Vol 1 – Chapter 20 (Re-Challenge)
82 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
  • 3rd Person POV

*BEEP *BEEP, Waking up from the alarm. Evan lazily grab his phone beside him and turn off the alarms including the following ones.

Then he stands up from the bed enduring the temptation to just stay on the bed for another five minutes. He stretches his body with a look of satisfaction in his face

“Ungghh!! AH~ feels nice”.

Moving onward to the bathroom and cleaning himself up, Evan begun eating a cereal & berries for breakfast as he look at the windows. The sun is rising up giving a clear blue sky with him smiling looking at his phone.

“2 days… just 2 days!”

He seems enthusiastic for the event as he look at the website to see of any updates including the EidoNews website. Scrolling down, he didn’t see any new rules being posted although he did see a ‘clarification’ in the trivia section.

Magic items & Magic equipment is one & the same in this rule as such you cannot have 1 legendary magic item and 1 legendary magic equipment at the same time.

“Hmmm… I have [Egg of Time], [Antique Circlet], [Magie Magia’s Travelling Garden], [Magic Circle Engraver], [Robe of Everchanging], [Branch of Good Berry]”

He thought knowing that he is empty on one slot for very rare category magic items.

“Sigh… very rare category or legendary category mostly comes from dungeon. Although the legendary category only drops when in a party. The very rare can drop in dungeon (solo) but with a miniscule chance. So, I guess… I’ll try to challenge that dungeon again just to see what I get. Not that I wanted to have a revenge match with the goblin witch hahaha...”

Evan cheekily thought of the dungeon [Claw Peak Cavern] as he finishes his breakfast then clean the dishes.

Wiping his mouth, Evan enters the console as he logged in the world of ‘Eidolon’. The scent of salty breeze and damp soil under his feet greeted him. He’s in the familiar ‘safe glade’ near Clamshore as he opens the chest and harvest 2x [Crystal Aster Flower] for the day with it comes on cooldown.

Looking around and expanding his ‘radar’ he confirmed to himself that there are no entities near him. So, he went deeper to the mountain concealing himself using [Invisibility] and [Muffle] to keep his movement silent.

To identify him would be a challenge in itself especially in the forest. Using the same path he remembers; the forest terrain slowly change into a rocky field with a path to the mountain.

Upon nearing the place, from afar Evan can hear the sound effects of magic being casted, players shouting & grunting taking down monsters.

“TAKE THIS!!!” “GRAAAHHHH!!!!” “FIREBALL!!” “KIEE!!!”

Right there, he can see players grinding levels and money slaying the mountain goblins. While moving he’s grateful that the players here aren’t related to any major guilds as he moves forward using the path forward towards the mountain with the players did not notice him.

Arriving at the entrance to the dungeon, he leaned his body left & right. He didn’t see any major guild members in the surrounding as he heave a relieved sigh. “Must be due to the event, the veteran players challenge hi-level dungeons and the guild focuses on that” He commented.

Feeling quite safe, he enters the dungeon with the usual prompt of being under levelled & challenging it solo. Nevertheless, he press (Y) as his figure vanishes to thin air.

Evan is delivered into the depth of the cavern, warmth coming from his back as he turns around. Greeted with the sunlight leading to the exit of the dungeon.

Deciding on what to do, he chooses

“[Summon Umbra]”

Emerging behind his shadow, a large size wolf-dog appeared. He stand side by side with Evan as they move forward deeper into the cavern.

As usual, they encounter a goblin camp filled with 5 goblinoid creatures. One of them is the chief while the others are simple mountain goblins.

Evan commanded Umbra to stay silent for now as he toggled on his [Mana Shield]. In doing so, a sheen of mana covered the surface of his body almost like a skin-tight suit, comfortable, and not constricting with him moving his hands around.

Looking around at the encampment in front of him stealthily since he is invisible and muffled. He began weaving mana together into a condensed sphere. After a while of chanting, even rocks and pebbles began to lifts, hover, and move closer to the middle of his hands as if gravity intensified in that area and begin pulling things around him.

He continue to focus forward before finally unleashing the magic.

“[Gravity Crush]!”

 With that, he slam shut his two hands. The rocks around Evan fall to the ground as gravity returns surrounding him. But something is shifted on the goblin encampment.

*SNAP* A massive pushing force outright flatten out the tents & crushed the bone piles into dust. With stalactites become so heavy that it snaps and fall to the ground accompanied by stalagmites falling apart due to the pressure, the magic is exerting.

The goblin shrieks simultaneously as the magics also affected them

“KIEEEE!!!”

