Chapter 24 – The Red Ants Gang
118 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author’s POV:

A motorcycle pulled over by a shaded curve beneath the Bervine overpass. The operator of the motorbike was a slightly hunched man who seemed to be in a hurry. He was behaving jittery as he hopped off his motorbike and made his way to a hatch door that was hidden behind cascading plants.

When the door swung open, the man entered a long tunnel pathway which took him to where he needed to be. He was greeted by a guard who didn’t prevent his entry because they knew each other. After briskly walking for 5 minutes, he came upon a capacious chamber where a large group of gangsters were present. He was viewing their operation from atop a steel platform. To get down where they were, he had to hop down the metallic stairway.

Reaching below, he garnered a few turning heads who was shocked by his dishevelled appearance and funky aroma.

“What the hell happened to him?”

“He smells like shit.”

“Shush, keep your voice down.”

“It looks like he is in a hurry.”

“Hey, you.” The man called out to someone who was unloading a crate of guns from a small boat that was floating in the underground water source. “Where is Big Red?”

“He’s in the private den tending to some business. He’s with some clients right now so I don’t think he wishes to be disturbed.”

“Screw that, I’m going in.” The man of urgency ignored the other’s warning and dashed over a narrow bridge floating atop the water until he came upon a locked door. Behind it was the private den. When he barged inside, he willingly disturbed the meeting between 3 important figures. The main one was Big Red.

Big Red’s name suited him perfectly, he had the obesity of a bear as well as the muscularity of a bodybuilder. His skin was populated with all sorts of unsightly tattoos, there was hardly any space left to add extra ink; even his privates had been painted. The name Red came from his unique hairdo that had all his facial follicles dyed crimson.

This intimidating person was the head of the Red Ants Gang. He was having a serious discussion with 2 key members associated with the top weapon dealer in Clown City when he was rudely interrupted by a man of awful decorum.

Staring at the known intruder, Big Red shouted, “Rodent! What the fuck do you think you are doing inside my private den when I have special clients and what is that disgusting mess on your shirt?”

“It’s my vomit.” Answered Rodent quickly. “Sorry to interrupt your special meeting but I have very important information to share with you. It cannot wait.” Rodent went closer to Big Red to convey his urgent information.    

The two weapon dealers felt offended that one of Big Red’s underlings have interrupted their discussion. “Is this how you do business, Big Red? We will take our leave now. Forget about what we spoke about.”

“Wait a moment.” Big Red tried his best to prevent the important men from leaving without fully hearing the terms of his deal. “Forgive me for this intrusion. I’ll get rid of him so we can continue our business.” He grabbed Rodent and began pushing him towards the exit. “Hurry and get out of here. I’ll deal with you later.”

“Stop!” Rodent resisted. He plastered his hands against the walls and refuse to leave the office.

“Do you want me to take care of that trash?” One of the weapon dealers held the handle of his gun, ready to put a bullet between Rodent’s eyes to get him to behave.

“That won’t be necessary.” Big Red told them. Giving his angry vision back to Rodent he said, “You stinking piece of shit are you trying to ruin my operation?”

“No! Please hear me out, Big Red!” Rodent stared at the other men. “I think you 2 will also want to hear what I have to say because it concerns the life expectancy of your boss.”

“Hm?” The 2 men became curious when they heard the last part of what Rodent said. “What do you mean by that, are you threatening our boss?” They aimed their guns at Rodent.

Staring into the nozzles of those dangerous weapons, Rodent hurriedly raised his arms defensively and clarified, “No! You got it wrong. The threat isn’t me!” About to explain further, he noticed the news that was being broadcasted on the TV in the corner of the den and told Big Red, “Turned that up!”

