Chapter 6
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the glare from her monitor started to sting her eyes did Lucy realize that six hours had passed. She stood up to turn on the lights and as she stretched her body, she looked at the browser displaying Google on page twenty along with a number of tabs opened from various websites. “Nothing,” she told herself. “None of these sites tell me anything about what my dream is about. Isn't there anything online, or anywhere? Maybe I should give up. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.”

She returned to her seat and surveyed the various tabs, reading what has been read a dozen times. “If only I can somehow search for the man in my dreams. If only I could figure out a way to pull him out of my head, Or even the girl. But isn't she me? Searching for myself wouldn't work. I'd get nothing. I know nothing about these people even though I feel like I recognize them. But I should, shouldn't I? After all, I've been dreaming about them for so long.”

Going back to Google, she started typing various keywords; 'dreaming of a couple', 'dreams of a girl liking man', 'dreaming of a couple dying', sometimes giving an awkward look at some of the words she was typing. “This better work,” she tells herself.

The results didn't offer much variety, and what new material appeared was of little value. Yet, within this new batch of results, a blog site caught her eye, particularly the title. “Dreaming of the Eternal Lovers?” she read aloud.

 

 

 

 

 

'Like old times?' Johan thought to himself as he drove to the rendezvous point. 'How long has it been since I've gone out with friends? Wendy is right. I'm not getting out as much as I should. Probably beating myself up over nothing. I should really figure out what is going on with my life. But for the time being, at least amend things by going on this outing. I don't know who this Francesca is, but I used to be so friendly that I could not wait to meet new people. This evening will the beginning of a new life.' He exhaled. 'Hopefully.'

After driving for some time, he arrived at his destination as he spots Wendy waving at him. “Hey, Johan,” they run up to the car as it parks. “You made it.”

I said I was going to come,” he said as he stepped out of the car.

You sure did. I'm glad. Though you don't have to be so formal. Why the suit?”

What can I say? I love my suits.”

You could've worn something more casual for tonight. We're not dressed to impress here.”

As he scanned Wendy's camo jacket, white v-neck shirt, and denim jeans, he snickers. “With what you're wearing, you're being casual for at least three people.“

Wendy gave a loud guffaw. “Come on. My friends are waiting to meet you.”

After a minute of walking, both were welcomed by two women. “This is my friend Francesca,” Wendy said as they point to a woman with fair skin, visible pink dimples, eyes large with eyebrows matching in size, and stringy hair. They then point toward the second person, “And this is Hera,” a woman with a pudgy face, pouty lips, strong piercing eyes, a slight orange skin complexion, and blonde hair tied behind the head.

Francesca offered her hand. “It's great to meet you,” which Johan shakes. “Wendy has told me about you.”

I also heard about you,” said Hera with a smile, offering her hand. “It's nice to meet you.” Johan shook with a firm grip.

It's nice to meet you both,” he responded courteously.

Looking sharp, Johan,” Francesca commented.

I guess you could say I'm overdoing it, but what can I say? I'm addicted to looking good.” Everyone laughed joyfully at the quip.

Now that we got to know each other a bit,” said Wendy, “let's get to know each other even more. We have the whole night to ourselves.”

It's better we don't stay too long,” Johan said. “Remember, we got classes tomorrow. This isn't the weekend, you know?”

Johan, relax. That's what we're here for. We can always worry about studies later. Isn't that right Francesca?”

I guess,” Francesca said.

That's right, Johan. Let's just have a good time,“ Hera said.

That's three out of four votes. Sorry, Johan, but looks like you're going to have to stay up tonight. Can you keep up?”

A democratic vote, I see,” Johan said. “I guess I can't fight against the foundation of our country now, can I?” The group laughed once more.

Actually,” Francesca said, “before we begin the night, we have something to announce.” She clasped her hand around Hera's. “We are officially a couple.”

What?” Wendy asked excitedly.

Sorry for keeping this a secret Wendy, but in a weird way, you gave me...” she eyed Hera longingly, “us, the courage to finally come out. I've been seeing Hera for some time and I think now is the opportunity to finally be open about our relationship.”

Oh my goodness, this is amazing! I'm so happy for you. Aren't you happy for them Johan?”

Oh... yes,” he responded. “This is quite the news. Congratulations.”

Thank you,” Francesca said. “We hope that we can be honest with the rest of our friends.”

I don't see why not,” Wendy said. “You should've been honest from the very beginning in my opinion.”

We can't all be as brave as you, Wendy,” said Hera. “There are still those who won't support such a relationship.”

Well, don't you worry. You are among supporters here. Isn't that right, Johan?”

Yes, of course,” Johan said as she straightened his tie. “How about we just continue the night, then? Let's start having a good time.”

Wendy slapped Johan on his back which caused him to flinch. “Good idea. The night won't last all night, so let's make the most of it.”

Johan gave a nervous chuckle. “Wendy, consider what you just said.”

You know what I mean.” Another round of laughter from the group before proceeding to enjoy the sights.

The district was a fairly dense area with tourists, vacationers, and all manner of people from all walks of life enjoying their evening. Restaurants, clothing, knick-knacks, any interest anyone had there was a store waiting for them surrounded by the illuminated giant high-rise buildings that decorated the area.