*CRACK *CRACK *CRACK  They fall prone, and the normal mountain goblins were crushed with their body vanished signifying that they have been defeated by the spell. After a while, the increased gravitational force ceased, leaving behind tents that are crushed into flat, and bones that turn into small fine pieces.

“Ohh!! That’s a good spell”

Evan smiles as he look at his MP bar, It appears a chunk of it have been removed from casting the spell and slowly being filled up. Pointing to the remaining goblin Evan commanded

“Umbra! Go!! I choose you”

The wolf-dog jumped to Evan’s shadow and appeared behind the still living chief goblin. In doing so, the fangs of Umbra elongated and enveloped by inky shadow as he bites deeply to the shoulder of the goblin.

“Kiee….”

Its body vanishes and with that, they managed to clear out the entire area. Moving forward, the pair finally encounters the Goblin Witch in idling animation of dancing & chanting in unknown language.

Thankfully, the pair hasn’t enter the field and triggering the fight so they can prepare before entering. Evan summons something adjacent to him.

Fast as a blink, a floating octahedron emerge & hovers around him. Evan can see its crystal-clear form, but it is invisible in other people vision. Before him, the panel that shows the POV of the mana core emerges. He commanded it to [Warp] moving to a point right in the middle of the boss battle.

--

Silence comes for a while as Evan sigh in relief. The goblin witch doesn’t notice, what is going on as the octahedron still hovering there above & in middle of the field. He tapped & stroke Umbra’s fur as he casted a supportive spell.

“[Protection]”

A veil of mana engulfed Umbra protecting him from physical attacks. Evan then enters the field with Umbra as the goblin chants goes quiet noticing the intrusion. It shrieks and begun a quick ritual in summoning the living tar as per the boss encounter goes.

“GRRR!!!”

Umbra leaped forward and bite the living tar with an expression of disgust.

“I promise I’ll give you lot of treats okay?”

Evan quickly commented earning a reply of disgruntled grunt from the wolf-dog.

He separated himself from the wolf-dog, pointing his index finger to the goblin witch. Crackles of electricity condenses into a point on his index finger as a bolt of lightning shoots from it.

Hitting the goblin. Earning a shrieking reply from the goblin witch

“KIEE!!!”

The witch retaliate by pointing her skull staff towards Evan and shoot a sphere of flame. By seeing how the witch weave the mana, Evan tampers with the spell by unravelling the weave, the flame vanishes before it reaches him.

“Kie?!”

The witch look surprised from the spell as Evan took that chance to weave a spell by swirling his hands together.

“[Electro Sphere]!!”

*CRACKLE *CRACKLE A swirling sphere of electricity appeared near her as it pulses & arcs a bolt of lightning towards her, it pierces her torso leaving behind scorch marks.

“KIEEEEE”

It appears to hit a significant amount of damage as Evan follow suit with his own bolt of lightning from his index finger.

The battle went on with Evan dismantle any rituals or magics that the goblin witch casted allowing him to fight the battle one-sided with Evan winning.

Upon her health drop to 50% by judging by how she looks, all haggard and her clothing torn & singed by the arcing electricity. She point her staff as the living tar turn into a golem and hardened into spikes. She then wave her skull staff towards Evan with the golem move closer quicker compared to liquid form towards him.

“Heh! I expected that”

It tries to stab Evan, but the mage folded the mana around him as his figure disappeared and reappeared right on top of Umbra. Evan currently riding on the wolf-dog’s back.

The wolf-dog moves at an incredible speed, fighting against the hardened living tar. Taking damage in between since Umbra used his body as a shield preventing the tar golem from attacking Evan. The mage touches Umbra’s fur and cast healing spell recovering his HP back to full.

Due to Umbra’s erratic movement and Evan’s view to the witch is blocked, he cannot aim the witch for spells resulting a stalemate.

Umbra taking damage from the tar golem and Evan continues to heal the wolf-dog. In addition, whenever the witch tries to attack using spells or making a ritual. The mage just unravels the weave of mana preventing it from happening.

Rest assured, Evan had something else in his sleeve. Bending his neck up, he can see the octahedron floating on top before looking down to the panel showing the POV of the octahedron.

It appears to be showing him a direct view at the witch queen perfect for gaining information on where she is. Umbra kept on moving his body to take damage from the golem as Evan closes his eye and begun weaving mana.

“Strange… I close my eyes and now I feel like I’m in the octahedron seeing the witch clearly”

Upon Evan mould the mana, the crystal changed its form into a four-triangle pointing inwards as it shoot a bolt of lightning similar to the spell that Evan used to whittle down the witch. Dealing damage once again, seeing it happens in the panel & his mind Evan can’t help but to cheer himself & Umbra since the wolf-dog is protecting him.

