Vol 1 – Chapter 7 (Mage’s Archive)
116 6 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
  • 3rd Person POV

“Okay… okay… let’s think about this” Evan goes to a dark corner somewhere. Fortunately, the mage’s archive lies empty as it is night-time in ‘Eidolon’ wold. Only the light coming from magical torch dimly lit the area.

“I didn’t expect this treasure lies before me. I always wanted to enter the mage’s archive. Who knows what knowledge they put here. Eh… since my recall function is on cooldown.” Evan turn from the dark corner after unconsciously biting his nails then look at the archive in more detail.

It is an octagonal tower filled with books in the sides and small alcoves on each corner for sitting and reading. With Evan is on the topmost floor of this tower. There are windows overlooking to the city of Novitas and night-sky with two moons signifying of a different world.

“Its so tranquil. Heh… reminds me of Icy Cavern boss.” Evan thought as he activates his skill to detect mana. The threads & wisps of them are present but Evan can see that it isn’t wild like when he roams the field. Rather some is thin like threads and straighten out. There are also circle of mana placed on the floor.

“Traps… and Alarms…” Evan recognizes this as he can sense what that is, upon seeing how the mana is constructed. As a ping can be heard with a notification saying his INT status permanently raised by 1.

His lips curved upward in a smile as Evan dodges the circles opting to not try disabling it lest he risk triggering the alarms. Looking around the archive, it is devoid of people as he began to take some books that he deem interesting.

“ ‘Origin of Mana’ ‘Schools of Magic’ ‘Ley Lines’ ‘History of Renown Archmages’ ‘Enchantments’ “ Evan ruminates while reading those books. “Interesting that’s how mana comes from in this world’s lore. Ah… so that’s how NPC weave mana” Evan practices small things such as weaving them together into a sphere that give off light to see after reading them in the book.

“Well… that’s something, the schools of magic are how they weave the mana together and bring the resulting product. But of course, a spell can consist of different schools of magic in one but that requires a powerful mage to weave them.” Evan tries to combine the different weave of mana together, but it retaliated resulting to the spell’s failure.

He nods while flipping through more and more pages. Tuning out the behind the scenes ping that keep on flooding his notification saying ‘+1 Permanent INT’ and some to the ‘Magic School Knowledge’ panel.

“Ley Lines huh? A place where mana is abundant usually mages come to that place to borrow its power to grow themselves, but it is also filled with dangers as it lures monsters. Maybe when I’m strong enough I’ll go there myself. AH! need to note the places” Evan write something on his notepad that’s used for communicating.

“Ohohoho… they really copy paste the typical old grandpa-esque wizards to the book. Heheh… “ Evan continues to read about their achievement, specialities, and magical items that they have made during their years. Like a documentary before moving on to other book about enchantments.

“Hmmm…” Evan nods few times understanding some of the passages while sometimes furrowing his brows when it confuses him but several re-read, he started to understand how enchantments work. “Clearly my method is crude but with this I might be able to polish them a bit more” Evan thought.

From minutes, to hours in-game time. Evan continue to read any books that he deem particular even the knowledge of life style magics. Which are a category of magics used to make life easier such as lighting up small fire, moving small objects, cleaning them. Thanks to his mind focusing on reading he has tuned out the multitude of pings.

He look to the side through the windows, as Evan sees the sky turn less dark rather bluish signifying morning has come. “Oh no… have I been that long inside?” Evan suddenly despaired as he quickly put the books where it belongs while avoiding the alarms & traps. If someone doesn’t have mana control or hi-level mana sense, they would have trigger those traps long ago.

Just after he put the last book in, he heard from a distance *BAM* The sounds of door opening echoes from the bottom floor as he sweats.

“Okay… okay… okay… calm yourself, think on how to escape. First, you have recall function ready, but it needs casting time. Second, you’re in the top floor where NPCs would probably need some time to ascend. Conclusion: you just need to activate the recall function while masking your presence” Concurring to his own idea, Evan began to weave the mana together like a veil as his presence and figure camouflaged to the background while activating the recall function.

The panel of recall function appeared and showing the cast bar as he biting his own nails fervently while looking to the sides trying to spot if there’s any NPCs around.