This place is amazing,” Hera commented.

It sure is,” Wendy said. “I and Johan used to come here all the time back in high school. It's been so long, I feel like everything has changed.”

Don't be ridiculous,” Johan said. “A few stores may have come and gone, but everything is as it was.”

Don't be so analytical. You know what I mean.”

Johan glanced at his surroundings. but saw no difference between the memories he had of the place and the present. Yet, there was a different air about that even he could not deny. “Yeah, I get it. Times have changed, haven't they? To think, high school was just a few years ago. We were waiting for graduation, weren't we? Now it feels like an eternity since.”

I'm new here,” Hera said. “I just arrived from the country. Everything is new to me.”

I bet it is,” said Francesca as she grabbed Hera's hand. Wendy couldn't help but notice as she started giggling and nudging Johan.

What are you doing?” Johan asked stopping their elbow.

Look,” Wendy pointed at Francesca and Hera as they walked ahead of them.

He shifted his eyes. “Oh yeah. That's great. I'm happy for them.”

It is, isn't it?” Wendy said all giddy. “Maybe someday you too will hold hands with someone you love.”

Wendy, please.”

I'm just saying, you know.”

Saying what exactly?”

You know...”

Know what?”

You know!”

No, I do not.”

Oh, I see. You're just a teeny-tiny bit embarrassed.”

Embarrassed about what? Spill it out, Wendy.”

Just take a look at them and don't tell me you don't feel anything.”

Johan turned his attention towards Francesca and Hera, holding hands, smiling, and looking at each other with tenderness. Johan scrunched his eyes and looked away. “I don't know what you mean. I'm just seeing a couple, that's all.”

A couple, huh? Alright, I get it. Then keep watching.” Wendy departed to meet up with their friends as Johan watched. He couldn't hear due to the distance but surmised that they were requesting something from them as they displayed much enthusiasm as they talked. Whatever the request was, it caused them to laugh embarrassingly, waving their hands in disapproval. Wendy continued their urging, showing excitement in their body posture. After looking at each other, Hera went for a kiss on Francesca's cheek.

An incredible shock hit Johan when he witnessed the peck. Wendy continued their childish attitude which seemed to delight the other two. Just as quickly as it happened, Francesca kissed Hera on the lips, causing Wendy to applaud and return enthusiastically back to Johan.

I can't believe they actually did it! Wasn't it amazing?” Johan just stood there without answering back, looking around him with agitation. Wendy pointed at him, “See, look at that. Your face says it all. Now tell me, what do you really want?“

Johan responded by turning around and walking away. Wendy's excitement was now replaced with confusion as they get in front of him. “What's wrong?”

Letting go of his tie, “I'm not feeling well. I guess I haven't recuperated from that online excursion from last night.”

But that's why we're out and about. You need some fresh air.”

What I need is to go home and rest. Excuse me.” He continued walking away leaving Wendy puzzled. As they watched Johan stride with his hands in his pockets, a realization came to them. They intercepted him once more, “Look, I'm sorry, okay. I was just teasing you. I didn't figure it was going to trigger something.”

I'm just feeling unwell, okay,” he said desperately. “I just want to go home.”

Johan, I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just having a bit of fun.“

Wendy, I'm going home, okay? Just enjoy yourself.”

But I want us to all hang out together. I was really hoping you can meet-”

Wendy, please!” he said so strongly that Wendy backed away from instinct. Now making himself forcefully clear, Wendy could only watch as he went his own way.

Upon reaching his vehicle, a glance in the rear-view mirror showed Wendy in the distance, still eyeing him with concern. Johan pulled out of the parking spot and headed for the road.

He was breathing heavily. He could feel sweat emerging all over his body. His hands trembled on the steering wheel. “What is this?” he asked himself. “What am I experiencing? Why does it feel like my soul is trying to escape my body?” Despite only driving for a few minutes, he felt so severely anguished that he had to park the car.

He covered his face as he reclined the seat. “Denial will do nothing. What is this jealousy that is inside of me? Who is it? Who is that person that I am searching for? I don't know anyone else. I have no interest in anyone. So why do I feel like this?”

He closed his eyes and once again the one who was always there to welcome him appeared. “Is it you? Have I been chasing you all this time? Have I been in denial for so long? But you are not real. You are just a figment of my imagination. You don't exist!” He reset the position of his seat. “What do I want? What is this that I desire? I want to know!”

A trembling sensation was on his chest. It was an awkward humming that drilled right down to his heart. “Why must I suffer so much! Why must I go through this?” He clutched his chest as the vibration intensified. “Go away! Just go away!” He pulled so hard that his phone jumped out of his breast pocket and onto the floor, vibrating and emitting a buzzing sound.

Picking up the phone, a groan escaped him as he opened Wendy's message.

'Johan, I'm sorry for anything I might have done. I hope you feel well.'

An ill-feeling emitted within him as he placed the phone on the dashboard's phone charger, only to notice a second notification sent an hour ago from Gmail. He entered the app where he found an email titled, “About your dreams” sent from a person calling themselves Lucy.

2