CH 23 – An Unexpected Pet (Part 1)
1.2k 7 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
// Author's Notes:
 
Early Release! 2x chapter in one day. I was in pretty happy writing mood because I got my 2nd supporter on Patreon. \(^o^)/
They got an extra early release and I decided to bump all my readers here too in celebration.
 
Also, note that I'm going to have POV changes going forward in the story:
*** = Scene change
* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * = POV change

 

A cat. I died all because of a cat??

I stared blankly at my new ceiling. It was a light turquoise color, as were the paneled walls, the two separated by intricate white crown molding. A copper chandelier of uncut crystals hung in the center.

I barely managed to get to day two. And I DIED. Because of CAT!

I pushed my palms against my eyes.

"System, how in the world did I manage to live until age twenty-six in my original life? I'm struggling to make it two days."

[ Welcome to Round 7, Luca. ]

[ To your question, it's a matter of great luck and the help of those around you that you lived till age twenty-six. You lived in the ideal way to survive for so long. It was the right set of conditions. Also, it helped that you didn't put yourself in as many dangerous situations as you are currently doing so. ]

I pulled my hands away from my face.

"System, do you happen to know everything about my life?"

[ Not everything. I know a little about your life before the game started for you, a little more before the game officially starts, and everything that occurred during the game rounds played. ]

"Wait." I sat up in bed. My mind was turning. "Do you also know about this world and what events take place in it?"

[ Of course. My knowledge is somewhat limited before the game's official start in four years. However, I am very knowledgeable about the events during the game. ]

My heart rate sped up.

If this means what I think it means…

"Young master Luca?" Denise's voice sounded from outside. "Can I enter? It's time to get up."

"I'm up. You can enter," I said.

***

Just… What is that?

I stared at the violet foam floating at the top of my tea. There was even a tiny purple design atop the foam.

This really had to be some sort of sick joke by the System.

I took in a whiff.

Ugh. It even smells like the bath that killed me. My stomach turned at the sweet smell.

"Denise, why is there a mini bubble bath in my tea?"

"A bubble bath? Oh no. It's actually a popular drink from the east," Denise said. "That is foamed milk tea with taro. It's delightfully pleasant and delicious."

"I'll take your word for it." I set the cup down. "Denise, please get the carriage ready. And just so you know, no, I will not attend breakfast. And please hurry. Don't worry about dressing me either. I'll take care of it myself."

I got out of bed and splashed water on my face.

I had too many things to get done this morning.

"Now, Denise," I ordered, seeing that Denise was still standing in my room.

She had a slightly dumbfounded expression on her face. It didn't suit her usual self.

"Certainly. Right away, young master." She bowed and rushed out.

[ Charisma : +1 ]

[ Charisma : 8 ]

Oh? That's the first time that this stat went up.

I picked up the violet tea and tossed it in my usual potted plant. My mind raced through all that needed to be done today.

I need to stop by Ebony Alley and buy the phoenix egg before the Daylan servant comes.

It was probably fake and a long shot, but since three Adovorian doctors couldn't even figure out that Jasper was dying, I was willing to make the bet.

And in the worst case, I'll either be out of a large chunk of change or will need to restart and try a different method.

I flung my closet open and threw on the plainest clothes my eyes landed on.

Luckily this version of my world didn't have overly complicated clothing that I would have needed assistance figuring out. I tossed on a pair of black slacks, a white blouse, and the most unadorned jacket I could find.

My eyes rolled, seeing myself in the mirror.

I suppose this would be considered simple by my 19-year-old standards. The black suede jacket was embellished with golden buttons and detailed needlework.

Whatever. It's not like how I look is that important right now.

"System, coming back to your knowledge of the world. Do you know the year in which Anastasia Genuiver took over the Genuiver Duchy?"

I wanted to test the System and a theory I had.

[ Obviously. Anastasia Genuiver will take it over two years from now. Her swearing-in ceremony will be on the third day of fall, assuming the original timeline. ]

A smile grew across my face.

"System, if I ask you more questions about events taking place in the future, will you be able to answer me?"

[ Of course. But only if my knowledge is sufficient. I lack information about pre-game times. ]

[ Also, it's not the future I know about, but the previous rounds. ]

I wanted to laugh. I didn't need to write out and try to memorize the events that would take place in the future. This System was all I needed to open up an endless flow of information and insight.

On the bright side, I had died and restarted my life. So even if someone had read the contents about the future that I had written, it didn't matter. There wouldn't be any repercussions in this version of my life since I was the only one who remembered Round 6 had occurred.

"I will be asking you lots of questions then," I said.

