Chapter 15: Changing perspective I
2.2k 10 67
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm The Lowly Villain In The Game | Chapter 15

 

「Changing perspective I」

 

Looking at the subtle tint of deep blue enshrouding my left arm, my lips curled in satisfaction. I was eager to test this new — or old, I don't know — power. Before, I wasn't confident in beating the stronger students of 1-5. But now, I had full confidence in beating them. 

 

"Ouch!" 

 

A sharp pain ached across my left arm. My concentration wavered as the blue hue in my arm dispersed. I clench my teeth, trying to ease the pain. It felt similar to a cramp, but it was much, much worse. 

 

Wait… is that why? 

 

I open my status, only to see my MP at 0. MP manipulation still uses MP. The consumption rate is dramatically lower than active skills, but cases like this still do happen. Since I used all of my MP in creating the hue just now, the channels on my left arm tensed and cramped. 

 

MP channels are more sensitive than regular veins and muscles. That's why, if they ever cramp, it'll hurts. It'll hurts. It'll hurt so bad that getting kicked in the balls feels less atrocious than this. Fortunately or not, instances such as this only occur when you push your body to move the MP when you have almost none. 

 

Usually, you would feel lethargic from your low amount of MP. But, my excitement in my newfound powers temporarily erased all of that, resulting in my current state of anguish.

 

After a few minutes, the cramping finally stopped. I pant and wheeze, relieved from being emancipated from such torture. By the way, did I ever mention that was just my left arm? Imagine how your entire body would feel under that level of pain. 

 

I learned something valuable today. I'm never going below 5% of my total MP, ever. I guess experiments will have to wait until I recover most of my MP. Stretching my arms to relax, I took out my smartwatch and check the time.

 

[7:20 PM]

 

"…" 

 

Shit. 

 

 

◇◇◇

 

 

I swear this is the most tired I've ever been. Due to the fact I had less than ten minutes before dinner, I had to run for the whole ten minutes straight. Luckily, I was able to go home just as they were about to start. 

 

When I got home, they told me to have a shower before joining them. I did just that. I smell horrendous. I didn't have to spend time cleaning my clothes or armor as the constant dripping water on the 5th floor had cleaned off all the blood. I only had to take a light shower to take off the smell that clung to my body. 

 

Now, around 20 minutes later, I finally got to have dinner in time. The MP on the surface was thinner than in a dungeon. So, despite it already being half an hour, my MP had only recovered to one-tenth. I estimated that in a labyrinth, it may take around one or two hours because of the potency.

 

There's even a magic tool that can measure how much MP is in the air. I think it's called a MAQI— MP-air quality index —. It's similar to the regular AQI used by the government to check for air pollution, but in this case, it refers to the amount of MP presence in your air. 

 

1-20% MP in the air is disastrously low. Although our body has other means to generate MP, filtering it from the surrounding is the most effective. Usually, this happens in places with high altitudes, such as mountains. 

 

21-40% is still low, but that's usually the range of what the surface has. MP regenerates slower because of this. 

 

Anything above 40% is around dungeon/labyrinth level. The speed of MP regeneration is several times faster than the formers. The body has a certain reaction to these levels, evident by my body reacting to it the first time I arrived in the labyrinth. 

 

The MAQI is important, especially in a battle. At the highest level, you could manipulate the ambient MP in the air without filtering it to your body. Therefore, you could gush attacks without expending your MP. Also, the MAQI helps your control in MP. The higher the MAQI, the better control, the lower, the less.

 

"What are you smiling for? You look creepy, stop it." (Amy) 

 

"Ha!?" 

 

I scoffed. Without hesitation, I kick her in the shin below the table. She cried an "Ow!" before retaliating back, throwing low blows at me. Unfortunately for my sister, I was good at dodging and parrying. We exchanged blows. Most of my hits landed whilst only a few of her's grazed me.

 

Our little game ended when our mother glared at us, utterly terrifying us. However, that quickly changed when I saw my sister's half-terrified, half-indignant expression.

 

I gave her a small grin, relishing my victory. Clicking her tongue, she muttered "Sadist." under her breath, enough for me to hear. 

 

"You seem happier today. Did anything happen?" (Mom) 

 

My mom asked while placing some vegetables on Amy's plate. The latter protested but was quickly shut down by the former's sharp glare. On the other hand, my father spared me a glance, before resuming his meal. It seems he's also interested in my joyous mood. 

 

"I leveled up today." 

 

This is the best lie I can make up. Well, it's a half-lie. I did level up.