“I see… I see… so that’s how you use this”

Evan slowly learns on how to alternate between the POV of the mana core and his own character. Changing in between too quickly made him a bit nauseous as he heals Umbra.

The witch sees where the bolts coming out. She point her wrinkly finger up to the air emitting the very same spell of [Fireball] with Evan quickly unravel the threads of mana of that spell making it vanish instantly.

“Hehehe… it’s quite bad match-up fighting against me eh?”

 Evan seems proud of himself albeit he is constantly being jostled around riding Umbra’s back.

“I better finish this!”

He can see the witch getting considerably weakened, he lifted his hand up and swirls it together weaving the mana above. With that, thick black clouds begun to gather above the battlefield accompanied by the sounds of rumbling thunder.

Before long, Evan clenched both of his fist and pull something heavy to the ground.

“[Lightning Strike]!!”

 In doing so, the rumbling intensifies before a massive bolt of lightning emerge out from the clouds and crashing down upon the witch.

*CRASH “KIEEEE!!!”

Her shriek echo through the cavern as her body vanish and with that the living tar melted to the ground the mechanic that held it together disperses.

Umbra stopped jostling Evan around, seeing the battle have ended as the mage just lay down on his back taking a quick rest in the wolf-dog’s fluffy fur.

“Haaah….”

He sighed, although it doesn’t consume a lot of his MP, it affects Evan mentally making him tired due to concentration required and the constant changing perspective from the mana core then to himself to keep healing Umbra. Before long, a prompt appeared before him.

Congratulations for completing the dungeon [Claw Peak Cavern]!

 

He can see a box appeared on the panel as he tapped it. It opens and presented him the rewards in tackling the dungeon. He gain several EXPs enough to gain several levels at once with multiple pings accompanied it. In addition to 1000 GC, he also get several items.

[Black Tar]

Rarity:

Uncommon

Category:

Misc.

Consumable:

Yes (One-Use)

Bound:

No

Worth:

50 GC

Weight:

0.2 gram

Requirement to use:

None

Description:

A glass flask containing a viscous black liquid. It is highly flammable and last for quite some time.

Effect:

Can be thrown and make the content spreads to 5 metre area. The surface coated with this tar are highly flammable & explosive.

 

He also gets some [Goblin’s Ears] a misc. item similar to [Slime Jellies] that have no function beside being sold to gain GC. Evan quickly sold them all, giving him around 300 GC. In total, a single run of dungeon have earned him 1300GC

“No wonder, why ‘big’ guilds dispute over combat dungeons. It is a quick & easy way to gain money in this world or in real life.”

 Evan shrug his shoulder and think about their constant conflict over dungeons leading to guild wars. The game ‘Eidolon’ did not even implemented guild wars and the players made the event by themselves.

After that, Evan came out from the dungeon. Greeted with the view of rocky cliffs and the occasional grunts & shouts from players nearby fighting against a group of mountain goblins. He quickly tap Umbra as their figure teleported to the familiar small glade.

Evan flip over his bag of perpetual dog treats dumping down 1 kg of treats then quickly swish his right hand. The treats that fell to the ground, hovers & move it appears to be dancing in cartoonish fashion.

Certainly one would know where he copy that magical effects from, as they prances around Umbra. Keeping the wolf-dog busy in catching the food while Evan quickly opens their status panel.

[Magie Magia] $559 GC: 2950

Level

40

Class

None

Race

Variant Hyuman

HP

4000

MP

4000 (+6000) (+2260) = [11260]

MP Regen (MPR)

10 (+60) (+22.6) = [92.6]

SP

4000

Status

STR

8

DEX

6

CON

10

INT

18 (+60) (+148) = [226]

WIS

15

Skills

Actives

[Summon Umbra]

Upon using this skill, summon Umbra to accompany you. You can cast this skill again to dismiss Umbra.

Note: If Umbra has been defeated, he will return to a safe pocket dimension to rest, and this skill will be on cooldown

CD: 300 Seconds

[Summon Mana Core]

Upon using this skill, you summon a construct type creature named ‘Mana Core’. The amount of ‘Mana Core(s)’ you summon depends on your INT. Each 500 INT you have, increases the number of summon by one.

Note: This skill will go on cooldown when all of your ‘Mana Core’ is destroyed.

CD: 300 Seconds.

[Mana Shield]

This skill can be toggled on/off.

When it is on, whenever you take damage ignore 50% of the damage taken and the other 50% would be inflicted to your MP instead.