“Breaking news, this is just in from our sources in the field. The tragic massacres that have laden our streets with grief and terror earlier tonight were only the tip of the iceberg for the persons responsible. They just struck again by brutally murdering 2 coroners of Clown City’s main Medical Examiner’s office located on Kingsley street. The body of 39-year-old, Lilith Pettish and 33-year-old, Dalton More has been recovered from the hectic inferno that has engulfed the mortuary. As we’re making this report, our city brave firefighters are on the scene trying to put out the blaze to prevent it from spreading to the neighbouring complexes.”

Footage of the burning mortuary was being shown on television. Rodent started pointing to the screen while trembling like a scared puppy. “That’s him! He is responsible for that fire! I’m sure of it!”

“What are you blabbering about, Rodent?” Inquired Big Red. He had to force Rodent into a corner to get him to settle his tremulous state. “Calm the fuck down and tell me what’s going on.”

“Ok, ok…” Rodent took a moment to steady his breathing then explained, “It’s Smoke Pac. He’s responsible for those brutal deaths that were broadcasted on TV and bet he’s also the bastard who torched the morgue. I don’t know how he survived that night but he’s back for vengeance.”

“Smoke Pac?” Big Red wasn’t buying Rodent's story. “That guy is buried 6 feet under at Sunflower Cemetery. He has been there for the past 7 months, by now, the maggots must have eaten all of his flesh.”

Being the object of disbelief made Rodent very upset. He grabbed Big Red’s collar and began shouting hysterically, “Listen to me you deaf fucker! Smoke Pac is 100% alive and breathing. That fucker killed Byso and Tyrone over 2 hours ago and he almost killed me too if I didn’t escape when I did. He’s alive I tell you! He’s fucking alive!” Rodent’s voice was so loud that every member of the Red Ants Gang currently dwelling in the tunnels heard what he said.

“Smoke Pac is alive?” Some of the gangsters outside were confused when they thought about this.

“Who the hell is Smoke Pac?” A new recruit who was unaware of his predecessors in crime asked this question openly.

Someone who was beside him, said, “Smoke Pac used to be one of the top crime bosses in Clown City. Rodent and Big Red used to be a part of his crew before they branched out and created the Red Ants Gang. But I heard that he had some altercation with Sharp Stepper and was killed 7 months ago.”

“Then if he’s dead, why is Rodent shouting that he’s alive?”

“I don’t know. Probably he had too much to drink. Anyway, that is none of my concern. Help me carry this crate, it’s too heavy for me to handle alone.”

“Alright, I’ll give you a hand.”

Back inside the private den, Rodent sounded so convincing that Big Red and the 2 weapon dealers started to believe his nonsense that Smoke Pac still breathes air.

“So what if that bastard is still alive?” One of the weapon dealers didn’t seem fazed by this possibility. He placed his gun back into its holster and said confidently, “If we cross paths all I have to do is feed him a few rounds of bullets. When his stomach is filled with lead, I want to see him survive that.”

Hearing his boastful tone, Rodent shouted, “You fool! Smoke Pac isn’t someone who can be killed so easily, not anymore at least.”

“What do you mean, are you saying he isn’t human?”

“That is exactly what I’m saying. Smoke Pac has become a monster out of this world.” Rodent looked terrified when he said this. “I got to witness his brutality up close. He can rip open a man’s chest using his bare hands and he moves like a character you only see in horror movies.”

Looking at Rodent’s terrified behaviour, Big Red said, “You must be exaggerating. If he bleeds then he can be killed. You’re just still shaken up to find out that he’s alive that’s why you’re imagining things.”

“I’m imagining things?” Rodent wanted to cut off Big Red’s balls, chew them up then spit them in his face for insulting his intelligence. As he was about to share more convincing words they heard a loud explosion followed by a rumbling echoing throughout the tunnels.

‘Boom!’

“What the hell was that noise?” Big Red became concerned and picked up his special double barrel shotgun. “Are we being raided?”

Rodent had a foreboding feeling creeping up his spine. “It’s him! I can feel it. Smoke Pac has come to finish me off!” He dashed into the corner behind the office where he continued to shiver like a frightened mouse.

 

 

 

4