Vol 1 – Chapter 19 (First Leyline 2)
97 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
  • 3rd Person POV

“I never play sudoku before but at least I know the rules in solving them” Evan thought as he stares at the large grid that shows the weird looking runes hoping for it to magically solve itself. Spending several extra minute in doing that, it was in vain as he loudly sigh while scratching the back of his head.

“I’m guessing these runes cannot be the in the same grid, columns, rows, and I need to fill all of them” He look at the upper row of the grid as he sees the runes.

“I see… hmmm… by the process of elimination, I think I can add this type of rune” Upon drawing & adding it to the grid suddenly the panel turn red before returning to normal. There’s a loud ping accompanying it when it happened.

“Eh?” *RUSTLE *RUSTLE. Evan turn his head to the left as Umbra’s tail is straightened and tense. The wolf-dog went a bit low in a pouncing stance. “GRRRRRRR” He growls to the direction of where Evan is looking at.

*BAM* A hand emerges from the ground near the tree, it is a wrinkled and desiccated arm, it moves as if alive and drag itself from the black soil revealing the main body of that corpse-like arm.

The main body is humanoid with pointy ears resembling an elf. Although it is undergone some kind of injury such as a cut on that ear. There are some hairs, but it is already fallen off & turn ashen white. Their skin is wrinkled and dark grey in colour, having a deep hollow & sunken eyes as it look at the pair with that facial feature and lumbering forth.

“Graaaaaa….” Its voice is hoarse and dry as it lifted its arms towards the pair. *BAM, another one appears again adjacent to that creature.

[Zombie]

Type:

Undead

Level:

Unknown

 

Evan & Umbra went on caution mode as he weave mana into a sharp lance. The magic he weave form a javelin made from pure light as he shoot towards the undead creature on his left.

“GRAA!!” It hits as the undead body hisses, knocked down then slowly standing up again from that spell even if they are weak against holy magic.

Since they move slowly, Evan have more time to weave stronger version of holy magic. On the tip of his index finger a condensed mote of golden light emerges. He aimed at his front at the centre of the two-lumbering zombie.

He unleashes it, in doing so a brilliant bright pillar of light engulfed them both. “Holy Light!” One of the spell that clerics have to fight instead of healing.

He learned it from watching MeTube about the clerics and their spells including hyping the viewers about the feeling of a cleric when fighting a horde of undead. Inspired by it, he weaved the very same magic knowing how effective it was in the video. Evan distinctively heard a faint sound of notification in his status panel, yet he already tuned it out in favour of fighting.

The zombie that got initially hit by Evan’s Holy Javelin have turned to dust upon being blasted by Holy Light. The other one, its body is steaming & hissing from the blast as Evan weave another Holy Javelin.

It shoots and pierce the zombie leaving behind a hole as it spreads to its entire being, and its body turn into ash. Looking around the area, for more things such as that. Evan couldn’t find it as he didn’t get any experiences from it either.

“I guess that’s the consequence of getting it wrong. But how though? I certainly add the specific rune… unless….” He begin to ruminates on his decision.

Evan moves forward to the tree as he commanded Umbra to guard him. Touching the bark, the surge of mana reappears as the panel emerge before him.

The very same fantasy sudoku panel, He guesses and using the process of elimination, but he also added a new twist. He switches his vision to detect mana as he sees something different in that sudoku panel.

“The runes! As I suspected… they aren’t what they seems. They each have particular colour of mana that is one of the factor in solving this sudoku. No wonder why I see a similar runes in one grid.” Evan sees one of the rune that looks similar almost indistinguishable like upper case (i) and lower-case (L). but their colour of mana is different allowing Evan to notice it.

He began the process of elimination figuring out a particular rune that will exclusively fit one grid. Due to the added factor, Evan can see the ‘uniqueness’ of different mana in these runes. Taking a lot of his time in deciphering it in addition, knowing that each mistake summons group of zombies.

“Okay… I’m going to put it here. And here… and… most likely there.” He spends around two to three hours standing in front of the twisted tree purely focusing on solving the puzzle.

Umbra stand there with wide eyes looking at the twisted tree. For each correct piece, Evan puts on the grid. The twisted parts of the tree begun to fix itself. The spiralling & splintering bark begun to realign themselves as it turn from stone grey colour into rich earthen brown.

The change went unnoticed as the mage continues in his focus in placing the correct runes. As he did so, The tree begun to sprout fresh green leaves on its branches. The blackened soil slowly turn into reddish-brown as patches of grass begun to grow.

