...YOU DID WHAT?!"

Bell groaned.

xxx

Back at the Ganesha Familia mansion, the banquet was finally winding down as the night drew long. Gods and goddesses alike were making their exit after enjoying their fill of the night's pleasantries.

But Hestia, Freya, and Hephaestus remained.

Hestia sipped on a glass of fruit punch, looking down from the balcony at the thinning crowd and said, "Are you sure we should keep waiting, Freya?" She looked to her side at Freya and said, "It's getting kind of late."

Freya sipped on a glass of wine and nodded. "Mm. We could leave now. But in doing so, a few of the more annoying gods might see it as a weakness and start poking at us to see if there's any substance to our confidence." She paused and said, "Or rather, to your confidence, Tia."

"Ugh." Hestia leaned back in her chair and said, "I hate politics."

Hephaestus sighed while nursing a mug of cider. "Me too, Tia. If only the other gods would just keep to themselves..."

Freya smiled and said, "Yes. But if gods could, we would not be here right now, would we?"

"...True." Hephaestus sighed again and then leaned back in her chair, gazing out at the crowd below. She sipped on her cider and frowned, looking around the area. "...But did Ganesha leave already?"

"Hm?" Hestia looked down as well and said, "Ganesha? Leave the banquet he's hosting?"

"Yeah. I don't see him." Hephaestus frowned.

"Ganesha is currently preoccupied speaking with Ishtar at the moment." A calm and refined male voice called out.

Freya paused in the middle of sipping her drink and set her cup down. "Dionysus."

The speaker smiled and gave a short bow. "Lady Freya. It's not often we meet."

A man with medium length blonde hair and emerald eyes. Beautiful features and a delicate smile. He wore a violet suit with white cravat topped by a crystal broach. Paired with matching pants and shoes, he gave off the impression of a perfect gentleman.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Dionysus, a god of wine that rivalled Soma.

Hephaestus smiled at Dionysus and said, "Dio. I thought I recognized some of your work around. Did Ganesha ask you to help with the banquet?"

Dionysus let out a light laugh and said, "Nothing much. I just gave a few bottles and kegs. It's hard to compete with Soma these days."

"Mm." Hephaestus nodded and said, "True." She pursed her lips and said, "...I feel a bit sorry for those kids though."

While Hephaestus made some small talk with Dionysus, Hestia frowned and stared at him.

...It was weird.

Dionysus had always been nice back in Heaven. And to Hestia, he had always treated her like a younger sister. Kind and caring.

But she always felt like he was a bit weird. And now that she had seen him again after he spent time here in the lower realm, she was certain of it.

Something was off with Dionysus.

He wasn't lying about anything. And that kindness and refined appearance was real. But...

"Is something the matter, Hestia?" Dionysus caught Hestia's gaze and let out a soft smile. "Is it something on my face?"

Hestia blinked and then smiled back. "It's nothing, Dio."

Yes. It was nothing. It was probably nothing. Hestia was on edge after all, so she was probably imagining it.

...At least that was what she would have thought if she didn't see Freya's sharp gaze on him.

Dionysus kept smiling and said, "Well then, ladies." He bowed and said, "I will leave you to relax for the night. Farewell."

With those words and a small wave, Dionysus left.

Hephaestus shook her head and said, "He's the same as always, leaving after some small talk."

"...Is he though?" Hestia muttered and stared after Dionysus. And then she paused, realizing what was odd about Dionysus. "Hey, Faefae?"

"Yeah, Tia?"

Hestia frowned and stared at the crystal broach that was still shining as Dionysus walked away. "...Has Dio always worn a crystal broach?"

It was familiar. Something about the way that white light flickered inside the broach...

"Hm?" Hephaestus followed Hestia's gaze and then said, "Oh, that. Dio's always been wearing different accessories since arriving in the lower realm. He's pretty fashionable, actually."

Freya set her glass aside, giving Dionysus a sidelong glance as he walked away. "...Is that so?"

Hestia's frown deepened. But then she shook her head.

Even if it was weird, Dionysus wasn't the sort of person who would cause them trouble.

...Hestia had a feeling that wasn't true for everyone else, but she didn't feel like Dionysus was directing any ill-will or malice towards her, so she'd leave it be for now.

Instead, she focused on what Dionysus said.

"...Did Dio say that Ganesha is talking with Ishtar?"

Freya nodded. "He did indeed." She glanced down at the balcony and said, "...And it seems that I should have a talk with our host as well. Just to confirm something."

Hephaestus glanced at Freya and frowned. "Do you need us to come along?"

"No need." Freya smiled and said, "You two can go ahead. Especially you, Hephaestus. I believe Welf and Pyrrha would enjoy seeing you like that."

Hephaestus pursed her lips, looking troubled. "...I should really get back to work. Since Loki's job was set aside because I made the children work on my own project-"

Hestia grabbed Hephaestus's arm.

Hepheastus flinched and said, "T-Tia?"

"Faefae. You aren't seriously going to make me walk back home by myself, are you?"

It was an excuse. But even so, Hestia wasn't going to budge.

Hephaestus seemed to realize that as she let out a tired smile and said, "Fine. I can at least walk you back."

Freya chuckled and said, "Stay safe then. And try not to get into trouble along the way. Heaven knows that Orario would burn at the hands of your men if anything happened to you two."

Hephaestus blushed and said, "T-That's not true... Welf wouldn't-"

"You have clearly not spent enough time catching up with Welf these days, Faefae. But anyway..." Hestia waved at Freya and said, "Talk to you later, Freya! You stay safe too!"

"Oh I'm sure I'll be fine." Freya laughed and said, "While I would adore having Bell run to my side, I'm quite capable of protecting myself."

With that, Freya waved and walked down the stairs.

Hestia kept a firm grip on Hephaestus's arm and led her towards the other stairs leading to the exit. "Let's go, Faefae."

Now to see how happy Welf and Pyrrha can get from seeing Hephaestus all dolled up... Hestia couldn't wait!

Satsui no Hado is a hell of a drug.

108