CH 16 – The Ball (Part 8)
1.2k 6 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Come by again, my butterfly! I suspect you have many more secrets you could share." Natalia called out. "Oh! And be sure to grab some bread on your way out! It's delicious!"

"I will," I replied without looking back. I left the wisteria garden in a daze.

Why did Grandov see the Misfortune Sisters at this point in time? And what could his misfortune have been?

I bit my lip as I crossed the bakery and out the front doors.

Maybe they left so quickly because he scared them off?

I thought through the possibilities.

Then again, what did I really know about Grandov apart from our time together in The Order? He had rarely spoken about his past, and I was happy to oblige him, not wishing to talk about my own dark past.

"Youff maufugh!" Henry greeted me at the entrance with a deep woven basket full of goodies in his arms and his face stuffed with a chocolate pastry.

"Swallow your food before you speak," I said. "You might choke otherwise."

Henry quickly stuffed his pastry into his mouth and seemingly swallowed it whole.

"Ah—I didn't mean to just swallow it. You're even more likely to choke like that—Ah, never mind." I waved my hand.

What was I going to do with this fool?

"Here," Henry pushed the basket towards me. "I didn't know what you liked, so I got you everything."

I felt my arms droop from the weight. I peered inside.

"I think we could feed every person at the manor with this much," I noted.

"I suppose we can," Henry peered inside as well.

"Here, you carry it." I handed the basket back to Henry. "Pass them around when we get back."

"I will!" Henry smiled brightly. "But are you not going to have any? Here, I saved the best one for you."

Henry dug inside and pulled out a braided puff pastry with red filling spilling out.

I took the pastry and inspected it. A buttery and sweet aroma emanated from it, inviting me to take a bite.

"Henry," I said. "What is inside this pastry?"

"Strawberries!" Henry replied brightly. "They only had one remaining, so I grabbed it just for you."

"Hmm." I pursed my lips. 

I had told Denise I was deathly allergic to strawberries in Round 5. But this was Round 6. No one knew I was allergic yet.

I looked at Henry's expectant smiling face.

"Henry, that was very thoughtful of you. And as a reward, you can have it." I handed it back to him. 

Henry looked wide-eyed at me. "Are you sure??"

"Yes, I am sure. Go ahead," I replied. I didn't bother explaining my allergy.

Perhaps I should keep this allergy a secret?

I gazed around the strangers walking down the cobblestone street. Men in tall and colorful top hats, women in knee-length puffed-out dresses, and small children with too many ribbons on their clothing passed us by. Everyone looked well-to-do and proper, but in my experience, that meant next to nothing. Appearances were often deceiving. 

If anyone nearby had poor intentions toward me, sharing out loud that I was deadly allergic to strawberries would only spell disaster for me.

I frowned.

It was probably best to avoid sharing this information even within the manor. Kaiden had proved that it wasn't all that safe even at home. Who knew what other danger might be lurking in the shadows?

***

"Young master Luca, you have returned." Remlend greeted me at the entryway gates. "You missed your other lessons, but will you be attending your sword training?"

I eyed up and down the ordinary-looking young man. I had forgotten how he looked since the last time I saw him.

"You really have quite the unusual talent…." I mumbled.

"Sorry? In what way?" Remlend gave his ordinary smile.

"Forget it. And no, I will not be attending sword practice." I wiped my forehead with the handkerchief Henry had provided me earlier. "I've had enough of a workout as it was."

And besides, I had more pressing matters.

Remlend blinked and glanced at Henry, eyeing the large woven basket.

"OH right~!" Henry lit up and handed a large pastry to Remlend. "We stopped by Ashford Bakery, and the young master bought enough for the whole manor. You can have this one."

"Ashford Bakery, did you say?" Remlend smiled at me. "That is very kind of you, young master Luca."

"Don't mention it," I replied. "Oh, and please stay by the entrance. If any letters come for me, make sure to bring them right away."

"I most certainly will," Remlend replied. "But perhaps I should prepare a bath for you first?"

I fanned my sweaty tunic. "Yes. Indeed. You do that."

Remlend bowed and jogged ahead of us.

"It's so frustrating how weak I am right now." I gazed enviously at Remlend's back. "I can't even imagine running right now."