[ Intelligence : +20 ]

[ Intelligence : 37 ]

"WHAT!" I stared at the blue notification screen. "Twenty extra stat points?"

[ That shouldn't be that much of a surprise. You have found a way to store knowledge through another method, aside from your head. Of course, my Intelligence is far higher than yours, and this is but a crumble of the knowledge that I can provide you. 20 is the increased Intelligence based on the information I predict you will utilize. ]

"So, my Intelligence could be far higher?"

[ Indeed. Knowing the right questions to ask will give you superior answers and knowledge. ]

Tsk. So asking about how future events will play out so I can avoid the bad and make a profit on others isn't that impressive?

No. Having 20 extra Intelligence points is still more than even what I started with.

"Fine, I'll figure out what questions I should be asking later."

Right now, I have the present to worry about.

I pulled out a parchment paper and scribbled out quick instructions for Micah regarding the events that would take place at the ball. If I was going to hit up Ebony Alley to buy the egg, I still wanted Micah to have plenty of time to take care of what was needed. In Round 6, he managed to have the waiter's daughter saved right as we pulled up to the ball. It was too last minute. Some breathing room would be nice.

Should I provide a drawing of Bob and Bob the Second? Damn it. I have to since I still don't know their names.

My hand moved quickly, sketching out their faces and writing down any notable features that my artistic skills couldn't capture.

I need to get their actual names next time to avoid this.

I stared at my handi-work. It was bad. It really did look like an ogre and a goblin, as Denise had guessed in a previous round. But it'll do for now.

My eyes landed on a small decorative clock on my table.

I don't have any more extra time to be fussy anyhow. I have a man to throw a dagger at.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

WHOOSH!

Micah stared down at Kaiden, his loyal servant of fifteen years that had practically raised him from a child. A dagger was embedded right in his heart. He was dead.

Micah's green eyes turned and looked at his younger brother Luca who had expertly tossed the dagger and was now running over.

"He had a demonic poison shard. He was going to use it to kill you," Luca explained quickly.

He didn't even seem fazed that he had just killed a man.

"Is that so?" Micah said.

Micah squatted beside his dying attendant and checked his pockets. He felt something in one of them, and with his index and thumb, he pulled out a demonic shard, careful not to let the blade touch himself.

"Oh my goodness," Luca's main guard, Henry, exclaimed. Micah handed the shard over to him to handle.

More guards rushed over, having heard the commotion.

"Please treat him gently," Micah told the guards that had arrived and closed Kaiden's eyes.

Micah had mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, he was saddened that Kaiden had died. He had been like a second father figure to him, after all.

And yet it was probably inevitable.

Micah stood up and walked over to his younger brother.

"Thanks, Luca. You saved my life," he said.

"I haven't yet. Here. Read these. Your and Princess Evelyn's lives are in danger tonight." Luca handed over several parchments of notes and one drawing.

"You… believe me, right?" Luca's expression suddenly changed. He looked worried. He was biting his lip, and his body language appeared unsure.

"Luca, of course, I believe you. When have I not?"

Micah reflected on the countless pranks he had allowed himself to fall for over the years.

"I'll always believe you. And if you ever need any help, I hope you know you can count on me." Micah patted his younger brother's shoulders.

Luca's expression softened, and a smile appeared on his face.

"That's good. I have to run. I need to take care of a few things." Luca rushed off. He wasn't a good runner, so it was more of a brisk walk.

"Henry, aren't you going to follow him?" Micah asked sharply.

"Wha-what?" Henry stammered.

"You are his main guard. Go do your job. Keep my brother safe."

"Yes! Of course!" Henry responded and bounced after Luca. Unfortunately, Luca's physique was so poor that it took Henry but a few lunges to catch up.

Micah's green eyes followed his younger brother until the guards closed the mansion doors behind him.

Luca had always been very particular about his appearance since a young age. He had his attendants spend almost an hour each morning getting him dressed and ready for the day. Or he might just not leave his room.

Then after Micah and Luca had their fight, he had barely left his room in the last three months. And if he did come down, he had avoided Micah and never spoke a word. It was a frustrating three months for Micah.

And yet he came down today with his black hair disheveled, his clothes looking plainer than usual, and he didn't even flinch at having killed someone. Specifically, someone significant and close to Micah.

And then there's this.

Micah read through the documents Luca gave him. The information there wasn't the sort of information his younger brother could have come by so easily.

This isn't the same naive Luca from yesterday.

Micah held in a laugh seeing the poorly done drawing.

Who is this drawing supposed to represent? Well, perhaps some things are still the same.

 

(¬‿¬) Well then....

48