Several hours passed again with Evan focus begin to dwindle. He look to the side and see his MP bar is getting depleted as he activates [Mana Gathering] skill. He can see the MP bar slowly & steadily going up. “After few seconds, it would beat the MP consumption but I’m getting more & more vulnerable”  Evan thought as he continue in his pursuit in solving this in addition, commanding Umbra to get closer to him with the wolf-dog snapped out from his stupor then follows Evan’s command.

Until he spend a total of six hours solving the sudoku as he put the last piece together. His forehead are drenched with sweat from the concentration as he take heave a heavy sigh. “Haaah… Umbra its done! Finally…”

*PLOMP*

Evan lay down on the soft soil as the magical effect of his robe already wore off long ago revealing his normal face, but the robe is still purple with sharp shoulder pads.

“Umbra… I need a lot of rest time from the puzzle. Huhuhuhu… give me your fluffy fur please.” Evan requested to Umbra as the wolf-dog rolled his eyes but still move even closer to the mage and let his head rest on the wolf-dog’s fluffy back.

“It’s so soft hehehehe…” Evan recharges his energy by ruffling Umbra’s soft fur as his mind begin to wander about the whereabouts of other leylines. He can’t even rest for a while as prompt appeared so suddenly in front of him.

Aether Class Quest (NEW!!)

Description:

The leylines across the world of ‘Eidolon’ is being convoluted. Find them all and fix what has been wrong.

Hint: Find a place where odd natural order have been dishevelled or frequent natural disasters

(1/4)

Reward:

·         Class Change to [Aether]

·         Race Change to [Aberration]

·         Each completion of Leylines Influx increase [Mana Mastery] Level by 1.

 

Congratulations in fixing one of the leylines. You have been given reward(s) for your achievement!!

 

[Fragment of Mana]

Rarity:

Legendary

Category:

Misc.

Consumable:

No

Bound:

Soul-Bound (Magie Magia)

Worth:

Cannot be sold

Weight:

1 kg

Requirement to use:

None

Description:

A pure white crystal that emits a faint glow. It appears to be a fragment of what it once was. Some say it contains mysterious power

Effect:

Upon four [Fragment of Mana] have been collected, it will converge into [Pure Mana]

(1/4)

 

[Piece of Enigma]

Rarity:

Legendary

Category:

Misc.

Consumable:

No

Bound:

Soul-Bound (Magie Magia)

Worth:

Cannot be sold

Weight:

1 kg

Requirement to use:

None

Description:

A broken piece of an orb, it seems to be made from metallic materials, but it is unclear what. The surface of the piece is filled with runes & scribbles that seems to faintly glow in blue light.

Effect:

Upon four [Piece of Enigma] have been collected, it will converge into [Enigma]

(1/4)

 

[Mana Mastery LV2]

Description:

Allows you to weave stronger magics and senses the flow of mana like its second nature.

Effect:

·         INT+70 .

·         MP+ 7000.

·         MP Regen + 70

·         Spell Cost, Cooldown, and Chanting Time reduced by 60%.

·         Spell Power & Duration increased by 60%.

 

“Okay… at least the result is worth it!” Evan thinks a bit on what he get before plunging to Umbra’s soft fur again.

Judging by the description. He assumed the [Fragment of Mana] would give him advancement item for his skill similar to [Heart of Mana] or [Eye of Mana]. While [Piece of Enigma] will give him a weapon to wield.

His lips curved upward as bubbling warmth come up from his stomach with his nose is tickled with Umbra’s soft fur. “I don’t need to buy incredulous price for a weapon then. Although, I don’t think I can finish this class quest before the battle royale event, so I better to focus on something else first.”

Evan shake his head left & right enjoying the softness of Umbra’s fur. With the wolf-dog just look at his owner while his tail is wagging quickly. Even though he rolled his eyes seconds ago.

Before long, Umbra suddenly stands up as his fur raised up and his tail stretched taut. He look at a direction and began to growl. “GRRRRRRRRR….”, Evan who’s confused on what’s happening. He turn his gaze to the direction of where Umbra is facing.

He saw shades of shadow jumped from one place to another so quickly. At first, he thought it is just his eyes playing tricks, but it was a humanoid shape & clearly real since the noise of branches snapping echo from it. Nevertheless, it’s too late to react as they have move away from the area indicated by Umbra’s growling begun to die down as he calms down.