"Well, I think that's to be expected. You've been bedridden for a month and then didn't partake in any physical activity for another two months. And you barely ate anything then too."

I stopped dead.

"What?" I stared at Henry.

I did not recall this whatsoever. Was whatever made me bedridden so awful that I had no recollection of it?

"Everyone was quite concerned for you," Henry added. "It's wonderful to see you in such great spirits now."

"Huh. Is that so? Well, I'm doing quite well now." I continued my walk towards the large entryway into the mansion. Two guards stood on either side.

I had no interest in recollecting any potential traumatizing memories. I had already put in a lot of effort into forgetting as much of the dark past of my original life as it was. Whatever the illness was, it had passed, and I was healthy now; what did it really matter?

But at least I understand why I'm so fragile and weak at this point in time. 

Henry trudged ahead of me and planted a pastry in each guard's hands.

"These are from young master Luca!" I heard his voice explain to the puzzled-looking guards.

Ah, damn it. Is he going to do this with everyone?

But the two guards raised their hands, holding the pastries as if toasting towards me, and beamed bright smiles at me.

I suppose it's okay.

I nodded and smiled back.

Perhaps I can even gain some reputation points with this.

The guards pulled open the large doors for me, and I entered. My eyes wandered over the large painting of my family hanging above the large staircase. It was the same staircase I took each morning to get to breakfast. My eyes moved to a spot on the quartz floor. That was where Kaiden had fallen dead this round after being pierced by my dagger.

"Young master, should I bring one of the pastries to Jasper?" Henry asked. "I heard he fell ill last night. But perhaps he is feeling better?"

I blinked.

"Ah, damn it," I swore.

I forgot I didn't have just Micah to save. I also had Jasper's death looming in the near future. He still had two whole months, unlike Micah, who only had a few hours, but if Jasper had just fallen ill, it was best to get ahead of the problem.

"I'll bring him a pastry myself." I put my hand into the basket and pulled out a long, twisted pastry covered in sugar. "You go and pass out the rest of those."

"You can count on me!" Henry smiled and took off towards a maid passing by.

My shoes tapped loudly across the green and yellow quartz floor. I pulled open the door the maid had come out of and entered a modest hallway with painted green walls.

The servants had many of their own hallways and separate sleeping quarters for those that lived within the manor. I knew these hallways quite well. I used them frequently to move about the manor playing pranks. And more importantly, it was due to them that I managed to escape the fire that had engulfed the mansion in my original life.

I turned several corners and forks and appeared in a long hallway of rooms. The third one from the end was Jasper's.

To my surprise, it opened, and I saw Denise walk out with a tray atop which sat an empty bowl and cup.

"Young master Luca, what are you doing down here?" Denise met my eyes and walked over. Her plaid skirt floated through the hallway.

"I came to check on Jasper's condition," I explained.

"Ah." Denise nodded her head. "He seems to be doing better, but I'm not sure. He said he still feels fatigued."

"I see," I said.

I knew he would succumb to his illness two months from now, so it was doubtful that he was actually feeling better. The worst was yet to come.

"Do you know if it's contagious?" I asked. I remembered something from my original life; a month after Jasper fell ill, I had fallen sick myself. Perhaps I had caught whatever he had but could circumvent the illness's deadly claws? If I could beat it, perhaps so could he?

"No. I don't think so." Denise's brown eyes widened. "I saw him several times, and I feel fine."

I frowned. Denise had originally died in a freak accident about three months from now, and she looked perfectly healthy until then, so perhaps it wasn't contagious.

"Did a doctor see him yet?" I asked.

"No," Denise replied. "Not yet. It doesn't seem that serious to warrant one."

My frown deepened. Had Jasper gotten proper treatment early on and the illness caught in time, perhaps he would have survived.

"That needs to change. Please have a doctor come immediately to inspect him," I ordered. 

"Of course, I'll have one come tomorrow morning," Denise said.

"You can go now. I'm going to go see Jasper," I said.

Denise bowed and walked away.

I felt pleased with myself. Perhaps a proper doctor will figure out what's wrong with Jasper and ensure his survival?

Knock. Knock. 

I tapped on the wooden door to Jasper's ward.

"Jasper, it's me," I called out.

"Oh! Luca! Come in." A tired but otherwise cheery voice sounded.

I entered the room.

