Chapter 10
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before he would question why he bothers to carry a phone around and now Johan could not remove himself from it as he looked forward to his daily chats with Lucy, the one who shared the same dreams.

Johan was naturally curious, always wondering about everything that was around him. He was the type that expected an explanation for everything before he could be convinced. To him, there was always an answer to everything. Yet, ever since he met Lucy online, his perception had drastically changed.

Johan: These dreams are so crazy, but none seem to answer why we have them together.

Lucy: I looked online and turns out that there are cases of people sharing dreams.

Johan: Those mostly come from sites about spirituality and religion. They have no bearings in science.

Lucy: Science isn't everything, you know. Maybe it is something spiritual. You never know.

Johan: I'm not one to believe in the supernatural, but I guess it's a nice thought.

Lucy: Don't be so uptight, Johan. Learn to relax and just enjoy life.

Johan: Maybe you're right.

Despite whatever misgivings he had about the dreams, he could not deny that he shared them with Lucy. His acceptance of this led to his curiosity about Lucy herself as they both slowly revealed information about themselves.

Lucy: So what do you do for fun?

Johan: I like to write.

Lucy: You mean like books?

Johan: More like short stories.

Lucy: Do you want to become a writer?

Johan: No. They're just for fun. I'm not seriously considering writing as a profession.

Lucy: Oh, 'profession'. You really are a writer, using such big words.

Johan: Considering how people write nowadays, I guess I am, haha.

And as time went on, he would share tidbits about his personal life.

Lucy: That's the school you attend? This is so weird. I just visited that place recently.

Johan: Are you considering coming here?

Lucy: My dad would rather I go to a university.

Johan: Can your father afford it?

Lucy: Oh yeah. He has a successful business. I can go to whatever college I want.

Johan: You should. If I had the chance, I would go for it.

Lucy: But it must be awesome to go to college. I mean, I can go to college right now. My Dad can pay for it. But I don't just want to jump into it. I feel I'll miss having a normal life if I do.

Johan: Yeah. College can be a real drag. I sometimes feel that I've entered way too early. Everything felt simpler back in public school. Now I'm responsible for everything by myself.

Lucy: Well, don't give up. I'm happy for you. I mean, that's the college experience, at least I assume.

These simple chats meant the whole world to Johan to the point that it was affecting him in other aspects of life. No matter where he was or how much he tried to pay attention, his mind would play back the conversations he had with Lucy, anticipating the next time he could log on.

It came to a point where even his home life had become enveloped by these online meetings as Wendy attested one evening.

Johan, it's your turn to make dinner.”

It is? Time sure does fly by when you're having fun, huh?”

You've also missed breakfast as well. You owe me three breakfasts and three dinners.”

What do you mean? You know we make each other's meals every other day.”

That's the thing. You haven't been making any meals for the past week.”

No way. I'm sure I've been keeping to my schedule.”

Then what was the last thing you made?”

Oh... uhh...”

Johan thought for a moment as Wendy crossed their arms and said, “What is going with you lately? You've been neglecting chores, you don't seem to be studying, and look at you. You don't even iron your clothes anymore, something you prided yourself in. Look at your shirt, it's so wrinkly.”

So I forgot to iron my shirt. Don't make such a big deal out of it.”

That's not the weirdest part. You've had that phone of yours plastered to your face, which is something I've never seen you do. You're the last person I expected to be a phone zombie.”

Phone zombie?”

You know, those people who always have their faces in front of their phones?”

That's not me.”

And what's that on your hand?”

My phone, but it's not against my face.”

And what were you going to do once you entered your room?”

I'm just going to talk on the phone with a friend.”

What friend?”

A friend, that's all.”

And for how long?”

Wendy, what is this? Why are you asking me all these questions?”

A sinister smile appears on Wendy's face. “Johan, be honest with me. Do you have a girlfriend?”

No,” said Johan neutrally.

Wendy's smile dropped. “Okay, I'm going to ask again. Johan, do you have a girlfriend?”

No,” Johan responded with a bit more indignation.

Wendy exhaled. “Alright, smarty pants. Then tell me why are you neglecting everything to be on the phone all the time?”

I'm not on the phone all the time. I make time for chores.”

Except you haven't. Look, if you have a girlfriend or even a friend, that's great, but you're spending too much time on the phone.”

What is this accusation, and what is this about 'even a friend'? So what if I missed a few dinners and breakfast?”

That was the deal we made. You make breakfast and dinner one day so the other can continue studying or whatever.“

You're exaggerating. In fact, I'll make it up to you. I'll make dinner and breakfast for the next three days. How about that?”

Make it four and then I'll forgive you.”

Fine, fine. Just let me go into my room.”

Alright but you better be in that kitchen by eight.”

Okay, okay, stop acting like my mom, will you? Oh... sorry about that.”

Just make dinner tonight, okay?“ And they finally remove themselves from the doorway.

The eighth hour came and as promised, Johan was in front of the stove, tossing around a pan full of fried rice, peas, and chicken strips. A great portion was placed on a bowl which Wendy received graciously. Plentiful portions scooped up by a large spoon were eaten with delight. “Finally,” they commented before another bite.

You really missed my cooking?”

I have to admit you cook better than I do. Your food is amazing compared to mine.”