As he lifts his head from Umbra’s fur, he begun to realize his surrounding is covered with a semblance of life. He distinctively remember that previously, the soil is blackened with no grass patches. But now, several small greenery can be seen here & there. Seeing that this place is nice and quiet with the exception of those shadowy figures. He stands up and see the tree is lively too.

The twisting & splintering barks and branches have now straightened resembling a normal tree. The size still stay the same if not a little bit bigger. Colours have been infused to the tree with deep earthen brown bark. The smell of rot have dissipated as well. Making Evan able to take a large breath as he look up and sees the cluster of leaves on its branches.

They are small & green leaves signifying a beginning of new life as Evan smile a little bit. He began to write something on the ground near the tree.

He etched a magic circle on the ground, with the words pertain the meaning of; ‘Anchor’ ‘Teleportation’ in that area. Adding another ‘point’ in his arsenal to move around quicker than walking.

“I’m going to use these tricks in the battle royale Hehehe… a mage always have hidden tricks after all” Evan look quite proud at himself etching the magic circle much quicker than before since he has upgraded his skill.

Before long, he weave the mana in front of him while standing on top of the ‘circle’ in doing so his figure & Umbra vanishes as they appear in the small familiar glade near Clamshore.

--

The familiar scent of salty breeze accompanied by damp soil entered his nose as he opens his eye and see the viridian forest surrounding him in a small glade. Where two rune stones etched with a magic circle faintly glow making a magical barrier as he can see the veil of mana surrounding this glade.

“A double layer, one is illusion and other is abjuration. Hmmm… “

Evan brought out a stamp from his hand as he begin to think deeply on what he wanted to do and begin planning out the process.

“First! I need to modify the dial first from giving ‘name & date’ I combined it into larger dial that able to choose the magic schools”

The stamp held aloft in air as Evan begin waving his hand atop the dial. As he weave mana, the metallic dial begun to transform giving the names of all the magic schools instead. He also added several new sub-dials containing the same repeats of magic school.

“This one would make me able to use multiple school of magic at once” Evan thought as the transformation completed revealing the large dial on the top of the dial. Finishing it, he tries to spin them as it works well but he realizes once again.

“The bottom of the stamp needs to be changed” Quickly he turn the stamp without touching it as he hover his hand above it. He began to focus in picturing it in his mind as he weaves the mana making the bottom of the stamp into a circle.

Looking at it again, he seems satisfied as he begun infusing the mana into it and activates his own skill [Mana Gathering] with his MP constantly regenerated & the amount of mana he can pour now. The process is greatly accelerated.

Since it is small and what he intend to do with the stamp is quite simple, the enchanting process is quickly done by spending four hours. Then he began sculpting & moulding the infused mana inside the stamp ignoring the hungry cries of his stomach.

“I want to finish this! Its so close” As Evan reshapes the mana inside the stamp. He wiped an imaginary sweat off his forehead after he finished it. He turns around and sees Umbra laying on his back with belly exposed enjoying the sunlight exposure & its warmth

The soft fur entices him to just dip his head to Umbra’s stomach. “W-woof???” Umbra seems confused but not alarmed by Evan’s action. His stamp lies afloat in air held in place in complete form.

[Magic Circle Engraver]

Rarity:

Rare

Category:

Magic Items

Consumable:

No

Bound:

No

Worth:

1500 GC

Weight:

500 grams

Requirement to use:

Magic User

Description:

A wooden circular stamp with a large dial on top containing several sub-dials. All of it are named with the magic schools.

Effect:

After choosing which dials containing the name of the magic schools (From large to small in order). Upon pressing the bottom part of the stamp to a surface & using the mana from the user. The engraver will create a magic circle suitable for the magic school(s) spell.

Note: The more magic schools contained in the circle, the more mana it will consume & bigger in size.

 

After a minute of enjoying Umbra’s belly, Evan woke up feeling incredibly recharged as if he has sleep for 8 hours. He then outstretch his hand in a receiving pose as the stamp hovers to his hand and now in his inventory.

Knowing that is in his inventory, Evan took out the chest as he quickly harvest [Crystal Aster Flower]. Then he plunge everything back into the inventory as he give some treats to Umbra before logging out.

Doing his usual routine of getting dinner, cleaning up his condo, and taking a nice hot shower remembering what he did today. He still can’t believe that he manages to solve the fantasy sudoku. While washing his hair, Evan thought “If I don’t have the [Mana] tree skill, I think it would be impossible to do. I don’t know why but the zombies were unnerving…”

Finishing his shower, Evan brushed his teeth and readying himself to fall asleep for tomorrow to come.

8