Chapter 11
17 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was as beautiful as it was confusing. A feeling of longing that lasted since the beginning of time now meeting in this current moment. The idea of falling in love was something Lucy never thought about, nor prepared for.

'Am I discovering love for the first time?' she thought to herself as she looked at the night sky from her window. The planet, still glowing brightly, had moved further apart from the tiny star. An inevitable occurrence that she expected, but the distancing still felt melancholic to her. There was no power that she could call upon to alter their positions and keep them together forever. Their destiny was to part.

“Lucy,” the monotonous aggravated voice called to her, “I'm going out. I won't have time to make dinner. Order something for tonight.”

Lucy desired to run outside of her room and catch her mother before she left, but she just sat by the window while hearing the front door open and close. “She wouldn't have cared, anyway.” She sighed. “I wish I could talk to my mom about this.”

From the corner of her eye, a glint of light had caught her attention. The light that shot off from the metal corner of her flute's case called for her. “Since she's not home, I might as well.”

She took out her prized instrument and met the flute's lips with hers. Gentle wind coos into the cold steel to produce a sweet hum. A sweet melody starts to emit, the notes flew into the air like butterflies. She moved across the room as if on a field in the middle of the day, the slow and steady tempo now increasing a bit. Her feet followed the rhythm as the sweet tune invited her for a dance. She closed her eyes and opened her mind to allow the stage before her unfolding.

Her bare feet swept the barley around as her dress fluttered in the wind that carried her notes throughout the valley. The sun's warmth brightened the clear lake that glistened like a great blue pearl. Lucy danced and played carelessly, letting the mood of the music take over her body. She swung from one side and took a leap to the other. There was so much vigor and spirit in her that she could not help but laugh from joy.

She danced her way toward a small cottage where a handsome young man waited with a smile. He offered his hand and she accepted with glee. He raised his arm and she began to spin. Her dress expanded from the wind as she twirled without a care in the world. After a few more spins, she decided to take initiative by pulling him along for a dash. hopping over rocks and wooden fences, taking strides down hills, and finally arriving at a clearing. She took his other hand and hopped in a circular motion. He gave in to her whims and hopped along. The world whirled around them as they peered into each other's eyes. A small misstep had caused him to trip without warning and incapable of letting go, both tumbled to the ground.

Both laughed at his clumsiness, one that he intended to turn into his fortune. His hands stroked her cheek causing her to blush, but she could not turn away. She had no desire to as she allowed herself to be pulled in while closing her eyes.

A cold and hard sensation emitted through her lips.

Opening her eyes and realizing what she was doing to her flute, she pulled herself from it. She surveyed the room and confirmed that she returned to reality.

Her lips were cold from the steel of the flute but began to warm up from her finger.

She headed toward her desk, grabbed her phone, and searched for her father's number. Before she could dial the number, she dropped her arm. “No, he's not going to care. It's pointless talking to him. But I got to talk to someone.” Pulling her phone up again, she found the list of numbers had scrolled. Now Jenny was appearing in place of her father. Only a brief moment passed before she pressed her name.

“So how'd it go?” was the first thing Jenny blurted out.

“Huh?”

“Did you ask him out?”

Lucy grumbled. “Jenny, what are you thinking?”

“I told you to call me back as soon you confessed your love for him.”

“There is no 'him'. I don't like boys.”

“Okay. So did she say yes?”

“Jenny, knock it off. I didn't call you because of that. I need some help, okay?”

“If it's homework, you can forget about it. I suck at homework and I hate it. If I were president, I would ban it. By the way, can you help me with mine?”

“Not homework. I'm talking about... well... let me put it this way. I have a friend that likes a guy.”

“Is it me?”

“No, someone else.”

“You have another friend?”

“What makes you think I don't?”

“Because you said so earlier at school.”

“Will you just listen to me? I know another girl who likes a boy, but they only ever talked online. She has strong feelings for him and thinks she's in love.”

“OH MY GOSH! I KNEW IT! Who is it?”

“Knock it off, Jenny. Just listen to my story.”

“Okay, fine. Tell me about this 'friend'.”

Lucy grumbled once more before continuing. “I want your opinion. What should they do?”

“Go out on a date.”

“But they've only talked online.”

“She should ask him out anyway.”

“They don't even know what they look like.”

“That doesn't matter. They go to the same school, right? They should just meet up at lunch or something.”

“Actually, he goes to another school. I think he's one of those geniuses who skipped grades.”

“That doesn't matter either. Just have her tell him that she likes him and they should meet up on Saturday. Simple.”

“Just like that?”

“They've been talking for a long time, right? They probably got to know each other a lot. So it's time to finally meet up.”

“I don't know about that. I mean, I hardly- I mean, she's only chatted with him.”

“But she likes him, right? Then the first step is to simply confess. If he likes her back, then meet up. If not, then just stay friends. That's all there is to it.”

“You really think so?”

“I know so. Trust me, I'm an expert on these things. Now go and tell him you like him.”

Lucy rolls her eyes. “Alright, I get it. I think I got enough advice. I'll talk to you later.”

“Tell me all the details, okay?”

“Goodbye, Jenny,” and hangs up.

She could feel her heart beating when pressing her hand on her chest. A short subtle breath escaped her. She closed her eyes and saw the smiles of the young girl and the young man, dancing happily.

“Will I ever stop crying?” she said softly as her eyes began to water.

0