Chapter 27
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The smell of freshly baked bread, sauteed eggs mixed with sausage, and a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice welcomed Wendy when they sat at the dining room table.

"That should finally make up for the breakfast I missed," Johan said.

"And dinner?"

"Tonight will be the final night."

"Such a shame. You cook better than me, you know. I guessed I got spoiled." Johan laughed before proceeding to eat his breakfast as Wendy continued, "But I'm glad you're feeling better. Much better in fact."

"Was I really that bad?"

"For so long. You've been so depressed that I thought you were going to die any moment from grief. But looks like you're fully recovered."

"Yeah, I was out of it for a while, wasn't I?"

"So what did you do?"

"What do you mean?"

"You did something, didn't you? You talk to someone, maybe saw a psychologist?"

"That sounds quite rude of you to say, getting into people's business like that."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry into things."

"Just don't worry about it too much. Everything is going to be okay going forward. I feel like I've finally sorted things out."

"Well, if there is a downside, it would be better if you kept making breakfast." Johan chuckled in response.

As Wendy continued to enjoy Johan's breakfast, their phone started to ring which prompted them to get up from the table and head toward the couch.

"Hey, what's up? ... Oh really... yeah, sure, I'll come... Hmm... Johan?.... Yeah, I'll let him know... Okay, see you then." They leave the phone back on the couch and return to the table. "That was Francesca. She said they wanted your opinion on some men's clothing."

"My opinion?"

"Yeah. They were wondering if you had time to go shopping with them."

"I'm sorry but who is this 'they' you are referring to, if I may ask?"

"She said it was for someone's wedding but she wanted opinions on what he should wear. They figured you'd know more about it than me."

"He? Wait, I'm getting confused."

"Well I don't know who he is, but she said they wanted you to accompany him to figure out what they should pick out since she can't figure it out." Johan was further perplexed as he gave Wendy a confused look. "Oh, that's right, you weren't part of that conversation. One of Francesca's siblings is getting married and they want some opinions about what to wear."

"Oh. I guess that makes sense. So they actually considered you for this advice?"

"Hey now, just because I wear jeans and this striped shirt underneath a flannel jacket doesn't mean I don't know a thing about fashion."

"Is that so?"

"Well, I know some bit, at least enough to get their attention. Anyways, I'm going shopping with them later. Come along with us. They could use some advice about what the groom should wear."

"I'm interested in clothes for myself. I don't know what anyone else would like."

"Any advice is good advice."

"Not likely. I simply look for what I look good in. I'm a bad judge of character."

"Regardless, this is a good chance to get out, so let's get out."

"Sorry but I'm going to decline."

"Do you have plans today?"

"No, not really. Maybe take a stroll this morning."

"So you have nothing to do?"

"That's an activity, isn't it?"

"But a bad excuse. Come on, Johan. They need you."

"No, they don't. Let them just talk to the store clerk for a recommendation. I sometimes do that."

"But they wanted you to come with them. That was the point you are missing."

"I'm sorry Wendy, but I'm not interested."

"And you're not giving me a good reason."

"Just accept the fact that I'm not going."

"I'm just saying, they invited you and the old you couldn't wait to meet new friends."

He groaned. "Are you still harping on the past? On our high school selves? Why do you bring up the past so much? We're supposed to be moving forward in life, not back."

"Listen, Johan, I'm glad to hear you are moving on, but I'm worried about you. I mean, you're so different now."

"As opposed to you?"

"Alright, I get it, but your difference is more from within."

"That's called growing up."

"Sounds more like separating yourself from everyone else. I mean, you're so happy-go-lucky every now and again but a chance to make new friends and you're back to your depressed self."

Johan dropped his fork on his plate. "That's enough. Everything is fine, okay? I've had some issues and they were dealt with. Everything is settled. I fixed the matter, okay? Now please stop trying to pry into my life."

"Whoa, okay, okay..." Wendy relented. "I didn't mean to offend you."

"Offend, huh? Everything is offensive nowadays." Johan paused momentarily. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean that." Taking his plate and dropping it on the sink, "I'm going on my stroll right now," and headed toward the door.

"But what about Francesca and Hera?"

"If you insist, just take some photos and text me. I'll look them over and give you my thoughts," and stepped out.

As he walked on the sidewalk, 'Everything is fine, huh? The matter is settled, is it? I've resolved everything, right?' He exhaled while raising his head. 'I wonder how long will it take before I get used to the loneliness. How long will it take before I can move out on my own? How long will it take before I forget about... about her. Only then will I finally get rid of all this anguish.'

 

 

 

 

 

Holding her forehead with a look of disgust, Carry straddles into the living room.

"Oh..." she groaned before spotting Lucy placing empty champagne cans into a garbage bag. "Don't bother me, please. I got such a hangover. I've laid enough... I mean, I've HAD enough. Ugh. I'm going outside and get some air, maybe some breakfast. Are my clothes okay? Am I wearing shoes?" No response from Lucy. "Okay, I'm going now."

Carry proceeded to head toward the door but a tug on her blouse was preventing her from moving forward.