 

"That's great. Did you join a party yet?" (Mom) 

 

"I haven't. I have a party in mind though." 

 

"Is it Rose's?" (Mom) 

 

"Ehm… No?" 

 

"Eh? Why not? She would let you in if you asked, right?" 

 

Let's be real. She'll find every reason not to. Anyways, my mother tilted her with a confused look. After a moment, she blinked her eyes, a teasing smile seen on her face. Oh no. 

 

"You have a party in mind right?" 

 

"… Yes." I had a bad feeling. 

 

"Is it perhaps another girl?" 

 

I froze. My hand that was holding my mug of juice abruptly stopped. My thoughts went toward my earlier interaction with Eva and Irene. 

 

"Ughh…" I grumble. There was no use deceiving her. She knew if I lied to her, even with my flat expression.

 

"It's okay, honey~ That's how your dad and I met after all." 

 

"..!" 

 

My dad choked on his drink when he heard my mom's words. It's true. My father met my mother when she was a guild receptionist — she still is.

 

One day, when my mom was off-duty, she decided to dive into the labyrinth, only in the shallow areas because she was solo. My dad coincidentally met her that day and invited her as a duo. It isn't exactly the triggering event that led to their current relationship. But, it was the start of it all.

 

"Honey…" 

 

"Ahh~ I still remember when your father flirted with me back in the guild. He was annoying back then. I mean, who flirts when there's another girl in your arms. Rightttt dear~?" 

 

She said with a smile at me. However, there was no warmness behind her smile. I shivered. Looking at my father, he was quite literally trembling in fear. 

 

"Dear… I stopped talking to her when we got into a party together." 

 

"Is that so~? You're so sweet, dear." 

 

My mom beamed as her angelic aura came back, relieving both males of the Gasper household. Amy seemed unfazed at our entire interaction, scrolling through her phone carelessly. 

 

My mother was quite a tease. Actually, she is a tease, borderline sadistic even. Maybe that's where I got my traits from. I do see joy in my sister's peril. Oh God, am I becoming like my mother? 

 

"Moving on… Lukas, don't be like your father in the past."

 

"I'll be careful mom." 

 

"Good~" 

 

My father looked defeated, shoulders slumped as he eats his dinner. It appears my mother is the real head of the house. It's okay, dad. Hang in there. I still respect you… 

 

After my mother's warning, dinner went smoothly. Our conversation went from my father's questioning actions to more normal topics. It was uneventful, but peaceful nonetheless. 

 

After our meals, I washed the dishes. When I finished, I went back to my room and crashed into my bed. I was planning on staying a little later to test my powers. However, intense fatigue hit me, leaving me drowsy and languid. 

 

'I'll… test it… out tomorrow…'

 

In the end, my drowsiness prevailed. 

 

 

◇◇◇

 

 

The next day. 

 

I entered the classroom with five minutes to spare. Instantly, I was yet again met with a series of glares. I shrug it off, walking over to my desk. 

 

Before entering the school premise, I adjusted my Disguise I skill to display my level as 2. You could use the skill to hide your name, but I didn't see the need to. Inspect I only show you the name, level, and amount of skills of a person. 

 

The Disguise skill, however, alters and even hides the three mentioned above. In my case, it's better to leave my name as is, but alter the level and amount of skills. It creates a convincing facade that no ordinary student can pierce through. 

 

"Hey~" (Irene) 

 

"Irene? Do you need something?" 

 

"No, nothing really. Just wanted to chat." (Irene) 

 

"If that's true, what are you hiding behind your back?"

 

"Uhm…" (Irene) 

 

"Can you help me with my math homework..?" (Irene) 

 

"…" 

 

I blankly stare at her, dead-pan at her words. She dryly chuckles, apprehensive of my gaze.

 

"For the vice president, you don't fit the image." I teased. Hearing my words, Irene rolls her eyes before wryly smiling. "Give me a break. Eva usually does all the work. I just stand there and act all pretty." 

 

"My condolences." 

 

"Thanks. So, about the homework…" 

 

"What about Eva? I don't see why you have to ask me." 

 

"Eva's been gone since I got here. I think she got called by Mr. Jackson. And, you scored in the top three in our class." 

 

"…" 

 

Seriously. I never thought anyone would ask me to help them with their homework. The last time that happened was… with Rose, I believe? 1st year of middle school. 

 

"I'm not doing it for free." 

 

"I know." 

 

She flashes me a grin. A beautiful, mesmerizing smirk. I snap my mind out of it. She's going to hypnotize me one day. 

