Chapter 40
17 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Johan parted the curtains to see the blue skies before him. The clouds had parted to make way for the sun to dry the world as the puddles evaporated into the sky. He sighed before saying, “I better get to class,” and stepped out of the room.

"Morning, Wendy," he announced but the only acknowledgment he got is a look of perturbance. "Did you make breakfast? I thought you wanted me to be in charge of it from now on."

"How about we just make our own meals from here on?" Wendy responded.

"Okay. I guess I'll make myself something to eat then."

He proceeded to the kitchen and rummaged the fridge. "I don't know what I want right now. What did you make? Maybe I'll make something similar. I promise I won't try to outshine you." No response from Wendy, simply continuing to stare. "I'm only joking, Wendy."

"Johan, are you having a mental breakdown?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"I'm not sure what's going on with you, Johan, but clearly this is not healthy, and I don't think this is merely stress from mid-terms, especially since they're over with."

"Yeah, I was a bit stressed, wasn't I? But now things are going to be okay."

"You said that before and nearly lost your mind. I don't get you anymore. You're like a completely different person."

"Are you saying I'm not predictable anymore?"

"In a way, kind of, but that's not what I meant."

"Well, things are changing now. Things can't stay the same forever. We're adults now, living on our own. We are still going to school just like before, but this is college not high school. Our parents aren't here to comfort us. We have to live by our own means now."

"Is that really it? Are you just afraid of growing up?"

Johan closed the refrigerator door, "I think I'll just buy something on the way to school. I'll see you later."

He grabbed his bag and headed for the door. "Wait, Johan," Wendy called him and approached him. "If you want to talk, I'm here for you. No matter what it is, you can tell me anything."

Johan smiled back and said, "No, Wendy, there's no need," and headed out.

Entering the garage, 'Wendy's been jumpy for some time. Maybe I have been acting crazy in front of her. In fact, I've said some things I regret now. I wonder what I can do to make up for it.'

Once he entered his car, he exited the garage and rode it up to the sidewalk.

He looked to his left, all clear.

He looked to his right, no car incoming.

He looked to his left once more and is taken aback for a second before uttering, "Margaret?" who was right in front of the driver side window waving at him. She was speaking but all he could hear was a muffled voice.

Cracking the window a bit, "Johan, what a coincidence to run into you."

"Coincidence?"

"I was just taking a walk and you appear before me."

"Yeah, sure..."

Margaret stood by, smiling, clasping her hands together. "You know, it rained yesterday. Lots of water everywhere. Puddles on the corners and all that. Why, a girl can slip and fall if she's not careful, especially when she's wearing high heels. Quite expensive high heels. It would be a shame to have them ruin due to the muck around here."

Johan sighed, "What the heck. I'm in a good mood today." Hearing the passenger side door unlock, Margaret gleefully walks around the hood of the car and enters the vehicle. With the door closed, Johan once again checked both sides before entering the street proper.

"You're a real rebel,” Margaret commented.

"I just don't want to be in a fatal accident... again."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot."

"It's okay. That was my fault, anyway. I wasn't paying attention to the road at the time. I'm going to be careful from here on. I have a lot to live for, after all."

"Wow, you seem to be in a real good mood."

"I sure am."

"This is good news. Wendy was telling me you were going through a mental breakdown."

Johan cleared his throat. "So I heard. I admit, I was quite perturbed earlier, as if the world was coming to an end, but I finally settled my mental anguish. From here forward, all is well."

"I'm so glad for you, Johan. You've really pulled yourself together."

"Well, there's no time to be sulking when there are things to do."

"So who is it?"

"Who? Well... uhh... huh?"

"Who is it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Whose the lucky girl?"

"What lucky girl?"

"The lucky girl who you fell in love with."

"What!?" Johan turned his head showing her his face full of shock as she gleefully smiled. Returning his attention back to the road. "Margaret, what are you saying?"

"Are you still denying it?"

"Denying what? What are you talking about all of a sudden?"

"Johan, the writing's on the wall. Your irrational behavior, calling out a girl named Lucy, getting depressed after hearing her name when you claimed you couldn't be with her, and now you're all happy about life. You overcame everything and ended up with this Lucy girl, didn't you?"

"No, that's not it. Not at all."

"Then tell me, why are you so happy? Why the good mood?"

"Can't a man be happy for any reason other than a woman?"

"Of course not, especially you. You were completely destroyed and now you're one thousand percent better. If it isn't a woman, then why are you so happy now?"

"I can assure you it's not because of a woman."

“What a terrible thing to say.”

“You know what I mean.”

"Do I? Come on, what made you so happy today when you were so miserable earlier if it wasn't a woman?"

"I'm just happy, that's all. People can be happy just being themselves."

"And what about Lucy?"

"Listen, the name Lucy could mean anything within the context you heard that name, okay? You're just assuming it's a woman."

"I'm aware that's the excuse you keep using. You kept saying she's a fictional character."

"I'm not even saying that anymore."

"That's a lie. No man would act the way you did after hearing the name of the woman they loved but couldn't be with."

"It doesn't necessarily have to be a woman now, would it?"

“So a man?”

“Absolutely not.”

"So is Lucy a dog?"

"A dog!?"

"Yes. A dog. Is Lucy a dog? Is she a pet you want but are not allowed to have?"

"Knock it off."

"I get it now. You want this doggy so much but the landlord won't let you have it and now you're so anguished that you can't have your poor little Lucy run up to you when you get home."

"Stop it!"

"No slippers from your loyal Lucy now."

"I said knock it off!"

"Aw, poor Little Johan, can't adopt little Lucy from the pet shop."

"Will you knock it off and stop calling her a dog!?"

"Why are you getting so worked up then? She's only a dog, right? A FEMALE dog!"

The car swerved into a parking spot as fast as Margaret's head swayed. It was so sudden that Margaret had to hold on to the dashboard as the car came to a complete stop.

"Get out," ordered Johan.

Without protest, Margaret opened the door and exited the vehicle. "What are you going to do about it?" she taunted as she slammed the door and went on her way.

A disturbing heat was leading to a sensation of rage as Johan stewed on his car, clenching the steering wheel. Breathing heavily, he calmly shifted to drive before pulling out and continuing down the road.

"Margaret, you idiot, what do you know! I'm not in love. I'm over that, you know? That was just a dream. It's just a dream. I'm not reincarnated or anything like that. That's just a fairy tale. Besides, she's ten years younger than me. She's still just a kid. That's gross. That's disgusting. Vile. Putrid." His attempts to calm himself further was in vain as a disturbing feeling overcame him. Having no choice, he parked his car once again and banged the steering wheel with his fist a few times. "She's a young teenager. She's only a kid. She's nobody to me. She's practically a stranger. She's... she's... she's..." He raised his head to hit the steering wheel with his forehead. "She's... the love of my life."

0