"Mom, I need to have a word with you," Lucy said.

"I told you not to bother me now. I got such a headache."

"But it feels like I never see you for more than a few minutes. I don't even remember the last time we bonded."

"Lucy, my head."

"Mom, please."

"Let go of me. I'm not in the mood to play."

"I'm not playing, I'm serious. I'm going through some things and I need to talk to someone."

"Let go of me. I'm your mother, alright?" Carry attempted to pry herself off from Lucy who was now holding on to her arm. The tugging was getting stronger but not a single finger would loosen from Lucy's grip.

"Mom, please. I need to talk to you about something important." Carry was not shy to show how desperate she was to have Lucy let go of her as she pushed her daughter as hard as she could. This surprising act caught Lucy off guard as she let go and fell back onto the carpet. As Carry saw her child getting up, with tears in her eyes, she turned around and took her leave.

Lucy got up and dusted herself only to sit down once again to control her emotions. It was at this time that she heard her phone ringing in her room. Wiping her remaining tears, she proceeded to answer the call.

"Jenny?" she answered.

"Hey, Lucy. How are you?"

"Jenny, I don't feel like talking right now."

"Not that good, huh?"

"Yeah. If you can understand how I'm feeling, please don't call me for the-"

"So how'd it go?"

Lucy groaned. "I told you, I don't want to talk about it."

"But you met him, right?"

"Jenny, I don't want to talk about-"

"So you didn't meet him?"

"Jenny, I'm trying to tell you that I'm not-"

"Did you meet him or not?"

"Jenny, are you listening to-"

"Oh, you DID meet him? I can tell by the sound of your voice."

"Will you please be quiet!?" Lucy said loudly enough that Jenny did not respond. After exhaling, "Jenny, I-" Lucy paused for a moment before responding, "What are you doing right now? Can we hang out today?"

"Oh, you bet! Let's go to the shopping center!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lucy arrived at the shopping center where she found a girl with shades on wearing what can be described as a bra with a see-through mesh and shorts that were so trimmed that the straps of her underwear were displayed prominently.

Lucy looked around her surroundings confused before she heard, "What's up, Lucy?" Jenny's voice was heard, thinking she was behind but only when a hand grabbed her shoulder did she realize who the provocatively dressed girl was when she removed her sunglasses.

"Jenny?" Lucy asked as she stared at her choice of clothing, or specifically what it lacked.

"Hey, have you been crying?" Jenny asked.

"No," Lucy said now facing her properly, "why do you ask?"

"Nothing, I guess."

"Okay then. Anyway, have you been here before?"

"Dozens of times. You got to try this popcorn shop. They have all kinds of flavors."

"Sure, that sounds great."

With great enthusiasm, Jenny enters the district and Lucy quietly follows.

Before heading toward their destination, with much enthusiasm, Jenny gave Lucy a tour of the area. Pet shops, clothing stores, and even an electronic store were the stops they both took. She didn't have much money but sharing her experience with Lucy was enough to satisfy her. Her positive energy had an effect on the gloomy Lucy who eventually started to smile and laugh as they saw all the wonderful items on display.

They eventually find their way toward a quant shop called 'Pop Magic'. A rather large menu with different varieties of popcorn flavors welcomed them. After sorting through the menu, both ordered their preferred flavor and sat on the bench outside.

"I didn't even know they had popcorn with cheese and bacon," Lucy commented as she ate from her bucket.

"You should try the chocolate sundae," Jenny replied as she tilted the bucket toward Lucy who accepted the offer.

"This is good. I should order some next time I'm here." Both smiled sharing each other's buckets.

As both enjoyed their snacks, a couple walked out of the popcorn shop, holding hands, with the man saying something to the woman's ears that caused her to giggle. The smiles on their faces as they embraced each other did not escape Lucy. Even she surmised just how much in love they were.

"Hey!" A snap from Jenny's fingers interrupted Lucy's concentration.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I got distracted by something."

Jenny gave Lucy a skeptical look. "Anyway, I'm planning on bringing Jonah here someday. You know, when he finally has the guts to finally ask me out. He's cute but he's a bit dumb, you know? I sometimes wonder if I'm the one who has to ask him out, but mom says only alphas do that and boys don't like alpha girls. I still don't know what that means, though. Must be one of those things I'll learn eventually."

"Really..." Lucy replied in a disinterested tone. Her attention was on her surroundings, looking at all the people around in the shopping area and their activities. A grasp on her shoulder caused her to flinch as many kernels of popcorn flew from her bucket.

"What's the matter?" Jenny said as she let go of Lucy's shoulder.

"You scared me."

"You're kind of out of it."

"I was just looking around."

"Well, I want your opinion. I feel like I've done everything Jonah has asked of me. I feel like I'm running out of ideas here."

"You're asking the wrong person. I wouldn't know anything about boys."

Jenny leaned in close to an uncomfortable distance causing Lucy to inch away. "Why are you looking at me like that for?"

"You say that, even though you have a boyfriend."

Lucy gasped. "I most certainly do not."

"'I most certainly do not?' Wow, you even sound like an adult."

