Chapter Eight
180 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

JuniperAclina paced around her office, biting her nails. It was a bad habit that she only did when she was stressed. How was she going to remedy this? She managed to convince everyone that what their divinity had said was merely a prank. But now she had to figure out how to get them back. Her assistant had notified her they were in Sunshire, Aleta’s home city. Aclina had nearly lost her cool, only managing to wait until the assistant was out of earshot to break something.

    Aclina noticed how clenched her jaw was and attempted to relax it slightly. Taking a few deep breaths. “Alright what I know is…” She began to mutter and listen off everything relevant to the situation and how she could use that.

    Her musings were interrupted however when her assistant burst into her office. Her head snapped up glaring at the assistant as she panted, “High priestess,” She gasped for breath, “We have received word from,” she took a few more breaths before continuing, “Our plant in the temple of Ises’s, the chosen one, is there currently.”

    Aclina sneered, “Of course they are.” She realized with a long aggravated sigh, “Why can’t I just have ONE thing go right for me!?” She asked, seeming a bit manic. 

The assistant gulped.

“I mean come ON.” She spat out, “First I lose out on what I really want to do with my life being stuck with this job all thanks to that BITCH Aleta. Don’t get me wrong, this place is great. I would just like a little bit more thanks. Then Aleta finds the chosen like the perfect princess she is.” She ranted.

The assistant nodded agreeing with a wobbling smile.

“And just as I thought maybe, just MAYBE I could get on her level and take her down a notch, she runs away with the chosen! Next thing I know the priest from Isis's temple is already taking advantage of them! I just wanted a little bit of acknowledgement from the gods for all the hard work I’ve been doing, but noooo someone has to RIP that away from ME.” Aclina let out a short angry scream. “Fix this!” She demanded.

“Of course, High priestess.” the assistant replied dutifully.

 

----------

 

Echo sneezed, then sneezed again, then once more.

“Your grace is this place to dusty? Please follow me.” Jojin says pleasantly.

“Thanks, allergies must be killing me. I forgot how bad they were.” Echo accepted trailing behind the priest, sneezing occasionally. They exited the hallway to be greeted by a swarm of rushing staff members.

“What is going on here?” Echo asked, not really expecting a response.

“High Priest Jojin! Her majesty Juniper is coming!!” Someone of obvious high standing shouted rushing toward the four.

The priest paled.

“I have everyone working overtime right now. Please tell me what we can do.”

“Continue doing what you're doing. Get some people to prepare Aleta and their grace here for her majesty’s arrival. Everything must be perfect.”

“Ah fuck not this again.” Echo said glaring at the ceiling, “Chaos I’m sorry, please just get me out of here!!!”

Chaos did not respond.

“I know you can hear me, you asshole!”

Still nothing.

“Betrayal! Betrayal of the highest order. Shame on you, shame on your family, shame on your COW.” Echo cursed while being dragged away by some staff members.

 

----------

 

Miraculously Echo had managed to escape the clutches of the staff members who were trying their best to get her to be presentable. Unfortunately for them Echo was having none of it. They had managed to escape through the vents and were currently humming the mission impossible theme song as they trudged along. Mentaly they apologized to Aleta. They would find her when the coast was clear.

Echo peered through one of the vent openings able to see dozens of people rushing around in a frenzy. They couldn’t help but feel empowered. This much chaos simply because they escaped into the vents. I’m starting to see why me and Chaos get along so great. Echo hummed and moved on, singing under their breath the entire way.

They took a break and decided to watch out for a different opening, this one was near the main door to the church. They looked on curiously as they were able to catch dififts of conversation. They laid there for a few minutes reading their head on their arms, enjoying the peace. That peace being watching everyone around them scramble to find them. 

Just as they were getting up to leave the room silenced and Echo was able to hear the doors swing open. They froze without making a sound. Suddenly they saw everyone in unison bow and give a greeting.

“Welcome your majesty.”

Huh thanks time they were in the vents. They were not about to leave them anytime soon. Poor Aleta, they’d have to make it up to her somehow. They heard Chaos laugh.

