Reunion.
295 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ceremony was a simple one, or so I would have liked to say. But no.

 
The wedding of a former princess of Theed and a legit royalty, Padme Amidala couldn't be a small, candid affair. It had to be fucking huge.
 
And I mean huge.
 
I can't even see the other end of the venue from here!
 
Filled with crowds from across the planet, and the entirety of Padme's extended family.
 
I could see the soul slip out of Anakin's body the fifth time he had to make small talk with another distant cousin thrice removed.
 
He looked at me pleadingly.
 
'Save me!' His eyes screamed.
 
Nope. You dug yourself into this hole, Annie. You dig yourself right back out.
 
And no, it's not because I'm not good with big functions or crowds or crowds in big functions.
 
Nope. Not at all.
 
I just robotically turned 180 degrees and walked away from that mess of relations, back to Anakin's side of the host, which was almost too sad.
 
I mean he was little orphan Annie but still, I expected at least ten people to show up. But nope.
 
Five. Take it or leave it.
 
Me, Offee, Ahsoka, Lars, and Yularen.
 
That was understandable though.
 
Rex and the company were sick in bed from the plague and placed into quarantine.
 
And no lower-ranking clones bothered to come, even with a free buffet on offer.
 
"I must say, you look pretty good in a suit. Almost like an undersea porg." Ahsoka teased, feigning her usual chipper attitude, but now that Offee had pointed it out, I could see it eating at her from within.
 
Damn. Ahsoka really did love me.
 
Shiiiiit!
 
That is going to be a whole can of worms I will have to open sometime later.
 
I took a deep breath and smiled back at her.
 
"Yup. You too, Ahsoka. You look like a little bunny in that robe." I replied, looking at her snow white cheongsam-like robe, tied with a blue and brown patterned sash behind the back, in a bunny-eared knot.
 
"Yes, yes, laugh it up at my misery." She struggled in the dress, "But there was no better option. I can't wait to get this off already. It's squeezing my stomach."
 
"Sucks to suck," I said, handing Offee her drink, and Ahsoka hers.
 
"How long is this gathering? The ceremony was over 7 hours ago.
 
It's almost midnight!" Ahsoka whined.
 
"I'm not used to this either. I've never even seen that much meat in one sitting in my life and now I can just go grab it till my stomach bursts? Absolutely ridiculous!" Lars said, stuffing another slice of some form of bacon down his gullet.
 
"Yeah. This is basically a meet and greets at this point. Though, as the father of the groom, you should keep some ..... space for desert, Lars." I said, unnerved by the shounen protagonist levels of meat this man was consuming.
 
As if he hadn't just spent the last year and a half drinking his sorrows away.
 
He is definitely going to die on the flight back home at this rate.
 
"Oh, no worries there. I've got another stomach for sweets." He replied shamelessly.
 
That I can admire.
 
Ahsoka though, just facepalmed.
 
"I should have left with Admiral Yularen when I had the chance." She said.
 
"Actually, you can leave now, with us," I said, finishing my drink.
 
"You're leaving?" She asked, disappointed.
 
"To get our present, yes," I replied.
 
"Right. Now that I think about it, I didn't see you put any presents in the pile." Ahsoka pondered.
 
"That's because our present is a rather special one. Wanna see?" I teased her.
 
"Sure! Anything to get out of this dress." She said as I led us out, leaving Lars behind with a truly enormous rack of ribs.
 
"Let me just get changed first." She said, taking Offee along for help.
 
Once Ahsoka was back in her usual two-parter, they came out and we walked into the hangar.
 
There stood beside our ship, leaning against it, a hooded figure.
 
"Shmi!" I called out, catching her attention, "Come, it's time."
 
Shmi looked at us and a grateful smile formed on her lips, as she walked toward us.
 
"Where's the present?" Ahsoka asked, looking around.
 
"That, " I pointed to Shmi, "is the present. The best present Anakin could ever get. I can guarantee you, Ahsoka, that when he sees it, he will cry tears of joy!"
 
"I don't believe that for one single minute. You must have hidden the real gift somewhere else!" She insisted.
 
"No Ahsoka." Offee revealed, "Shmi is the gift?"
 
"A slave?" Ahsoka raised an eyebrow.
 
"Not anymore," I said, smiling cryptically.
 
"Can't you tell me about it?" Ahsoka asked.
 
"No. Where's the fun in that? Let's play a game. You guess what our gift means to Anakin, and if you win, I'll give you a gift too!" I said when suddenly the doors to the hangar opened up, and in walked Anakin.
 
"You guys are leaving already? I thought you came to support me? Walker already left me in that den of hyenas, and now you too, Ahso-k-a....."
 
Anakin stared dumbstruck at the hooded figure, as she lifted the hood.
 
The chalice in Anakin's hand fell to the floor as tears pooled in his eyes.
 
"This can't be real. Th-this is a dream, isn't it?" He asked, turning to me.
 
"No Annie, it's my wedding present, especially for you," I said, beaming a full smile, and Anakin took a step forward, carefully touching Shmi's face, with shaking hands, tears cascading down his cheeks uncontrollably.
 
"Annie....." Shmi said, tearing up herself, caressing his face, adoringly "I'm home."
 
At that the dam burst as Anakin gripped Shmi in a hug, so tight as if he was afraid she would slip away from within his fingers like his much-hated sand, sobbing like a baby.
 
