Chapter Tweleve
126 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aleta looked at Echo who glanced back at Aleta. their eyes meet. Echo could feel their heart hammering in their chest as adrenaline began to course through their veins. Enzo silently began to guide them to the backroom. The level they were on was four stories above the ground, if they tried to jump, they would be massively injured.

Leaning down he whispered, “Do you know of any good hiding places?”

“There is a place in the closet, but it can only fit two people max.” Aleta wishpered back, barely audible.

“Hide there now.”

Aleta squeezed Echo’s hand walking silently as they could to the closet. The duo climbed into the back, baring themselves under as much as they could in the small cubby hole. THey huddled their partially on top of one another. They heard people poundeding on the door, demanding to be let in.

“Call the police.” Echos whispered barely audible.

“We can't, it would only confirm we are here.”

“Dammit.”

They fell back into silence as the banging got louder. They heard shouting. Then the sound of something huffy hitting the front door, followed by the sound of splintering wood. The duo found themselves holding their breaths. Echo felt Chaos presence growing stronger.

“Chaos?” Echo whispered to Chaos.

“I’m here.”

Echo breathed a little easier. They heard another bang and the splintering of wood. The sound of footsteps entering followed soon after. Echo could feel Aleta shaking slightly. Little sparks of lightning zipped around them. They squeezed her hand tighter. The next thing they heard were shouts. Followed by what sounds like a body hitting the ground. Echo’s heart leaped to their throat. Aleta clinged onto Echo tighter. Chaos warped around the duo like a protective blanket keeping them safe.

 

         Thump             Thump                        Thump            Thump                    Thump

    Thump    Thump

 

Thump                    Thump             Thump

 

    Echo could tell if the thumping was the beating of their heart or the sound of bodies hitting the floor. Fainting Aleta could hear the sound of someone choking. They stayed hidden. They heard the door open. Their breath hitched.

    “You can come out, it's safe now.” They heard Enzo say.

    Chaos continued to swirl around them as they stood on shaking legs, slowly making their way out from their hiding spot. Enzo greeted them. Accidently getting zapped when he tried to put his hand on Aleta’s shoulder. He frowned. Echo warped an arm around her shoulder bringing her closer to them. Enzo leads them out of the bedroom.

    “You may want to close your eyes for the next part.” Enzo suggested, “It's rather gory.”

    Echo nodded, closing their eyes, confident in Chaos’s ability to protect them. Enzo was still a little sketchy. They were guided out of the room, led down the hall and into the elevator. Enzo had placed a hand over their eyes to make sure they didn’t see the gore beneath them. He removed them once they were in the elevator. Echo loosened their grip on Aleta. Signaling to her it was alright to look up now.

    The elevator was sparkly clean, no sign of blood Echo figured they would have stepped in anywhere around them. Not even on Enzo. Enzo handed them some fake glasses and a hoodie. The duo swiftly put it on. Just in time for the doors to open. They walked out with their heads down slightly, nervously glancing at the royal guards stationed around. 

    “We can go out the back door,” Aleta suggested. Turning and leading them in a different direction. Enzo and Echo stayed on her heels. 

    The backdoor didn’t have any guards stationed around it, allowing the trio to exit without much issue. They took to the streets blending with the crowds of people. Aleta felt the buzzing of her phone in her pocket and ignored it. Enzo was able to wave down a taxi relatively fast. They stepped in sitting in the back while Enzo gave the driver instructions on where to go. The taxi sped its way through the traffic, something that Echo had found out was universal. 

“Where are we going?” Aleta finally asked, having calmed down.

“The Chibun kingdom.”

“Wait, are we fleeing the country?” Echo interrupted.

“Yes, is that a problem?”

“I mean no not really, but I haven't even committed a felony yet! This is blasphemy! I demand a refund.”

That managed to get a laugh out of Aleta.

“I say we commit some arson before we go.” Echo suggested, “What should we light on fire?”

Aleta thought about it for a moment, “We can light that one politician's house on fire.”

“Y e s.” Echo grinned ear to ear.
    Enzo smiled softly at the duo as they finally calmed down and chat like normal. They continued to ride like this making idle conversation while the driver slowly became more and more concerned. The taxi driver breathed a sigh of relief as he finally stopped at the train station.

“We’re here.” He announced. “That’ll be--” He was cut off by Enzo aggressively shoving a wad of cash in his hand.

They all bounced out of the car.

“I’ve made my decision that we are committing a felony before we leave. It's necessary for my soul.”

“Pyromania always makes me feel better.” Aleta agreed.

“Onward then! To commit a felony!” 

“No--” Enzo objected.

“Hush now Enzo you don’t get to talk you’ve already commit your felonies. I still need to commit mine.” Echo linked their arms with Aleta’s. “We have to commit some arson, its the gayest crime.” 

Aleta laughed joyfully. Enzo was herding a flock of kittens. He managed to get them on the train however. They sat in three chairs right next to each other, Echo on one end, Aleta in the middle, and Enzo at the other end. It was then that Aleta finally looked at her phone. Her eyebrows furrowed as a frown formed on her face.

“What's wrong?” Enzo asked.

“Aclina contacted me.”

“Ack, what does she want?” Echo commented.

“Uh, she said she wants to help us out of the country.”

“Oh how does she plan to do that?”

“She’s offering transport.” 

Echo and Enzo picked up at that.

“Should we take it?”

“It’ll definitely help us go unnoticed, I’m surprised we haven't been spotted yet.”

“We are lucky this train cart is empty, but that won’t last once the afternoon rush comes.”

“Right then let's accept.”

Aleta grumbled a little, “I really don’t like this.”

“None of us can drive, so it's kinda our only option.” Enzo pointed out.

Echo looked over at him, “You can’t drive?”

“Why do you think I can drive?”

“I don’t know, maybe because you're an assassin?!”

“Correction I never got my license, got banned from that.”

The conversation fell into incoherent shouting.

“Wait a minute do we have passports?” Echo suddenly asked, after things had calmed down.

“Passport?” Enzo asked. 

“Yeah, the thing to get to other countries and identify you as an actual person who can be over there ya know?”

“No.”

“What the heck do ya use then!?”

“Mana signatures.”

“Wat.”

“Everyone has a unique magic signature like a figure print. It guarantees there isn’t any fraud. We created a device that senses the signature and stories it. It can only be called out by that person.”

14