CH 11 – The Ball (Part 3)
1.4k 4 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Have you been practicing in secret again, young master Frey?” Sir Edward, my sword instructor, put down his sword.

I had survived my accounting, etiquette, and history lessons. And finally, the most grueling lesson of them all was wrapping up.

“...Yes.” I blatantly lied and lowered my own sword. My arms burned from the workout.

I couldn’t truthfully tell Sir Edward that I had years of sword practice. Heck, I had actual combat experience. Not that it really mattered with my current weak body. I was currently only a Strength of 4 according to the System.

But Sir Edward nodded, accepting my answer.

“You’ve improved significantly, almost overnight,” he said. He caressed his gray and white goatee.

We were in our family’s dirt training grounds, mainly used by the guards that Sir Edward supervised. Right now, it was just him and me in this vast space where thirty men could work out comfortably.

“You have good technique. But your muscles are still undeveloped. So we’ll focus on strengthening your body tomorrow,” Sir Edward said.

I wiped my sweaty face with a sleeve.

The sun was still high in the sky, making me feel even more tired in its relentless heat.

I agreed with his assessment. I was weak. I had swung the sword for only half an hour, but my arms felt sore, and I was entirely out of breath.

How am I supposed to save Adovoria in this state?

Thankfully I still had seven whole years. Perhaps four or five if I considered when the initial attacks by the Kobar Empire began.

“Go wash up. Good job today.” Sir Edward took the heavy sword out of my tired hands and walked away.

“Water?” A servant appeared with a cup held out.

I took it and gulped the water down, spilling some down my sweat-soaked tunic. Water had never tasted so sweet.

“Thanks.” I handed back the empty cup.

“Your bath is ready for you,” the servant stated.

I took a good look at the young man serving me. He was roughly my age and utterly ordinary in his appearance. It was actually rather remarkable how unremarkable he appeared. Ordinary build. Ordinary face. Even his voice was ordinary.

“What’s your name again?” I asked.

I decided to learn the names of everyone working on the estate. Or at least the names of those I interacted with a lot. I couldn’t go “Hey, you” all the time.

And I needed to rehabilitate my trustworthiness. I couldn’t be throwing daggers at assassins all the time.

What’s the use of these guards and servants if they didn’t do as ordered?

“Remlend,” the young man replied.

“How long have you worked here?” I asked.

I wiped my face with the towel Remlend handed me and returned to my room.

“Two years. Since I was twenty-three,” he said.

I took in his appearance again. I guess he just looks young.

“I’ve served you for one year,” he added.

Tsk.

I messed up. It’s been years for me since my original life in the Frey estate. And I wasn’t close with all too many people working at the estate even in my original life. Or maybe it’s because of how unmemorable this guy is.

I looked him up and down again.

I had this feeling that I’d be unable to describe him to someone even if my life depended on it. He was just so ordinary and average-looking.

I wouldn’t have been able to even describe his hair color. Was it brown? Red? Blonde? It had hints of everything and seemed to change depending on how the light fell on it.

“It’s quite alright. Most people have a hard time remembering me,” Remlend said.

Ah. He’s aware of it himself.

“It’s not a bad thing. You should work as a spy. You’d blend in well,” I said.

“I don’t know about that...” Remlend smiled. Even his smile was ordinary.

“I really think you’d do well,” I said.

He might have thought I was joking, but I was serious.

I should suggest a career change for him to my parents. They could always do with an extra pair of eyes. It’d pay better too.

***

I sank into the bathtub full of warm water.

When was the last time I had been able to have such a luxurious bath?

I leaned back and closed my eyes, allowing myself to doze off for a moment.

The warm water felt good against my aching muscles. The tension from the sword training seemed to melt away.

I had taken too much for granted in my original life.

I opened my eyes to look at the luxurious bathroom. The tub, walls, and floor were composed of black marble. The scent of lavender wafted through the room.

If I did better in this life, I might be able to continue living like this. It certainly beat the future I had lived through.

I rubbed the ring and pinky fingers on my left hand. I couldn’t get used to having these two fingers still intact.

I need to live better this time around.

I pulled up the primary stats screen.

[ Strength : 4
Dexterity : 35
Perception : 38
Intelligence : 12
Charisma : 7
Mana : 2 ]

Nothing had changed since this morning. I guess one day of diligent sword practice and attending to my studies wasn’t going to make a dent.

***

“Young master, is everything alright? Are you coming out soon?” Remlend called out. “I just received word that your mother and brother are almost ready. I’ve set out your clothes already. I’ll help get you ready for the royal ball.”

“Yes, I’m finishing up,” I called back.

I had completely lost track of time.

I pulled myself out of the bath water that had long gone cold and patted myself dry with a fluffy towel. I brushed my wet black hair aside and gazed at myself in the mirror.

A slim, fragile-looking young man stared back.

To think I grew from that into someone notorious enough to get recruited into The Order by Grandov.

I wonder how Grandov is at this point in time.

I pushed open the doors of the bath and walked into my bedroom. “Please make me presentable enough for a royal ball, Remlend.”

“Most certainly, young master.” Remlend bowed. “I’ll make you the most eye-catching bachelor of the ball.”

I frowned.

“Maybe not that eye-catching. Let’s not overdo it.” I had a chance to look at what Remlend had picked out for me, and it was undoubtedly eye-catching. I sensed that I’d be the flashiest, most blinged-out guest at the ball.

“Let’s go for something a little simpler,” I said.

“Simpler? How so?” he asked.

I understood his confusion. I was known for my extravagant fashion at this age. Even Denise had a slight pause at my request when she dressed me this morning.

However, I did not want any extra attention on myself now.

I was glad that Micah was alive in this timeline because he’d have to deal with all the socializing as the heir of the Frey Merchant Guild.

The social scene of Adovoria was a war zone. It was the most dangerous battlefield in many ways, and I had realized this truth too late. It was an explosive tightrope walk that I never wanted to walk again, even with the knowledge and experience of having walked it once.

“Yes. Something classic? Dull, perhaps?” I suggested.

“Dull?” Remlend cocked his head to one side.

“I would like to be the wallflower of the ball. So let’s go for that as the theme of my outfit,” I said.

Remlend gave his ordinary smile.

“However you wish, young master.”

 

How frustrating must it be for Luca to know the technique and your body not following through properly?

But hey, it certainly beats not having a couple of fingers or living family members in my opinion. ╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

45