 

She rummaged in her pocket, taking out a can of French vanilla coffee. Taking the can from her hand, my lips curled ever-so-slightly. 

 

"Deal." 

 

"Hehe~"

 

"Take a seat." 

 

She took an empty seat beside me. My seatmate seems to be talking to his friends. Once she brought it next to me, I scoot my chair to the side, giving her enough space to move around my desk. Despite my actions, our shoulders touched together from how small my desk was. 

 

I reach for my backpack, taking out my math notebook. I already did my homework yesterday. So, all I had to do was explain it to her. Of course, Irene wanted help. Not answers. I'll try my best to teach her the right direction instead of flatly giving her the answer. 

 

"Let's hurry up. We only have around 5 minutes before homeroom."

 

Following my words, she took out her notebook and pen, a serious expression plastered on her face. I instructed her on what to do in each question, giving her enough hints and guides to help her solve the problem on her own. 

 

At first, Irene had trouble processing most of my words. But a quick reminder or two was enough to set her back on track. She was a quick learner, capable of absorbing most of my instructions like a sponge. Honestly, I was quite proud of her. 

 

"We did all the necessary steps and solved all the formulas, what do you think is next?" 

 

"Replace x with the given formula and divide it by two to get the answer?" 

 

"Correct. That should do it. You're smarter than you make yourself out to be." 

 

"And you're different from what the rumors make you out to be."

 

She unexpectedly bit back. Caught off guard, my expression faltered for a moment. Despite her eyes focused on the notebook, she smiled, as if satisfied by my reaction. 

 

"Thanks a lot, Lukas." Closing her notebook, she thanked me. I wave her gratitude dismissively. 

 

"No problem. You're a quick learner. It made it easier." 

 

"Really? I thought it's because you were great at teaching." I blink at her, confused. She smiled at me while organizing her things.

 

"You didn't give me the answer straight away. You made me find it on my own with hints and guides. I have to say, you were sneaky. I didn't notice until a few moments ago." 

 

I stiffened slightly. She was sharp. Heaving a sigh, I place my coffee on my desk. 

 

"Alright, you got me there." 

 

"Oh, I was right?" 

 

"Yes, you are—" 

 

"Irene, there you are. And Lukas? Eh?" (Eva) 

 

Eva called out to us, surprised at seeing both of us together. Well, we were an odd pair in the eyes of an outsider. Surprisingly, we had decent chemistry— at least I think we do. 

 

"Irene. Since when did you get so close with Lukas?" (Eva) 

 

We both look at each other and shrug. It's not what it looks like, believe me. I couldn't help but spare a glance at Irene, checking her reaction. She was straight-faced. Her expression hardened to a practiced poker face. It was hard to tell what she was thinking. 

 

"It isn't like that. I forgot to do my maths homework." (Irene) 

 

"Oh. I'm sorry for the trouble Irene has caused you Lukas." (Eva) 

 

"Hey…" (Irene) 

 

"Don't worry. She wasn't that bothersome… Maybe a little." 

 

"Huh? How?" (Irene) 

 

"Once again, I apologize."

 

Eva apologized while ignoring Irene. However, I could tell she was just teasing her. I was amused when I noticed. I want in on the fun. 

 

"You two." (Irene) 

 

I glance at Irene. She was smiling. Yet, I could make out the silent fury imminent in her iris. A shiver ran down my entire body, telling me to leave right now. It was a pure instinct on my part that told me to run. Sadly, we were at my seat. I couldn't run even if I wanted to. 

 

"Lukas—" (Irene) 

 

"Alright, class. Time for homeroom." 

 

Hearing Mr. Jackson's words, I nudge both Eva and Irene out of my seat. The former pleaded to me with her eyes and the latter glared. Ignoring the two, I sat down on my seat and chugged the rest of the coffee.

 

She's scarier than I thought. 

 

 

◇◇◇

 

 

End of class. 

 

Classes were uneventful as ever. Thankfully, today is a Friday, meaning the next two days are weekends. I could focus on leveling up then. Anyways, for now, I wanted to explore the school premise, and maybe get a few pictures to show to Amy. 

 

My first destination was the courtyard. It didn't take much time to get there, around five minutes of walking from my classroom. When I got there, I was met with the beautiful scenery of various flowers, trees, and plants. 

 

Smooth stone walkways were constructed, leading to numerous paths. The paths were meander, similar to a serpent. Near the edges of the walkways, wooden benches were located, enhancing the park-like feel of the place. 