Note: If your MP is reduced to 0 by this effect. This skill is automatically turned off, unable to be used for 10 seconds, stuns you for 2 seconds, and the excess that would be taken will be inflicted to your HP.

[Mana Gathering]

This skill can be toggled on/off

When it is on, double your current MP Regen & physical damage taken. For each 2 seconds after the skill is toggled on, double it again. This can stack infinitely.

Note: When this skill is toggled on, you cannot move but able to take actions.

Passives

[Mana Mastery LV2]

INT+70 . MP+ 7000. MP Regen + 70 per second. Spell Cost, Cooldown, and Chanting Time reduced by 60%. Spell Power & Duration increased by 60%.

 

Allows you to weave stronger magics and senses the flow of mana like its second nature.

Titles

<Mana Controller (Exclusive)> (Req: Upgrading [Mana Control LV 10] to [Mana Mastery LV1])

·         You will gain +1 Permanent INT status whenever you ‘understand’ magics (Including your variation of magics)

·         For every INT you have, increase your vulnerability to physical damage (1 INT = +1% Physical Damage Taken).

·         For every INT you have, increase your maximum MP and MP Regen per second (1 INT = +10 Max MP and +0.1 MPR)

·         For every INT you have, increase your Magic Resistance and Status Resistance (1 INT = 1% of MR & SR)

<Slime Conqueror> (Req: Kill 1000 slimes)

Increase damage dealt to Ooze type creature by 50%.

 

Mana Core

Level

1

Class

None

Race

Construct

HP

1

MP

1

SP

1

Status

STR

1

DEX

1

CON

1

INT

1

WIS

1

Skills

Actives

[Warp] (30 metre radius)

This creature teleports to a point within range.

CD: 10 Seconds

Passives

[Shared Sense] (Unlimited Range)

Share this creature senses such as hearing & sight telepathically with its summoner without making its summoner blind & deaf. (Magie Magia)

[Shared Casting] (Unlimited Range)

When its summoner cast a spell, the summoner can cast the spell as if they are in the ‘Mana Core’ position

[Invisibility]

This creature is treated as invisible unless they are able to see using magical means or have innate ability to do so.

[Immovable]

This creature cannot move except the usage of its own skill [Warp]

 

 

 

[Magic]

[Knowledge]

Destruction:

Adept

Restoration:

Adept

Abjuration:

Adept

Illusion:

Adept

Transmutation:

Adept

Divination:

Adept

Conjuration:

Adept

 

 

 

Umbra

Level

40

Type

Magic Beast

HP

13500

MP

4700

SP

10500

Status

STR

278

DEX

252

CON

213

INT

145

WIS

125

Skills

 

Actives

[Shadow Bite] Melee Attack

(150+STR% Accuracy) Deal (5 times of STR) of piercing damage

[Shadow Howl] AoE Attack (10 metre radius)

(150+STR%) Inflict the status effect Fear for 4 seconds

CD: 30 Seconds

[Shadow Strike] Melee Attack

(250+STR% Accuracy) Deals (10 times of STR) of piercing damage. Deals double damage if the target is attacked from behind.

CD: 10 Seconds

[Shadow Leap] Movement (30 metre radius)

Upon activation, emerge from the target shadow right on their back.

CD: 10 Seconds

Passives

[Keen Sense] (30 metre ft radius)

Able to sense approaching creatures surrounding the user.

 

[Shared Sense] (Unlimited range)

Share the user senses such as hearing and eyesight to Evan.

 

After seeing that, he deem himself satisfied and closes the panel. Turning his head to the side, he noticed that the panel displaying the POV of the mana core still exist that surprises Evan.

“huh… it works this far?”

Evan thought as he smiles mischievously adding a new strategy in his arsenal for the battle-royale event.

Since the mana core got ejected from the dungeon, he can see the entrance of the [Claw Peak Cavern] clearly. Although it is devoid of people, he doesn’t want to re-challenge it again since he’s too tired.

“Battling isn’t my forte, but I think I’ll manage in the battle royale with LV 40 especially if I can attack in long-range”

Evan lay down on the grass field using Umbra’s rump as a pillow. The dancing treats comes to Umbra’s wide-open mouth. He clearly entertained by the magics weaved by Evan without using too much of a thought. Enjoying their time together, time move by quickly with the salty breeze passing through their hair & fur.

Evan lazily press the inventory panel and open his travelling garden to harvest before closing it again. *Hoamz* He yawned as he says farewell to Umbra, he then logs out with it the mana core crumbles into nothingness. With Umbra leap back to the shadow of Evan.

Arriving at his condo, Evan make a nice dinner and took a quick hot shower before finally fell asleep awaiting for tomorrow to come.

7