3…

He began to hear creaking of the wood from his right & left similar to footsteps going up the stairs.

2…

From there on, he sees many figures wearing blue and purple robes with different embroidery yet always have the same symbol of a magic circle where lies in the centre there is an eye. They are sitting on each of the alcoves reading some books and practicing magic discussing with other peers.

1…

One of the mage, comes close to where Evan is as the male gasp and held his breath in surprise as that mage just went straight through the bookshelf that Evan put his back on the corner. “Hmm?” The apprentice look to the left of the bookshelf curious as he reached his hand towards it.

0…

Evan disappears back to Novitas as the apprentice hand passes where he was. In confusion he’s tilting his head as another mage behind him asks. “What’s wrong?” that apprentice replies “Maybe its just my imagination”

“GAH!” Evan exhale and inhale large amount of air as he calm himself down. Right on the plaza of Novitas before moving to the alleyway where he summoned Umbra.

Cuddling with the dog and giving it treats, he felt safe & comfortable. “I almost get caught there… fiuf. An illegal reader caught in the archive. If that the title of the news I would be embarrassed” Evan leaning his back on the walls while Umbra is sitting on his lap curling with Evan stroking the dog.

“Let’s see my progress… I guess the +1 Permanent INT effect from my title isn’t limited to understanding a spell rather the concept behind it too. Since it includes the knowledge, I gained from reading those books” Evan open his status panel to see how many INT he has gathered through that.

[Magie Magia]

Level

14

Class

None

Race

Hyuman

HP

300

MP

1900

SP

300

Status

STR

8

DEX

6

CON

10

INT

101

WIS

15

Skills

Actives

[Summon Umbra]

Upon using this skill, summon Umbra to accompany you. You can cast this skill again to dismiss Umbra. If Umbra has been defeated, he will return to a safe pocket dimension to rest, and this skill will be unusable until Umbra’s health is restored to full.

 

 

 

Passives

[Mana Control LV5]

INT+30 . MP+ 2000. MP Regen + 20 per second. Spell Cost, Cooldown, and Chanting Time reduced by 25%. With this skill you can sense the flow of mana and their changes. Including able to tap into it and moulded mana into being.

 

 

 

Titles

<Mana Sensitive (Exclusive)> (Req: Upgrading [Mana Sense LV10] to [Mana Control LV1])

You will gain +1 Permanent INT status whenever you ‘understand’ a spell.

Instead of WIS used for ‘magical resistance’ you will use INT instead.

For every INT you have, increase your vulnerability to physical damage. 1 INT = +0.5% Damage taken from physical source

<Slime Conqueror> (Req: Kill 1000 slimes)

Increase damage dealt to Ooze type creature by 50%.

 

[Magic]

[Knowledge]

Destruction:

Apprentice

Restoration:

Apprentice

Abjuration:

Apprentice

Illusion:

Apprentice

Transmutation:

Apprentice

Divination:

Apprentice

Conjuration:

Apprentice

 

*Sniffle* Finally, for the first time my status went through 3 digits. Hmm… reading those actually helped increasing these ‘Magic School Knowledge’ maybe I should try to infiltrate more? I’m growing to be a bad boy sigh… “ Evan heaved a sigh accepting that he’s going to break rules.

Since the alleyway is quiet, Evan tries weaving mana again by widening the wisps into a suit so he can wear it as it did Evan body is engulfed in some kind of mana armour. Before he gain ‘Apprentice’ knowledge he cannot do this but now he could.

“This will protect me from hits but its limited as it consumes my MP each time I got hit.” Evan thought as he disperses the mana armour. Looking at the IRL time panel, Evan still have some time left before he could log-off as he sells the items from <Icy Cavern> to get gold.

He got around 500 gold from it as he didn’t convert them all into dollars leaving him with 549 GC in his inventory. “Since this week’s goal have already achieved, I can leisure around for two days. Until a new week comes” Evan sighed but he’s determined.

“Oh yeah! There’s something I’m curious about.” Evan look at this inventory panel about crystal aster seeds. “Since these are seeds, I can grow them, right? I have heard in the net about portable gardening pots. Small in shape but enough to grow a flowering plant. With the addition of magics I’m certain I can make it better. That would be my next goal since I have these leisure time” Evan optimistically clench his fist before yawning.

