Chapter Thirteen
112 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Juniper had moved back to the palace one she had realized the church would be no help. She tapped her fingers on her chair as she scrolled through some of her social media. She was searching for anything and everything that was related to her darling little kitten. This was when she came across a news article.

    It read: Twelve found dead at Devotee and famous influencer Aleta’s home.

    The queen immediately tapped on the article, eyes scanning it. She felt her heart beat faster as her face heated up and her fist clenched. Her grip tightened on the device hard enough to cause the screen to crack. Her royal guards had failed her. This was unacceptable. 

    Her eyes darkened as she stood and strided out of her office, making her way out to the training fields. Alpha followed on her heels. The doors flew open as the queen burst through the doors, completely ignoring the servants stationed to open the door for her. She made her way to the front of the field standing up straight glaring at the training men, women, and others training. 

The instructors noticed her arrival. They set into action immediately, rounding up people and making them stand at attention. They all faced her and addressed her using the utmost respect. Juniper could see the color draining from their face as she stared at them with malice brimming in her eyes.

“Twelve of your number were found killed today at Aleta’s home.” She started, “The chosen continues to evade us, we must find and capture them. I will not tolerate this kind of failure again. Do not disappoint.” She hissed.

“Your majesty, look at this.” Alpha said, holding up his phone showing a text.

Juniper looked at it before a wicked grin appeared on her face, “It appears we have a lead. Bring them to me now.” She demanded, directed Alpha to send the information to the guards.

 

----------

 

Echo was having a quiet conversation with Aleta when Chaos spoke out of nowhere.

The woman with the purple hair to your left has been looking at you for a while now.”

Echo jumped, startled. They turned their heads around to see a purple haired lady looking at them. They meet her gaze. She held it for a few moments before looking away. Echo did the same.

“We’re being watched.” They whispered.

Aleta stiffened, Enzo made no observable reaction.

“Get off on the next stop as quickly as you can.” He addressed them. “Expect people there who are waiting to ambush us.” He looked at Aleta, “Tell Aclina to meet us in Cloudsummit.”

Aleta nodded, pulling out her phone and quickly contacting Aclina. Echo clasped their hand with hers. Reassuring her. They rode the train for another twenty minutes in a tense silence. The announcements came on, saying they were about to stop at Cloudsummit. Echo felt Aleta’s grip tighten on hand. Echo squeezed her hand back. The train came to a gradual stop. The white lines signaling mana usage died down slightly as the doors hissed open. The trio stood. 

Echo glanced at the purple haired woman behind her seeing she had stood up. They locked eyes for a second, before Echo redirected their attention to their friends. They stepped out of the doors bypassing the few people who had gotten on. They continued walking forward, hands held together for reassurance. Aleta’s free hand was wrapped tightly around her phone. They stayed in the crowded area. 

“News on Acline?” Enzo asked under his breath.

“Uh,” Aleta looked at her phone with sweaty palms and shaking hands. “Five minutes.”

Echo nodded observing their surroundings. Noone seemed to be after them quite yet. They bagan to make their way up the stairs. Nothing, no one. They were sandwiched between Aleta and Enzo. They were excited about the train station. They stood outside waiting for their car to ride. Beside them the purple haired lady walked up. Aleta and Echo leaned over to each other whispering. Enzo looked over glaring at the newcomer. She gave him a soft smile and wave. That was when he felt his hand get tugged roughly out of his grip.

He spun around seeing Echo being picked up from behind, hand over their mouth. They let out a muffled scream. Before Enzo could react the guy let out a shout of pain. Echo had bit his hand and was now going for the throat. Enzo’s eyes glistened as he blushed, That’s hot.

Echo sucks their teeth into the flesh of the man behind them. The man screamed as he ripped them off and tossed them. Echo twisted in the air landing in a crouched position on all fours. Blood dripped down thier chin as they glared at the man in front of them. Electricity zapped around them.

“Yeah no fuck this, they didn’t tell me the chosen was feral.” The man said, throwing his hands up into the air. “Ke--” He stopped as he looked down at his partner who was being beaten up by a tree branch Aleta had found. “Oh my gods they're both feral…” He whispered under his breath. He pulled out a walky talky of sorts, “Yeah we’re gonna need back up, the chosen and devotee are feral.”

“Oh shit--” Echo blurted, rushing forward and grabbing Aleta’s arm, dragging them off.

Enzo joined them in their flee darting down the low traffic streets. As they ran a nondescript car pulled up by them. It rolled its window down and shouted at them, “I was sent by Aclina! Get in!”

“Oh thank time.” Echo breathed a sigh of relief, flinging the car door open and shoving Aleta in. they climbed in after her, Enzo followed. Enzo slammed to the door shut and looked out the window to see their pursuers closing in. Echo looked to. 

Their head wiped to the driver, “Drive drive drive!!!” They shouted.

The driver jumped stepping on the glass as one of the people pursuing them jumped on the trunk of the car.

“Do a donut!” Echo demanded.

“What?!” the driver asked.

“Spin in circles! We got someone on the trunk!”

The driver turned the wheel sharply causing the car to drift in a circle. The person on the back was thrown off. The car straightened out and shot forward. Aleta's mouth was agape a scream still stuck in her throat. Her eyes were wide and her face pale. 

“Oh I think I might throw up--” Aleta commented doubling over. Echo rubbed her back.

“You good?” They then asked Enzo. Enzo stared forward, face blank his ears puffed up to the max.

“YeAh.” his voice cracked.

The driver chuckled. “It was nice meeting you chosen. Jojin sends his regards.” The driver pulled up something that vaguely resembled a gun.

“Huh what?” Echo asked confusedly, looking over at Enzo who had his teeth bared and ears pinned back, “Oh right! I forgot people were trying to kill me.” They realized nodding to themself.

“Goodbye.” The driver commented, finger on the trigger.

Echo reacted purely on instinct. They lunged forward, shocking the man into pulling the trigger hitting them dead on in the chest.

Aleta screamed.

Enzo roared.

10