    “Wait what the fuck did you dOOOOOOOO--” the vent broke Echo fell out. “Just kill me next time! It’ll be kinder.” they shouted, flipping the sky off. “Ow fuck!” They clenched their legs, holding it close to their chest. “This is just bullying!!”

    The hall was dead silent. Echo finally looks around locking eyes with a rather pretty woman. “Hi, your hair is really pretty.” They blurted out.

    “And you would be…” She trailed off glaring down at Echo.

    “My name’s Echo. Nice to meet you.” They replied holding their hand up, still sitting on the ground.

    “Ah so you would be the chosen one I’ve heard so much of.” She replied not bothering to shake their hand. “Explain yourself.” She demanded.

    “Pff, rude.” They said flatly, crossing their arms.

    “You don’t know who I am do you?”

    “I can make an educated guess.”

    “Oh truly.”

    “Yeah a bIT--” Echo was cut off by Aleta slapping the back of their head. “Where’d you even come from?” She asked bewildered, rubbing the back of their head looking up.

    “That is her royal majesty,” Aleta hissed, cat-like ears pulling back, and her tail fluffing up.

    “Called it.”

    Aleta's face palmed. Jojin attempted to remedy the situation.

    “I am so sorry your majesty, we attempted to have their grace in order, but they seemed to have escaped through the vents.” Jojin pleaded groveling on his knees in front of the Queen.

The Queen began to laugh uncontrollably. Jojin looked up confused. As did everyone else.

"Oh you're just to funny." She cheered, walking closer to Echo. Placing her hand on her chin gently tilting it to look up at her. "You are an incredibly interesting kitten! Careful i might just decide I want to keep you~"

"Run bitch run, that is a walking read flag factory." Chaos commented eagerly.

"Yeah and who was it that got me into this situation hmmmm?" Echo asked accusingly.

"My bad."

"Now now kitten, who are you talking to? Focus on me, or else I might get a little jealous."

"Uck. gross no do not touch me that i will bite you." Echo shot back accusingly.

"Feisty huh, I also do love taming the wild ones~"

Aleta was steaming on the edge of bursting out and saying what was on her mind. Luckly Echo spoke up first. slapping the queen's hand away

     "Ok first of all I'm not a fucking wild animal. Treat me with respect or face the consequences." They hissed glaring at the Queen.

The queen laughed into her hand, "Oh course kitten."

Echo punched her in the nose, or attempted to anyway, Aleta pounced on them restraining them before they could commit treason and get themself killed.

"I'm sorry your majesty, but my friend here is obviously feeling a little under the weather as you can tell. It cause them to lash out." Aleta began to explain.

"Oh you think this is bad I'll show you--" Before Echo could continue, Aleta covered her mouth.

"As I was saying they just need a little rest excuse us thank you." She rushed out of the room dragging Echo in her arms. Behind them they could hear the laugh of the probably insane queen. Aleta finnaly removed her hand from Echo's mouth.

"Bah! what was that for?" They asked pouting slightly.

"You cannot attack the queen!" Aleta scolded.

"Why not, down with the monarchy! Let chaos reign!" They proclaimed raising their hands into the air in a dramatic fashion.

"No."

"Boo!"

Aleta finally led them into a room off to the side.

"Where are we?"

"A guest room."

"Why do these churches even have those?" Echo asked, confused.

"The people here offer places for people in need to stay."

"Ah so that's why there's 20 beds all around." Echo responded, nodding their head in a sagely way, "Thought this was just an insane cult for a second there."

Aleta simply shook her head. "How are you still alive?"

"Spite and divine intervention."

"I- whatever. Just stop trying to start fights with entire nations, I will not survive." She pleaded, "No matter how cute you are..." She then added under her breath.

"What was that last bit?"

"Nothing!" Why does this keep happening?! She questioned internally.

"Alright if you say so."

"Great."

"I will not overthrow a government today!"

"I'm dead." Aleta concluded, throwing their hands up.

"You'll be fineee, we have a god on our side!"

Aleta almost cried.

17