Chapter Three
448 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aleta exited the room following the priestess down a quiet hallway. There wasn’t anyone around. A stunning different from the dozens rushing around mere moments ago. Odd. Aclina led her to a secluded room a little ways away from where she would be staying. A small table sat in the middle of the room. Alcina sat down on one end and Aleta sat on the other.

“Ms. Aleta, it's wonderful to see you.” Aclina started, “How did you come across the chosen one?”

“They fell down a hill.”

Aclina laughed, “I forgot how funny you are!” She quipped playfully.

“Right…” Aleta said, “What do you want?”

“Can’t I talk to an old friend?”

“You hate my guts.”

“Come now, you know that’s not true!”

Aleta stared.

“I want you to join me.”

“Why?”

“Think about it! It would be a massive boost in fame, everyone would be looking to you, the chosen’s best friend.”

“I’m not going to use my friend for personal gain! What’s wrong with you?” Aleta shouted, standing up abruptly.

“Come now, think of what you could do with that power~” Aclina purred.

“Are you trying to fuck me?”

Aclina choked, taken aback. Before she could respone she was interupted by loud laughing behind the door.

Curious Aleta opened it revealing Echo rolling in laughter, “I knew I liked you for a reason!” They cackled, bursting into more laughter.

Aclina stuttered coughing more, “My, my lady! I thought you had gone to sleep!”

“Lol you think I sleep.”

You sleep like the fucking dead.”

Aclina’s mouth opened and closed mutely.

“Alright uh, have a wonderful night High priestess Aclina.” Aleta commented on pulling Echo out of the room with her, “I think me and Echo here are going to head off to bed now.”

“Aight.” Echo replied, ignoring Aclina who looked like she was about to say something.

The duo exited the room, closing the door just before Aclina was able to say anything. Distantly they could hear her screaming.

“Music to my ears.” Echo commented smugly.

Aleta laughed pink highlighting her cheeks, I think I’m in love with this asshole.

----------

Nuns bustled about in the dead of night knocking on doors and waking people up. They had a story that needed to be published. They entered news stations around the city giving the reporters the scoop. They started designing social media posts. Everything to get the world to notice Echo.

Meanwhile Echo sneezed, “I suddenly got the feeling something bad's gonna happen.”

Through their link they could hear Chaos cackling.

“I’m fucked.”

----------

The moon fell and the sun rose. Light streamed into the cathedral. Gently illuminating the place. Echo had something laying on their chest, assuming it was her cat, or Chaos, they placed their hand on top of its head and began to gently pet whatever it was. Fluttering their eyes open they heard gentle purring and saw Aleta drooling on their chest.

Echo chuckled a little. “You’re almost as touch starved as Chaos.” They muttered, laying their head back down on a pillow and drifting off once more.

Contrary to the calm happening there, chaos was brewing outside. The paparazzi had arrived before dawn, followed by religious representatives from nearby churches and then by politicians. Guards and police were placed outside keeping the crowd back as it continued to grow. Citizens demanding to be let in.

“My people please, we have gathered here today to see the chosen one of Ises, the god of chaos. Let us say a prayer, and allow the gods to guide us.” High Priestess Aclina called, catching everyone’s attention as she led them in a prayer.

Once that had been finished she continued with her announcements. “As you may be aware, the chosen one came last night. They sought refuge here with the devotee who had stumbled upon them.” The crowd listened intently, “The chosen one is currently resting, having spent much of their energy making their way to us.”

Aclina smiled at the crowd and continued, “Let it be known that while transferring to this plan of existence their form had been warped slightly, making them appear human. They were unprepared when sent, due to having to rush.”

Things like this continued for at least an hour. Aclina explained the situation to eager onlookers. Answering as many questions as she could, while staff inside the church prepared everything for the ceremonies and rituals that would soon take place.

----------

The sleeping duo were startled awake by the door bursting open and a few staff personnel entering the room.

“Ack!” Echo fell off the bed.

“I’m up!” Aleta cried, bolting up, blushing heavily. I was so comfortable! She internally cried.

“Your divinity, devotee Aleta! We have come to prepare you for the day.” The staff announced in unison.

“Damn how many times did you have to practice that?” Echo muttered under their breath.

“I’m sorry, what's happening?” Aleta asked skeptically.

“First we will prepare the proper attire for you to wear. You will get ready then eat breakfast by 8:00. You will have to finish eating by 8:15. Then at 8:30 the ceremony will begin and last until 9:30, you must attend after that…” the staff member continued listing everything that was on the schedule for the day.

Echo zoned out. Aleta on the other hand seemed to become more and more agitated as they spoke. Finally she burst, “We didn’t agree to any of this! We’re here to collect information. Why do we have to take part in all this publicity junk!”

That got Echo’s attention.

“Devotee Aleta, we understand your frustration however you are a powerful influencer with a wide fan base on several social media platforms. Surely you must understand why this must happen.”

Aleta looked like she wanted to commit a murder.

“Hold up, you're an influencer?” Echo asked.

“Uh yeah?”

“We can use that.”

“Ok?”

“I’ll explain more, just go with the flow for now.”

----------

Elsewhere the high priest of the temple of Chaos heard the news of the new chosen. A chosen of his own church. He should be overjoyed, its what was expected of him. He played his part, sent a priest, acted overjoyed to the onlookers, but as soon as he got back into his room.

He felt murerous. He was actually going to commit a murder. He gritted his teeth as he called a number on an untraceable line. Everything was going wrong, but he could fix it. It would only take a few favors.

----------

Dolled up, Echo and Aleta waited just outside of the elegant doors of the worship area of the cathedral. Peaking out they could see a sea of people standing wherever available. Paparazzi, politicians, citizens, everyone.

“I take it back, we gotta bolt.”

“Smile, wave, I’ll do the talking.” Aleta suggested.

“Na if they're making me do this I’m going to cause problems on purpose.”

Aleta nodded.

Echo!”

“Oh so now you show up! Where have you been?!” Echo muttered angrily under their breath. Aleta glanced at them looking confused.

Looking for the others. I think they may be avoiding me.

“Ok then what do you want?”

That’s all really, also what the hell did I miss?!”

“... Now ladies and gentlemen please welcome their divinity, Ises’s chosen, Echo, and their devotee, Aleta!”

“That's your cue, you grace!”

“What fuck--” They were pushed out.

Cheering deafened the duo as they looked down upon the crowd. Together they smiled and waved, causing the cheering to become even louder. Echo grimaced. After a few minutes of this Aclina managed to get the crowd to quiet down.

“Blessed people of this glorious nation, today is the day…”

She droned on, Echo and Aleta finally being able to sit down.

“This is so boring.” Echo whispered

“Yeah no joke, this church is so stuck up.” Aleta whispered back.

“Will she never stop talking?”

“Honestly I couldn’t tell you.”

Silence fell between them.

“We're bolting after this right?”

“Absolutely. We can use your platform to gain public support.”

As the duo continued to gossip and plan the high priestess continued on and on. All while paparazzi were snapping pictures

----------

A small Cronid sat across from the high priest. Lazily gazing up at him as he rested his head in his hands, tail swaying gently behind him.

“So you want me to kill the chaos god, Ises, chosen one huh?” He asked.

“Yes, I am willing to pay you handsomely for this.”

“Of course you will, but why would money sway me to kill my god’s chosen?” He questioned malice swirling in his eyes.

The man gulped, “You are the best, the only one I can trust to finish this mission. Besides, you still owe me a favor, Enzo.”

“I suppose I do,” Enzo shrugged, “I want half the money up front.”

The man gritted his teeth, “Fine.”

“Wonderful, so glad we could agree.”

20