"Loosen up a bit!" I tapped his arms, "She might just die again at this rate. Her body isn't back to ship shape yet."
 
Immediately, Anakin separated from his mother, gently holding her arms on his own.
 
"This is real....this is real!" He muttered, turning to me as Ahsoka watched dumbfounded from behind him.
 
"This....how is this possible? Jay is this really...."
 
"Yes. That's really her. Back from the dead, courtesy of moi~" I said, puffing up my chest proudly.
 
He turned to face her, still in shock.
 
"It really is me, Annie," Shmi assured.
 
"How?!" He asked, wiping his tears.
 
"That is not dead which can eternal lie. For with strange aeons, even death may die." I said, "And we do live in strange aeons, don't we?
 
Civil Wars, the fall of the Jedi Order, the return of the ancient Kwa stargates, a hundred soldiers miraculously taking over the heaviest defended separatist outpost on Ryloth, a mysterious plague that destroys people's connection to the force.
 
It's like the ancient times of legend are returning. Don't you think so?"
 
"Just tell me this, is she actually her or a droid you made to resemble her?"
 
"It really is her Anakin. Ever since the death of master Luminara, on my watch no less, I have been desperately working towards a cure. A cure for death.
 
And I succeeded. A serum that can revive someone from beyond the veil of death so long their heart and brain are intact. You are lucky old Lars had her flash frozen. Preserved her corpse well enough to revive."
 
"No way!" Ahsoka gasped.
 
"Yes, way!" I rebutted.
 
"Through science, all things are possible, buddy. Besides, you can lift objects with your mind and the sith have been known to eat entire planets to sate their hunger but you find this unbelievable?" I teased.
 
"No- I mean.....ugh!" Ahsoka muttered, unable to comprehend the concept.
 
"I don't know what to say!" Anakin fumbled.
 
"How do you like it?" I asked.
 
"Jay Walker, you bastard!" He sniffled, "This is the best present I have ever received in my life"
 
"What is happening here?!"Ahsoka finally asked.
 
"Oh right...Ahsoka." He said, turning to her, "Meet my mother, Shmi Skywalker!"
 
Once everyone had come to terms with the reality of the situation, we walked into the patio for a small after-party while Padme handled the remaining guests alone.
 
"Are you sure this will be fine? Leaving Padme alone to deal with them?"
 
"Yes, of course." He said.
 
"No, it won't!" Padme snarled, storming in, Neyutnee trailing behind her.
 
"You can't just leave me up there alone! I ca-"
 
That was when she noticed the woman sitting beside him on the sofa.
 
"Excuse me, but have we met before?" She asked before it clicked.
 
"Yo-yo-you're the woman from Tatooine. You are .... Anakin's mother?!" Padme gasped, "How is this possible? Anakin told me you died! Did you lie to me about your mother's death, Anakin?"
 
"No. He didn't." I cleared it up for him.
 
"She was dead. I revived her. Just this week actually."
 
Their eyes went wide.
 
"Can you do that? You can't do that right?" Neyutnee asked.
 
"Now I can. I made a cure. A serum that can revive people." I explained.
 
"This .... how many can you make?" Neyutnee asked eagerly.
 
"No more than two or three more." I said, "The process is slow, long, and risky. It is not mass-producible. Nor do I want it to be!
 
Before you ask.
 
Imagine one of these in the hands of a dictator or genocidal maniac. Imagine a republic ruled by an immortal senate. You think the senate is corrupt now? Think what it would be like then!
 
Incessant wars fought by immortal warriors devastating the galaxy.
 
So no. I will not give it to anyone or allow it to be mass-produced. Because for every good citizen that is saved by it, thousands more will die painful deaths. I risk the fate of the galaxy falling into the wrong hands." I explained, "So I would appreciate you keeping this secret to yourselves. Got it?"
 
They all gave quiet nods.
 
They were all mostly decent people who could keep their word. And given that even if they revealed it to someone, they would have no way to prove it, other than the ramblings of a drunkard moisture farmer. Not the most credible source. After all, no one will volunteer to be killed to check its efficacy. Therefore, the best-kept secret is an open one. Especially since I will be using it a lot more now that I am a senator and the Intergalactic Banking Clan has sent their assassins after me.
 
I would rather not have them raise questions about it in public like idiots.
 
With that taken care of, it was time to conquer the senate.
 
I looked at Neeyutnee and asked.
 
"Is everything ready for my appointment to the senate?"
 
"Yes. But I must ask. Was it really necessary to recruit Mas Almeda and Sly into your campaign operation? You do know that they served under Palpatine, right?" Neyutnee replied.
 
"Yes, your majesty. But they were also the ones who raised him to the position of chancellor. They might be corrupt and immoral, but they are extremely competent at their jobs. That is a valuable feature. Besides, in case they backstab me, I do have an insurance policy on them. So rest assured. This won't be another Palpatine debacle for Naboo. Trust me a little, will you?" I said.
 
And it was true. I had enough dirt on either of them that even the thought of betrayal won't cross their minds.
 
And they would raise me to my chancellery. By hook or crook. Mostly crooks though. They were still evil. Just a necessary one.
 
"Alright. I will trust you, Walker.
 
Please don't disappoint me. Keep your promises." Neyutnee begged.
 
"I will," I promised.
 
___________________
 
Edited by Otakusumit
1 MF
7