 

Further down the paths, trees of unique colors were nurtured. One of the more captivating trees had leaves that were cyan colored. I took a picture of the fascinating sight, eager to show it to my family. 

 

To my side, an arrangement of flowers bloomed, forming a beautiful flower bed. Their colors varied. One side had all white, another with only yellow, and one more containing blue. It was enchanting to look at. Without hesitation, I took another picture. 

 

I scanned the courtyard a bit more, checking to see if there was anything more enthralling. I took a few more pictures of scenes that I found interesting. After I was done, I left the place, content with what I had seen. 

 

My next destination was… Ehm… it's not really for sightseeing reasons. It's more of investigating really. Anyways, it was the club rooms. Just like every high school, Vanitas had clubs. But, instead of the innocent clubs that helped you connect with people of the same interest. Vanitas' clubs were anything but that. 

 

There are no clubs that center around regular hobbies. All clubs in Vanitas High are purely for the sake of growing stronger. It can be about learning a specific weapon, a class, or real-life combat experience. if it can make you stronger, there's probably a club for it. 

 

The thing is, most clubs are controlled by the 3rd to 1st class. Meaning, that clubs are essentially unofficial locations to place your factions. Even if I wanted to join a club, I doubt they would accept my application. Hell, if they did accept it, I'll just be their errand boy for the most part. 

 

I wasn't planning on joining any clubs in the first place. The political dispute between other clubs and the internal hierarchy in that place is enough to suffocate me. Seriously, unless you had a decent social standing, it's best if you didn't bother joining one. 

 

Just like any other club, they are funded by the school. The funding may vary. If I remember correctly, the main reason why the numerous clubs fight with one another is for funding. 

 

The strongest clubs should be the sword art club and magician's club. The names are self-explanatory. Anyways, the two clubs have enough members to occupy around 40% of the entire student body. With that many students, the funding is naturally excessive. 

 

I'm not visiting them though. I already know what they look like and what to expect. Also, I didn't want to be ordered around by some random noble if they ever see me. 

 

All clubs use the facilities provided by the school. The two strongest clubs even use entire buildings to themselves. The other less powerful clubs were smaller, but they had space to play with. 

 

For now, I'm visiting the moderate clubs. The possibility of getting called out is unlikely. I could roam freely. The location of the clubs was behind the main building, the place where I take my classes and such. 

 

After a few minutes, I reach my destination. Numerous buildings covered my vision. Their designs differ from one another. They were similar to the contemporary building I attended at university. 

 

Making my way over to the less opulent buildings, I enter the first club. It was the caster's club. A club meant for students who picked the caster class. They taught you strategies in positioning, what to do in certain scenarios, and overall what to expect when using the class. 

 

My gaze landed on the students in the club. I could make out some seniors in the 2nd and 3rd years. However, there was a clear lack of humans in this club. Just as I expected, I thought. 

 

Suddenly, a chill ran down my entire body. I knew what it was. My Disguise skill reacted, covering and deflecting the sensation that tried to unravel my being. When it faded, I sighed inwardly, satisfied that my skill worked. 

 

I scrutinized the area. There was nothing of note to mention. After a moment, I leave the club. 

 

Damn. I was used to the feeling of getting inspected, but it still felt eerie. Well, this was my first time so my reaction was heavier. I'll most likely get used to it in the future. 

 

Following that fiasco, I visit every club I could label as safe in my eyes. I took a picture or two if the scenery was great. But, other than that, it was mostly me getting inspected. If I stayed for a minute or more, I'll get inspected. 

 

It was exhausting. The feeling of your skin crawling is enough to leave you drained, especially when it's done over a dozen times in such a short amount of time. 

 

Hahh… Forget it, let's just go home. I'm tired. 

 

Taking my smartwatch out, I tap at a display of the entire academy. The watch flashed before expanding to a full-scale flat map of the premise. This place is honestly too big for me to navigate on my own. 

 

'If I go through this corner… it should be a shortcut.' 

 

I look at the map again to confirm my conjecture. It suggests I take a longer route by going around the entire area. However, if I just go through this corner and go straight through the rougher path, I'll get there faster. 

 

Just as I was about to turn,

 

"If it isn't the half-bred mongrels."

 

A mocking voice was heard in the corner I was about to turn. I backtrack, leaning my back against the wall, avoiding their line of sight. I sighed, calming my irksome mood that was building up. Only one thought ran across my entire mind. 

 

Why didn't I expect this? 

67