Chapter 44
14 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I'll leave behind the fancy clothes. I'm not dressing to impress,' Johan thought as he inspected himself in front of the mirror. 'I have to tell Lucy that I can't see her anymore and I got to do it today. Margaret is right, I got to be a man and take control of my life, but I don't want to hurt her feelings. I got to convince her that this is the right thing to do, that this is expected of me.'

He walked over to his desk and picked up a notebook. 'To think I spent all night writing notes on the matter. I really am a nerd. Forget all this,' and flings them back. 'Just tell her how you feel and let her know that this is it, this is our last outing. Perhaps a hike to the mountains will soften the blow. It's the least I can do, and it's free. I'm not going to spend any more money on her, that's why I told her to pack a lunch. If I spend any more on her then I'm going to end up in trouble.'

After taking a deep breath he exited his bedroom to an empty apartment. 'Edwin must still be in his room. Maybe he felt the antagonistic aura I was emitting. I sometimes say the most terrible things. But it's going to be over when I find a place of my own. It's been fun, Edwin, or Wendy, or whatever you're going to transform into next. Maybe a canine? Things have changed since high school and we're all moving on with our lives. It's time I do too.'

He snatched his keys, stepped out of the apartment, and headed toward his car. 'I'm resetting everything about my life, and it all starts as soon as I get this over with.'

 

 

 

 

 

The ever-busy train station was becoming a meetup at the all too familiar rendezvous point. Waiting for him once again, Lucy got up from her seat and runs to him. "Hi," she said enthusiastically.

"Hello," he responded as neutral as he could. "You look quite nice today."

"Oh, it's just something I grabbed from my closet. I don't know a thing about clothes. You on the other hand, you look nice. Nothing flashy today?"

"No. Not today."

"How about you teach me about clothes sometime?"

"Well... about that. Lucy, before we go on our outing..." He would have continued had his attention not be diverted by the large basked that Lucy was carrying.

"Oh, this is our lunch."

"Our lunch?"

"You said to bring our own lunch, but I figured that I'd go the extra step and prepare something yummy for both of us."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Well, they're just sandwiches, but I've been told my food tastes great."

"I get that, but when I said to make your own lunch, I meant for yourself."

"I was but then I thought about you and... well..."

Lucy began to get flustered, something Johan wanted to put a stop to, "Listen, I really got to talk to you, and I got to do it now. Lucy, please listen to me.” He took a deep breath before continuing, “I'm afraid that I can't-"

"THE NEXT TRAIN HEADING TOWARDS CRAINE MOUNTAIN NOW BOARDING!" The loudspeaker interrupted.

"That's our train," Lucy exclaimed with excitement.

"Wait, I got to tell you something before we board. I really need to-” She grabbed his arm before he could finish and pulled him along to reach the platform.

Her excitement was propelling her straight into the train's open doors as she pulled him along without giving him a chance to explain himself. "We made it!" She says excitedly upon entering the train.

"Yeah, good. Anyway, I got to tell you something before we arrive at the mountains. Lucy, please listen."

"Yeah, sure. Go ahead."

She was so excited, full of vigor and joy. No words could do a better job describing her anticipation of the trip than the smile she was exhibiting. It was such a sight that Johan's heart started beating. 'No, I got to do this.' Addressing Lucy "Listen, I have to tell you something. Today is going to be-" The sound of the heavy engine from an adjacent train speeding by forced Johan to pause. Only when the pumping of the machinery and the loud whistles eventually faded into the distance could he continue. "Okay, this time, I got to tell you before something else interrupts us. Lucy, I can't hang out with you anymore. I'm sorry but this is the last time. I don't feel this is right, an adult like me hanging out with a kid like you. It's not that I don't like you or anything, it's just that the feelings that I have for you... well... they're not right. I really shouldn't even be on this outing, but I wanted to at least let you know that I don't hate you or anything. It's just that society does not support this kind of relationship, but it's for a good cause... I guess. You should really be spending time with your family rather than some strange man. Lucy, I want you to know that-"

"Johan, I can't hear you!" Lucy says loudly.

"Come again?"

"Loud noises plug my ears for a few seconds! You're going to have to wait till they unplug!"

"After all that I said..."

"Okay, my ears are fine now,” she said calmly. “What was it that you wanted to say?"

"Okay, okay. I guess I got to start over. I'll just cut to the meat of it. Lucy, I-"

"TO ALL OUR PASSENGERS, DUE TO TECHNICAL PROBLEMS, WE'LL BE ARRIVING AT OUR DESTINATION TEN MINUTES BEHIND SCHEDULE. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THIS INCONVINIENCE."

"Alright already!" Johan shouted at the roof before turning his attention to Lucy. "I really have to tell you before I get interrupted again. I can't-" A huge crowd of passengers suddenly bolt into the train. A dense stream of people flowing onto each side packing the car was a force that pushed them onto the opposite sides of the train.

When all was settled, the doors close and the train departed. Johan tried to get through, but it was too packed for him to squeeze in-between each person. He raises his head, trying to see above the crowd and spotted a raised arm waving back to him.

Standing on his toes, he barely noticed Lucy's as she waved her phone. He immediately reaches to take out his own only to facepalm. Raising his phone above the crowd, he mouths his words in an exaggerated manner as well as gestures his other hand in a manner that Lucy could guess his pantomime message, 'I don't have your number'.

Lucy looked at her phone, laughed, and shrugged her shoulders.

0