Chapter Seven
194 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ok we're winging it. No script smile at the camera and we’ll explain the situation.”

    Echo nodded.

    “Alright recording in five…four…three…” Aleta counted. “Hey everyone! I have some news I would like to share with you. Me and my friend, Ises’s chosen one here,” Aleta gestured to Echo who smiled and waved.

    “We are perfectly fine as you can see. Bit of background after we had ran, we were fine that man was just a very eccentric fan, we boarded a train back to my home city, Sunshire.”

“It's beautiful here.” Echo commented.

“The ride was quite long and by the time we got back here it was late and we still had a few things to take care of unfortunately. We actually just woke up not too long ago. That’s all I have to say, have a wonderful day!” Aleta concluded by ending the recording. “Ok I’ll get this uploaded.”

“Alright.”

 

----------

 

The video was uploaded and the duo were finally ready to go. They were heading to the church first to test mana. Echo had a skip in their step. They approach the doors of the church of the Ises, the god of Chaos, opening them and walking to the receptionist.

“Hello ma’am we’re here to test for mana levels and affinity.” Aleta announced.

The receptionist looked up gasping when his eyes fell on Echo, “Of course, right this way, your grace.” Aleta smiled, thanking her and followed, gesturing for Echo to follow. Skipping slighting they did so. 

Magic, magic, magic, magic,~ They sang in their head.

“I can tell you what your mana is, you know that right?”

Echo jumped almost screaming, “Christ! Warning next time, you scared the daylights out of me.”

The receptionist stopped throwing a concerned look at Echo.

“They have a connection to Isis, they talk to each other sometimes.” Aleta reassured me.

The receptionist hesitantly nodded.

“Where have you been anyway? It’s been an age since we last spoke.”

I still can’t find the others, they picked a really good place to hide. Like damn I’m impressed.”

“Ugh.” Echo groaned, “It’s gonna take an age to get back isn’t it.” They said, rubbing their eyes.

“We have arrived, your grace, devotee.” The receptionist announced. Opening the door to reveal a mostly empty room with every changing blob of color contained in a floating cube.

“Wow.” Echo gasped, eyes sparkling, “That’s really pretty.” They said pointing at the cube. “Not gonna lie, I was expecting the stereotypical white orb.”

“White orb? Why would that register mana?” Aleta questioned.

“It’s a normal stereotype in my home world.”

“How odd.”  

----------

 

When the duo had walked in, the man was notified. He had noticed it near immediately. His teeth grinded and his fist clenched as rage began to consume him. He took a deep breath and calmed. It was time to plan. 

The assassin I hired was obviously useless. I have to get rid of him, after this pest is taken care of that is. I need to plan. If I want something to get done, I have a feeling I’m going to have to do it myself. He thought eyes were darkening.

 

----------

 

“Ok so how does this work?” Echo asked, grinning and bouncing on the balls of their feet.

“You will go near the cube and its color will change to show your affinity. After that a number will appear above it. That is your capacity.”

“Alright, got it. Oh this is gonna be so funny.” Echo chirped practically vibrating.

Aleta held a soft smile on her face, eyes softening as she observed her friend. She could help but feel happy seeing them this excited. They are adorable. She thought.

The receptionist gustered to the cube, Echo nearly squealed as they skipped to it. The cube shifted lighting zipped around it wildly and an odd mist formed in the center moving around in a fluid manor.

“Oh this is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.”

“Hey I’m way cooler than that!”

“Ha! No you're not.”

“I’m being bullied.”

The doors opened, startling everyone. 

“Ah, lighting and inversion type affinities. I suppose that is what we should have accepted.” A jolly old voice sounded from behind them. 

Echo turned to look at them.

“I suppose I best introduce myself! I’m the high priest here, you can call me Jojin.”

“Jojin, nice name.” 

“Thank you, your grace.”

The receptionist and Aleta gasped. Echo turned back around and saw the number hovering over the cube. 25,000 it read. 

“Is that good?”

“Extremely your face that's nearly three times my own.” The old man replied merrily.

“I assume yours is pretty high.”

“One of the highest in the world, your face.”

“Oh I’m going to cause so many problems.” A manic grin formed on their face.

The man let out a laugh. “I see why you're the chosen one, your grace! You have the same streak as my god it seems.”

“Sweet now I just have to figure out how to make this work.”

“I’d be happy to teach you, my own affinity is lightning.” Aleta quickly volunteered.

“You can also take up lessons here your grace we would be honored to teach you.”

“Oh thanks, but I’m trying to find my way back home. Unfortunately magic won’t be my main focus.”

Aleta frowned feeling her heart sink, and her ears droop. That was right, they were trying to get home

“Hey don’t look so down. I’ll be sure to visit.” Echo reassured, gently punching Aleta in the shoulder. “Just gotta figure out this whole dimension travel thing.”

Aleta smiled weakly back, ears dropping slightly, “You better.”

The priest cleared his throat, “Sorry to interrupt, but what do you mean go back home?”

“I was sent too early, there was an accident, now I’m stuck here.”

Jojin furrowed his brows and frowned, “I do not understand?”

“I’m not supposed to be here yet.”

His eyes widened and realization dawned on him, “Ah the prank you’re doing!” He laughed, “I understand now you almost got me.”

Echo died inside a little bit, “Yeah sure. Unrelated note do you know of any books or scripture or anything that mentions being able to go to the realm of the gods.”

“We do have a few passages about it.” Jojin said.

Echo gestures for him to continue.

    He sighed, “There is one myth that says the high priest and priestesses were once able to enter the realm of the Gods in great times of need.”

    “Is there like a ritual that has to happen? Do you just gotta scream into the void some? Tell me more.” Echo urged.

    “Well we’re not sure. Most of the text has been lost.” He replied shrugging.

    “Dammit. Wait, I have a god friend. HEY CHAOS!”

    “I’m right here you don’t need to yell!”

    “How do I return home?”

    “I don’t know! I’m pretty sure Protection put in a safeguard like five millennia ago. I don’t remember.”

    “Wow you are no help. Are you supposed to be omnipotent or something?”

    “Why does everyone think we're omnipotent?! Just because I can see more than mortals doesn’t mean I know everything. Half the time I’m not even looking at the mortal plane!”

    “Great, I got the imcometant god as my friend.” Echo groaned. “Ow fuck my leg! Did you just curse me with mild bad luck?!”

    “Why would you ever think that?”

    “Gods you are petty.”

    “Thank you.”

    Jojin looked at Aleta concerned, cat like ears twitching, the typical reaction.

    “They have a love-hate relationship.” She reassured 

    “Oop!” Echo slipped on nothing. “Now you're just being mean! I’m being bullied.”

    Faintly everyone could hear cackling. Aleta froze, tail and ears puffing, Jojin tensed, the receptionist screamed. 

    “Ay tone it down your leaking through a little bit.”

    “Oh that was priceless! I have to do that more often.”

    “Yeah sure, go find the others so I can get back home.”

    “I’ve looked everywhere thoooo, there nowhere.” Chaos winned.

    “I’m going to be stuck here.” Echo muttered the feeling of dread settling in.

    “It’s not all bad here, we can try all the different foods out, and  I can show you everything in the world. We have some neat things you know.”

    “Thank Aleta. You're my favorite.”

    Aleta beamed.

   

18