The Thirteenth – Chapter 27 – And she led me on
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, yeah, I wouldn’t have to give up my job. I wouldn’t have to give up Toni. I wouldn’t have to give up my Fridays with the Random Restaurant Rangers. Things would be fine. No, they would be great.

By the time I’d reached the turn off, I was feeling good, actually looking forward to seeing Vaclav. I had nothing to worry about. Nothing at all.

There’s something to be said to driving through the forested country north of the city. Just calming, really. I could understand why Vaclav preferred it up here.

Treed blew by, beyond them the dim lights of houses set well back from the road. People out here were free, really, private, able to disconnect. I should really get a place up here, I thought to myself. A home away from home. A better home. I should talk to Vaclav about that. At least give it a try. He should know something about the cost of real estate out here.

Before I knew it, I’d reached the end of the road, and turned off onto his lane, spotting the old house at the end of it.

Hmmm... I thought to myself. There was a car in the driveway. Did he have a visitor? I wondered if I was interrupting anything.  He hadn’t called back with any issues with me coming up. Well, even if he wasn’t available, I could leave the papers for him to look over. Although to not have a chance to chat with the only hundred-year-old or so vampire I knew would be a small disappointment.

The car I pulled up behind was a little black hatchback, complete with reflective window tinting. I got out, walked around it. There was a parking sticker on the windshield from the local school district.  

It seemed that old Vaclav had gotten himself a new girlfriend. And I wondered to myself, what kind of vampire he’d found this time. Well, too late to go back. And after all, I didn’t have to stay if she was on the lower end of his scale.

I walked up the flagstones, to the big door, and, as Vaclav didn't think much of doorbells, I lifted the big brass knocker and banged it three times

Then I waited, turned to watch the flakes of snow drift down through the dark lit up by the house’s halogens. Pretty, really. I decided to definitely ask him about the local real estate

No answer.

After a couple minutes, I knocked again. Took a look at the mailbox by the door. It was empty and there was more than enough room to put in the papers if I had to.

I was just about to drop them in when the light came on behind the frosted glass of the front door. I straightened and stood waiting for it to open.

I was not surprised, when the door was opened, to see a curvy woman in black, long and straight black hair, long black dress, low cut of course, ample cleavage and full of black lipstick lips.

Totally hot.

She smiled, of course revealing that she was totally a vampire.

“Yes?” she asked with a smile and flash of sharp white teeth..

Another step down, I suspected. I smiled back, but inside I was shaking my head.

“Hi,” I started. “Is Vaclav in?”

She narrowed her gaze, scrutinizing me.

“Does he know you?” Her voice had that low sexy tone, easily enough to send a shiver up my spine, or anyone else’s really, male or female.

“He should.” I decided to keep to business. “He’s the lawyer for the apartment building I manage.”

“Oh,” she told me. “He said something about that.”

“Yes,” I told her. “Aren’t you going to invite me in. It is a bit nippy out here.”

“Oh, yes, of course,” she told me, stepped back and waved. “Please come in.”

“Thanks,” I told her, and entered, brushed my shoes free of snow as she closed the door behind me.

“Let me take your coat,” she offered.

Before I knew it she was very close, her quick and confident hands easily separating me from my winter coat. While her breath was cold and there was something as chilly about her as the weather, I did feel my heart quicken involuntarily in such close proximity.

Yes, regardless of Vaclav’s taste, his girlfriends never ceased to have that effect.

That’s what vampires will do to you, eh? In this world they probably have it easiest in many ways more than most of the re-animated.

 “How was the drive up from the city,” she asked as she took my coat and hung it on the nearby coat rack.

“Actually relaxing,” I told her. “There’s something about getting out of the city that really eases the mind.”

“I know what you mean,” she told me. “I used to love it amongst the hustle and bustle when I lived south of Bloor, but since I- since I started my new life, I find it much more comfortable out here. It’s so very restful.”

“I’m sure,” I told her.

“He’s this way,” she told me, pointed into the darkened house.

“Thanks,” I said, and took in a deep breath.

And she led me on.

0