Thinking that it is time to sleep, Logging out from the game. He come out from the console, heating up dinner, and check his account about the money he had just gained. In doing so, he chuckles and smiles looking at it for a while until the microwave is done.

He began to eat while smiling joyfully. “Heheheh… Yeah... the game is fun” then he took a shower & brushed his teeth. Drying his hair before finally fallen asleep.

--

Waking up from his sleep, Evan feel incredibly refreshed better than ever as he can’t wait to delve into the world of ‘Eidolon’ but before he do that though, he opened up the net searching about images of ‘Make up kits’ ‘Mechanic Tool Chest’ ‘Chest with Hidden Compartment’.

“Of course, I needed to ask a craftsman about this. Probably a wooden craftsman Sigh… I have Umbra with me so I’m not going to be scared!” He slapped his cheeks to hype himself up.

He’s thinking of making a small portable garden. “And magic is spectacular I might be able to make it grow a tree inside of it while travelling. That way I don’t even need to have my own house for gardening” Evan thought as he decided to use ‘Chest with hidden compartment’ imagery.

Deciding that, he goes to the trading district of Novitas. The commotion of NPC & Players alike mingling together with the sounds of children playing together. Evan walk to the side-lines away from sight while gazing left & right trying to find a shop tailored for furnishing.

Finding one, he enters that place as he summon Umbra with the dog cuddling near Evan although sometimes, Umbra sneezed as he but his snout on Evan’s clothing trying to not inhale more of the wood dust.

The heavy scent of lacquer hit his nose upon entering as he can hear saw cutting through wood or sandpaper being used to smoothed out wood.

Before long a figure, a late man in his fifties resembling what Evan think off as a lumberjack having a great build for strength, although he’s working on wood rather than chopping trees. With ginger coloured hair & beard although turning to grey due to old age.

He’s currently working on a big furniture before noticing the green robed male. Setting the tools aside, he turn around and take off his gloves & protective googles. He greets the male “Ah! Sorry I just noticed you there, welcome to my shop. What do you need”

Evan wrote something on his notepad while Umbra is sitting right beside his leg. Leaning his whole body to Evan with him chuckles seeing Umbra did that as he finishes his writing. The woodworker read the passage for a quick second.

“Oh I see… you wanted a chest with hidden compartments made.” Rubbing his chin, the shop owner ask Evan. “What do you want to do with the chest if you don’t mind me asking”. With that question, Evan begin to write something on his notepad and showed it to the shop owner.

“Hmmm… planning to enchant it I see… let me calculate the cost for a high-quality wood suitable for enchantments” The shop owner seems to be an expert at this even though it is quite an odd request. No doubt he’s used to the mage’s guild asking those to him that gives him this confidence.

“Yeah that would need at least 300 gold and 3 days. I’ll tell the boys to make them for you.” The shop keeper smiles as Evan nod, the price is within his budge as he gives the shop owner the money.

Upon receiving the money, he smiles, turning to the back of the shop he yells “OI! YOU LAZY SODS, A REQUEST!” he shouted but more stern affection tone rather than just an annoyed yell.

Two figures appeared from behind having the same ginger hair but younger. Probably twins, both wearing gloves and headcover as the shop owner gives them a piece of paper containing the description of the chest and where the compartments lies. The rest are up to their imagination and creativity.

“Alright! A request fucking finally” One of the twin look at the piece of paper as the other take a sneak peek at it. Their eyes gleamed so bright that it will dazzle Evan eyes. As their lips curved upward, hands already fidgeting wanting to create them. With the shop owner just huffed and chuckles.

“Little lad, I think its going to go a bit faster seeing them so enthusiastic about it.” The owner replies as Evan nod seeing the twins already go to the back of the shop eager to create it as Evan bowed & wave to signify farewell as the owner too waved his hand.

Leaving the shop, Evan quickly turn to the nearest alleyway with Umbra on his side. He gently strokes the head of the god while walking as his nervousness slowly goes away. He begin to think “What should I do for today? He says 3 days at most, if it is ‘Eidolon’ time that means I need to wait for 3 hours IRL.”

9