It was a modestly sized room. A plain chair, table, dresser, and bed were all tightly packed together. A small window provided light, and a miniature painting of a hillside hung as decoration.

"What are you doing here?" Jasper pulled himself up. Messy ginger hair graced his head, and freckles covered his pale face.

He looked awful. But not nearly as awful as my last memory of him. I remembered how he looked in a coffin. In contrast to that appearance, he looked like the pinnacle of health right now.

"Don't get up for my sake. You're the patient," I said and sat on the lone chair.

"Pft. I'm just sitting up so I can get a better look at your stupid face," Jasper replied.

I smiled. If he could still throw insults, he must be feeling decently alright, at least for now.

Jasper and I had a casual relationship. He didn't have any problem throwing insults my way or chewing me out in private, but he was also loyal. He had never ratted me out despite all the pranks I played. Heck, he had even helped out on half of them.

"What happened? I heard that you fell sick yesterday night," I said.

"Ah, I was probably overworked by you. You should get me a raise. That should get me back on my feet in a jiffy," Jasper said.

I smiled. If only money could solve this.

"Did you go out somewhere or eat anything funny?" I asked.

"No way. I've been cooped up on the estate the last few days."

"Are you being taken care of? Do you need anything?" I asked. "Oh, and I brought you this. It's from the Ashford Bakery." I handed him the long twisted pastry.

Jasper's eyes wrinkled. A grin appeared on his face.

"Who are you? And what have you done with Luca?" Jasper asked.

"What? I'm concerned. I can be concerned," I said.

He waved me off.

"I'm fine. Denise is taking excellent care of me. She brings me tea and even makes me soup herself."

Jasper brushed his ginger hair back and eyed himself in a nearby table mirror.

"I think she fell for my charms," he said.

I scoffed.

Denise always had such a no-nonsense expression. I couldn't imagine her falling for anyone.

Then again, when Jasper had died, she was beside herself. It was the first I'd seen her break down like that.

"I'm glad she's taking good care of you," I said.

But that still didn't save you. Damn it. What did you come down with?

"I hope you're not overworking her. She took on all of my duties in taking care of you. Ah. Right. There's also Remlend. Such a forgettable fellow."

I chuckled. "He is."

I should really bring up his talent with my parents. He'd make for a great spy.

"I'm glad you're still so energetic," I said and got up. "I'll have a doctor look at you tomorrow morning."

"I'm telling you. It's just a bug," Jasper insisted. "Just pay me more and give me less work. I'll be fine soon."

"Tell you what, if you get better soon, I'll see about getting you a raise. A big one. Double what you earn now. But only if you get better," I said.

Who knows, maybe money could motivate him? Jasper was easily the most money-hungry individual that I knew.

I looked back to see his eyes sparkling. I could almost make out the Deux coin currency signs in his eyes.

"Young master Luca, your magnificent existence shines a brightness on the world like no other, and your generosity knows no bounds!" Jasper exclaimed.

I grimaced and looked around. No one was with us. He usually only pulled this flattery crap when others were nearby.

"Sure. Sure. Just get better," I told him and propped open the door.

"I will do everything in my power to get better, so young master Luca doesn't have to worry. Your brilliance–"

I quickly shut the door and got out of his room. I could still hear his stupid flattery even in the hallway, though. I quickly made my escape out of the servants' quarters.

If he can pull all that crap, he's still decently okay.

I frowned and rubbed my temples.

The image of his withered body lying in the casket still burned in my memory. It had been so many years ago for me, but I still remembered that rainy day. He looked so pale and thin. He was unrecognizable from his usual self.

I saw so many caskets that season. Micah, Jasper, Denise. And my grandmother.

I sighed. 

I should go see her soon.

My grandmother from my mother's side was the only grandparent I knew still alive. Unfortunately, she had died from old age, and there was probably nothing I could do to prevent her demise in this lifetime. Still, I regretted not going to see her the day before she passed. She had even requested I come. But I didn't. I wasn't even busy with anything important like the rest of my siblings. I just didn't feel like it that day. And the next time I saw her, she was in a casket.

People die too soon and too easily.

 

Well jeez. I reread this before putting it up and was like.... huh. When's the last time I spoke with my grandparents?

4 months? 6 months? 9 months? Shoot. I should call them. 

45