Chapter 14 – Civilization II
29 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's still morning, so not that many people walking around near the gate, the farmers are using the east gate, while around here i see many people looks like hunter, but only some of them has bow... Ohhh monster hunting, they're profitable after all, i don't know their monetary value though.

when I ask one of them where's the guild is.

"You're an adventurer too brother?, Just follow where people like us coming from, it's still morning, the guild are crowded, many people heading this way too so you can find it easily"

He stop walking just to say that then continue walking after he finish his answer, not even giving me chance to reply him. Whichever the world, mornings always busy huh...

When i walk following where the adventurers coming from, many of them glancing at me, well my mask look enigmatic after all. It has face of anger at half of it and face of smiling at the other half. Personally it looks cool though.

I see some kind restaurant, bar, inn while walking, at some point i see market like road at my left side, a pretty long road with many stalls in it, morning market maybe, they're crowded too. Like the guild across of that road, crowded, i don't even want to get inside of that now. So i continue to walk following the road from the gate until i arrived at a plaza like place. There's many stalls in here too, but they sells food and drinks.

I sit at one of the bench there. While gazing at the tower like structure up on the hill, where a big mansion reside near it. I try asking someone about that, but look like people are avoiding me. Well... People judge by looks after all... Not everyone but majority.

While I'm still staring at the tower waiting for the sun to rise a little high,a grandma sit down next to me, well.. it's a two people bench, so it's not really wide.

"This is my spot, I'm not gonna sit elsewhere even though there's a dubious person next to me"

"That much?"

"At least lower that hood, many adventurer use mask or helmet so it's fine, even I'm feeling hot seeing you wearing that cloak. Summer are near, so not many people use them, except the shady ones"

When I'm about to lower my hood.

"Put it back on"

She said. Are you going senile grandma!?

"I understand why you don't wanna remove them now"

Heh! she bit the bait, like hell I'll remove this, i don't wanna even lower the hood down. Looks like it's true that white hair are rare around here, reproach even. Why though...?

"You're runaway are you?"

Before i can reply she already narrating about her magic researcher life at Academy city Ahgmadi. They knew some people has their hair turn white when they use too much magic but no one live long enough to find out why. That's why they test some dead penalty convict to sucked dry of their mana. While many of them not survive, few that's survive have extraordinary mana readings, all of their hair turned white, while she and her colleague still startled, that few survivor went rampage.

One day, one night they're berserk. Half of the city are razed. When the army of dragoons arrived at the city, all of that's experiment survivor suddenly collapse. After an extensive inspection, they find out their mana indication are the exact same mana around the world, raw mana, close to the ether.

Her stories sounds interesting so I just sit there listening to her, maybe she just need someone listen to her reminiscing. As i continues listening, she start talking about how every creatures they test each have different mana indication with the mana around the world. About how creatures refill their mana with the mana around as they converting them to compatible mana for them. How they find out the indication is are by how long their mana refilled. The longer time it needed the wider the mana difference is with the world. Then i ask.

"Why are they suddenly collapse?"

"Their mind can't endure that much Harmonics"

'Harmonics' are the measurements to know how dangerous a creature is based on their mana, because even if you have a large mana pool, the monsters are not kind enough to wait for you refilled. While research about liquidated mana like potion are not going well. If you talk about potion they all must be about enhancement. Bottled light magic are distributed by chosen temples, but they circulate them largely and cheaply, so the masses don't feel threatened with any kind of injury and sickness. There's once a temple that got greedy, but they immediately can't produce any of those Remedy.

Damn! This grandma really knows a lot, she really is a researcher huh. I really want to go to the guild now, looks like the sun are high enough to show us that it's not morning anymore. When I'm about to stand up, she suddenly said to me.

"That's Hilva tower, that's the reason we can grow our foods outside the wall. We have them in every town and cities, but not for villages, they exist where the mana readings are low enough that monsters avoid it"

Looks like this world not that primitive, they just rely on magic more that science. I'm already standing up when she explained about the tower, so i just thanked her about her stories.

"Thank you for the interesting stories, thanks to that I'm not bored while waiting for the crowd in the guild dismiss"

"Oh! how nice of you young man, thank you for listening to this hoary lady"

She has white hair too, but it's normal for old people. While she has gray white, mine more like white snow. When i arrived at the adventurer guild again, there's still many people but not crowded like this morning, where it's looks stuffy just to enter the building. Many merchant like people, that i assume based on luxurious clothes they wear and guild staff that wear the same uniform, blue clothes with some black stripes vertically. They all scattered around the area inside the gate for the guild's ground, arguing over some crate, maybe they are monster materials.

2