"I don't! I never said I did! When did I say that!?"

"Whoa. Chill, Lucy. You're getting worked up."

"Only because you're being rude and getting in my business when you should be minding yours, okay?"

Lucy's discontent attitude was an attempt to divert attention away from her but all it did was give Jenny a good chuckle. "Wow, you really like that guy. I'm so jealous of you."

"There is no 'guy'. I don't like anyone. I don't like boys, okay? And girls too, in case you're going there because I know you are."

"Did you meet him?"

A gasp escaped her once more as Lucy's eyes widen and she raised her hand to her heart. "Uhh... met who?"

"You know who. Did meet him or not?"

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"Do you think I'm dumb? You know what my mom said. She told you to meet him."

"She told you!? I mean... uhh..." Jenny was smiling throughout this whole ordeal, irritating Lucy and making her realize that the charade was over. "I met him on Saturday," she said matter-of-factly. Jenny began to clap with glee which Lucy puts a stop to when she grabbed her hands. "Nothing happened, okay? We just talked. I met him at the train station and we talked."

"Yeah, that's the start. What happened when he took you to dinner?"

"He didn't take me to dinner."

"Really? So you just went to his place afterward."

"No, I didn't. I took the bus home."

"Wait, he didn't offer to drive you home?"

"Because he felt uncomfortable. That's what he said. He felt uncomfortable, and I kind of was too, so it was best if I didn't even if he asked."

"Yeah, that's normal. Of course, it's uncomfortable at first, but you tend to get used to it later on. I bet your second date is going to be much better."

"That wasn't a date, and we're never seeing each other again."

"What do you mean? I thought everything was going well."

"Jenny, I'm never going to understand you. As I said before, he's like ten years older than me. He's an adult. He's not allowed to be dating a kid like me."

"With that attitude, I'm sure."

"If it convinces you, I guess."

"I don't get why you keep beating yourself up. You keep saying you can't be with him and how you're still a kid. But you like him, don't you?"

"I don't even know anymore."

"But I thought you chatted with him all night long."

"That was before I found out who he was. That's no longer happening."

"Really? So that's it. It's over?"

"Yeah..." Lucy looked down at her bucket and all the pieces that fell on the ground. "It's over, I guess."

"Wow. You really loved him, didn't you?"

Lucy's attention was right back on Jenny. "Love? I didn't say love."

"But you liked him, right?"

"Yeah, but I didn't say love."

"You didn't say you liked him either."

"Huh?"

"Earlier, I asked if you liked him and you didn't even answer."

"What are you saying?"

"Do you love him or not?"

"I didn't say I love him."

"But do you love him or not?"

"Jenny, what are you doing?"

"Just answer the question. Do you love him?"

Lucy could feel the sweat emerging from her face. She tried to control her breathing by putting her hand on her chest but feeling the rapid beating of her heart furthered her discomfort. "I don't want to talk about him anymore. I just want to move on from it."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, that's so. It's over. I don't want to think about this anymore."

Jenny's smug smile returned. "Alright, fine. Then we won't talk about him anymore."

Lucy exhaled. "Good."

"Just give me his number."

"What?"

"You have his number, right? Oh, wait, you chatted on Google. Okay, give me his email."

"Why do you want his email for?"

"To ask him out on a date. What else?"

"I thought I made it clear that he's an adult. Kids shouldn't be dating adults."

"Yes, kids, like you, not me."

"You're still a kid."

"If you want to call yourself a kid, go right ahead, but I'd like to think that I'm more mature than you."

"You're not serious, right? In fact, I'm sorry to say, but I'm questioning what exactly your mom is telling you. I'm not saying she's a bad person but don't you think she's giving you bad advice?"

"Don't bring my mom into this."

"I'm just saying that you might get in trouble, real trouble. Imagine if the police find out an adult tricked you into going out with them."

A look of dissatisfaction and disgruntlement was on Jenny's face. "Then call the police."

"What?"

"Call the police then. If you think this guy is a danger to everyone, then call the police. You don't like my mom and think she's a bad influence? Call the police. It wouldn't be the first time."

"Jenny, what are you saying?"

"That you keep saying how bad this guy is, even though by the sound of it, he sounds pretty alright. I mean, if he was trying to kidnap you and take advantage of you, why didn't he do it then? Why didn't he invite you into his car? Why did he say he didn't want to see you ever again? If he's such a bad guy who's trying to take you away, why did he stop talking to you? That doesn't sound like a kidnapper. It sounds more like you're just being a brat. As my mom says, it's him who probably 'dodged a bullet.'"

A million thoughts were running through Lucy's head and yet not a single one gave her the counter she needed. A new thought process was now triggered as Lucy's confusion was now deepened.

With a croak in her voice, "That's because he isn't. He isn't a kidnapper or a creep. Johan is actually... one of the nicest people I ever met." Lucy sniffed. "I'm sorry but I have to go now." Leaving behind her bucket of popcorn, Lucy proceeded to exit the shopping center.

As Jenny watched her companion distance herself, 'Johan? What kind of weird name is that?'

1