Stop teasing me. You can find these recipes online yourself.”

But I can't seem to get the same result. I don't know how you do it. I wish you were making meals every day.”

As Wendy continued to gorge on their bowl, Johan was in thought as he stared at his rationally portioned bowl. “Have I really been neglecting my chores?”

Pretty much,” responded Wendy wiping their mouth with a napkin. “You really like that girl, don't you?”

Will you stop saying that?”

But it is a girl, isn't it?”

Yes but that doesn't automatically mean she's my girlfriend. We're just online acquaintances.”

'Acquaintances'. Nobody uses that word. Just confess already, you like her.”

I don't even know her.”

You've been talking to her, right?”

Technically, we've been chatting online.”

What's the difference?”

Text. I've been chatting by text. I don't even know what she sounds like.”

Doesn't matter. You know what she looks like. That's enough.”

Actually, I don't. We don't use avatars.“

No, I meant when you rescued her.”

Rescued?”

Yeah. When she was about to slip in the pond, you said you got a good look at her.”

That was a different person. She's long gone now at this point.”

So you didn't ask her out?”

Of course not. Why would I?”

Johan, you dunce.”

What's with the profane language now?”

Wendy sets their empty bowl aside. “You admitted to yourself that she was beautiful, something you've never done with a girl, at least as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure I'm right in guessing you never have.”

No, I haven't.”

Don't say that with such conviction.”

I didn't say it with conviction.”

In either case, you shouldn't be proud of that. Listen, I know my opinion doesn't matter considering I'm gender fluid right now.”

Uhh... is that how that works?”

Yeah... I think. Well, whatever creature I am, I can confidently say you are a handsome guy. You're pretty good-looking, you know.”

I guess I'll take your word for it.”

Not just mine. I'm sure many girls have asked you out before.“

I don't think so.”

You haven't been asked out on a date by any of the girls on campus?”

Not that I can recall.”

That doesn't sound right. Some of my friends say that you rejected them.”

I did? I don't recall such a thing.”

A confused look was now on both of them. It was as if each was speaking a language the other could not understand. Regardless, Wendy continued, “The point I'm trying to make is that you're clearly desiring to be with someone.”

I'm fine being single.”

Then what is this business about the phone? Why are you chatting so much with this girl whose only a friend? You don't even chat with me for more than five minutes.”

And I suppose this conversation has been going on for seconds.”

And you're about to end it. I know it. This is how you are. How you know it.”

Johan groaned. “Listen, this person is just an online acquaintance. It is not the girl I saved earlier, it's someone else. We're just having fun chatting. But very well, I'll admit that I was neglecting my chores. I'll rectify that, just like I did tonight. All of this is just a change in my person.”

A change in your person?”

Correct.”

As in a person in love?”

An exasperated groan escaped his mouth. “If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to my room and start making my schedule to make up for my lapse in contribution to the household. And if so choose to converse with my friend, then it is none of your business what our conversation entails.” He gets off his seat, takes his bowl, and headed toward his room.

After the door shuts, he sits in front of his computer and laid his meal on the desk. 'What is up with Wendy? He's acting so weird, being all in my face. Well, even back in high school, Edwin was like that all the time as well. But never about relationships. What gave him the idea that I was in a relationship? Ridiculous. I don't even know Lucy.'

His eyes turned to his phone sitting on his bed. 'Love? I can't love anyone. Not anyone normal at least.' He got up only to lay on his bed. 'Do I really want to be alone? I mean, I don't have any friends anymore. They're all gone. They all left me. I'm alone. I thought this was how things are supposed to be when you leave high school. Starting a new life.' He placed his hand on his chest and felt the gentle beating of his heart pressing against it. 'She's just a figment of my imagination. She doesn't exist. How can I be in love with someone that is imaginary? Unless she really is from the past. That would mean reincarnation. It would be nice if it was. I mean, for those who died, it would be comforting to know that they will return in some manner.

'A youthful man falls in love with a young girl. A terrible event leads to their doom. Before they died, they swear to meet each other in the afterlife. Then they reincarnate in the present.' He chuckled. 'How about that? Imagine if the guy who died was me, his reincarnated self. Then that would make Lucy the reincarnation of the girl. Imagine if we were destined lovers and didn't know about it. It's too good to be true.' He laughed at the notion as he rolled to the side. The laughter was getting more hoarse, more warped with every guffaw. The laughter slowed down as it was turning into a sob and tears started flowing from his eyes.

His eyes widen as he clutched his pillow. 'This feeling... again. This is... this is...' He got up to his feet only to lean against the wall as if a great weight was placed on him. Wiping the tears from his eyes, 'I don't want to feel like this anymore. I don't want to be alone. If only you were here with me, in reality, rather than in my dreams. I would bear the weight of the world on my shoulders for a chance to be with you.'

A buzzing noise emitted from his bed. Going through the sheets he found his phone with that familiar name on the notifications. The weight pressing him down had vanished, a sense of euphoria cured his temporary melancholia, and a feeling of restoration had overwhelmed him.

Reincarnation...” he whispered to himself as he went into the chat where Lucy welcomed him as always.

Reincarnation...” he whispered once more before beginning their next conversation.

2